• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INSIDE Review Thread (Playdead's new game, devs of Limbo)

"Brilliant sound design"

Supporting the shit out of these devs day uno.
The devs did a GDC talk on the sound design.

GDC Talk: A Game That Listens - The Audio of INSIDE
http://gdcvault.com/play/1023731/A-Game-That-Listens-The
Communication between a game and an audio engine is often a one-way street. The game passes information to the audio engine whereby audio is played back. With no information going the other way around, the game resembles a dancer unable to hear and respond to the sound playing.

Being a temporal medium, sound often plays a key role in articulating temporal qualities such as pace, suspense and release. In order to retain continuity in such temporal experiences, and transition seamlessly from one temporal quality to another, the game needs to listen and adapt to the sound playing.

Using Playdead's INSIDE as an example, various approaches to feedback loops between game and audio that have resulted in a refined temporal flow of the gameplay experience will be demonstrated. Examples include audio-driven gameplay, situations in which sound conducts in-game actions, and seamlessly incorporating death-respawn situations in the overall sound structure.

I understand why reviewers talk about it, but I hate going into a game knowing
a big twist is coming
. I wish journalists could find a way to sing praises for a game without bringing things like this up.

I thought that there are some spoilers and just closed the tab fast. Lmao
What it is about? No, don't tell me pls.

It's not really spoilery but if you're already sold on the game, just skip reading anything more about INSIDE until you've finished it. That's what I'm doing.

Evo X

Amazing. They barely marketed it, but it's turning out to be one of the highest rated games of the year. Loved Limbo. Definitely gonna pick this up.

Anyone know if it's a Play Anywhere cross buy title with X1 and PC?

Fuck! Going dark till PS4 release. Wasn't there a year gap between Limbo 360 and PS3? Hopefully not that long of a wait this time.

Yes, but there was also a year gap between 360 and PC for Limbo. Since the PC version of INSIDE is out next week, I don't think the gap from XB1 to PS4 is going to be nearly as long....but honestly, who knows.

Kebiinu

Banned
Woah, reviews look excellent, and I loved LIMBO. Had no idea about this game, but it's immediately on my radar. Thanks for this OT! I'm so excited for it!

hwalker84

Amazing. They barely marketed it, but it's turning out to be one of the highest rated games of the year. Loved Limbo. Definitely gonna pick this up.

Anyone know if it's a Play Anywhere cross buy title with X1 and PC?

I can in here to ask this. Though I think the answer will probably be no.

Vinc

How similar to Limbo is this? There's a lot I loved about Limbo, and I liked it enough to finish it, but for my taste, I only partially enjoyed it. I wonder how I'd feel about this one... but I'm scared to look up stuff about it because spoilers seem to be everywhere right now.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
How similar to Limbo is this? There's a lot I loved about Limbo, and I liked it enough to finish it, but for my taste, I only partially enjoyed it. I wonder how I'd feel about this one... but I'm scared to look up stuff about it because spoilers seem to be everywhere right now.

It's dramatically better than Limbo in every way but particularly in puzzle/gameplay design, which is a lot more robust and involved, and in the sheer scale of the environments and scenarios.

This probably sounds hyperbolic, but Limbo seriously feels like a proof of concept or prototype next to Inside. God I am dying to see what people think about some of the insane shit in this game.

Maedhros

People who don't loved Limbo should stay away from this game I guess.

Not my case. Will buy it next week, surely. Looks fantastic. Hopefully we get some very hard secrets in this game too, like the white blobs in Limbo. Some of them were impossible to find without guides or if you weren't looking for them.

Newboi

Read a few reviews...proceeded to Steam...purchased Inside.

Of course it comes out the day I go out of town though lol.

chadboban

I fell in love with this game's atmosphere the instant they first showed it back at E3 2014. Glad it seems like playdead have delivered again.

I was very surprised by Limbo. Some well regarded indi games just don't grab me all the way through, but Limbo was fantastic

Ill wait for ps4 version, which sounds like a long wait unfortunately

Unanimous praise on this one. Microsoft really needed a high scoring console exclusive, because they definitely appeared to be lacking this year.

It's always great when a game turns out to be spectacular. Cuphead is very promising, too. Indies are really amazing!

Unanimous praise on this one. Microsoft really needed a high scoring console exclusive, because they definitely appeared to be lacking this year.

It's always great when a game turns out to be spectacular. Cuphead is very promising, too. Indies are really amazing!
Cuphead will be that console exclusive. INSIDE is coming to ps4, I think.

Hype levels max. A short 4 hour game is just what I need.

Montresor

I wonder why so many Xbox exclusives have "the cat out of the bag" in terms of timed exclusivity but so few PS4 exclusives have the same. It's just annoying to me. I don't mean I'm annoyed this game is coming to PS4! Not at all. I want to play my games on XB1, and I think the more people can play a game, the better. This game seems like one with earth-shattering great quality, so the more the merrier.

But look at Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4. Microsoft tried to be scummy with Tomb Raider but "the cat got out of the bag" pretty quickly with that game - everyone knew quickly it was timed exclusive. Same with Dead Rising 4. Meanwhile I'm left wondering whether a shit load of third party games will ever come over to XB1 (Persona 5, The Witness, Talos Principle, Transistor, Fez, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Dust An Elysian Tail, etc...). I mean no one has come out and said "these games are lifetime console exclusive" explicitly. I would just appreciate some journalist out there confirming for sure "this game will never come out on XB1" or "this game will eventually come out on XB1".

Now having said, I should put that offtopic post aside and instead celebrate the incredible review scores this game is getting. I actually LOVED the surprise E3 trailer for this game and I'm so hyped to play it. I have it preordered on XB1 and I really can't wait until tomorrow to dive in. :)

Instro

That just means it's not a game for you, not that the reviews aren't genuine impressions

Well yes, but I think I can be skeptical of their opinions regardless of whether they are genuine.

It's dramatically better than Limbo in every way but particularly in puzzle/gameplay design, which is a lot more robust and involved, and in the sheer scale of the environments and scenarios.

This probably sounds hyperbolic, but Limbo seriously feels like a proof of concept or prototype next to Inside. God I am dying to see what people think about some of the insane shit in this game.

That's encouraging, my main issues with Limbo stem from the game design.

I wonder why so many Xbox exclusives have "the cat out of the bag" in terms of timed exclusivity but so few PS4 exclusives have the same. It's just annoying to me. I don't mean I'm annoyed this game is coming to PS4! Not at all. I want to play my games on XB1, and I think the more people can play a game, the better. This game seems like one with earth-shattering great quality, so the more the merrier.

But look at Tomb Raider and Dead Rising 4. Microsoft tried to be scummy with Tomb Raider but "the cat got out of the bag" pretty quickly with that game - everyone knew quickly it was timed exclusive. Same with Dead Rising 4. Meanwhile I'm left wondering whether a shit load of third party games will ever come over to XB1 (Persona 5, The Witness, Talos Principle, Transistor, Fez, Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Dust An Elysian Tail, etc...). I mean no one has come out and said "these games are lifetime console exclusive" explicitly. I would just appreciate some journalist out there confirming for sure "this game will never come out on XB1" or "this game will eventually come out on XB1".

Now having said, I should put that offtopic post aside and instead celebrate the incredible review scores this game is getting. I actually LOVED the surprise E3 trailer for this game and I'm so hyped to play it. I have it preordered on XB1 and I really can't wait until tomorrow to dive in. :)

Persona 5 likely won't come to XB1 because there seems to be very little audience for JRPGs on the system.

A lot of the other games you mentioned were 360 console exclusives last gen, which is why they finally made their way to PS4 this generation. Most of them will likely be available via 360 BC eventually.

Tall Paul

Awesome reviews!! Enjoyed Limbo but got very frustrated at times, this seems to balance those out, not reading to much as certainly seems a game to go into fresh. Defo getting this tommorow £15.99 in the uk but always bit cheaper if you get credit online, think I got a free £5 credit from MS a few weeks back for a movie so can use it on this!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The pedigree and scores are enough for me. I know nothing about this game, thanks to the ambiguous E3 stage show trailers.

Dusting the One off tonight...

Super Meat Boy is on Xbone via backwards compatibility

Watched ign and gamespot reviews and I know enough to know I am going to like it . Thankfully both reviews show similar scenes to each other so no major spoilers , and both say the ending and overall story are amazing which is what sells me the most.

Can't wait to try it .

Top Bottom