• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad Air

Just ordered it!

Now that I'm (almost) the owner of two Apple products (Macbook Air 2013 and iPad Air), I think I might as well switch to Apple completely (dat simplicity, design and app ecosystem!), except for my desktop computer. Next time I buy a smartphone I'll probably buy an iPhone. However, I need to be sure that the next model will come in a bigger size than the current models. The iPhone 5s looks wonderful but I can't go back to a 4-inch screen. Anyway, I replaced my HTC Desire with a Samsung Galaxy S4 and it's an incredible phone so it'll be a long time till I need to replace this one.

By the way, is there an easy way to jailbreak the iPad Air?

BFIB

Just ordered it!

Congrats! Its a fantastic device. I'm mostly an android guy, made the switch to Android with the S3 after being with iOS since the very first iPhone.

Bought a Nexus 7, then a 10, and the app selection just never caught up. I pretty much use my iPad daily, there is so much I do with it.

Congrats! Its a fantastic device. I'm mostly an android guy, made the switch to Android with the S3 after being with iOS since the very first iPhone.

I still dislike Apple as a company because of its 'walled garden' policy, arbitrary restrictions on what is or isn't allowed on the App Store and its insane pricing policy (some products and options, such as paying €100 for a bit more RAM and so on are a complete rip-off) but I'll be the first to admit that they do make products you like to own and use, down to the packaging and the official website.

Meanwhile, companies like Samsung look like they don't even give a fuck, and others like HTC or Nokia are just struggling. Google is trying its best but the Nexus phones/tablets still give me the image of nerd's products (I am some sort of nerd myself and I do appreciate Android's relative openness, though). They're very good and quite affordable, but you can see the compromises. I give credit to Tim Cook when he says he doesn't want to make something that's 'good enough' and he only wants the absolute best. Unfortunately this comes at quite the premium price, but heh - if the competition still can't catch up since the reveal of the first iPhone or even the first iPod, Apple somehow deserve its insane profits.

Edit: Despite my wish for Android to catch up on iOS regarding the app selection, the former unfortunately remains the undisputed leader and video game companies still mostly ignore Android. I used not to care but if I'm buying an expensive tablet I don't want it to reach a dead end, software-wise (and don't get me started on Windows Phone - I can't take it seriously and I think it's too late for Microsoft).

Vyer

Really don't know what you guys are doing to see 'constant crashing'. I guess a lot of gif heavy or embedded video heavy pages in Safari? Some improvement in 7.1 would be welcome, sure, but I'm not seeing anything quite that frequently.

Shearie

I see crashing but it's definitely not constant.

Edit: I don't know why I replied here since I don't have an Air, just an old non-retina Mini.

Dany

Banned
Yeah, anectodely the ipad air crashes less then it did when it was on 7.0

When i pinch four fingers to go home, the left 3rd of the screen doesn't have the icons or dock. It kind of cuts icons in half because of it. Not that big of an issue, it goes away after a second.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ever since the 3 was shown to be such a lemon of a tablet I've been a bit over-cautious about buying a new model. The only negative thing I've heard about this one is less ram then it supposedly should've been built with. Is that an issue that won't be nearly as apparent as the performance of the 3? Or do the other specs make up for it?

BFIB

Ever since the 3 was shown to be such a lemon of a tablet I've been a bit over-cautious about buying a new model. The only negative thing I've heard about this one is less ram then it supposedly should've been built with. Is that an issue that won't be nearly as apparent as the performance of the 3? Or do the other specs make up for it?

I have zero issues with my Air, except for the crash on Safari. But it appears that's more of a software issue rather than a lack of RAM.

Everything runs great. Fantastic build, great device to hold. If your on the fence, I'd say jump in.

I have zero issues with my Air, except for the crash on Safari. But it appears that's more of a software issue rather than a lack of RAM.

Everything runs great. Fantastic build, great device to hold. If your on the fence, I'd say jump in.

From what I've read 7.1 is supposed to fix most of the bugs so it's software issue for sure, but the lack of RAM still leads to constant tab refreshes in safari, and that's even with only one tab open

Deku Tree

I personally like the tab refreshes. I have fast wifi. And I also remember it happening with my 4S and my iPad 2 and it also happens with my wife's iPad Mini.

So I'm not sure the refreshing is just a RAM issue like GAF seems to have decided as a foregone conclusion.

It could be a software programming choice. So that people always get the uptodate web page, which is what I like.

Sickbean

I personally like the tab refreshes. I have fast wifi. And I also remember it happening with my 4S and my iPad 2 and it also happens with my wife's iPad Mini.

So I'm not sure the refreshing is just a RAM issue like GAF seems to have decided as a foregone conclusion.

It could be a software programming choice. So that people always get the uptodate web page, which is what I like.
It's useful in that respect, where it's not very helpful is if you are filling in a form, in which case it loses all the data you've entered. Granted this is a rare problem, but it's still annoying when it happens.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I like how you didn't quote the part where I explained myself. It is nice to have the latest version of a web page.
Nah, this sounds like a deal-breaker for me personally. If this is because of the 1GB of memory than they really missed that one. Losing your page often is just annoying, and unnecessary.

dream

Hasn't this "have the latest version of a webpage available" problem already been solved by the invention of the refresh button?

Exile550

Hey guys! I need help on choosing an Ipad. I'm thinking the regular Ipad because of the price, but the Ipad air is newer. I'll be using it for work mostly. Any reasons why I should choose one particular model over the other? Thanks for your input!

Hey guys! I need help on choosing an Ipad. I'm thinking the regular Ipad because of the price, but the Ipad air is newer. I'll be using it for work mostly. Any reasons why I should choose one particular model over the other? Thanks for your input!

The iPad Air is technologically vastly superior to the iPad 2 (which I think is what you mean by regular iPad) for a $100 more. The iPad 2 still being produced is a joke but that's another discussion

Jag

The iPad Air is technologically vastly superior to the iPad 2 (which I think is what you mean by regular iPad) for a $100 more. The iPad 2 still being produced is a joke but that's another discussion

Totally agree with this. Not even close.

mattiewheels

Have any other memory issues cropped up in the Air, though, besides that safari thing?

Alex

Tabs are the problem.

We have two of these and the problem occurs low tabs or high tabs, it seems very random although it probably isn't. About the only saving grace is if you multi-task back into it it usually saves your spot.

It would be even better if I had this apparently legendary "fast wifi" that invalidates all criticism or complaints on a product.

Have any other memory issues cropped up in the Air, though, besides that safari thing?

Not for me, I've heard some bits and bobs about lock ups and reboots but nothing anywhere close to as wide as with Safari, which you can just google to a million threads about.

Alex

Update has exceeded my expectations, massive improvement all around. Not only am I not getting any more crashes but absolutely everything runs way smoother and way faster, feels like a good desktop on an SSD.

BFIB

Update has exceeded my expectations, massive improvement all around. Not only am I not getting any more crashes but absolutely everything runs way smoother and way faster, feels like a good desktop on an SSD.

I think all of the freakouts over the RAM have been answered.

Alex

Does anyone know of a back cover with a stand of some sort? I'd like something to protect the back and I'd like a stand for certain times but I really dislike the folio bits. Might be an odd request, but I think it's what I would like if one exists.

Top Bottom