• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

I'm in for the 128 GB T-Mobile iPad Air. The 200Mb of free data every month is a great deal, and I have excellent T-Mobile coverage in my area.

reKon

Banned
How much is the new Retina Mini supposed to be? Are they going base it's price on how well the Air is received you think? because....$499 is a bit obnoxious

reKon

Banned
Oh I didn't even realize that the iPad Air IS the new iPad so $499 is normal.

But, seriously, WTF at $399 for iPad Mini. Dat Retina display price jump. Oh well, people don't care and will buy it anyways. If you mainly use your tablet for media/browsing and not as much gaming, I can't see how this would be worth it. $299 I could see a case being made for.

railGUN

Banned
I believe all iPads have started at $499, so it's not any different from the gazillion they've already sold. iPad mini price hike is a bit of a bummer though.

But, seriously, WTF at $399 for iPad Mini. Dat Retina display price jump. Oh well, people don't care and will buy it anyways. If you mainly use your tablet for media/browsing and not as much gaming, I can't see how this would be worth it. $299 I could see a case being made for.

Did you think the A7 would come for free?

If it came with an A6 derivative I could see your point, but it doesn't.

magnetic

Yeah, I´m really glad they put their best mobile processor in that thing, I was completely expecting them to use a weaker version in the Mini to not compete with the iPad Air too much. Instead they made it more expensive, which is fine with me - I use the my old Mini all the time.

The new Mini will replace my old one as my new Pinball Arcade machine, and the A7 means that I can play Twilight Zone at full speed again for sure.

$79 for a Smart Case for the Air should be penalized by law.

Yeah, the profit margins on these things must be absolutely insane.

BFIB

Well, I'll be in for a 32GB Mini.

Though if impressions are positive for the Air, I might just go that route. Really hate that there's no confirmed date for the Mini.

reKon

Banned

Sorry I'm not use Apple's pricing shit where they're bump up the price for everything that's considered a premium. I should be use to this by now. I've spoiled too much by my Nexus 7 and by what the Kindle Fire offers are their price points. Yes, they don't have an A7 processor, but I don't need it because the tablet is snappy, and a multitasking beast.

Yeah, I´m really glad they put their best mobile processor in that thing, I was completely expecting them to use a weaker version in the Mini to not compete with the iPad Air too much. Instead they made it more expensive, which is fine with me - I use the my old Mini all the time.

The new Mini will replace my old one as my new Pinball Arcade machine, and the A7 means that I can play Twilight Zone at full speed again for sure.

I did too as well. If they put an A6 in there, I would probably only pay the $329 of the last mini (maybe not even that, since I got mine when stores started discounting to $300 already). Even the retina bump wasn't that big of a deal to me.

The A7 though really pushed me over, so I'll pay the premium for it since I use my mini so much.

Kinda glad they didn't drop the current mini price too much. Keep that secondary market going :)

Sorry I'm not use Apple's pricing shit where they're bump up the price for everything that's considered a premium. I should be use to this by now. I've spoiled too much by my Nexus 7 and by what the Kindle Fire offers are their price points. Yes, they don't have an A7 processor, but I don't need it because the tablet is snappy, and a multitasking beast.

I'm glad you're happy with the products you buy

kinggroin

Banned
Right. So unless lite content creation is your thing, or you really like iOS gaming, N7 2013 is the best bang for your buck.

Maybe next year.

smart case pricing is ridiculous especially when those things aren't even that great, build quality wise.

Probably can find something better on amazon for $10-20.

LCfiner

I was on the fence about a mini or a full-size depending on weight. The new ipad, at 1 pound, is close enough to the weight of the mini that I can go back to the larger screened device. I always preferred the 10” screen but I hated how it remained at 1.5 pounds for 2 years straight.

I had my dalliance with a mini for a year, time to go back to original size

Eusis

Apple are like Sony at the beginning of the PS3. Except people that love Apple will actually bite on it.
Which basically means Apple is what Sony thought they were and what some of us feared Sony was for people. I was half suspecting Sony had such clout that they'd run away in #1 with the PS3 at $600 anyway... at best they did that years later after price drops that put it at about the same as the 360, and if they're ahead it's by a slim margin, not in all markets, and not over the Wii (yet.)

- J - D -

I'm not surprised/amazed at the slightest by this reveal, but my iPad 2 can barely handle browsing neogaf due to the high odds of there being multiple gifs on each thread page, so I'm kinda thinking of upgrading now.

dorkimoe

no pre order. apple hates my money

upgrading from my ipad 2. Its 2 years old now and slow enough to need* upgrade

*want

So what does the iPad Air offer over the Mini 2 outside of the bigger screen?
It's unclear, they may be the same, some people speculate there may be more RAM or a higher clock speed but no one knows yet. Even in that case, the ipad mini seems a better choice for me. I love the smaller form factor.

something i've noticed having used ipad 2 and own a mini 1st gen. The weight and size hardly matters when you slap on a case. Depends on what you get, it can easily double/triple the thickness and weight... so thinking from that perspective, Air might be the better device with the added screen (not sure if the extra $100 is worth it though).

BFIB

I'll have to actually hold the iPad Air to see how it feels. The main reason I wanted the Mini was for the form factor, and less weight. If the Air fits comfortably in the hands, I may go that route.

reKon

Banned
I'll have to actually hold the iPad Air to see how it feels. The main reason I wanted the Mini was for the form factor, and less weight. If the Air fits comfortably in the hands, I may go that route.

you won't even feel it #lighterthanafeather

Top Bottom