• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

Sans the gold IAPs (which are completely pointless IMO after having played this game and Rodeo's past games for 100s of hours without ever coming close to even feeling the need for more currency) the rest of the IAPs are actual extra content.

This is the good kind of IAP model.

Yup, I'm quite loving the look of ios gaming these days. Two trends have my full support.

Relatively pricier games is a good thing. There are a lot of new games releasing at 5€+ (still really cheap) and, I presume this is linked, IMHO they look like 'real' games. Good production value, design or longevity, etc... the fact that you paid for something more substantial is apparent. Not that I dislike cheap games but I would think the store being choke full of this type of game is detrimental to everyone, even to them.
And there is the trend of unlockable content by IAP. Meaningful content, be it an expansion, units that add even a little bit to the gameplay, etc.. This reminds me a lot of the shareware days and I love it.
No IAP to have the fucking permission to continue playing for another 15 minutes, IAP that add to the experience.

May it continue this way.

8 row/columns instead of 7, a few minor twists like bombs that clear mutliple blocks, and a lot more variety to the way scoring is done. Eighty Eight feels like a slightly more fleshed out take on the concept, but I prefer the lesser amount of rows/columns in Drop 7 since it makes the pace of games brisker.

Thanks for that. I seem to get bored of Drop 7 too quickly and it appears to be very similar to Eighty Eight, so I may pass on it and continue trying to figure out how to get a decent score on RUA2 instead!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The OP is prepped, impressions lacking of course - I'm reserving that for the release versions of games. ;)

Trailer

Based on the classic tabletop game, Warhammer Quest is an addictive mix of role-playing and strategy.

Level up your party of heroes. Loot weapons, armour and mysterious artefacts from fallen enemies. Crush Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and more ferocious enemies!

Game Features:
- 3 additional Heroes available via IAP
- Fight the Skaven in a huge expansion via IAP
- 25+ hours of gameplay (including expansion)

GAF Says:

No [non-beta] impressions added yet​

Trailer

* Play the first 2 episodes of "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney" for free. The Trilogy HD includes "PW: Ace Attorney", PW: Ace Attorney - Justice For All", and "PW: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations". Each of these three games can be purchased separately or all together in one bundle. Note: You cannot purchase individual episodes separately.

Join lawyer Phoenix Wright in his quest to defend the innocent and find the truth behind 14 exciting cases. Prepare for your epic courtroom showdowns by investigating crime scenes, collecting evidence, and questioning witnesses. Use evidence and the testimonies of witnesses to your advantage as you battle for the life of your client. Nothing less of a full acquittal will do in this court of law! Find the contradictions in witnesses' testimony to expose the truth!

GAF Says:

No impressions yet​

ooooh that's why its 11pm.

Never knew that :O

It probably -should- be midnight right now because of daylight savings; Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands apparently don't participate in daylight savings time, so right now they're synced up with the east coast. In practice, I don't know...

I'm sure people have seen my negative impressions on Ace Attorney HD already based on the JP release. I'll give it another shot but I still find the redone character artwork to be awful. The background art is really nice though.

It probably -should- be midnight right now because of daylight savings; Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands apparently don't participate in daylight savings time, so right now they're synced up with the east coast. In practice, I don't know...

I'm sure people have seen my negative impressions on Ace Attorney HD already based on the JP release. I'll give it another shot but I still find the redone character artwork to be awful. The background art is really nice though.

I remember you mentioning the transitions were laggy, anything gameplay ui issues?

igor

Anybody know what time the store updates in uk land I'm ding to try warhammer and magika...

Guess we have to wait until midnight...

I've never played a Phoenix Wright game before, but I am interested in this. What is the gameplay like?

It's a rather basic point and click game (investigation part) and a visual novel in the court, more or less (finding what's fishy about the testimony, presenting counter evidence and all that) - game has fun story, interesting (most of the time) cases and really memorable cast of characters... If you don't like first 2 free episodes, you won't like the game.
One of the best titles from nintendo DS

dyergram

I've never played a Phoenix Wright game before, but I am interested in this. What is the gameplay like?
It's a bit like a point and click adventure with has courtroom bits where you have to catch people out lying using the clues you have found. All tied together with Japanese mentalness.

Since I got into iOS gaming again after updating my iPhone to iOS 5, does anyone know if any of the anime-ish card games like Dark Bound and Celestial Crystalia are available in English? It seems like the were before but now are not o.o

RedShift

I've only played the first one that was on iOS but it's basically a series of murder mystery stories where you play the protagonist. You have to guess what happened but then also back it up with an appropriate piece of evidence.

Also the stories aren't as 'cartoony' as the art style would suggest. I was kind of taken aback when the first story talks about sugar daddies.

Great fun though, try the first two stories, they're free.

Minsc

Gold Member

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Full disclosure: I haven't looked too deeply at Tubro League specifically and how it handles it's app <> server interactions but in general I know it's super easy to obfuscate this stuff on the iOS platform with virtually no trace of anything being 'wrong' thanks to Apple's authentication system. Parly because I happen to work with this sort of thing on the preventive side of things.

With some rudimentary knowledge of how iOS devices communicate it's easy to intercept what an app sends to a server, whether its Game Center or an app's native leaderboard server and then modify those values to whatever you want on the fly without compromising the packets being sent. Not just limited to scores but also currencies gained by 'gameplay' and whatever else one can acrue.

We are quite aware of the insecurity of iOS in general, but the competition stuff is pretty sound given submitted scores come with a bunch of other encrypted data used to very the validity of the score. We aren't relying on Apple authentication at all.

The competition also has a fixed snail config, so even if people are pirating currency (which of course has been happening), it won't help them.

igor said:
Great to see new updates to RUA2 but dat new icon :(

New Adult Swim policy I'm afrid. Expect that to start turning up on all Adult Swim titles as they update.

New Adult Swim policy I'm afrid. Expect that to start turning up on all Adult Swim titles as they update.

Yeah, I noticed Super Mole Escape got it awhile back. I don't mind it, and if I didn't put all of the Adult Swim games in their own folder it would remind me where it came from.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Phoenix Wright games are some of my favourite gaming experiences ever, certainly of the past 10 years or so. Would recommend them to anyone.

They ruined LA Noir's interrogation mechanism for me (and the whole game really). Just didnt live up to a proper investigation or interrogation experience after playing PW.

Phoenix Wright games are some of my favourite gaming experiences ever, certainly of the past 10 years or so. Would recommend them to anyone.

They ruined LA Noir's interrogation mechanism for me (and the whole game really). Just didnt live up to a proper investigation or interrogation experience after playing PW.

doesnt' help that LA Noir's interrogation system makes zero sense. And I beat the game with and without a guide.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Really excited for WHQ, that's going to be my main iOS game for the next month, I can feel it. I need to stop myself downloading PW though, I KNOW that I won't like it, but I know what I'm like and that I'm going to waste an hour of my time convincing myself I might enjoy it. At least it's free unlike that godamn TWEWY debacle :p

Really excited for WHQ, that's going to be my main iOS game for the next month, I can feel it. I need to stop myself downloading PW though, I KNOW that I won't like it, but I know what I'm like and that I'm going to waste an hour of my time convincing myself I might enjoy it. At least it's free unlike that godamn TWEWY debacle :p

PW and TWEWY are nothing alike though... PW is more along Ghost Trick's lines (being the same creator) but with observation and deductive reasoning rather than puzzle solving.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
PW and TWEWY are nothing alike though... PW is more along Ghost Trick's lines (being the same creator) but with observation and deductive reasoning rather than puzzle solving.

It's just all that talking, I just can't get through it. For some reason, entirely my own, I read it all in the same super exclamatory tone which just makes it tiring to get through. I figure a story based game will have a lot of talking.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
An 8-minute video of Kingdom Rush Frontiers has been posted on IGN (http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/05/29/ign-plays-kingdom-rush-frontiers), great work always Justin. There appear to be a lot of IAPs, $8 for a specific hero.

Purchasable heroes just like KR1. It seems silly that a single hero costs more than double what the entire game costs, but if someone wants to pay it, I'm not mad at Ironhide giving them the opportunity, as long as the game is balanced without considering these heroes.

At first I was worried that Frontiers would be too easy, but it's back to kicking my ass around halfway through the campaign.

colinp

Banned
Purchasable heroes just like KR1. It seems silly that a single hero costs more than double what the entire game costs, but if someone wants to pay it, I'm not mad at Ironhide giving them the opportunity, as long as the game is balanced without considering these heroes.

At first I was worried that Frontiers would be too easy, but it's back to kicking my ass around halfway through the campaign.

Was 999 the other game you mentioned last week or so?

Won't lie, I really want to see how that dragon plays in the game. But $8.00? Goddamn.

Yeah, good luck to them if people buy at that point, but $8 is just way too high. I mean it is a good tower defense game, but I don't even consider it to be in my personal top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom