• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Vyer

I gotta say though, I have enjoyed using the Mini and the N7 for a variety of different reasons, but man I forgot how much I missed that bigger hi res screen.

C2nIM7R.jpg
LpbongE.jpg

Didn't 7.0.3 mostly fix those?

Played with the Air at Best buy a bit. The security system is too cumbersome to get a great idea of the weight savings, but i simply don't use my ipad in a way that the weight would make a large enough difference to make the upgrade worth it. Anybody with an ipad 1/2/mini has every reason to upgrade though.

You ain't kidding. That's like a block of metal stuck to the back of each ipad.

I gotta say though, I have enjoyed using the Mini and the N7 for a variety of different reasons, but man I forgot how much I missed that bigger hi res screen.

You ain't kidding. That's like a block of metal stuck to the back of each ipad.

idk, the mini on display is also stuck to a metal thing and the difference is noticeable.

deafmedal

Meh, Safari keeps scrolling to the top when I refresh. I don't like that. But hot damn, typing in portrait is nice. Seems very snappy coming from a 3, now I just need to find a GIF heavy thread that made my old iPad shit itself...

Damn I'm diggin the size and weight.

Edit: Now refresh works right. Whatever Apple... blow me. Okay, works on this thread, but not another... meh.

Played around with this a bit at the Apple Store tonight. Damn, that thing is light compared to older regular sized iPads. VERY tempting. But I have gotten so used to the mini size and weight, will probably wait for the new Mini. But getting the big screen back I had on my first gen iPad is tempting for comic reading.

LCfiner

Meh, Safari keeps scrolling to the top when I refresh. I don't like that. But hot damn, typing in portrait is nice. Seems very snappy coming from a 3, now I just need to find a GIF heavy thread that made my old iPad shit itself...

Damn I'm diggin the size and weight.

Edit: Now refresh works right. Whatever Apple... blow me. Okay, works on this thread, but not another... meh.

I posted a link earlier in this thread to a drive club thread with some gifs of various sizes. the air worked well.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=88265955#post88265955

there’s 40 MB in 3 gifs repeated on that page

@Vyer. same here. one year without a full-size iPad and I missed just how nice that massive screen can be. For some things it doesn’t matter much, but for a lot of cool apps the ipad is still nicer to use than the mini - and blows away the narrow, smaller N7 screen. it’s like the N7 and 10” ipad are completely different devices, almost.

deafmedal

dream

Has anyone tried seating the iPad Air in the old Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard? Is there any way to angle the Air in and have it be relatively stable when seated in the keyboard?

Got an Air today coming from an iPad 4, it's quite a bit lighter but not something I'd hold with one hand just because of the size.

Otherwise it's faster, lighter, slimmer. Chamfered edges feel a little sharp, speakers sound really good but the vibrations from holding it while the speaker plays is a little annoying.

the Mini with retina display may end up being the winner if it feels even lighter in the hand.

Yeah, probably just my bias against first year retina devices.

Though I still enjoy my 3.

The 3 used an A5X which wasn't the right SOC to drive retina, that same issue isn't the case with A7. iPad 3 was ahead of its time, us early adopters paid the price with the underpowered SOC. If anything I'm more worried about the 1gb of ram not holding up over the next few years, that's and issue the Air and mini both face. That's why I'm only getting a 16gb mini and upgrading next year when they add another gig, touch id and better cameras.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Crazy I have had an IPAD mini since its release and just won another ipad mini refurb at a conference that is still in the box. I might as well just sell this thing and look at the air i guess. Where can you find the price that apple will give on their website?

Crazy I have had an IPAD mini since its release and just won another ipad mini refurb at a conference that is still in the box. I might as well just sell this thing and look at the air i guess. Where can you find the price that apple will give on their website?

I would sell it privately, mini first gen still fetch $250-300 for the 16gig.

Coming back to full size from a year with the mini this screen is huuuuuuge. Still undecided if I will return and get mini retina or go air for this year.

It's so damn fast though. Forgot how big this display is.

Juice

For whatever reason the LTE version feels *a lot* heavier to me. Even with the free T-Mobile data I'm sort of regretting my decision.

Edit: I know "9 grams, lulz!" but seriously with my eyes closed and people handing me the two pads it was incredible the difference. Wifi felt magically light and the other one was just a bit of a strain to hold

Guess Who

Banned
For whatever reason the LTE version feels *a lot* heavier to me. Even with the free T-Mobile data I'm sort of regretting my decision.

Edit: I know "9 grams, lulz!" but seriously with my eyes closed and people handing me the two pads it was incredible the difference. Wifi felt magically light and the other one was just a bit of a strain to hold

Oh good, I'm not the only one who noticed their cellular model feels noticeably heavier than the WiFi one.

dorkimoe

I'm sorry. But if the only reason you were buying it was because of the weight.....that's ridiculous

Oh good, I'm not the only one who noticed their cellular model feels noticeably heavier than the WiFi one.

With devices like this, once you get to a certain point, small changes in weight like that are noticeable.

This does not bode well for the 23g weight increase for the new mini.

you have 2weeks to return it no?

play with the ipad mini retina when that hits.

jadedm17

Just bought mine. Screen's already broken. No, not accidental damage. Took it out of the box and there's fucking lines on the screen, kind of like this:

Not there all the time, it comes and goes, but I am hella pissed. Already have a Genius Bar reservation for this afternoon.

Yea, people forget sometimes the acceptable manufacturing failure rate is something like 3%. Apple has always seemed to be above that, but with anything
Xbox 360 firstrun
there's a number of units just DOA.

Bring it back, you should be fine.

Vyer

Played around with this a bit at the Apple Store tonight. Damn, that thing is light compared to older regular sized iPads. VERY tempting. But I have gotten so used to the mini size and weight, will probably wait for the new Mini. But getting the big screen back I had on my first gen iPad is tempting for comic reading.

It will be nice when the mini gets the retina screen, for sure. Still, something to be said for overall screen size.

I'm still gonna check out the mini when it's released, but as of right now I think I'm going to stick with the air.

It will be nice when the mini gets the retina screen, for sure. Still, something to be said for overall screen size.

I'm still gonna check out the mini when it's released, but as of right now I think I'm going to stick with the air.

Yeah, I miss that sweet screen real estate of the full sized screen, but love the weight and form factor of the mini. Playing with the Air for a few minutes in store today was pulling me back to the full sized side.

well to be fair 2" isn't that big of a difference, otherwise i'd just make my 27" monitor vertical for comic reading.

kr2t0s

I totally understand. For me this is how I feel with the Smart Cover. Without it the iPad feels perfect. Then I attach my Smart Cover and it feels back to iPad 3 weight.

I wasn't the only one to make this comment either. Everyone I showed the new iPad air to at work were all shocked by how much weight the Smart Cover added.

Got an Air today coming from an iPad 4, it's quite a bit lighter but not something I'd hold with one hand just because of the size.

Otherwise it's faster, lighter, slimmer. Chamfered edges feel a little sharp, speakers sound really good but the vibrations from holding it while the speaker plays is a little annoying.

the Mini with retina display may end up being the winner if it feels even lighter in the hand.
Thanks for impression.
Waiting for the new mini is getting harder

Mii

Banned
I'm coming from an iPad 3 to an iPad Air (space gray 32gb). I previously had an iPad 2.

While the retina screen of the iPad 3 was very impressive, the size, weight, and battery of iPad 3 were pretty disappointing compared to iPad 2. iPad 3's shortfalls were to be expected though in order to support the retina screen.

In recent months, the demand of both the retina screen and iOS7 on the processor was beginning to really show. Many daily tasks I completed with the iPad slowed to molasses. The iPad 3 iOS7 experience was utter crap, and I needed a change. Once the Air was officially announced, I determined it would be

The iPad Air has totally blown me away. It feels like the intended successor of the iPad 2. The device is light enough that I can hold it upright in the air for hours and not be bothered. The device definitely still needs to be held by two hands, but for short spurts of time I can use just one. The form factor upgrade feels like going from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 5. The lightness and small size of the device leave me in awe.

The device for the most part runs cold unlike the iPad 3. I felt I needed a case for the iPad 3 to shield me from the heat, while I don't notice any heat problems with the Air. Apps before that struggled like GoodReader can now load up any PDF and flip pages without a blink. JPG and GIF heavy threads are loading up on Safari just fine. None of my games are giving me any slowdown anymore.

I consider my Air to be a personal laptop replacement (use a home desktop and work laptop), and I don't think I could live with the screen size of the mini. Regardless, I think most if not all the benefits of the mini are now in the Air as well.

After all the frustrations I had with the iPad 3, the Air is refreshing and a needed update. Anyone still on iPad 3 or below most definitely should update. The processor and form factor improvements are enough to warrant the purchase, and older iPads should still hold decent resale value.

123rl

Anyone else noticed that the wifi reception is much better now? In my bedroom I get about 35-55mb/s from my wifi router. My iPad Air gets closer to 75mb/s. Same network, same conditions, same location etc and the Air is noticeably faster

leng jai

Anyone else noticed that the wifi reception is much better now? In my bedroom I get about 35-55mb/s from my wifi router. My iPad Air gets closer to 75mb/s. Same network, same conditions, same location etc and the Air is noticeably faster

I've noticed that the wifi on thew new Macbook Pros seem to have more range also.

Is that not because of the Air having wifi and that new MIMO? Do not know if the Ipad 3 or 4 had that.

Enco

Played around with one in store.

Feels good.

Pulling down the search box has a tiny bit of lag sometimes. Using five finger close on apps makes the icons jitter towards the end of the animation. Same as with the iPad 3. Not cool. Other than that, it's pretty speedy and the new size is really cool.

Not sure if I should upgrade my iPad 3. Tough call.

As amazing as iOS7 is they should really do something about the overall performance. It works great on the iPad Air but there are still some tiny quirks present that hinder the overall fluidity of the tablet.

Don't forget to turn on the reduce motion option to speed / reduce the animations. Even with the A7 it makes it feel snappier.

Settings - General - Accessibility - Reduce Motion On

Top Bottom