• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new Radiohead album imminent? - form new company similar to prior releases

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Some people on here hating "Like Spinning Plates"? WTF. That's one of my favorite songs on Amnesiac!

It feels funny to me that some of the more ethereal cuts like Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors and Like Spinning Plates are perhaps my favorite tracks on the album even though they were the first here people seemed to jump at criticizing lol

Analyzing a 6 second clip.

The thirst is very much real.

Was there ever a digital release for Supercollider and The Butcher or was it vinyl only?

There definitely was for Supercollider. Remember being there the first time it debuted live at the start of the In Rainbows tour in Dublin with just Thom playing it on piano. Magical.

Hail to the Thief is G.O.A.T. From the first track all the way to "I Will", it's a roller coaster ride. Then it gets all weird but by then you need to take a break from Thom Yorke tonguefucking your eardrums.

Hail to the Thief's first half is fanfuckingtastic. From 2+2=5 to There, There. most of it (not a fan of Backdrifts) is just pure greatness. Then I Will comes in and ruins the momentum (at least the version that was part of the album - the LA version that was on Com Lag was great - would have preferred that on HTTT). Punchup is meh for me, but it gets back into a great rhythm of things again from Myxomatosis and doesn't stop until after A Wolf at the Door.

I'll say it: Amnesiac is their worst non-Pablo Honey record.

Nope. King of Limbs is. And even then, it's still a good album.

Knives Out is one of my least favorite Radiohead songs of all time.

Straight garbagio. Trans-Atlantic Drawl, Kinetic and Amazing Sounds of Orgy should have all made the cut instead.

tumblr_mbwniwC0do1qh2o7zo5_r1_250.gif

1.) Kid A
2.) In Rainbows
3.) OK Computer
4.) Amnesiac
5.) The King of Limbs
6.) Hail to the Thief
7.) The Bends
8.) "The album title comes from a Jerky Boys prank call skit in which the prank caller says to his victim: 'Pablo, honey? Please come to Florida!' This snippet is sampled by the band on the track "How Do You?"." - Seriously, are you kidding me?

Genuinely LOL'ed at that.

Also, while I'm here - even though I've done it already in this thread - I'll take any opportunity to repeat my thoughts on the best ranked albums are.

Kid A (top spot is not even up for debate for me)
In Rainbows
OK Computer
Hail to the Thief
Amnesiac
The Bends
King of Limbs
------------
------------
------------
------------
------------
Pablo Honey

I remember when There There was debuted live. It was so awesome, then they neutered it in the studio. I wasn't a fan of how subdued they made Johnnys riff in the back half.

Oreoleo

Studio version came first. It's 'I Will' backwards, I think. I like the original, it sounds so volatile and dreamy. The double vocals are awesome. Whole thing is epic.
Don't get me wrong, I like the version that ended up on the album. But the piano from the live version gives it a whole different spin. Not entirely unlike the different versions of Morning Bell (which I go back and forth on which one I prefer pretty regularly). It would just be nice to hear a studio version with that piano backing is all.

Haha, I am well aware of what an outlier opinion that is, but I wear it as a badge of honor.

Oreoleo

The King Of Limbs is better than The Bends.

I think the highs on TKOL are higher than the Bends. But the Bends has MORE to like than TKOL.

The big problem for me with TKOL is the album is so light on tracks and there's still a few that are complete duds. If you're gonna release an 8 track album those 8 tracks better all be outstanding.

TKOL would have been a perfect 5 song EP. As is, it's just kind of a mediocre album.

I really, really hated King Of Limbs. I've listened to it about fifty times and I still don't get it. Aimless, tuneless, joyless.

Overall TKOL was disappointing, especially as a follow-up to arguably their best album.

Lotus Flower and Giving up the Ghost are good, and Codex is beautiful. It can be hard work getting to those track when listening to the LP in order though.

hughesta

Banned
I like every song on TKOL. It was the first album to release with me as a Radiohead fan. I can see how it would be disappointing to people who waited 4 years after In Rainbows to get 35 or so minutes of new music, with one if them being a there minute choppy instrumental, but I think every song on that record is great.

Servbot24

Banned
Overall TKOL was disappointing, especially as a follow-up to arguably their best album.

Lotus Flower and Giving up the Ghost are good, and Codex is beautiful. It can be hard work getting to those track when listening to the LP in order though.

I actually really like the sound of the first 4 songs. Feels like they kinda chickened out on the last 4, they should have gone all in.

Altazor

Considering this thread is rife with unpopular opinions, here's my crazy one: I've never liked "Give Up the Ghost" that much. Yes, it's the most "honest", "intimate" song the band has done in quite a while, but I just can't get into it.

I vastly prefer "Codex" to be honest. That one kinda slays me.

I have a hard time deciding between In Rainbows and Ok Computer, so excited with all the news this week, gonna see em at MSG in july.

big ander

1. Kid A
2. In Rainbows
3. OK Computer
4. Hail to the Thief
5. Amnesiac
6. The Bends
7. The King of Limbs
8. Pablo Honey

Top 3 are their only great albums, next 3 have great songs and moments but trip up in at least one major way, bottom 2 are plainly not good albums

Released

oh boy lists

1. In Rainbows
2. Kid A
3. OK Computer
4. Amnesiac
5. The Bends
6. Hail to the Thief
7. The King of Limbs

8. Pablo Honey

The top 3 are among my favorite albums ever. All the non-Pablo Honey stuff is pretty great still. That album is shit.

As far as the release date of the new album, I'm gonna say that it will for sure be out Friday. I think we'll get a video tomorrow/Thursday and a digital release on Friday. That being said, I think the way they've teased the album has been unique to say the least.

If we're doing rankings, here's mine:
1. Kid A
2. In Rainbows
3. Amnesiac
4. OK Computer
5. The Bends
6. TKOL
7. HTTT
8. Pablo Honey

Servbot24

Banned
I tried to make a list of my favorite Radiohead songs, but I couldn't get any further than

1. How to Disappear Completely
2. Climbing Up the Walls

Tenebrous

Kid A (#1 album of all time for me)
OKC = In Rainbows
The Bends <=> HTTT
TKoL = Amnesiac (both of these could be a lot higher if they included B-sides)
PH

Something like that, anyway.

I tried to make a list of my favorite Radiohead songs, but I couldn't get any further than

1. How to Disappear Completely
2. Climbing Up the Walls

No Treefingers? Boo.

Yeah I'm kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom