• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Safari still seems to crash from time to time with iOS 7.1. I was browsing the Elite: Dangerous thread on the gaming side when it happened, but there were about four other tabs open at the same time.

J2d

I think I've had less safari crashes since the update but it still crahes on a daily basis, I must say hat this is the worst apple hardware I ever had.

Peagles

I've asked this here before (this is my first Apple product) but is there is a solution for text-wrapping/text-reflow on any browser for my iPad Air?

Retina is great but the text is often way too small. On my Android phone if I pinch to zoom the text wraps to the screen, but on my iPad I have to scroll across and read one line at a time, and then scroll back to start reading the next line. It's so tedious I basically can't use my iPad for reading text on websites unless said website has a nice large font or small columns of text.

Any solutions? Alternative browsers maybe? I swear that Chrome on my iPad used to do this fine, but then it updated and it appears to have been removed as a feature.

Vyer

I've asked this here before (this is my first Apple product) but is there is a solution for text-wrapping/text-reflow on any browser for my iPad Air?

Retina is great but the text is often way too small. On my Android phone if I pinch to zoom the text wraps to the screen, but on my iPad I have to scroll across and read one line at a time, and then scroll back to start reading the next line. It's so tedious I basically can't use my iPad for reading text on websites unless said website has a nice large font or small columns of text.

Any solutions? Alternative browsers maybe? I swear that Chrome on my iPad used to do this fine, but then it updated and it appears to have been removed as a feature.

Do you have a page where you can give an example? In general I've found the double tap zoom to do the job for getting content on the air's screen.

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, take a screen capture

Peagles

I've been doing some Googling and it seems to be a big problem with many complaints and no solutions, and what's even worse is they've started to remove it from Android too.

I'm not very good with screenshots on my iPad so check out this article about it being removed from Android, you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...-webviews-in-kitkat-probably-not-coming-back/

The difference is there are workarounds for Android, but I can't find any for iOS.

>.<

Deku Tree

I've been doing some Googling and it seems to be a big problem with many complaints and no solutions, and what's even worse is they've started to remove it from Android too.

I'm not very good with screenshots on my iPad so check out this article about it being removed from Android, you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...-webviews-in-kitkat-probably-not-coming-back/

The difference is there are workarounds for Android, but I can't find any for iOS.

>.<

I just use the reader function in safari for news articles.

Peagles

I just use the reader function in safari for news articles.

I do when I can but not every page supports it. Text-reflow on the other hand works on every website. I'm curious about why it seems to be disappearing from mobile devices all together, it's very odd.

Vyer

>.<

No, I mean a page where you see the text as too small. I'm curious what the double tap does on that page. I haven't encountered many I can think of where I had a hard time reading text (particularly on the bigger Air screen).

Blackhead

Redarse

>.<

Welcome to Apple's ecosystem. It's been a long standing complaint since iPhone OS 1.0. However, there are solutions:

1) Use an alternative browser. Since Chrome has removed the feature, try Opera mini, iCab, Atomic Browser etc

2) Use a text wrap/refow bookmarklet in Safari. Here's two that also increase/decrease font size.

3) a) Jailbreak b) .... c) profit

Peagles

No, I mean a page where you see the text as too small. I'm curious what the double tap does on that page. I haven't encountered many I can think of where I had a hard time reading text (particularly on the bigger Air screen).

A double tap either does nothing, or it zooms, but only to the width of the column, so if the column of text is as wide as the page itself, you get minimal zoom.

Greyface, thanks! I'll try some if those out. Opera I already tried and it seems they've disabled the feature already, but I'll work my way through the rest.

Found this iPad concept from 2004 on Reddit:

attachment.php

Someone I know is trying to sell their iPad Air 128GB LTE and I'd be getting it at $800, pristine condition. I'm still debating on it.

Good deal? Should I pull the trigger?

zychi

Banned
Someone I know is trying to sell their iPad Air 128GB LTE and I'd be getting it at $800, pristine condition. I'm still debating on it.

Good deal? Should I pull the trigger?

wait. you're more than halfway through the apple cycle. get the new version with more ram

Deku Tree

I had a small scratch on the front screen of my iPad Air, brought it to the Apple Store, and Apple gave me a new one, no questions asked.

I thought they didn't do that anymore, but I'm not complaining...

I had a small scratch on the front screen of my iPad Air, brought it to the Apple Store, and Apple gave me a new one, no questions asked.

I thought they didn't do that anymore, but I'm not complaining...

Honestly, it depends on the store and who you talk to, because I hear different service stories all the time

Talon

>.<
This has never been a problem for me, but you can click on the "Reader" icon at the top to reformat the text for a different interface.

jaosobno

GAF, I need your advice. I'll be going to USA soon and I'm considering getting an iPad Air there since it's quite cheaper than in my country.

Do you guys think that it's a bit late in Air's life cycle to buy one? It still holds the full price, and I'd feel like an idiot if I bought one and rumors that Air 2 is coming out in September or October prove to be true.

While Air's performance is great, I've noticed that Apple still doesn't have a quad core device, and I'm sure that Air 2 will come with improved quad core CPU (probably A8) and a much better camera. I don't care about Touch ID and stuff like that, but if Air 2 offers big improvements in CPU and camera areas, it would be kinda stupid of me to buy Air so late. On the other hand, if I wait for the next iPad, it's going to cost me $250 more than in USA (since I'll be forced to buy it in Europe).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Deku Tree

GAF, I need your advice. I'll be going to USA soon and I'm considering getting an iPad Air there since it's quite cheaper than in my country.

Do you guys think that it's a bit late in Air's life cycle to buy one? It still holds the full price, and I'd feel like an idiot if I bought one and rumors that Air 2 is coming out in September or October prove to be true.

While Air's performance is great, I've noticed that Apple still doesn't have a quad core device, and I'm sure that Air 2 will come with improved quad core CPU (probably A8) and a much better camera. I don't care about Touch ID and stuff like that, but if Air 2 offers big improvements in CPU and camera areas, it would be kinda stupid of me to buy Air so late. On the other hand, if I wait for the next iPad, it's going to cost me $250 more than in USA (since I'll be forced to buy it in Europe).

Buy it. There will always be an upgrade. The iPad Air is a fantastic device. I am writing this on one. It is impossible to predict the specs of the next iPad.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPad

Meatfist

I'm taking a tablet class in the fall, which comes with a small grant for an ipad.

$300 for a 64 gig Air with 1 year of cellular data, I'm pumpeddddd!

PFD

There will definitely be a new version this fall. But then again, there will always be a new version just around the corner. I'd say just buy it now

jaosobno

jaosobno

Get a refurbished/used iPad Air now and sell it when the next one is released.

Nah, I'll get a new one. It's not easy to sell a used tablet in Croatia, and I plan to use this iPad for the next 3 years and replace it with a new one then. Hopefully, the performance will hold up (iPad 2 still seems perfectly usable).

My primary use for iPad will be web surfing (specially when travelling), and some light gaming.

I recently got interested in the iPad Air, but will wait another 4-5 months for the successor. The Air 1 hardly dropped in price since its launch so might as well shelve out an extra 70 euro for better hardware soon.

d2uhj.png

Found this iPad concept from 2004 on Reddit:

attachment.php

Most notable is how he got the name right, damn. Any rumour about an Apple tablet were calling it the iTab, iTablet or iSlate.

appleislatevsu1j.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Standing in the apple store right now. To impulse buy the air or wait XX Months ? Would really like if the iPad Air had iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor.

dc89

Standing in the apple store right now. To impulse buy the air or wait XX Months ? Would really like if the iPad Air had iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor.

If that's what you want I suggest you wait and see what comes out. I mean, it's only 4 months or so now.

---

Speaking of iPad Air. My gf got a new job, she's been given a work laptop, iPhone and they've ordered her an iPad. They were going to order her a cellular 4G iPad Air and she told them she didn't need the cellular so just to get Wifi. I tried saying to her it's not your money, just get it because you don't know when it will come in handy. But she knows best. She's made a huge mistake :p

dream

I don't think we can fairly or accurately lambaste the look of a prescient mockup from a decade ago, can we?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
What is the screen of the ipad Air made of?
Glass
Mine feels very plasticy.
It feels this way because there is an air gap between the glass/touch sensor and the LCD. You probably are noticing flex in the glass which is especially noticible near the screen center. Since apple started gluing the glass and touch elements to the screen (on iPhones) the solid feel has improved considerably. I was sad they didn't do this to the iPad Air.

Einbroch

Banned
Guys, great deal on an Air that expires today. You can get a brand new Air for ~340 after tax at Staples.

First, go to the store and price match Air from Microcenter. They have many retail locations and will accept the price match.

Then use their 15% coupon.

Picked up an Air yesterday for my girlfriend, total was $346.

Top Bottom