• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Concord headed to be Sony's biggest first party flop ever?

Haint

This game isn’t as AAA as you think it is

I doubt it cost more than $50-100M to make

Definitely way more than 50. 100 is on the very lowest end possible, probably closer to 200 than 100. That CG movie alone was $30+ million. A single year of salaries, taxes, and overhead at 150+ head studio in Bellvue would be around $40 million.

Killjoy-NL

Well...the last 3 sony (or sony adiacent) games i played are hd2 that has zero woke in it, stellar blade that has zero woke in it, and spiderman 2 that was the wokest game i ever played in my life so it seems like not every sony game suffer from this.

Right now i'm playing outcast new beginning and i only encountered a single woke line of dialogue after 10 hours, and it's an alien world so it even hit differently.

So no, not everyone is infected by the woke virus, even horizon 2 and ragnarock are nowhere near the level of wokeness of spidey 2, so even between the "woke" studios there is a differentiation.

I can survive with some throw away woke elements in ragnarock, but i can't deal with another sp2 situation.
Overwatch and Apex are pretty Woke-ish though.

Maybe it's hero shooters related.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
giphy.gif

Rockman33

This game isn’t as AAA as you think it is

I doubt it cost more than $50-100M to make
What’s the bar for AAA? I’d think 80+ would put it in AAA category?

Astro bots new game probably cost around 30-40 million. Just a guess on I think they said it took 3 years to make with roughly 80 employees. If each dev mad around 100k a year that would put it around 24 mill. Some I’m being generous with my estimate. Does that mean it’s a A or AA game?

Isn’t an argument question, generally curious what people think.

What’s the bar for AAA? I’d think 80+ would put it in AAA category?

Astro bots new game probably cost around 30-40 million. Just a guess on I think they said it took 3 years to make with roughly 80 employees. If each dev mad around 100k a year that would put it around 24 mill. Some I’m being generous with my estimate. Does that mean it’s a A or AA game?

Isn’t an argument question, generally curious what people think.

These days I think AAA is basically over 200M

Rockman33

Lets not compare it to Redfall…Like at all, Redfall failed on every level, Concords failure is the saturated market and tone deaf designs.
I’ll there will have been more concurrent users of Redfall of steam than concord when it launches. And that’s with a $30 price increase and a game that was on gamepass when it launched.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Are you surprised?

This is also from one of the dudes working on the game (the character designer i think)

This is an over simplification. The sentiment being expressed is that whites must acknowledge their privileged position, and then actively work for equality. It will be hard and confronting work, but if we don't we're complicit. And complicity allows systemic racism to persist."

Sony is fucked if every studio they have turned into a woke asylum.
If?

Killjoy-NL

"Woke" is NeoGAF's favorite bogeyman buzz word for anything they don't like huh

Sometimes the single minded obsession with dragging "woke" into discussions about any and everything on here reminds me of the purple forum, just in the other direction
Gaf is literally the same as Era, but on the other end of the spectrum.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Gaf is literally the same as Era, but on the other end of the spectrum.
Or, and here me out here- there is no fricken spectrum at all, on one side u got insane ppl who think biology doesnt exist and cant tell what is a woman, on the other u got rest of the world- ppl who use logics and see things for how they are in reality, for example if baby tigress is born from mommy tigress and papa tiger, even if its in a barn, its still a tiger-puppy, no matter if it thinks of itself as a calv, horse or apache helicopter :)

"Woke" is NeoGAF's favorite bogeyman buzz word for anything they don't like huh
Funny, I never ever heard someone calling "woke" a game if they disliked the gunplay, platforming, latency, level progression, etc of a game.

I've only heard people calling a game woke because of the political messages/forced inclusion on games.

It would be funny if a game came and is running at unstable 20-30 FPS and someone would call it "woke" because of it.

Killjoy-NL

Or, and here me out here- there is no fricken spectrum at all, on one side u got insane ppl who think biology doesnt exist and cant tell what is a woman, on the other u got rest of the world- ppl who use logics and see things for how they are in reality, for example if baby tigress is born from mommy tigress and papa tiger, even if its in a barn, its still a tiger-puppy, no matter if it thinks of itself as a calv, horse or apache helicopter :)
There most definitely is a spectrum, you just decided to cherrypick a single aspect to turn it black and white.

That's why some of you seem to think like I'm some defender of Woke irt Concord when I'm as much against Woke as you are.

But there is point where you have to wonder if you aren't taking things a bit too far.

Last edited:

Denorion

Overwatch and Apex are pretty Woke-ish though.

Maybe it's hero shooters related.

Overwatch might have less conventional designs like Zarya and Ana, but also has cool/attractive characters like Genji, Mercy, etc (also, try to guess which characters get more skins) they know that it's better to cater to all tastes

Concord solely focuses on woke designs, also, let's be honest, the only reason they put pronouns in the character select screen is because the developers wanted to drive off the "chud audience"

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Overwatch might have less conventional designs like Zarya and Ana, but also has cool/attractive characters like Genji, Mercy, etc (also, try to guess which characters get more skins) they know that it's better to cater to all tastes

Concord solely focuses on woke designs, also, let's be honest, the only reason they put pronouns in the character select screen is because the developers wanted to drive of the "chud audience"
I agree. That's where Concord fucked up.

Last edited:

Denorion

I dunno about Concord, but, if this tweet has any validity, it would explain much about the current state of the game and its design choices.
I've recently read an article stating how OG bungie devs went through all the trouble of going to army offices and shooting ranges, to make sure that the human weapons in halo feel real

Meanwhile, the current art designer in 343 admitted that guns make him uncomfortable, but halo being sci-fi helps him get through it

IF YOU DISLIKE GUNS, WHY ARE YOU WORKING ON A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER?

Last edited:

Concord solely focuses on woke designs, also, let's be honest, the only reason they put pronouns in the character select screen is because the developers wanted to drive off the "chud audience"

What’s ”woke” about designs like those of Star Child, Teo, IT-Z, Haymar, Kyps, or 1-Off? I mean, since you say it solely focuses on ”woke” and all? Seems like it’s taken on a rather broad definition.

I mean, I get disliking the characters, I do. But ”woke”? Not seeing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom