• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Update 1.1 for Robot Unicorn Attack 2 is now live.

New features:
- New Horns! Bone Daddy, Cyber Shell & Moon Dasher
- New Trails! Red Death, Automatic Deception, & Laser Drive
- Level cap raised to 24
- Music store automatically unlocked – no more having to wait until after Rank 5
- New in-store items
- Bug Fixes
- Optimizations

More stuff in development and on the way.

Also, anybody from the US competing in Turbo Racing League for iOS/Android/Win Phone for the big cash prizes? For 8 weeks the top 10 people on the competition leaderboard get from $25k for 1st down to $1k for 10th, with the top winners competing for a bigger prize at the end.

We've already given away the first $50k of the prize pool. Kind of surprised to see more people in here not giving it a shot to be honest. Thought GAF would be all over it :/ Would be great to see some people here win.

More details here if you want to jump in http://www.facebook.com/TurboRacingLeague

GWX

So much good stuff coming to the App Store in the following weeks. Can't for Kingdom Rush Frontiers and Ace Attorney, specially.

Good god. New Star Soccer. I hadn't heard of it before today and now I'm hopelessly addicted. It's like the Game Dev Story fix I've missed for the last couple of years.

I'm sure it's old news to regulars of this thread, but man great game. Even if you're not a huge soccer fan specifically, it's worth playing.

ToxicAdam

Yea, NSS is addictive as hell. I don't even like soccer. The only shame with it is once you are 'done' you really are done with it.

PFD

Good god. New Star Soccer. I hadn't heard of it before today and now I'm hopelessly addicted. It's like the Game Dev Story fix I've missed for the last couple of years.

I'm sure it's old news to regulars of this thread, but man great game. Even if you're not a huge soccer fan specifically, it's worth playing.

Yup, great game. I also don't like soccer too much and still enjoyed it.

RustyO

Yes. Great game. Only complaint is you cap out kind of quick... and when you do, you're basically done with it.

My guy is like 22, I've purchased everything I can, and have 100% ratings for club/country boss/teams/fans. (Girlfriend/Sponsers constantly depreciate anyway.) and only really have the World Cup to chase now...

My career:

01 : ?? : Conference South
01 : ?? : Conference North (Moved in transfer window) : 2nd in league
02 : Altrincham : National Conference Playoff Winners : 2nd in league
03 : Paris-Saint Germain : 9th in Ligue 1 (Everyone hated me in Paris, EVERYONE! The boss, the team, the fans, the sponsers, my girlfriend. Surpised I wasn't sent to the guillotine.)
04 : Ajax : Champions League, 2nd in Eredivisie
05 : Manchester United : Europa League, 2nd in Premier League
06 : Manchester United : Premier League, FA Cup, Champions League (58a, 38g)
06 : England : European Championships

Heel

Speaking of soccer, Soccer Tactics looks really interesting. Saw it on Pocket Tactics the other day.

mzl.xabibpvt.480x480-75.jpg

Free with IAPs of some kind, iPad only. They're looking to add multiplayer eventually. Gonna give it a spin sooner or later.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I think the game has been out a while right now, but I'm liking Cut the Rope Time Travel a lot. They are introducing some really cool mechanics in this game. For a buck is a no brainier.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!
Think this is it.
Also, anybody from the US competing in Turbo Racing League for iOS/Android/Win Phone for the big cash prizes? For 8 weeks the top 10 people on the competition leaderboard get from $25k for 1st down to $1k for 10th, with the top winners competing for a bigger prize at the end.

We've already given away the first $50k of the prize pool. Kind of surprised to see more people in here not giving it a shot to be honest. Thought GAF would be all over it :/ Would be great to see some people here win.

More details here if you want to jump in http://www.facebook.com/TurboRacingLeague
Looked at it, while I'm not US, and it seems way too easy to fake a score for it to be worth it.

Wolfie5

Ace Attorney HD is out on the 30th but when is that actually? Is there a designated time that the app store always updates?

Really looking forward to this one. Only played Phonix Wright: Ace Attorney on iPhone before and enjoyed playing that game. Will buy the second and third part of the trilogy for iPad.

Don´t see any reason to buy the first one again just because it´s in HD. I mean there is not much replayability, since you pretty much know what to do.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Looked at it, while I'm not US, and it seems way too easy to fake a score for it to be worth it.

How?

We can tell whether people have hacked the scores and either hard or soft fail them. There is a huge amount of verification going on behind the scenes.

Argh!!!!

Can't believe Kingdom Rush is coming next week. I'm only bloody away and won't be able to grab it. Would have been the perfect game to play on the plane :(

krYlon

Apparently 999 is out for iPhone and iPad in Japan only, although without the escape puzzles:

http://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/ssn-999/

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/9shi-jian9ren9no-fei-smart/id643241607?l=en&mt=8

I'd actually really like to go through 999 again without the puzzles. It was an absolute pain having to replay them on every playthrough.

Will be interesting to see if they release VLR with puzzles. My guess would be yes as it would be pretty easy to convert the vita version.

The best thing about this is that they can now release the third game simultaneously on 3ds, vita and ios! I sold my Vita and now I dont have to rebuy it for Zero Escape 3!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How?

We can tell whether people have hacked the scores and either hard or soft fail them. There is a huge amount of verification going on behind the scenes.

Full disclosure: I haven't looked too deeply at Tubro League specifically and how it handles it's app <> server interactions but in general I know it's super easy to obfuscate this stuff on the iOS platform with virtually no trace of anything being 'wrong' thanks to Apple's authentication system. Parly because I happen to work with this sort of thing on the preventive side of things.

With some rudimentary knowledge of how iOS devices communicate it's easy to intercept what an app sends to a server, whether its Game Center or an app's native leaderboard server and then modify those values to whatever you want on the fly without compromising the packets being sent. Not just limited to scores but also currencies gained by 'gameplay' and whatever else one can acrue.

Not to shit on the contest, that's not my intent. I'm just a very cynical person with this type of stuff in general. :D I wish you dudes the best with it and I'm certain you have some talented folk wrangling with the fishy contestants on your end.

Also, RUA2 update Yes! thank you. More to grind. :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

This past weekend I had a fight in my brain - I was trying to finish FF4 on iPad but it was nice and sunny out and I wanted to sit in the garden. iPad won :|

Is there some kind of screen cover that's good for using it outside?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I have the damn beta game on my iPhone right now, yet I still am excited for mystery reasons.

The game is 731 MB, $4.99 or equivalent.

Lead your group of brave adventurers through the perilous dungeons of the Warhammer World in the search
for wealth and glory!

Based on the classic tabletop game, Warhammer Quest is an addictive mix of role-playing and strategy.

Level up your party of heroes. Loot weapons, armour and mysterious artefacts from fallen enemies. Crush
Orcs, Goblins, Trolls and more ferocious enemies!

What perils lurk in the darkness? Only the mightiest warriors will survive!

Game Features:
&#9679; iCloud support
&#9679; Intense dungeon battles with Orcs, Goblins, and more
&#9679; Travel across the Warhammer World
&#9679; Retina support
&#9679; 3 additional Heroes available via IAP
&#9679; Fight the Skaven in a huge expansion via IAP
&#9679; 25+ hours of gameplay (including expansion)
&#9679; English, French, Italian, German and Spanish. More translations coming soon

Link of future awesome: https://itunes.apple.com/app/warhammer-quest/id573516833

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This past weekend I had a fight in my brain - I was trying to finish FF4 on iPad but it was nice and sunny out and I wanted to sit in the garden. iPad won :|

Is there some kind of screen cover that's good for using it outside?

Unfortunately I think the best thing is something like this:
landingpagetext1_grande.jpg

igor

Everyone's so excited about that Warhanmer game I'm really curious about it myself now- to people who played both hunters games and the beta - how difficult is it? Is it fair difficult like let's say shin megami tensei nocturne or very punishing like demons souls or dark souls? (Sorry these are the only hard games I can relate to)? I have to say I embraced iOS games mostly for their casual nature. Is it basically like Diablo with turn based fights a la final fantasy tactics?? That sounds almost too good (though as you've noticed I'm more into Japanese style video games)!

Also cautiously excited for new Phoenix Wright: if I can purchase only the last one that would be sweet - I wouldn't mind replaying the first one but the second one becomes a chore to get through unfortunately, mostly because of really annoying cases and some characters.

Great to see new updates to RUA2 but dat new icon :(

PittaGAF

I have the damn beta game on my iPhone right now, yet I still am excited for mystery reasons.

Me too!!!
Too bad I can't transfer my party...I'm super excited to replay it fully.
Despite having bought other games (very good and absorbing too, like Eclipse) I can't help but playing Warhammer Quest.

The game is 731 MB, $4.99 or equivalent.

How much are the IAPs?

It looks decent, but I'm not sure about it at that price and file size. Anybody know if there are multi-square enemies?

Anilones

How much are the IAPs?

It looks decent, but I'm not sure about it at that price and file size. Anybody know if there are multi-square enemies?

From Toucharcade:
In NZD

Warrior Packs

Erzmagier $4.19
Trollslayer $4.19
Warrior Priest $4.19

Region & enemy Packs

La Amenaza Oculta $6.49

Purchasable Gold

4,000 Gold $4.19
18,000 Gold $13.99
60,000 Gold $38.99

PittaGAF

Thanks...yeah I don't know, anything with purchasable gold is automatically a bit of a turn off if I'm paying up front.

I'll let somebody else take one for the team this time and will wait and see for a few days.

For what is worth, I've completed the game plus expansion and I'm sitting on a huge pile of money.
I'm not even sure who in the world would buy iap gold (same in Hunters 2, btw).
In the beginning you are a poor adventurer, and this adds to strategy too (will I buy that cool sword or that useful health potion?).

Really it's not 'one of those games'.
It's an hardcore game....I do not even know why they put it there (as in Hunters)...apparently same people wants masterwork epic loot in the first hour.

Really it's not 'one of those games'.
It's an hardcore game....I do not even know why they put it there (as in Hunters)...apparently same people wants masterwork epic loot in the first hour.

Yeah that makes sense... I suppose I just don't get who buys a game and then pays extra to make their enjoyment end quicker.

Probably too much praise to really ignore it now .... This can be your game that you recommend and I buy. Everybody gets one ;)

PittaGAF

Yeah that makes sense... I suppose I just don't get who buys a game and then pays extra to make their enjoyment end quicker.

Probably too much praise to really ignore it now .... This can be your game that you recommend and I buy. Everybody gets one ;).... Stupid neogaf :|

Well, not considering the lengthy main quest campaign (took me around 15 hours + other 15 for the expansion, more or less) the whole point of the game is getting loot and riches.
I can't belive one would buy the game and then spend another 30 dollars (LOL!!!) to buy some weapons he would get nonetheless (having great fun meanwhile).
What they will do then? Stare at their characters?
They will die nonetheless tough.

I can just testify the balance of the game was IMHO perfect (I would have preferred a tad more difficult second part, but many others said differently....plus I've always the hardcore mode to crush my ego).

Just my 2 cents.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It sounds like an IAP fest ....

Sans the gold IAPs (which are completely pointless IMO after having played this game and Rodeo's past games for 100s of hours without ever coming close to even feeling the need for more currency) the rest of the IAPs are actual extra content.

This is the good kind of IAP model.

ParityBit

Sans the gold IAPs (which are completely pointless IMO after having played this game and Rodeo's past games for 100s of hours without ever coming close to even feeling the need for more currency) the rest of the IAPs are actual extra content.

What exactly does the extra content give you? Seems like my wallet may be taking a nice little hit this week. :) That makes me happy!

SteveWD40

I am gonna buy all the iap day one, not only because this game is right up my street but to support a good IAP model: content and no timers etc...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Apparently 999 is out for iPhone and iPad in Japan only, although without the escape puzzles:

http://www.spike-chunsoft.co.jp/ssn-999/

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/9shi-jian9ren9no-fei-smart/id643241607?l=en&mt=8
Even without puzzles I'd love to have it on my phone.
One of the most interesting implementations of dual-screen gets lost in translation unfortunately.
Always nice to see adventure games and VNs being ported to any system as they need all the exposure they can get.

I'd actually really like to go through 999 again without the puzzles. It was an absolute pain having to replay them on every playthrough.

Will be interesting to see if they release VLR with puzzles. My guess would be yes as it would be pretty easy to convert the vita version.

The best thing about this is that they can now release the third game simultaneously on 3ds, vita and ios! I sold my Vita and now I dont have to rebuy it for Zero Escape 3!
VLR on iOS would be damn sweet, one of the few 3DS games that I'm interested in. Good call on the Vita version, hope they're considering it.

PittaGAF

I even wonder why they put it in it.
I really can't imagine people buying it...so it's more detrimental than anything.
Luckily they balance their games without considering it, so it's not a problem.
But I really would like to know someone who bought gold iaps in a Rodeo game (besides just wanting to show support).

too many posts to dig through here, but in short, if I enjoyed hunter 2, would i expect a similar experience with warhammer?

And so many games... probably pick up phoenix wright today... lol frozen synapse still has the 'new' banner on my ipad ;_;

ToxicAdam

still has the 'new' banner on my ipad ;_;

I know the feel.

My current routine with my Ipad:

1) Use TouchArcade app (and this thread) to find new games
2) Download Games
3) Play the one game I am addicted to for 1-2 hours (currently Golf Star or Ace Patrol)
4) Turn off Ipad

The games keep piling up. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom