• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

And unless data caps vanish (which will take a few more jumps in mobile internet first I suspect) you'd kind of want a warning at a minimum anyway. Who'd want to accidentally download a game whose very size destroys your bandwidth limit, just because you wanted it waiting for you at home?

Well, common sense is hard to come by with providers. They may know how to build a nationwide wireless communication network but they panic at the idea that easy access to data caps could even be possible.

For anyone who wants to get their ipad air running in beast mode, let the battery drain all the way then recharge it (to where it turns off automatically). I think someone here recommended doing this. I did this last night and it hasn't dropped from 100% in standby where before it was dropping slowly. I even did some browsing and it hasn't dropped from 100. Battery life seems much improved so far. Will have to see how it goes. I've got the brightness set to about 50%.

You're supposed to do that about once a month

For anyone who wants to get their ipad air running in beast mode, let the battery drain all the way then recharge it (to where it turns off automatically). I think someone here recommended doing this. I did this last night and it hasn't dropped from 100% in standby where before it was dropping slowly. I even did some browsing and it hasn't dropped from 100. Battery life seems much improved so far. Will have to see how it goes. I've got the brightness set to about 50%.

I thought this was debunked based on the type of battery now used?

Vyer

Did you do a lot of web browsing? And what games are you playing? Not seeing that kind of battery myself.

It's on auto brightness. I used it mainly at night with the lights on so the backlight was probably on 40-75%. Wifi was on the whole time and I even did about 45 minutes of streaming music via Bluetooth in that time.

A part of me wishes the iPad Air was a bit thicker to accommodate an even bigger battery. An iPad 4-sized battery would give something like 16-20 hours usage and a week of standby time. It's amazing though that the iPad Air has such an incredible battery time yet is so slim and light. I can't wait to see this kind of improvement in the iPhone

To follow up on this, auto brightness made quite a difference for me. Last time I got about 8 hrs usage off a charge. This time I'm at 9 hours usage and 1 day 14 hrs standby and still have 23% left. Pretty happy with that.

PFD

This only helps reset the battery indicator. There is no physical benefit

#2 thing you're not supposed to do it drain it all the way down
#1 is turning it on again right after #2

solarus

Does everybody elses iPad air get warm on the right side after heavy use? It's only the right side, left side is completely cool.

Does everybody elses iPad air get warm on the right side after heavy use? It's only the right side, left side is completely cool.

Isn't that where the A7 is? Sometimes mine does, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the app I'm using. Nowhere near the heat the iPad 3 and 4 put out. Most of the time mine is cool.

Vyer

much better.

aEvH8Fy.jpg

Jimrpg

What are some good free multiplayer games on iOS?

We just got some iPad mini retinas and want to download something for four or more players

ismk

I've been thinking of getting the iPad Air or the Mini Retina and I was wondering, how easy is it to hold the iPad Air in one hand for long periods of time?

Aaron

I've been thinking of getting the iPad Air or the Mini Retina and I was wondering, how easy is it to hold the iPad Air in one hand for long periods of time?
Not easy, though it depends on how long. I'd just go with the mini. The larger pads are really for laying on a surface.

Deku Tree

I ordered my iPad Air through my small local company store and they screwed up my order: they ordered the wrong one. So I cancelled it. And now instead I ordered it through Apple and they are telling me: Delivers: Nov 26 - Dec 4 by Standard Shipping. Ugh. I hate to wait.

MrChom

Not easy, though it depends on how long. I'd just go with the mini. The larger pads are really for laying on a surface.

I've not had it for long, but I can easilly use Marvel Unlimited to read comics from the time I get on my platform until the time the train drops me off at my station....so that's a good 45 minutes or so with no real problems.

Sethos

Banned
Just got a white one for my mum, early Christmas present. Normally I'm not into tablets but I decided to pick up one for myself as well. Sweet little piece of hardware!

BFIB

My poetic case arrived today. Actually it's pretty nice, doesn't add a lot of bulk, has auto sleep/wake. Thinking of selling my Smart Cover now, lol.

Carlisle

So I'm trying to get rid of my iPad 2. I usually go the eBay route, but that always has its risks. I just checked gazelle for fun and they gave me a quote of $213, which is better than I expected. Ebay sold items seem to be floating around 230-250, so that might be worth saving me the risk and hassle.

But how close to the original quote does Gazelle typically get with the actual payout? Way back when I sold my iPhone 3G, I used a gazelle-like company that quoted me $200. When they finally got their hands on it they told me $75 was the best they could do. It was nearly brand new! It broke a week earlier so I used apple care to get a new refurbished one that was barely out of its plastic wrap. I talked the guy up to $150, and left feeling pretty burned by the whole thing.

What's the likelihood of getting scammed that way by gazelle these days?

BFIB

So I'm trying to get rid of my iPad 2. I usually go the eBay route, but that always has its risks. I just checked gazelle for fun and they gave me a quote of $213, which is better than I expected. Ebay sold items seem to be floating around 230-250, so that might be worth saving me the risk and hassle.

But how close to the original quote does Gazelle typically get with the actual payout? Way back when I sold my iPhone 3G, I used a gazelle-like company that quoted me $200. When they finally got their hands on it they told me $75 was the best they could do. It was nearly brand new! It broke a week earlier so I used apple care to get a new refurbished one that was barely out of its plastic wrap. I talked the guy up to $150, and left feeling pretty burned by the whole thing.

Can you try Craigslist?

rezuth

I only know one guy who used it but they actually upgraded his valuation and paid more as they thought it wasn't in such a bad shape as he put in.

Sh0k

Have you tried Gamestop? They are running an special right now, last week they gave me $251.00 for my iPad 2 32GB and if you buy any used game or put $5.00 towards a reserve of a list of games (reserved Super Mario 3D World), they give you an extra 30%, making the total $327.00 for the iPad 2. This is in store credit, but since I reserved a Playstation 4, this covers the difference.

Carlisle

Have you tried Gamestop? They are running an special right now, last week they gave me $251.00 for my iPad 2 32GB and if you buy any used game or put $5.00 towards a reserve of a list of games (reserved Super Mario 3D World), they give you an extra 30%, making the total $327.00 for the iPad 2. This is in store credit, but since I reserved a Playstation 4, this covers the difference.

Holy crap that's pretty crazy. I'm sitting on a 64gb. I'll certainly stop by my local GS tomorrow after work. Thanks for the insight!

Edit:
Any idea if you can get the extra 30% on the cash out option or is it only for credit? I haven't bought anything at GS in ages so I can't imagine finding ~$350 worth of stuff to make the credit worthwhile, but who knows. Just checking all my options there.

tenz0r

Holy crap that's pretty crazy. I'm sitting on a 64gb. I'll certainly stop by my local GS tomorrow after work. Thanks for the insight!

Edit:
Any idea if you can get the extra 30% on the cash out option or is it only for credit? I haven't bought anything at GS in ages so I can't imagine finding ~$350 worth of stuff to make the credit worthwhile, but who knows. Just checking all my options there.

The 30% and any trade promotions only apply for store credit. Gamestop also sells Amazon (kindle cards) that work for anything on Amazon. The 30% also works if you trade towards buying any pre owned product. I would simply buy like a cheap used game and spend the rest on Amazon Kindle gift cards. They also have a 7 day return policy for used games, so after a few days just return the used game for another Amazon gift card.

solarus

I've never been one of those people who have an ocd about displays, but after hearing about the yellowing issues people were having with their screens I became instantly aware of it on my air and it bugs me, i've heard it's pretty widespread. The left side definitely has a slight yellow tint to it, while the colours on the right side seem cooler and and more normal in comparison. Most people would not notice it but if someone told you and you looked real hard then you would, it's more noticable whenever you have a lot of white which is unfortunate for ios 7 since there is a lot of white in the redesign, i notice it in safari the most. Anybody had any luck with getting theirs replaced or have you guys not bothered? I can't imagine that most notice it.
Edit: it's more noticeable than i thought, split keyboard really makes it clear.

dream

I've never been one of those people who have an ocd about displays, but after hearing about the yellowing issues people were having with their screens I became instantly aware of it on my air and it bugs me, i've heard it's pretty widespread. The left side definitely has a slight yellow tint to it, while the colours on the right side seem cooler and and more normal in comparison. Most people would not notice it but if someone told you and you looked real hard then you would, it's more noticable whenever you have a lot of white which is unfortunate for ios 7 since there is a lot of white in the redesign, i notice it in safari the most. Anybody had any luck with getting theirs replaced or have you guys not bothered? I can't imagine that most notice it.
Edit: it's more noticeable than i thought, split keyboard really makes it clear.

My unit had the same problem, and it was just as hard to notice; I took it to the Apple Store and 3 separate geniuses couldn't see what I clearly saw. They ended up taking my word for it and swapping it out anyway though.

Ugh, noticed a dead black pixel in my Air. Made sure it wasn't a piece of dust after using my microfiber cloth to try wiping it off.

I can live with it for now, but I'll have to head up to the Apple store and get a new one now since it'll bug me. >.>

solarus

My unit had the same problem, and it was just as hard to notice; I took it to the Apple Store and 3 separate geniuses couldn't see what I clearly saw. They ended up taking my word for it and swapping it out anyway though.
Is your new unit fine? I'm worried they won't see the issue and refuse to replace mine...

BFIB

Macrumors forums are going nuts over this issue. It does sound pretty widespread. Mine seems OK, or at least if there is a yellow tint, I haven't really noticed.

Same issues seem apparent on the Mini as well. Bottom line, you paid a lot of money for your iPad. If its not up to what you expect it to be, then I would get it replaced. I had to do an exchange my first one due to screen issues (dead pixels).

dream

Is your new unit fine? I'm worried they won't see the issue and refuse to replace mine...

Yeah, my new one's okay.

Apple generally tends to err on the side of the customer when it comes to stuff like this. Just be polite and insistent; you know the screen is wonky, and it probably annoys the shit out of you when you look at it. Let them know how grating it is, and they'll most likely be willing to accommodate you even if they don't see it themselves.

solarus

Macrumors forums are going nuts over this issue. It does sound pretty widespread. Mine seems OK, or at least if there is a yellow tint, I haven't really noticed.

Same issues seem apparent on the Mini as well. Bottom line, you paid a lot of money for your iPad. If its not up to what you expect it to be, then I would get it replaced. I had do exchange my first one due to screen issues (dead pixels).
That's what I was thinking too, for how much money was paid I should replace it as many times as needed.
Yeah, my new one's okay.

Apple generally tends to err on the side of the customer when it comes to stuff like this. Just be polite and insistent; you know the screen is wonky, and it probably annoys the shit out of you when you look at it. Let them know how grating it is, and they'll most likely be willing to accommodate you even if they don't see it themselves.

Thanks I've booked a genius appointment for next week, hopefully it goes well.

Sean

Banned
The 30% and any trade promotions only apply for store credit. Gamestop also sells Amazon (kindle cards) that work for anything on Amazon. The 30% also works if you trade towards buying any pre owned product. I would simply buy like a cheap used game and spend the rest on Amazon Kindle gift cards. They also have a 7 day return policy for used games, so after a few days just return the used game for another Amazon gift card.

Yeah this is what I did, traded a bunch of stuff in at GameStop for the huge promo bonuses (if you're looking for a cheap pre-owned title to get the bonus, buy Too Human on 360 which is only 88 cents).

Soon as I got the Gamestop store credit I used it to buy hundreds of dollars in Amazon gift cards.

raven777

haven't been following this thread for few days but last time I saw there were quite a few people who moved from iPad 3 to iPad Air. So how are you guys thinking about the upgrade? Are you guys happy about the upgrade? fully justified? or regretting? I have an iPad 3 and am debating whether to get and iPad Air, retina mini, or wait another year.

I have been hearing great things about Air but wondering if any of you are having problem with 1gb RAM? This is probably the only factor that is making me consider waiting another year. But my iPad 3 is just getting really annoying and I haven't even upgraded to iOS 7 because of hearing how bad iOS7 is on iPad 3.

Also curious that I remember some people mentioning the speaker on Air is better (and louder) than previous iPads. Is this true?

solarus

haven't been following this thread for few days but last time I saw there were quite a few people who moved from iPad 3 to iPad Air. So how are you guys thinking about the upgrade? Are you guys happy about the upgrade? fully justified? or regretting? I have an iPad 3 and am debating whether to get and iPad Air, retina mini, or wait another year.

I have been hearing great things about Air but wondering if any of you are having problem with 1gb RAM? This is probably the only factor that is making me consider waiting another year. But my iPad 3 is just getting really annoying and I haven't even upgraded to iOS 7 because of hearing how bad iOS7 is on iPad 3.

Also curious that I remember some people mentioning the speaker on Air is better (and louder) than previous iPads. Is this true?
Speakers are far far better than the iPad 3. If you really care about the ram i'd wait a year, tabs refresh when too many open on safari. I love the air over the 3 however, it's so much lighter and super fast, but if you are investing into it for a few years maybe hold off until next year for 2gb ram and touch id guaranteed (among whatever else they add), the iPad 3 isn't exactly dead yet.

epmode

I'm returning my Air because of this. After checking various forums and a few Apple stores, I have a feeling that every Air on the market is affected to some extent. The problem is kind of subtle, though, and I think many people don't notice it.

I'm not dropping all that cash without a pristine screen and I'm not convinced that I'll get one if I exchange my current Air. I'll buy it again when this shit is sorted out.

Top Bottom