• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Deadstar

Can someone who knows please talk to me about two things, space and color.

How much space do I need? This will be my first ipad and I'm going with the air. I feel like 16 gig is a rip off and ridiculous and 128 is too expensive so it's between 32 and 64. How soon would I fill up my 32 gig if I download a bunch of apps and games? Is it better to go with the 64 longterm if I won't be upgrading for many years?

How about color? I realize it's mainly a style preference but what about usability? I feel like the black might be better when watching video however the white border might make the screen appear brighter which I think would be better for my eyes personally.

It always confuses me every time they don't upgrade the relatively poor front facing camera on the iPad, it hasn't changed in 3 generations now. Everybody else is going 1080p and they're still stuck on 720p, its not like they haven't had multiple opportunities to beat the others either since they were ahead at one point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

How much space do I need? This will be my first ipad and I'm going with the air. I feel like 16 gig is a rip off and ridiculous and 128 is too expensive so it's between 32 and 64. How soon would I fill up my 32 gig if I download a bunch of apps and games? Is it better to go with the 64 longterm if I won't be upgrading for many years?

How about color? I realize it's mainly a style preference but what about usability? I feel like the black might be better when watching video however the white border might make the screen appear brighter which I think would be better for my eyes personally.

Keep in mind that you lose like 5 gigs to iOS anyway, so you are not even going to have the full 32/64gb of space.

Flek

Banned

depends. If you have a lot of pictures on it 32 gb or more is a must. Personally i only put a movie on it when i need, music via spotify and pictures only the last 1000 via iphoto sharing. With this in mind 16 gb is enough for me. I need way way more space on the iphone and imac where is store all my shit (iphone is loaded with pictures)

rezuth

I have found 32GB to be enough if you don't plan on storing a lot of videos and pictures on it. I have a lot of apps and stream most my entertainment and 32GB has always been enough.

I was on the fence about a mini or a full-size depending on weight. The new ipad, at 1 pound, is close enough to the weight of the mini that I can go back to the larger screened device. I always preferred the 10” screen but I hated how it remained at 1.5 pounds for 2 years straight.

I had my dalliance with a mini for a year, time to go back to original size

I'm on the fence now. I was perfectly committed to getting a Mini but the announcements have made the decision less obvious.

Air Pros:
- Bigger screen
- No compromise on performance
- New weight is finally probably light enough, will need to hold it to be sure though
- Available next week

Cons:
- It's physically bigger than a Mini
- It's still heavier than a Mini
- It costs more

Mini Pros:
- Good size
- Lighter than the Air
- Probably a better size for a two year old to use

Cons:
- Price went up dramatically
- Weight increased
- Thickness increase
- Possible compromise in performance comparison to the Air
- Comes out later

My goal was to have something to use casually with a new baby on the way in mid-November since it'll be easier to move around than a laptop. Also, I think I'm ready to have my 2 and a half year old to be introduced to one, and it'll be good to have her interact with something on her drive to school each day instead of just watching educational videos. I'm a bit worried that the Air might be a bit too big for her to use while holding it in her car seat. I was also hoping to go at least 64 gig, although 128 gig is preferred, so the price stacks up when aiming at that capacity.

The price increase of the Mini, combined with the weight increase, and later release next to a much lighter iPad and much sooner availability has me undecided which way to go. I was all set for a Retina Mini in the old form factor, with the original pricing scheme.

I'm really torn on which way to go.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Have they increased the memory from 1gb on the iPad air??

One of the problems l have with iPad 3 is multi-tab browsing, has to reload tabs sometimes and it's not a problem on my new iPhone 5s, which is now a pleasure to browse on.

Guess Who

Banned
Have the increased the memory from 1gb ??

One of the problem l have with iPad 3 is multi-tab browsing, has to reload tabs sometimes and it's not a problem on my new iPhone 5s, which is now a pleasure to browse on.

Spoiler alert: both your iPad and your iPhone have 1GB of RAM.

It's unclear, they may be the same, some people speculate there may be more RAM or a higher clock speed but no one knows yet. Even in that case, the ipad mini seems a better choice for me. I love the smaller form factor.

True that's what I was thinking. Since the Mini 2 also has the A7 chip along with the retina, I don't see any justification in spending the extra $100 for a couple of extra inches.

Vyer

I'm on the fence now. I was perfectly committed to getting a Mini but the announcements have made the decision less obvious.

Air Pros:
- Bigger screen
- No compromise on performance
- New weight is finally probably light enough, will need to hold it to be sure though
- Available next week

Cons:
- It's physically bigger than a Mini
- It's still heavier than a Mini
- It costs more

Mini Pros:
- Good size
- Lighter than the Air
- Probably a better size for a two year old to use

Cons:
- Price went up dramatically
- Weight increased
- Thickness increase
- Possible compromise in performance comparison to the Air
- Comes out later

My goal was to have something to use casually with a new baby on the way in mid-November since it'll be easier to move around than a laptop. Also, I think I'm ready to have my 2 and a half year old to be introduced to one, and it'll be good to have her interact with something on her drive to school each day instead of just watching educational videos. I'm a bit worried that the Air might be a bit too big for her to use while holding it in her car seat. I was also hoping to go at least 64 gig, although 128 gig is preferred, so the price stacks up when aiming at that capacity.

The price increase of the Mini, combined with the weight increase, and later release next to a much lighter iPad and much sooner availability has me undecided which way to go. I was all set for a Retina Mini in the old form factor, with the original pricing scheme.

I'm really torn on which way to go.

If it helps you any, your kid would probably set it down in her lap anyhow instead of holding it the whole time.

My son is 4 and he would actually use an iPad 3 from time to time last year. We limit his time with stuff like that but he didn't seem to have any trouble with it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I still have no reason to tell people to buy an ipad vs other tablet options. WIth a straight face who can?
Apple has a far better ecosystem. Its a pretty easy sell if you already have an iphone, macbook air or macbook pro. It really makes no sense to go anywhere else.

This looks nice, and I do plan on fondling one before I purchase, but that Mini Retina 128GB is looking just a little more perfect at $100 less. o_O

Pagusas

Elden Member
serious question, do you think we will see true multitasking in iOS 8? If there is one thing I love about the MS Surface, its being able to snap a video to the side and continue surfing the web. Countless times I've been on my iPad watching something and wanting to look up something or reply to an email. I hate having to stop everything to do a simple task.

reKon

Banned
Apple has a far better ecosystem. Its a pretty easy sell if you already have an iphone, macbook air or macbook pro. It really makes no sense to go anywhere else.

It's a little different now a days because the competition has changed to be more competitive and now price is actually having more of a impact because it's such a stark difference.

I know people who got a tablet mainly for browsing/media and people who needed to get something easy to use for their parents. So the comparison now is whether someone would think that $229 Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini $399. It doesn't matter if the iPad Mini has a better ecosystem if the persons use a very limited anyways to simple media which is what people primarily use their tablets for (reading, browsing, youtube, watching TV).

On one hand you have a device that has a great screen/performance, good battery life, built in GPS, and extremely portable. On the other hand you have a device with more quality apps, great screen, better ecosystem, good battery life, and very good customer service.

The $170 difference isn't something to take lightly when convincing people to choose an iPad Mini over the Nexus if their use is that limited for their tablet to begin with.

ScOULaris

WOW. It's fucking nothing. Will wait for iPad 6 and iPhone 6.

If apple doesn't wow me with those I am going to move elsewhere

Um, what did you expect? When was the last time Apple wowed you with one of its iterative product launches? The original iPhone, maybe? Or maybe the first iPad? Everything since then has been the same old minor updates.

Apple is not in the business of wowing anybody but the easily amused.

All that being said, I do think that this is a nice update for the iPad. The thickness and weight in particular are pretty significant compared to its main competition.

The Air is what I expected from apple, new processor, slightly lighter, same price or more, not less.

I'm more upset about their choices with the retina mini, it's a £50 price increase, only £80 less then the Air but half the size, the old mini was £269 which was such a sweet spot for the mini.

It's a little different now a days because the competition has changed to be more competitive and now price is actually having more of a impact because it's such a stark difference.

I know people who got a tablet mainly for browsing/media and people who needed to get something easy to use for their parents. So the comparison now is whether someone would think that $229 Nexus 7 vs iPad Mini $399. It doesn't matter if the iPad Mini has a better ecosystem if the persons use a very limited anyways to simple media which is what people primarily use their tablets for (reading, browsing, youtube, watching TV).

On one hand you have a device that has a great screen/performance, good battery life, built in GPS, and extremely portable. On the other hand you have a device with more quality apps, great screen, better ecosystem, good battery life, and very good customer service.

The $170 difference isn't something to take lightly when convincing people to choose an iPad Mini over the Nexus if their use is that limited for their tablet to begin with.

It's kinda funny/weird. It used to be, the iPad is great because they're not power users and don't need everything a computer does. Now we've entered an age where there are power users of a tablet, and those who aren't.

The Air is what I expected from apple, new processor, slightly lighter, same price or more, not less.

I'm more upset about their choices with the retina mini, it's a £50 price increase, only £80 less then the Air but half the size, the old mini was £269 which was such a sweet spot for the mini.

The 80 pound difference is air 16 gb and mini 32 gb and air 9.7 inch and mini 7 inch

Cheech

The Smart Cases are easy to find online way below retail. Don't sweat.

If it's too cheap though, it's a knockoff. Learned that one the hard way.

I'm using the red poly case for my 4, and it's perfect. Much happier with it than every other case I've tried.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'd try Craigslist first.

I would just go trade it in at Gamestop. They will give you a better price then most of the asshats on craigslist. I got $220 for my iPad 2 while people on Craigslist were lowballing the fuck out of me. I got e-mails like this real one all the time.

Hey are you still selling your iPad 2? Ill be frank here, Its not worth more than 100 especially with the new line coming out in less than a month. Ill give you 110$. Let me know

That was in August...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So is the ipad 2, a new ipad or is it the original ipad 2, and is the ipad air the ipad (5)? If so what happened to the ipad (4)? Ipad (3) was the one with a retina display without the hardware boost to power it right?

I would just go trade it in at Gamestop. They will give you a better price then most of the asshats on craigslist. I got $220 for my iPad 2 while people on Craigslist were lowballing the fuck out of me. I got e-mails like this real one all the time.

That was in August...
Was that $220 in cash or credit?

TylerD

So is the ipad 2, a new ipad or is it the original ipad 2, and is the ipad air the ipad (5)? If so what happened to the ipad (4)? Ipad (3) was the one with a retina display without the hardware boost to power it right?

The original iPad 2 at $400 buckaroos. iPad Air is the new generation iPad.

neoism

smart case pricing is ridiculous especially when those things aren't even that great, build quality wise.

Probably can find something better on amazon for $10-20.

truth I would never buy a 1st party case... 99% of the time 3rd party ones are always better and cheaper

Even though I said I don't see the point of going an extra $100 for a couple of inches on iPad, I was still battling between getting the Mini 2 and the Air. I'm leaning towards just getting the 32 GB Mini 2 later but I'm not sure. I like my screens as big as possible but the Mini 2 has more PPI.

Somnid

$399 isn't all too expensive considering it has the same specs as the iPad Air (even the resolution is the same).

Nobody said the iPad Air was priced great either. The problem is you can't compare in a vacuum. Apple's business model is on hardware margins but that might become problematic as this goes on.

Top Bottom