• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

SRTtoZ

Quick review after using it for a bunch of hours, its really amazing. I came from an iPad 4th gen that I thought was super speed fast but this thing blows it away, safari opens up tabs and loads pages instantly, no lag, no waiting, the wifi is way better, I get my full 50/50 speed on this thing. Honestly my favorite part is how small/thin it is, it feels like an iPad mini squished a bit to stretch it out to full screen and even with the Smart Case it form fits like a glove. If anyone here has a last gen Smart case, you know how floppy it was when standing, it also had sharp edges all around so when you held it for too long it got uncomfortable and lastly there is no nasty thick border around the sides increasing the size, its just perfectly form fitting. Overpriced a bit for a case? Most definitely but very quality and the leather is very very nice. This is the de facto must have iPad right now, perfect.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I gotta get that update. I don't experience the reboots, but I would like Safari to be more stable.

god safari is a PITA. Even just a few tabs open, and mobile gaf rather than full-fat, it just closes several times a day, often forgetting the page it was loading. Worse than my ipad 3. Urgh.

Peagles

I typically use Chrome, and I notice, particularly on gaf, I'll go into a thread and it'll show me an older version of that page (without updated replies for example) and I have to refresh again once I've clicked on the thread in order to truly load it. Any way around this? It's like it's accessing a cached version and I don't want it to.

Deku Tree

I typically use Chrome, and I notice, particularly on gaf, I'll go into a thread and it'll show me an older version of that page (without updated replies for example) and I have to refresh again once I've clicked on the thread in order to truly load it. Any way around this? It's like it's accessing a cached version and I don't want it to.

Use Safari.

Peagles

I take that to mean there's no fix for Chrome?

I guess I could try Safari a bit more... Everyone here says it crashes lots though.

SRTtoZ

I take that to mean there's no fix for Chrome?

I guess I could try Safari a bit more... Everyone here says it crashes lots though.

it crashes now and then but its better than iOS chrome. I am a huge chrome fan on windows 7, its my default browser but Safari is much better on iOS IMO.

Chipotle

Got one today and really liking it so far. Think I've got all the basic must-have free apps and games but guess it'll take a while to find all the stuff I want/need. Still have it get used it the keyboard as well, I've only ever had an android phone before so it feels a bit strange.

One thing that is strange is that the build quality occasionally feels a bit off. There's occasionally a click if you squeeze the bottom right corner like it doesn't quite fit together right. Is that normal?

Also, is there a good quick guide to iOS tips and tricks anywhere for someone who's new to it? Most of the ones I've found are either too detailed or aimed at people moving from iOS 6 to 7

Deku Tree

Got one today and really liking it so far. Think I've got all the basic must-have free apps and games but guess it'll take a while to find all the stuff I want/need. Still have it get used it the keyboard as well, I've only ever had an android phone before so it feels a bit strange.

One thing that is strange is that the build quality occasionally feels a bit off. There's occasionally a click if you squeeze the bottom right corner like it doesn't quite fit together right. Is that normal?

Also, is there a good quick guide to iOS tips and tricks anywhere for someone who's new to it? Most of the ones I've found are either too detailed or aimed at people moving from iOS 6 to 7

No that sounds wrong. I would try to exchange it.

I think the best way to learn about iOS is just to use it. Very intuitive.

SRTtoZ

No click here. Apple is well known for build quality so head back and exchange the sucker. Backup everything to your computer or iCloud ad it's a breeze to restore.

SRTtoZ

Best buy has $50 off online right. I just bought mine on Sunday. Took my receipt in and they credited the $50.

Score!

On my way to do this now. Bought it on Tuesday so they said if I bring the receipt they will credit me $50. I would have never known it was on sale if not for you! Thanks

Edit: Got credited 54.07, nice.

Peagles

it crashes now and then but its better than iOS chrome. I am a huge chrome fan on windows 7, its my default browser but Safari is much better on iOS IMO.

Is there any way to get it to zoom properly? It's a real deal breaker for trying to read gaf. I zoom to make the text bigger but unlike chrome it doesn't fit to the page, so I have to either read tiny text or scroll sideways to read every line. Hope that makes sense.

SRTtoZ

Is there any way to get it to zoom properly? It's a real deal breaker for trying to read gaf. I zoom to make the text bigger but unlike chrome it doesn't fit to the page, so I have to either read tiny text or scroll sideways to read every line. Hope that makes sense.

I use Gaf Mobile on my iPad so I'm not sure. I'll take it off mobile in a bit and see if I have the same issue and/or fix for it.

Peagles

I use Gaf Mobile on my iPad so I'm not sure. I'll take it off mobile in a bit and see if I have the same issue and/or fix for it.

Thanks. It's all websites too by the way, it's okay for the most part but if the text is particularly small it isn't great.

GAF I just got Ipad Air.

Is there a thread for Neogafs favorite IOS apps?

I have never had Ipad before. I'm a brand new Ipad man and I know nothing!!

I was on mobile... I guess it's really hard to do a topic title search for "iOS".

my mistake. I just searched Gaf for Ipad threads. I didn't know/think the Ios operating system had their own thread. But I was just skimpping through the ipad mini with retina thread as well, and wondered. :)

Deku Tree

I'm going to get Ipad Air today, my first Ipad. Isn´t 32GB the minimum I should get?

Depends on your needs. My wife is fine with 16 GB. Myself I feel like I could not live without 64 GB. What will you use it for?

If you want to load lots of pictures, video, and music onto it then you probably need more than 16 gig. If you just using apps and Internet then 16 GB is fine.

Field

Depends on your needs. My wife is fine with 16 GB. Myself I feel like I could not live without 64 GB. What will you use it for?

If you want to load lots of pictures, video, and music onto it then you probably need more than 16 gig. If you just using apps and Internet then 16 GB is fine.

I ended with 32GB. I will probably in the end use it mostly to browse neogaf lol. But I also like having the option to put few videos on it and some apps of course.

Jag

Headphone jack just stopped working. Anyone have this problem? Tried blowing out the hole, resetting and pushing the jack all the way in. Nothing works.

Try different headphones? The cable on those fail 10x more often. But if the port is gone, all you can do is get it repaired...

any ETA on the next iOS update? The orientation "freeze" bug is really getting on my nerves. >(

Still in beta testing. If you have a Dev account you could download the beta, else the current guess for public release is still March. China just got 7.0.5, which basically tells you 7.1 cannot be rushed...

Shearie

Headphone jack just stopped working. Anyone have this problem? Tried blowing out the hole, resetting and pushing the jack all the way in. Nothing works.

That's happened to me several times years ago on non-iOS devices and it was always the fault of the headphones.

Jag

That's happened to me several times years ago on non-iOS devices and it was always the fault of the headphones.

Really? Because I tried different headphones and they all have the issue.

I made an appointment at the Apple store for tomorrow. I've never gone before, so I'm not sure what they can do. If it is hardware related will they replace it right there?

I made an appointment at the Apple store for tomorrow. I've never gone before, so I'm not sure what they can do. If it is hardware related will they replace it right there?

Depends if you're in warranty/AppleCare, and if it's a product they replace or fix. Some issues these days are fixed, so a longer wait time. Nothing is lost by getting it looked at though.

BFIB

If its a hardware issue they cannot fix, odds are you will get a "replacement". It won't be another brand new Air at this point, it will most likely be a refurb.

Jag

If its a hardware issue they cannot fix, odds are you will get a "replacement". It won't be another brand new Air at this point, it will most likely be a refurb.

Took it to the store and they determined that it was a hardware issue and gave me a brand new one still wrapped and not refurb! Also had it checked for for the screen issue and it looks good.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone else found the GAF mobile pages not jumping to the last read post in safari? Just sits at the top of the last page for me. It's getting really frustrating now.

Edit: doh,preferences somehow reset to 'last page' even though I hadn't touched them. Working now

Deku Tree

Has anyone else found the GAF mobile pages not jumping to the last read post in safari? Just sits at the top of the last page for me. It's getting really frustrating now.

Edit: doh,preferences somehow reset to 'last page' even though I hadn't touched them. Working now

I see your edit, but to answer your question, no it works for me usually. I find that sometimes if the thread is media heavy then it is slow to bounce to the last read post and if you touch the screen while the gifs etc are still loading then it will never bounce. You just gotta wait while the gifs load for an extra second.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Maybe you guys can help me, as I've been having problems finding something. I've been looking for a cradle/low profile stand for my iPad Air that I can use on my new desk. The goal is for my ipad air to be easily available and usable while "docked", but i'd also like it to look pretty and take as little space as possible.

Any suggestions? It's not a requirement that it actually has dock functionality, eg. charging and transfering of data, the design and form factor are more important.

Something like this for the ipad air:

PS_Vita_Cradle_1.png

Well, I saw these at a local store. Really cheap and theoretically would work while taking not much space...but I haven't actually bought one so who knows. There are nicer looking versions of this on Amazon but that is probably the cheapest one?

The Belkin Chef stand sounds a lot more functional, but not exactly small on the desk.

If you want super fancy, Twelvesouth is usually good for that.

Beyond that, all I can say is that the larger, heavier stands are usually the best because they are sturdy enough to keep your iPad in place. Cheap dollar store wireframe stands just don't have enough resistance to hold the weight. That's why a lot of the Belkin stands seem to try to offer USB charger hubs in the back counterbalance area.

SeanR1221

Maybe you guys can help me, as I've been having problems finding something. I've been looking for a cradle/low profile stand for my iPad Air that I can use on my new desk. The goal is for my ipad air to be easily available and usable while "docked", but i'd also like it to look pretty and take as little space as possible.

Any suggestions? It's not a requirement that it actually has dock functionality, eg. charging and transfering of data, the design and form factor are more important.

Something like this for the ipad air:

PS_Vita_Cradle_1.png

The Wingstand

http://wingstand.com

I got these a while ago and they are awesome. Fit in my bag easily and attach to the apple keyboard if you want to do some work.

Dragon

Banned
Man iOS 7 is such a turd. The amount of hard crashes in Safari and random reboots is insane. Apple get your shit together.

BFIB

I think I'm gonna choose the 32GB iPad Air. It's a big price but I hope I can keep it for years without it being obsolete... right?

I'm planning on keeping mine through at least two years. And one good thing about iPads, they hold their value, so even if you unload it, you'll still get a good price on it.

Top Bottom