• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

This is why you need to check on either when the next iDevice will PROBABLY be announced or follow the pattern: I knew they were going to announce a new one around now because they did it at almost the same time last year.

And the event was already announced for about 2 weeks before and even during the middle of September the rumors of the 22nd October event were floating around.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If you can't look things up usually you can at least reality check. Do electronics tend to get heavier or lighter over time? Does this assertion seem odd? Usually that means it's a good idea to double check.

I would take the same weight of last year model along with an increase in battery life.

Yawn.

Also, calling the heaviest iPad yet the "iPad Air" is some of the most outlandishly bullshit marketing I've ever seen.

iPad (first generation)
Wi-Fi model: 1.5 lb (680 g)
3G model: 1.6 lb (730 g)

iPad 2
Wi-Fi model: 1.325 lb (601 g)
GSM 3G (AT&T/global) model: 1.351 lb (613 g)
CDMA 3G (Verizon) model: 1.338 lb (607 g)

iPad (third generation)
Wi-Fi model: 1.44 lb (650 g)
4G (LTE) model: 1.46 lb (660 g)

iPad (fourth generation)
Wi-Fi model: 1.44 lb (650 g)
4G (LTE) model: 1.46 lb (660 g)

iPad Air
1 pound (469 g)

Relative to other iPads, the name doesn't lie. However, I do agree that it's a bit misleading when considering the lineup of iPads available to purchase.

Davidion

I'm glad to see the iPad air's landing page continue iOS7's legacy of pointless animations and obscured bottom nav.

The device should at least be nice.

Maedhros

After all these years and I still don't get the appeal of tablets... it's one of these things that's really not for me. I used an iPad mini for some days and found it so meh...

Maybe I'm getting old...

Giolon

Yawn.

Also, calling the heaviest iPad yet the "iPad Air" is some of the most outlandishly bullshit marketing I've ever seen.

Uh....the iPad 3 & 4 weighs 1.45 lbs. iPad 2 weigh 1.3 lbs. iPad 1 weighs 1.5 lbs.

iPad Air weighs 1 lb, and it's the heaviest yet? Do you math?

I'll see how much it is with my data plan but I'll probably upgrade from a 32GB iPad 3 to a 128 Air.

Having to buy a new Smart Cover is a bit annoying though.

What happened to the iPad 3 and 4? Did they just ditch those models? Doesn't the iPad 2 lack the Lightning connector?

The iPad 3 was already ditched when the 4th came out and was "forgotten". The iPad Mini 2 is supposed to replace the iPad4 IIRC during the keynote.

potam

Banned
I am so utterly confused about this.

With that said, the mini with retina display does pique my interest.

Merino

Best deal of the new line IMO:
I really don't understand the presence of the iPad 2 in this list.
It's 2,5 years old and we've had three new iterations since then.

edit//
lol, should have refreshed before posting. Seems like everyone else caught onto it aswell :D

Apple needs a new product line. This seems like a pretty good revision, but they're losing the excitement halo that they once had. Their hardware is starting to blend in with their competition more and more, and that has more to do with the buzz surrounding new products than how advance or different their products were from similar offerings.

If they don't find a way to bring out an exciting and new product line, I think Apple is going to find itself in a low margin game with its competitors.

iammeiam

I like the new Smart Case design a LOT more than the current one; I may actually get one of those alongside the Air instead of just picking up a new Smart Cover.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
$400.

for an iPad 2.

In 2013.

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Man, who would buy the ipad2? 400. Just get the mini with the better performance or the extra 100 for the air. I don't get it. I mean, I get it for apple, others, idk.

Quick

Banned
Not a fan of the "Air" name, but it's not a big deal.

I'm tempted to pick up a new iPad, but I think I'll wait it out and see what they come up with in a year if I haven't been tempted to pick one up by then.

Also, I think we should just have one general iPad official thread at this point.

Rookje

tumblr_muxc4eAGKz1r5kkj0o1_500.gif

Fkk, I want the new Mini but I already have the old one. Think its worth it to sell the old one and get the new one? In theory every gen it will lose resale value.

This is still just a tablet right? I'd be all in if it came with iOS7 and OSX, with an optional magnetic snap on keyboard/track pad.

Top Bottom