• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Castcoder

Banned
I'm considering purchasing an iPad Air, after owning an iPad 3 since launch week. While I get a lot more use out of my iPhone than my iPad 3, I do enjoy having it for classes. When my iPad was purchased, I got bought a program through Best Buy that I think was discontinued called the Best Buy Buy Back Program(?). It was supposed to guarantee me a better price if I chose to upgrade my iPad to a new one.

Has anyone taken advantage of this program? How much did you receive back from your iPad?

Deku Tree

Cheers! Just checked and it's only £21.99 a year. Not too pricey. Would benefit my wife too as she's clung on to her CDs much longer than I have.

You could also use some sort of Cloud based service. Your legit music would be downloadable to your ipad but it wouldn't appear exactly the same as iTunes purchases.

Sickbean

You could also use some sort of Cloud based service. Your legit music would be downloadable to your ipad but it wouldn't appear exactly the same as iTunes purchases.

I've got Dropbox (which actually works for cloud syncing photos, unlike iCloud). Does that support MP3 streaming?

epmode

We need better 64 bit support, Apple. iPad Air and the 5S crash too much with your native apps.

Yeah, Safari crashes a lot. It's quick to recover but yeesh.

My Air is still pretty yellow on the left (in portrait mode). It's only noticeable with a lot of white but iOS 7 is white white white so it's actually distracting me. I'll try to get an exchange today.

Deku Tree

I've got Dropbox (which actually works for cloud syncing photos, unlike iCloud). Does that support MP3 streaming?

I have never tried it myself, because I have the 64gb iPad which has plenty of space for all my stuff, but there is a free app in the app store which claims to do it yes.

Dany

Banned
How much space is needed to back up an ipad? my ipad is asking for 3 gigs in the cloud when I don't have that much room. :x

LCfiner

How much space is needed to back up an ipad? my ipad is asking for 3 gigs in the cloud when I don't have that much room. :x

it depends on your camera roll and how much user created data you have in your apps.

you can check how much space each app wants for backup in the icloud settings. and you can also check if there are old, duplicate backups taking up space.

Espresso

Banned
Does the iPad not delete user data when you delete an app? I reinstalled an app I'd deleted a few days ago and it automatically logged me in.

Cancelled my Xbone preorder (decided to just stick with my PS4 and the Wii U for now) and ordered me an iPad Air Space Grey.

How's it been for you guys? To give some perspective, the only tablets I've owned was the iPad 2 (loved it) and the 2012 Nexus 7 (hated it after being spoiled by the iPad 2). Will I be blown away by the Air?

dream

Cancelled my Xbone preorder (decided to just stick with my PS4 and the Wii U for now) and ordered me an iPad Air Space Grey.

How's it been for you guys? To give some perspective, the only tablets I've owned was the iPad 2 (loved it) and the 2012 Nexus 7 (hated it after being spoiled by the iPad 2). Will I be blown away by the Air?

Yup.

BFIB

I think you'll be happy w/ the upgrade. Its my first iPad, and so far, its been a really great tablet experience.

Is that a Bray Wyatt avatar? If so, make sure you check out WrassleGaf.

I think you'll be happy w/ the upgrade. Its my first iPad, and so far, its been a really great tablet experience.

Is that a Bray Wyatt avatar? If so, make sure you check out WrassleGaf.

Yes it is and will do.

Edit: Any good case recommendations on Amazon?

LCfiner

I use it to watch giant bomb videos. Which can easily be 30 gigs for 10 videos :p

oh, videos... yeah. not much you can do (I always forget they put videos on the RSS feed) I guess you just turned off instacast backups since it's such a hog.

Has anyone here tried their Air with the HDMI out adapter yet? how is performance compared to last years models? the iPhone 5 can output games well at what feels like 30 fps with stutter in places.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I broke down and bought one. My laptop had to get sent out for repair and I needed a device other than my phone to do stuff on.

Good lord this is so much better than my 3. Apple, you win.

Also keynote renders powerpoints really well.

This really makes the old iPads seem really clunky.

BFIB

I broke down and bought one. My laptop had to get sent out for repair and I needed a device other than my phone to do stuff on.

Congrats! I got a buddy stopping by later on to check it out. He says he's going to hold on to his iPad 4. I think he'll be changing his mind later on.

solarus

What model did you get? 32gb or bust.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can no longer buy anything from the app store. All I get is an error saying "Your Purchase Could Not Be Completed".

Welp.

Unrelated: Do you guys use Safari or Chrome? I'm a Chrome diehard on PC but I really like the navigation gestures on Safari. Going back and forward is far more useful than switching tabs I think.

I can no longer buy anything from the app store. All I get is an error saying "Your Purchase Could Not Be Completed".

Welp.

Unrelated: Do you guys use Safari or Chrome? I'm a Chrome diehard on PC but I really like the navigation gestures on Safari. Going back and forward is far more useful than switching tabs I think.

Windows/Android Tablet or Phone: Chrome

Anything Apple: Safari

I ordered a cheap skin from Amazon to cover the front of the iPad until I decided how I was going to protect this thing in the long run. It was a Skinomi one. Not only was it difficult to apply, but it looks and feels atrocious. The streaking still hasn't gone away after their recommended time, and there are still "micro bubbles". More to it, the thing feels awful to the touch and has a big resistance to scrolling. I expected this because it was a film and not a tempered glass screen, but I didn't expect it to be as bad as it is. Adding insult to injury, fingerprints show up a lot more, and because it is a film, fingerprints have a strange streaking nature, like my hands were greasy or something. It's plain bad.

Now, I just hope when I remove it that the solution used to apply the film didn't damage the iPad's screen. Hopefully the tempered glass screen I found arrives soon (wasn't available when I ordered this cheap film protector else I would have ordered it). I still need a solution to protect the back of the iPad from scratches. I'm hopeful that DodoCase makes a BOOKBack for it soon as those have gotten good reviews in the past; I don't want a hard shell case and all the other backs I've looked at look gross and add a lot of thickness and weight.

I figured this is the lightest and thinnest way to protect the iPad from normal wear - I have never dropped my electronics so I don't need heavy protection that a case would provid - All I need is back protection against scratches when putting it on a table that might have hard particles on it, and for when it gets put into a bag when traveling.

Sh0k

I bought today the Apple Smart Case just to try it but I'm thinking on keeping it. I hate myself for paying $80.00 for this case, but it fits the iPad Air perfectly and doesn't add too much bulk or weight. Going to keep trying it for the next two days and maybe I ended up returning the case, but so far is highly recommended.

ChRoNiTe

So I decided that its probably time to upgrade from an iPad 3. A buddy is interested in purchasing the old iPad from me. Is it necessary to remove the SIM card, or can I just cancel my data plan and leave it in there? I'm going to pick up a cellular version of the air so I don't think I would be able to use the old SIM card anyways right?

mrbaba

Welp.

I had that issue, a backup and restore fixed it for me.
Have you tried that yet?

Vyer

So I decided that its probably time to upgrade from an iPad 3. A buddy is interested in purchasing the old iPad from me. Is it necessary to remove the SIM card, or can I just cancel my data plan and leave it in there? I'm going to pick up a cellular version of the air so I don't think I would be able to use the old SIM card anyways right?

He'd have to get a new SIM anyway I believe, so might as well pull it.

jts

...hate me...

Not that it matters, and I'm not shooting the messenger either, but...

ipadairexplosion.jpg

That's not an Air.

God Enel

Im writing my 1st Message from my 1st iPad. Bought a white 32gb Air.
Any good Pages for Retina iPad wallpapers?

Love this thing.

Apple support is complete bullshit.

Tried to talk to someone in the store but it's all automated.

I try to schedule a Genius Bar appt and I get an error every time.

Fuck off.

Anybody here own both a MacBook Air and iPad? Checked out the iPad Air at the Apple store and fell in love. Having trouble justifying the purchase to myself, despite how sexy it is. The MacBook seems to fulfill the same purpose.

LCfiner

Anybody here own both a MacBook Air and iPad? Checked out the iPad Air at the Apple store and fell in love. Having trouble justifying the purchase to myself, despite how sexy it is. The MacBook seems to fulfill the same purpose.

they’re pretty different experiences, imo. the Macbook is a traditional computer with mousing pointer, hardware keyboard, etc. The iPad is more book-like or magazine-like and it feels different to use with your fingers. It’s also easier to hold and carry around and share with other people, but with (often discussed) limitations compared to the Mac.

I will say the new Macbooks Airs with 9-12 hour battery life take away one of the ipad’s greatest strengths. when the Air only got 5 to 7 hours, the iPad’s battery life was a bigger differentiator.

japtor

Like above I'd say they're different enough that it's not really the same experience (*by "above" I mean the last page now, doh). But for "purpose" it really depends on what you want/need...and having an iPad as an option may mess with that. For a lot of basic stuff the iPad is fine or at least usable, with some other stuff being better left for a notebook/desktop OS.

Deku Tree

I own both (and more). The iPad is INCREDIBLE for a lot of things: Reading, iOS gaming, Watching Videos, Listening to Music, Answering quick emails, browsing the internet, looking at different apps, etc, and more, and more... BUT... the iPad is NOT a traditional computer. iPad has a lot of limitations in what you can do.

You can do anything that you can do on a Mac on an MacBook Air: it comes standard with a traditional keyboard, FTP, Folders, Number Crunching, lots of Photo Editing software, the list goes on, etc, editing your web page, there are a lot of things that are just very hard to do on an iPad.

The MacBook Air is a small and light super great computer. The iPad is better than the MacBook Air most of the time for things that iPad is good at doing. But there are lots of things which I do that would be just very hard or clumsy to accomplish on an iPad. So I still need traditional laptops too.

Nemic77

Would you say an iPad is worth getting for sketching/design related work? I've tried some iPads at stores which had Paper App installed and found some of the touch stroke interesting.

Was just wondering if anyone who works in design or related areas finds the iPad handy in their day to day routine.

Top Bottom