• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

jts

...hate me...
iPad air is so good, but Apple screwed up by not going with 2GB ram :/
I always feel like Apple concepts a perfect device for that year and then goes "but what can we remove without affecting the marketability of it?".

This is an "all-new" iPad after 2-3 years. That's huge. So people won't notice stuff such as the RAM (which is never even mentioned in the spec sheet).

Next year, they keep the same shell, so the focus is in the underpinnings and stuff that can be easily added and well marketed such as the fingerprint sensor. 2GB will be there for tech enthusiasts and a tech press focused on the performance enhancements, as well as for laying groundwork for further iOS development and staying competitive.

icespide

Banned
Played around with one in store.

Feels good.

Pulling down the search box has a tiny bit of lag sometimes. Using five finger close on apps makes the icons jitter towards the end of the animation. Same as with the iPad 3. Not cool. Other than that, it's pretty speedy and the new size is really cool.

Not sure if I should upgrade my iPad 3. Tough call.

pretty sure the 5 finger swipe on iOS7 is just buggy. not a performance thing

Falch

Too bad, I bought my first ipad yesterday, fuck those yearly updates.

I'm still on my first gen iPad.

Too be honest, I hardly use it anymore since I got a Nexus 7.

Might get an Air of one of it's successor if I decide to get back more into photopgraphy while traveling.

jooso

Tested the Air today at a store. Can't believe how light it was compared to my old iPad 4! No problem holding it only in one hand. Probably will wait for the new mini before making any decisions though.

I want one of this things so bad. But I'm fucking broke and my economic situation doesn't look like improving in the near future. Fuck my company, fuck my bosses, fuck, fuck, FUCK indeed.

Torraz

Considering buying my first apple device soon, either an Air or Mini Retina.

Coming from a Nexus 7

Some general questions:

1. Any difference between buying in a normal store as opposed to an apple store (warranty etc.?)

2. How is Apple service / warranty? I had to return my N7 to ASUS for repairs (the first ever electronic device to fail on me, and while it was not quite the nightmare I expected due to reports on the Internet, it could have gone better).

3. How / what to check for out of the box (with regard to possible problems like dead pixels etc.). Any common problems to look out for?

Thanks!

Considering buying my first apple device soon, either an Air or Mini Retina.

Coming from a Nexus 7

Some general questions:

1. Any difference between buying in a normal store as opposed to an apple store (warranty etc.?)

2. How is Apple service / warranty? I had to return my N7 to ASUS for repairs (the first ever electronic device to fail on me, and while it was not quite the nightmare I expected due to reports on the Internet, it could have gone better).

3. How / what to check for out of the box (with regard to possible problems like dead pixels etc.). Any common problems to look out for?

Thanks!
1. Nope.
2. Apple Store Genius appointments (1 year) and Apple Care telephone service (90 days) are pretty good services.
3. The first iPad I bought had a scratch so I immediately returned for a new one, no questions asked. Thee's a dead pixel/light pixel test online you could probably try out in the Apple store's Wi-Fi after buying it.

Guess Who

Banned
Played around with one in store.

Feels good.

Pulling down the search box has a tiny bit of lag sometimes. Using five finger close on apps makes the icons jitter towards the end of the animation. Same as with the iPad 3. Not cool.

Neither of those issues are hardware deficiencies. The five finger gesture animation just cuts off mid animation so the icons sort of suddenly jump into place. Happens on every iPad.

iOS 7 just needs further polish.

Thanks!

Apple are rather good with early problems in devices, I had my iPhone 5 for a week before I noticed a dead pixel around the middle of the screen when playing a game, booked an apple appointment at my local store and within about 10 minutes I had a completely new phone, they even made sure I was able to log in and use it before I walked away.

You can pay for extended cover if you are worried, especially if you plan to buy some expensive gear you want to last.

Not a huge deal but goddamn is it annoying to have to reload them.

I partly blame the safari software as well as ram limits.

Torraz

Apple are rather good with early problems in devices, I had my iPhone 5 for a week before I noticed a dead pixel around the middle of the screen when playing a game, booked an apple appointment at my local store and within about 10 minutes I had a completely new phone, they even made sure I was able to log in and use it before I walked away.

You can pay for extended cover if you are worried, especially if you plan to buy some expensive gear you want to last.

I partly blame the safari software as well as ram limits.

There is no Apple Store close by, I think. I'd be getting it at an electronics retailer.

It is possible to buy this extended warranty separately?

Tabris

Anyone get apple care with the iPad air? I'm still debating it

Do you plan to own it for 2-3 years? If so, buy Apple Care.

If you plan to upgrade each year? Forget about it. As when you sell your previous iPad, the amount of money extra you'll get by selling it with apple care isn't worth the cost of apple care, and you have a 1 year warranty from apple for free.

Do you plan to own it for 2-3 years? If so, buy Apple Care.

If you plan to upgrade each year? Forget about it. As when you sell your previous iPad, the amount of money extra you'll get by selling it with apple care isn't worth the cost of apple care, and you have a 1 year warranty from apple for free.
Default 1 year coverage doesn't include accidental screen breakage though. That might be worth the $99.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like the Air, from what I tried of it in the store, but what really grabbed me was the Mini. Except the Mini Retina being on the horizon is strongly dissuading me from picking up a Mini now.

I want to have some kind of tablet for a trip I'm taking next week, and I can't decide what to do.

Is there ANY chance that the Retina is release next week?

Aiii

So not worth it
To be honest, at least on Chrome, tab reloading is way less annoying now that pages more or less instaload.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I had a wiki page open and New York Times, went back to wiki page and it had reload it (Safari)

The only flaw I have with this product

Atomic browser allows you to turn that off. You can have the browser crash before reloading tabs, but will warn you before it actually happens.

I can keep at least four tabs open at all times. Usually five triggers the low memory warning.

Atomic browser allows you to turn that off. You can have the browser crash before reloading tabs, but will warn you before it actually happens.

I can keep at least four tabs open at all times. Usually five triggers the low memory warning.

Thanks, I'll try that out

I like the Air, from what I tried of it in the store, but what really grabbed me was the Mini. Except the Mini Retina being on the horizon is strongly dissuading me from picking up a Mini now.

I want to have some kind of tablet for a trip I'm taking next week, and I can't decide what to do.

Is there ANY chance that the Retina is release next week?

None

Big Chungus

Still trying to decide between the 16gb and the 32gb ipad air...

Going to use it for mainly boks/comics, a few movies and some gaming(infinity blade 3, monkey island).

Vyer

Still trying to decide between the 16gb and the 32gb ipad air...

Going to use it for mainly boks/comics, a few movies and some gaming(infinity blade 3, monkey island).

are you going to keep the comics/movies on the device? Comixology HD comics can be kind of big, but I tend to delete after reading. Same thing with movies. If you are going to clear stuff after watching, you can probably get by fine with 16GB.

But if you are going to load up on games at one time and keep the comics/movies on the ipad, it will add up quickly.

Big Chungus

are you going to keep the comics/movies on the device? Comixology HD comics can be kind of big, but I tend to delete after reading. Same thing with movies. If you are going to clear stuff after watching, you can probably get by fine with 16GB.

But if you are going to load up on games at one time and keep the comics/movies on the ipad, it will add up quickly.

Yeah i'll porbably keep the comics on there for quite a bit, i'm also trying to scanall my old GamePro/EGM magazine and put them on my ipad, wont read them all at once but it'd be nice to read them once in a while.

Do you recommend the 32gb then?

Vyer

Yeah i'll porbably keep the comics on there for quite a bit, i'm also trying to scanall my old GamePro/EGM magazine and put them on my ipad, wont read them all at once but it'd be nice to read them once in a while.

Do you recommend the 32gb then?

Yeah I'd go 32 in that case, at least.

Ovid

How big of an upgrade would an Air be over an iPad 1?
Dude it's huge. I was rocking an iPad 1 since Day 1.

The Air is simply amazing. I didn't realize how small it was to iPad 1 until I put them side by side.

iPad 1 is like a 10lb weight after holding this thing.

Espresso

Banned
Thanks for your replies. Is 16GB adequate for Carcassonne and books? That's basically all I use my iPad for. With 5.1.1 running on it and its paltry RAM, it's become a hassle to deal with.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Thanks for your replies. Is 16GB adequate for Carcassonne and books? That's basically all I use my iPad for, but with 5.1.1 running on it and its paltry RAM it's becoming more of a hassle to deal with.

Yes. I have 16gb and have always been good with it for all my boardgame apps, reddit, and a few tv shows or movies when travelling.

LCfiner

Thanks for your replies. Is 16GB adequate for Carcassonne and books? That's basically all I use my iPad for. With 5.1.1 running on it and its paltry RAM, it's become a hassle to deal with.

yes. regular books use a tiny amount of space. even with some fancy, multimedia ebooks, you’ll be OK with 16 GB

Top Bottom