• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I don't have an iTunes link yet. Sometimes I get the url early, before it's live, and sometimes I don't. This time I didn't.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Someone should make a new thread for KOTOR once it's out tbh. :)

From what I hear the port is solid, I'll feature it in the Gaming OP in June (May OP is full hehe, no character space for more games once WHQ/PW impressions are in there).

Playing Phoenix Wright and loving it since I never played played past the first one. I can deal with no iPhone 5 support but no cloud save is trash when Ghost Trick had it.

Also I made one of the Objection Gifs and the message you get when you email it is in Japanese and the link in the email goes to a Japanese Capcom page. Doesn't get more sloppy than that.

Really impressed with Warhammer Quest thusfar and I wasn't really a massive Hunters fan. It has that delightful mix of being super simple to understand and control while being fairly brutal and unforgiving if you start fucking around. Good times.

SteveWD40

Odd issue in WHQ, I did a side dungeon for a hammer, said I also got 1200 gold, yet no such amount is added to my total. I did have to cross a river on the way to town but it didn't say it had been washed away...

It's really cool seeing stuff like XCOM and KOTOR coming to iOS.

It sounds like KOTOR is out soon? If it runs decently on an iPad 3 I'll pick it up, I've been wanting to replay it for awhile.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
how does that work? Do you read it outloud?

You know how in bad anime dubs everyone speaks very quickly and with no nuance to their voices? Like that. I think it's because the character portraits are usually yelling or have some strong facial expression going on. I think that, for me, Japanese games are often way too talky. Even FFT bored the shit out of me in the cutscenes.

colinp

Banned
Wait, what? KOTOR is out tonight? Or XCOM? Because either one of those will make my week. Move over FF4!

Hunters worked well on the phone, I don't see why this won't. Just get used to zooming in.

KOTOR is supposed to be out tonight.

Really curious to know how much it will be. Not sure i have the credit for both KOTOR and Kingdom Rush next week. Thinking KOTOR might get put on the back burner for a bit.

WHQ is great fun. I enjoy it much more than Hunters 2. My poor wizard! How do you get more spell power each turn? By leveling up?

igor

WHQ is great fun. I enjoy it much more than Hunters 2. My poor wizard! How do you get more spell power each turn? By leveling up?

Yeah I don't know how does the Mage work really, you have to kill mob to get that winds thing that you consume for spells but sometimes I have enough and still can't use them.
Otherwise it's a nice game, completely not my cup of tea but so far I have fun on casual (what have I become...). I wish it was a bit faster cause it feels quite clunky.

clockpunk

My word, Warhammer Quest *and* KotOR in the same day?

With Agricola coming closer to release, and I just found out about Atari's Rollercoaster Tycoon iOS in development... what a day for mobile gaming.

I just hope this means we might see KotOR2 sometime down the line, which was the game that truly won me over to Bioware.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How does iCloud backup work? Which games use it? If I delete The Room and download it later will it still have my save game?

The Room doesn't support iCloud saves so no, if you delete the game your save game goes with it.

I just hope this means we might see KotOR2 sometime down the line, which was the game that truly won me over to Bioware.

Bioware didn't make KOTOR 2. :p

colinp

Banned
Yeah I don't know how does the Mage work really, you have to kill mob to get that winds thing that you consume for spells but sometimes I have enough and still can't use them.
Otherwise it's a nice game, completely not my cup of tea but so far I have fun on casual (what have I become...). I wish it was a bit faster cause it feels quite clunky.

Yeah, I don't mind the ponderous feel too much. Strategic and all that. Hate being surprised by a whole slew of enemies all of the sudden though! Argh!

deim0s

I think this review nails what's missing at the moment with WHQ:
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/05/29/in-warhammer-quest-the-emperor-has-no-dice/

Bought the game but still yet to play it. I scanned over the review, seems they need to work on explaining rules more clearly or make things tabletop-y.

Danneee

Played Warhammer Quest for a couple of hours and, although a well made game, it is extremely repetitive. Corridor-room with enemies-repeat. Sometimes random stuff happens that affects your stats (described solely in the t) and sometimes more enemies appear. Apart from that and some battles have limited amount if turns it is the same thing over and over, dungeons so far have small color variations but the rooms and corridors are mostly the same size (might change later in the game but I doubt it).

I'd give it 5/10 (5 being extremely average). Surely worth the cost if you like the genre but nothing special, I miss the more open environments of the Hunters games.

krYlon

Yeah, early days yet but I can't get into Warhammer Quest, it's just not engaging me strategically. Not sure what I was expecting, I couldnt get into Hunters either, I guess I just wanted some Hero Quest nostalgia.

I hope Space Hulk is a more faithful boardgame conversion.

Maybe I should try Talisman.

heringer

I think this review nails what's missing at the moment with WHQ:
http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/05/29/in-warhammer-quest-the-emperor-has-no-dice/

Bought the game but still yet to play it. I scanned over the review, seems they need to work on explaining rules more clearly or make things tabletop-y.

This caught my attention:

It’s amusing how sometimes seemingly random things happen. My elf catches Nurgle’s Rot and gets -1 toughness for the next dungeon. Ha ha. Wait, what does toughness do? My dwarf gambled away a bunch of our money at the tavern. Typical. But these only go so far when I don’t care about the characters — all pre-named, by the way — because I’m effectively shut out of the gameplay mechanics and therefore I don’t have the information I need to make decisions about them. Should the elf get closer before he shoots for a better chance to hit? How likely is the wizard to get enough mana for his healing mist next turn? Why are my hit points called wounds? What does strength do? Because I have this +1 strength ring and I have no idea who to give it to. Ooh, this axe has the feature “chance to slam”. Unfortunately, “chance to slam” is entirely unexplained. What chance? And what does slam mean? Warhammer Quest thinks I don’t care. Fair enough, Warhammer Quest. Because now I don’t care.

Actually, the whole review talks about how crucial information is missing, which is a fair criticism I think. I already bought the game based on beta impressions though... I should learn to always wait for more impressions, I'm too eager to,buy iOS stuff.

Oh, and having to turn your iPad to open the inventory is probably one of the dumbest design choices I've ever saw.

kennah

Five bucks per character? Holy shit that is insane. No wonder PittaGAF was so happy with the game. He didn't have to pay for it. :p

Ah. Checking the App Store it is $3 each. The screen shot in the review is wrong. So $5 for the game. $9 for the characters and $5 for the dungeon add on. Guess I'm waiting. Was looking forward to this one too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Five bucks per character? Holy shit that is insane. No wonder PittaGAF was so happy with the game. He didn't have to pay for it. :p

Ah. Checking the App Store it is $3 each. The screen shot in the review is wrong. So $5 for the game. $9 for the characters and $5 for the dungeon add on. Guess I'm waiting. Was looking forward to this one too.

The $ in the review is NZ dollars, not US.

They might have been the NZ prices

Edit: Too slow :)

TwiztidElf

WHQ crashes often on my ipad2 when moving into the next room and encountering new monsters. Have to reboot my ipad to keep playing WHQ. Disappointing as the little i've seen of it so far is pretty good. Hopefully it gets patched.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

What are you waiting for? I doubt the optional DLC will go on sale.

Actually, the whole review talks about how crucial information is missing, which is a fair criticism I think. I already bought the game based on beta impressions though... I should learn to always wait for more impressions, I'm too eager to,buy iOS stuff.

Oh, and having to turn your iPad to open the inventory is probably one of the dumbest design choices I've ever saw.

I can't really argue with what is in the review. My current issues are:

* The inventory switching (It isn't a "fix it right now" issue, but it is certainly a "don't do something so stupid again" point of contention)
* The slow pace of movement and attacking, it would be better if it were snappier.
* Dice rolls need to be exposed. I can sort of see why they would want to hide all that stuff...but you are best to make generic action loot crawler #1232324 if you are worried about those demographics.
* It is already getting pretty repetitive. What kind of hurts more in this regard is the IAPs for new characters. Just having them free and available would have probably opened things up a bit more.

In terms of the other probably common points, I'm mostly ok with the lack of explanation. I do have a high tolerance for figuring stuff like that out though, so others might have to factor that in.

Overall? I think the game has some real issues and I'm finding myself wondering more and more why I would be playing it above other recent releases like Eclipse. Even Talisman Prig has captured my attention a little bit more to date and contrasts nicely in terms of feedback given.

It is always hard to talk in real terms about ios games though. I mean I spent $4 on buying Bully off amazon today just to have it in my steam library. In that regard, and perhaps confusingly, I think it is still well worth the asking price...but probably not worth buying at this point. That is unless the dev has a good history of introducing patches and new features?

colinp

Banned
Yeah, the lack of info isn't hurting my WHQ experience much. I figure things will make sense in time, still early goings so maybe i'll be bothered more in the future. I thought the slow speed would bother me since it made it impossible for me to enjoy Talisman, but eh it's alright. Knocking out that last enemy with an archer always makes me smile.

Still glad I picked it up.

Phoenix Wright HD thoughts

Thoughts after playing both the first and second case twice, once on iphone 5, once on ipad mini.

Oddly enough for a game delayed a year, it still seems like it was designed for iphone 4s. The game doesn't fill the screen of the iphone 5 or ipad (It really does look like a iphone game at 2x on ipad). This doesn't bother me, and is a key reason why I got black ios devices, so the borders would be less apparent for non native apps.

And another crazy thing, the game looks better the smaller the device you play it on. It looks pretty great on iphone. While the character sprites look kinda goofy, the backgrounds for investigations look really great (court room... eh). On ipad, the 'this looks like intern work with photoshop' flaws are a lot more apparent, but that can kinda be addressed if you play the game in portrait mode aka 'DS mode'. This also addresses the issue that this game is really hard to enjoy on the larger ipad screen because 90% of the time you are reading a text window while watching the sprites move... which is tiring if your face is near the ipad at all. Being able to read the text and see the sprite without moving your eyeballs up and down is ideal... which would require most people to have the ipad far away.

So yeah, on iphone, play landscape (portrait is a teenie bit too small, but do-able. No real benefit though). On ipad, play portrait mode.

Other than that... besides framerate being a bit choppy... which is more of an irritation than a big gamechanger (this isn't some twitch action game), this port is fine, and still totally worth it at the price.

As someone that has replayed the series multiple times on DS, it's quite refreshing going through it again with a 'different' look.

Also, while there is no icloud support, they fortunately allow you to play pretty much any Day of any case at any time from the main menu, and you can skip through dialogue by holding the -> button... which pretty much addresses the big gameplay issues people had with this series in the past. True icloud support would have been nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom