• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Pachimari

Just tried out the iPad Air for the first time and oh wow I didn't expect it to be that light and feel that comfortable in the hands. Even holding it with one hand. Wow. I must resist lol.

deafmedal

Today was the first time in a long time I have played with my iPad all day, loving the shit out of it. The new speakers are a major improvement, spent the last couple hours checking out Animoog, propellerhead's Figure, and GarageBand... not audiophile levels and headphones would be better, but perfectly fine for noodling. Awesome :)

the new smartcovers sucks, i like my ipad 2 cover soooooooooooooooooooooooOOO much better. Also the keyboard lags when i input keys, the fuck is this shit apple

Vyer

I haven't noticed any keyboard lag yet.

In fact, iOS 7 has seemed less glitchy on the air than the 5s so far. Might be related to specific apps. I hardly use the Music app on the ipad, whereas I'm in it all the time on the phone.

iammeiam

the new smartcovers sucks, i like my ipad 2 cover soooooooooooooooooooooooOOO much better.

I'm unhappy with the way the Smart Case folded-triangle-stand seems to collapse under slight pressure; it sounds like the new Smart Cover is doing the same thing? I noticed this with the iPad mini; it seems like since there's no longer a fourth segment folded in and magnetically adhering to one of the outer parts of the triangle, the whole base is considerably weaker. It's not as big of a deal with the mini, since I'm usually using the smart cover to prop it up to watch something, but I am noticing on the air that typing causes the base to flatten more often than I'd like.

Not having any keyboard issues yet; I need to try typing some Disqus comments, that always seemed to make my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 lag like crazy.

Got a slight yellowish tint on the left-hand side of my Air - maybe an inch and a half or so on the left when holding it in portrait. Wife's doesn't have that. I have one coming from Apple on Monday, so I'll compare the two and return whichever is worse. Ugh. You'd think the quality control would be better for such an expensive device.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
is charge time better now? hate having to wait hours for my ipad 3/4 to charge

59425.png

PFD

the new smartcovers sucks, i like my ipad 2 cover soooooooooooooooooooooooOOO much better. Also the keyboard lags when i input keys, the fuck is this shit apple

What?? The new smart covers no longer scratch the back of the iPad and are much more sturdy. I hated the flimsy hinges of the old covers.

Just bought my first Apple product in over 7 years. (last thing I bought was an iPod Classic) Got the Air, 32 gig. Question, I plan to use it mostly as a consumption device (Streaming the NBA, NFL, Amazon and Netflix when working out).

Are there any must have (preferably free) apps I should download? They don't have to be streaming apps.

Thanks in advance!

Shearie

I'm unhappy with the way the Smart Case folded-triangle-stand seems to collapse under slight pressure; it sounds like the new Smart Cover is doing the same thing? I noticed this with the iPad mini; it seems like since there's no longer a fourth segment folded in and magnetically adhering to one of the outer parts of the triangle, the whole base is considerably weaker. It's not as big of a deal with the mini, since I'm usually using the smart cover to prop it up to watch something, but I am noticing on the air that typing causes the base to flatten more often than I'd like.

Not having any keyboard issues yet; I need to try typing some Disqus comments, that always seemed to make my iPad 3 and iPhone 5 lag like crazy.

That is completely false about the iPad Mini's Smart Cover. I use to have an iPad 2 with a Smart Cover and it was pretty much unusable in the upright stand position since it would collapse if a slight breeze went by. The Mini's Smart Cover that I've had for a year does not do this. You can tip the Mini around all you like and the cover will not collapse. Since the Air's Smart Cover looks a whole like the Mini's, I'm going to guess it won't collapse under pressure either.

Vyer

Just bought my first Apple product in over 7 years. (last thing I bought was an iPod Classic) Got the Air, 32 gig. Question, I plan to use it mostly as a consumption device (Streaming the NBA, NFL, Amazon and Netflix when working out).

Are there any must have (preferably free) apps I should download? They don't have to be streaming apps.

Thanks in advance!

Some of them will depend on what kind of tv service you have, but most of my streaming apps:

Netflix
Amazon Instant
Watch ESPN
HBO GO
TuneIn Radio (stations from all over the world)
Songza (music streaming, like Shazam)
Downcast (I use this for podcasts)
iTunes Radio (music streaming)

Other than that, what kind of stuff are you looking for? Photo apps? Newsreaders/magazines?

deafmedal

What?? The new smart covers no longer scratch the back of the iPad and are much more sturdy. I hated the flimsy hinges of the old covers.

Agreed, the newer model seems a bit sturdier. Right now I'm balancing my iPad in one hand, holding it from the bottom with the folded up cover and typing with the other. The older style wouldn't stand for such zaniness! I'll still check out other cases in a couple of months but I'm not sure I want to add bulk to this sexy thang.

Some of them will depend on what kind of tv service you have, but most of my streaming apps:

Netflix
Amazon Instant
Watch ESPN
HBO GO
TuneIn Radio (stations from all over the world)
Songza (music streaming, like Shazam)
Downcast (I use this for podcasts)
iTunes Radio (music streaming)

Other than that, what kind of stuff are you looking for? Photo apps? Newsreaders/magazines?

Thanks...we have the same tastes in apps, for the most part.

Just looking for other quirky little apps. Things people dig.

Could be anything.

Juice

Decided to return my iPad Air with cellular in exchange for a Wifi. The extra weight is just too much, and because the weight is top-heavy makes a huge difference when I'm typing in portrait.

Edit: if I'm not insane hating a 9g increase, people are going to *lose their shit* over the 28g increase of the retina mini.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Decided to return my iPad Air with cellular in exchange for a Wifi. The extra weight is just too much, and because the weight is top-heavy makes a huge difference when I'm typing in portrait.

Edit: if I'm not insane hating a 9g increase, people are going to *lose their shit* over the 28g increase of the retina mini.

9 grams?

Shearie

I do think you're insane and in an attempt to not make fun of you, I will not write anything else in this post...

LeleSocho

Banned

In a blindfolded situation you would never guess which is which. 10 grams is like one of these tiny spoons of sugar.
What you've done just gave you a placebo effect.

Cheebo

Banned

The difference is all in your head. No one can detect 9 grams by just holding an object. You imagined it being heavier. All placebo.

If one object was 1g and the other was 10g, you'd be able to tell. But on a near 0.5kg object.... removing 9g made 'a huge difference'? I have got to be kidding.

people are going to *lose their shit* over the 28g increase of the retina mini.
The majority of the first impressions were 'it feels the same'. Even holding the old and new in each hand, people were struggling to detect any difference.

solarus

The ipad air is really nice and noticeably lighter than the ipad 3, and it's great having a big screen again but after having a mini for so long I do admit it is quite unwieldy and really still only ideal for two handed usage, which won't matter to most but for how I use the Ipad it's making me consider returning it and waiting for a retina mini. i have 14 days so I'll try it for another week or so just to make sure, it really is a beautiful device though and very fast. However some apps seem to just crash whenever they want now lol, 64 bit seems to be causing problems, apps need to be updated asap.
Edit: side note, i love the speakers. They're even better than the mini, or maybe it's placebo lol.

If one object was 1g and the other was 10g, you'd be able to tell. But on a near 0.5kg object.... removing 9g made 'a huge difference'? I have got to be kidding.

The majority of the first impressions were 'it feels the same'. Even holding the old and new in each hand, people were struggling to detect any difference.

It might be because the 28g increase is distributed evenly (bigger battery) on the new mini. With the wifi Air vs the LTE one, you've got 9g added to the top which would throw off the balance of the device a bit.

Juice

In a blindfolded situation you would never guess which is which. 10 grams is like one of these tiny spoons of sugar.
What you've done just gave you a placebo effect.

Nope, I blind tested both and could tell every single time easily. I'm super sensitive to it. Weak arms I guess.

Social

Got a slight yellowish tint on the left-hand side of my Air - maybe an inch and a half or so on the left when holding it in portrait. Wife's doesn't have that. I have one coming from Apple on Monday, so I'll compare the two and return whichever is worse. Ugh. You'd think the quality control would be better for such an expensive device.

Is that shit seriously still happening? I have had nothing but yellow blotch devices from any iPad I bought at launch. The glue that doesn't dry enough. It sucks. Returning and hoping for a better next device is such a hassle each time.

Juice

It might be because the 28g increase is distributed evenly (bigger battery) on the new mini. With the wifi Air vs the LTE one, you've got 9g added to the top which would throw off the balance of the device a bit.

Exactly. I hold the iPad exclusively in portrait and usually from the bottom quarter of the iPad. The weight distribution of that 9 grams is like holding two nickels (9g) on a ten inch stick at 30 degrees for an hour or more. It's significant

Vyer

Thanks...we have the same tastes in apps, for the most part.

Just looking for other quirky little apps. Things people dig.

Could be anything.

Ah, ok a few more:

Scorecenter for iPad - ESPN's scoreboard app
NBA Game Time - Really nice NBA app
Sphere - 360 photos you can take or browse from around the world
Snapguide - whole bunch of DIY 'guides' you can browse (or create) cooking, how tos, etc. well designed
Trailers - Apple's movie trailers app, lots of new release trailers, HD quality
Figure - nice music creation app, great design
Star Walk HD, Skyguide - AR astronomy apps

Don't forget Apple's apps as well - iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto...the office apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) will be free for you since you just bought a new device.

LCfiner

Out of curiosity I just held my ipad air one handed form the bottom half, held it flat and could not tell the difference in weight when I placed two quarters (or even two heavier Canadian Loonies) on the top edge of the ipad.

That you could tell the difference is actually kinda remarkable. I think I probably need around 50 to 100 grams to be able to notice a difference without having to think about it.

Tabris

For those that own iPhone 5s do you find you keep holding your finger on home button on iPad expecting it to unlock. It's throwing me off. They really should have gotten touchid.

Ah, ok a few more:

Scorecenter for iPad - ESPN's scoreboard app
NBA Game Time - Really nice NBA app
Sphere - 360 photos you can take or browse from around the world
Snapguide - whole bunch of DIY 'guides' you can browse (or create) cooking, how tos, etc. well designed
Trailers - Apple's movie trailers app, lots of new release trailers, HD quality
Figure - nice music creation app, great design
Star Walk HD, Skyguide - AR astronomy apps

Don't forget Apple's apps as well - iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto...the office apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) will be free for you since you just bought a new device.

Thanks!

Posting this from the new Air. :)

I'm so used to browsing on my iPhone that I keep trying to press the back button on the bottom in safari. Wish I could move them and the bookmark bars at the bottom like on iPhone.

Also are current screen protectors compatible with the new air? Or since the bezel changed old protectors won't work?

Top Bottom