• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Torraz

Considering buying my first IPad tomorrow.

I think I should be fine with a 16gb version, except for during holidays, and long flights.

Does the camera cable + import videos from an SD card trick still work?

Ugh, got a replacement for my dead pixel Air, but now the replacement has two faint dark lines that are noticeable when scrolling in Maps/Calendar/etc.

It's like a 20-30 minute drive there, going to see if it resolves itself over the next week before I go up there again. >.>

J2d

Was a bit surprised that textedit wasn't on iPad when I picked it one up yesterday. What program do some of you use to write simple documents with? I don't need anything advanced, just something that I could do some school work with and maybe continue on my iMac when I have access to it.

Was a bit surprised that textedit wasn't on iPad when I picked it one up yesterday. What program do some of you use to write simple documents with? I don't need anything advanced, just something that I could do some school work with and maybe continue on my iMac when I have access to it.

Did you purchase an air? If so Pages and the rest of iWork should be free.

LCfiner

Pages/ iWork is a good choice but also consider Writeroom, which is temporarily free and saves plain text files to dropbox. Pages and iCloud creates a system that’s less easily portable to outside apps than a dropbox and .txt file editing solution

solarus

So just to confirm, will apple replace my air even if i bought it elsewhere? Got a genius appointment on wednesday, can't return to retailer i bought it from as they have shitty policies and terrible customer service. This yellow tint is awful :(

NYR

Having an issue with my iPad Air, specifically the magnet on the back that holds the Smart Cover in place.

In the last few days, the back magnet is making a clicking noise right before it attaches - it is when I align the Smart Cover to the back of the ipad, on the left hand side if you flip the ipad over - not the edge it is always connected to.

Just for the record, the sound is NOT the sound of the Smart Cover simply hitting the ipad - I can simply open and close the last edge of the Smart Cover when it is against the back and simply let it float over close enough before connecting and it makes a sound.

Even if I go really lightly and attach it, it makes a visible clicking sound - like pushing a piece of metal in and out. I even tried taking the other edge of the Smart Cover (the horizontal magnet edge that is normally always attached) and tried running that magnet along the edge on the back on the side, basically sliding it back and forth along the edge with the buttons and it makes a sounds as well, even louder actually. When you do this, The microfiber side has to be to exposed side, not the other way around, because it won't really stick otherwise.

Can anyone else test this and see if this is normal? Basically, take the edge of the smarty cover and rub it along the other side of the iPad near the buttons and let me know if you hear distinct clicking noises?
Anyone with a Smart Cover that can help me out?

J2d

Did you purchase an air? If so Pages and the rest of iWork should be free.
I'm an idiot, when I didn't see it when I started it up I figured it wasn't made available for free but as soon as I opened the app store it was there to download among a bunch of other stuff.

J2d

Ok another presumably retarded question, how do I sync my iMac safari bookmarks to the iPad? I can't find the option anywhere on iTunes.

TxdoHawk

Welp, being a sleeve-style case/naked use kind of iPad guy, I wasn't really feeling the current selection.

Went around forums on a whim to see what other people were considering, and ultimately went with this off Etsy:

tga7eM5.jpg

Deku Tree

Ok another presumably retarded question, how do I sync my iMac safari bookmarks to the iPad? I can't find the option anywhere on iTunes.

Use iCloud. I think the option disappeared in iTunes recently with the latest version... at least I can no longer find it myself... but iCloud works great so no worries.

PFD

Ugh, got a replacement for my dead pixel Air, but now the replacement has two faint dark lines that are noticeable when scrolling in Maps/Calendar/etc.

It's like a 20-30 minute drive there, going to see if it resolves itself over the next week before I go up there again. >.>

Next time open it in the store and immediately ask for a replacement if needed.

So just to confirm, will apple replace my air even if i bought it elsewhere? Got a genius appointment on wednesday, can't return to retailer i bought it from as they have shitty policies and terrible customer service. This yellow tint is awful :(

My brother bought a Macbook Air from Chicago, and had it replaced in Montreal. They didn't even ask for a receipt.

Anyone with a Smart Cover that can help me out?

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure it's not the iOS lock/unlock sound? Do you have it setup to automatically lock/unlock when using smart cover?

Next time open it in the store and immediately ask for a replacement if needed.

It wasn't visible unless you went into the Maps app (or something else with a solid color). I didn't have my case with me so I didn't want to take off the plastic which I guess would have hidden the issue since it was so faint.

Guess the next time I go up I'll need to bring the case with me, then.

LCfiner

Anyone know what is the difference between the

Twelve South Compass for iPad $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053XG1AC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And the Knockoff Universal Silver Compass $8.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UBTQTE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can’t speak of the official one but I’ve had the knockoff since midway through my time with the original ipad in 2010 and it works just fine. it’s solid, stable, no sharp edges, rubber pads still intact, comes with little felt pouch. for 10 bucks, it’s worth it.

Deku Tree

I can’t speak of the official one but I’ve had the knockoff since midway through my time with the original ipad in 2010 and it works just fine. it’s solid, stable, no sharp edges, rubber pads still intact, comes with little felt pouch. for 10 bucks, it’s worth it.

Thanks! I am assuming the twelve south version does not come with the pouch stand...

This thing is growing on me. Screen is beautiful and it's very fluid and fast. Thing is do damn light too. I didn't expect it to be this light. The build quality is fantastic and I lucked out and didn't end up with the screen issues like some.

Typing is taking some time to get used to even with the split keyboard but if I really need to take notes I have my Air or I can use the Bluetooth keyboard I have for it.

iOS 7 is a little buggy, not as and as I feared but I expect them to iron out the issues soon.

Going back to my 4s feels so weird.

japtor

God no. It makes the sound even if it is off. It's a mechanical issue inside the iPad.
Well the weird thing about your post is that the iPad doesn't have a magnet on the back. There's a magnet in the area, but it's for the front side for the cover lock/unlock trick. Does the cover unlock work properly for you and/or does it make any mechanical sound when the cover is on he front side?

Was there anyone in here who was between choosing the air and the mini and chose the air? If you did would you mind telling my why? Trying to figure out which way to go.

Guess Who

Banned
Was there anyone in here who was between choosing the air and the mini and chose the air? If you did would you mind telling my why? Trying to figure out which way to go.

I went with the Air because while I really liked the mini for its portability, I always preferred the larger screen, and the Air is a great middle ground. The mini is still more portable, of course, just like the Air is still more powerful, but they're much closer than they were before.

dream

I went with the Air because there are days when my iPad is the only computer I bring with me, so the bigger screen makes it better suited for being a laptop replacement.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Welp, being a sleeve-style case/naked use kind of iPad guy, I wasn't really feeling the current selection.

Went around forums on a whim to see what other people were considering, and ultimately went with this off Etsy:

tga7eM5.jpg

Thanks for the link! I think I might do the same thing.

alekth

I use it for movies quite a bit. Also for comics. A bigger screen is just a lot more enjoyable for those.

On a side note, is the magnetic attachment of a smart cover patented by Apple? I really want a leather one again, but not a case, and I can't find anything but cases as far as non-Apple goes.

Jag

I use it for movies quite a bit. Also for comics. A bigger screen is just a lot more enjoyable for those.

I was also on the fence, but I am going to go with the Air for these reasons. I have my iphone 5 for portability, if I'm going to use a tablet I want one that has a bigger screen and is easier to use.

PFD

Just exchanged my iPad at the Apple store today, and the one I got has a perfect screen. No yellow tint, no backlight bleed, nothing. Finally :)

I bought the Smart Case to try it out while waiting for my Amazon case to arrive. It fits really well, and has a high quality finish. But it's kinda heavy, and the triangle stand (folding the cover) tends to collapse easily, more easily than the Smart Cover. Plus, it's goddamn daylight robbery. Cost me $102 after tax. WTF is that shit

Guess Who

Banned
So how about that iOS 7.1 beta? Eh?

It's great. So many little nagging things in iOS 7 are fixed. The keyboard on iPad is transparent now like on the iPhone! There's no stutter when pulling down Spotlight! The multitasker is way more fluid and doesn't drop frames constantly! You can force the black keyboard in all apps! The pinch-to-close animation isn't janky anymore! And the animations have all been sped up, only slightly, but enough to make it feel faster. Really feels a lot more polished.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's great. So many little nagging things in iOS 7 are fixed. The keyboard on iPad is transparent now like on the iPhone! There's no stutter when pulling down Spotlight! The multitasker is way more fluid and doesn't drop frames constantly! You can force the black keyboard in all apps! The pinch-to-close animation isn't janky anymore! And the animations have all been sped up, only slightly, but enough to make it feel faster. Really feels a lot more polished.

is safari less eager to reload tabs and/or quit on you?

Since you have the beta, is the wallpaper that's featured on the iPad Air promo (the blue and green gradient) available in the stock selection in 7.1?

This one: http://www.apple.com/ipad-air/

GWX

Damn, that's great to hear. let's hope they start releasing iPad optimized apps after these necessary bug fixes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can they give me true multitasking please. I never realized how much I depended on having everything open and running at once but I really need it.

(Also the Safari thing because its impossible to write a post with multiple images unless you write it in Notes thanks to the constant reloading.)

Dany

Banned

Thank jesus.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Didn't know that even the Air had those performance issues. Good to know they're being addressed.

I've noticed the magnets on the far end (the non-hinge end) of my smart cover have gotten noticeably weaker in the last few days. When I would fold it over the back of the device, it would decently stick to the far side of the tablet. Seems this is no longer the case. Anyone else notice something similar?

Top Bottom