• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Mononoke

Banned
God I love this iPad Air. Trying to figure out what ios games I should get now. Haven't played one in 2 years. Bit trip run and device 6 look good.

LCfiner

Oh, loading the thread? Yeah, let me try that...

well, it certainly took longer to load. Not forever but more remiscent of a desktop chug. But all three are playing. I don't think any of them are running at half speed (the last one in particular is hard to judge because he slams into a corner fast and then is slow coming out) but I definitely think some frames are being dropped. The middle GIF in particular still seems "fast" but not as smooth.

It's worth noting that if you scroll to get only one of the three on-screen I think it's back to being totally smooth.

I wanted to follow up on this. Now that the restore is complete, when I have all three gifs running on screen at once, all of them are running at full speed. So it seems our experiences match up now (and I got a taste of how the background downloading and installing apps can affect performance)

A7 might just be powerful enough to deal with Gaf gif threads without chugging heavy halfway through. brings a tear to my eye!

Mr.Ock

I was dead set on an iPad Air as my first iPad, then today a friend of mine came to my place to configure his Mini, and it's damn light and comfortable to hold, I can type on it quite well and webpages don't seem to suffer too much from the small size. Now I'm torn, I'll have to try the Air and the Retina Mini (and his added weight compared to its non retina brethren) in person before I decide :(

Guess Who

Banned
Lovin' my new iPad Air you guys

TciFRjp.jpg

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Back from pick-up at the Grand Central Station store. In and out in 5 minutes. What a stress free experience.

Now to stare at this thing in my work back till I can get home and get it set up tonight!

I reserved at 5th ave flagship. That place was a nightmare haha. Took only about 15 minutes, but the place was a circus. I just moved to NYC so I wanted to check the place out.

A7 might just be powerful enough to deal with Gaf gif threads without chugging heavy halfway through. brings a tear to my eye!

At least until 4k gifs appear...

(utter madness if we're still relying on animated GIF at 4k though)

Guess Who said:
Lovin' my new iPad Air you guys

You know, this is the one thing I feel was missing from picking up my iPad today. With the 1-3 models they always made a point of opening it up for you and getting it activated in-store (unless you declined). Drags out your purchase, I guess, but guarantees you come out of the store with a working product.

Enjoying it so far. It's a big step up from the mini in every way. Visiting heavyweight sites like The Verge is actually viable now whereas the mini seriously struggled.

It's my first retina display and while it's obviously very nice I'm not experiencing the stunned reaction some seem to have. I suspect it's pervasive though and I would struggle to go back.

I had an ipad 2 before the mini but even though the air is smaller than the two it feels massive compared to the mini. It's great.

Going to be picking up mine later today, although my iMac is being serviced so I'll have to use my older model one until next week when it's fixed (DSL so it's not feasible to re-download).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Kind of surprised at all my fellow iPad 2 holdouts buying the air.

I will walk a lonely road until my 64 gig iPad 2 has terrible battery life, so maybe the iPad 6 (Air 2) will be it.

I'm going to hold out for an air 2 or next model, maybe by then we will see 1.5 or 2GB ram and probably another performance jump, I only really browse and watch video right now anyway.

Ovid

Loving everything about the Air so far. Glad I went white.

Fantastic! A restart solved it. Just strange to have a bug like that but I sold my iPad mini four months ago so this is my first experience with iOS 7.
I went white too. All of my previous iOS devices have been black. I had to switch it up a bit.

Kind of surprised at all my fellow iPad 2 holdouts buying the air.

I will walk a lonely road until my 64 gig iPad 2 has terrible battery life, so maybe the iPad 6 (Air 2) will be it.

I'm still rocking the original iPad. Went all out on it with 64GB and 3G though so I haven't seen the need for an upgrade yet. This was a pretty tempting one and if I wasn't so busy and had time to learn about the differences between all the models now it would be even more tempting. :p

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm guessing they're just the ipad mini speakers right? Isn't this the first big ipad to have stereo speakers?

They are way better than the Mini's, stereo yeah, but these have insanely better range from high to low tones.

Can't really describe it, but you can feel the lower tones rumble through the device.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I'm still rocking the original iPad. Went all out on it with 64GB and 3G though so I haven't seen the need for an upgrade yet. This was a pretty tempting one and if I wasn't so busy and had time to learn about the differences between all the models now it would be even more tempting. :p

It is damn tempting, that's for sure. It is lighter, more powerful, and has tons of awesome improvements.

I am telling myself that I just needed a glass bonded screen and 2 gigs if system ram before I update. Psychology is a scary thing, ha ha ha

solarus

They are way better than the Mini's, stereo yeah, but these have insanely better range from high to low tones.

Can't really describe it, but you can feel the lower tones rumble through the device.
That's awesome, i'm upgrading from a mini to a 32gb air.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the funny little dock connector actually faster than the old one? I'm using my mac mini at the moment which only has USB2, but if it'd sync faster via USB 3 I'd switch to using my PC for backups.

Kind of annoying to have another connector - we'd had just one charger for both family iPads, now we need two.

Fox1304

Tried one today, buth with anti-thief system, so hard to judge the weight. But it feels lightet and tightet that's for sure. Still not sure between this and ipad Mini retina. Coming from an iPad 4. I'll have to get them untethered on hand to decide I guess.

LCfiner

Yeah, a couple hours with a full size iPad and I’ve already had more fun with garageband making fake Mass Effect type synth bullshit musings than I did with the mini all of last year.

Some things really do work much better on that 10” screen. playing a half dozen fake piano keys at once is one of them.

NYR

Got my air. Love it so far.

I love the new Smart Cover. It sticks to the back unlike the last one that just kind of did and hung on barely. This one hugs the body perfectly. Shaped perfectly for the back, no sticking edge. For those that dumped smart covers because they were annoying, time to jump back in.

LeleSocho

Banned
My god this thing is crazy fast. Such an improvement over an iPad 3.
The stereo speaker too are so much better... I am so glad that i've upgraded.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ah... didn't realize they had a tool. Thanks.

Looks like $221. I guess that's better than letting it sit around my house, which is inevitably what I would otherwise do.

I sold my 16gb wifi with all the 4 angles damaged for 300€ in 2 days.
I think you could easily sell yours for at least 400$.

Tom_Cody

Picked up a 32GB WiFi Space Grey & Black Smart Case during my lunch break today.

I work in the Bronx and it ended up being a very easy drive to the Ridge Hill Apple Store in Yonkers. I hadn't even known of that store's existence (the 14th Street store is the closest one to where I live) until it popped up when I was clicking through in-store pick-up options.

I had a sort of frustrating experience trying to pay, though not due to the fault of the employees.

I initially tried to pay for both the iPad and the case with the Apple Store App but the employee holding the iPad told me that he needed to check me out for that item. After talking to him for a second I decided to buy the Smart Case using the App at least just to try it out (I had never used the Apple Store App before). That worked out fine. I then tried to pay for the iPad and my credit card was declined. This was the same CC I had just used a second before to buy the case. I had them try it a few times and then I just decided to pay with my debit card. An hour or so after I left I got a fraud prevention notice from my credit card company (which is what I assumed had happened) and 15 minutes after that I got one from the debit card people. Christ, I guess iPads are popular with credit card thieves. I'm just happy that I was able to leave the store with my goods.

/randomness

An-Det

Picked mine up this morning and am really impressed so far. The apple store was packed, so I was glad I had already ordered since I was in and out quickly. I joked with my friend that I was scared to pull out my galaxy s3 there though since it felt like invasion of the body snatchers there.

My only tablet before this is the original Kindle Fire and I've only run android phones, so there's some things to get used to but overall it's fairly intuitive so far. Setup was super easy, and the device is very smooth. I did a side-by-side comparison with my kindle using the comixology app and was very impressed; before that I hadn't realized quite how big it was and the quality of the screen in comparison. Also did a bit of Netflix and HBO Go, man this screen is fantastic. Really glad I went with the 32 gb too, nice not to have to worry about it. It feels great to hold, this thing is awesome. Now I need to go back and reread the IOS Apps threat for some suggestions.

BFIB

I must say, I really like the smart cover as well. I was planning on holding off on a case, but I figured I'd get one to try it out.

I'm really glad I did. Snapped right on, and really doesn't add any bulk to the device.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Honestly the fact that it is still in stock for in store pickup is making it hard for me to not buy this today. However, I need to be patient. Dropped the cash on the ps4 this month. iPad Air can wait...

I'm a slave to this tech.

Top Bottom