• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Working Designs dead?

Limedust

I'd have some smartass comment to make about how long they take to do ANYTHING... if it weren't for the existence of 3D Realms.

ferricide

BobbyRobby said:
What is the MSRP for GG:Deluxe? I want to make sure Gamestop isn't overcharging me at $90.

http://www.workingdesigns.com/games/playstation2/contents.htm

$89.99 Deluxe Pack
that page rather depressingly reminds me that they haven't had a PS2 game out since its launch, more or less. i remember playing a previewable copy of silpheed (sent by WD) before the system came out in the U.S., even if the game ended up getting delayed by a few months. lord.

Tortfeasor

Neutron Night said:
Yes, actually, at least the guy on the left. Then again, I don't know as many retarded people as you do apparently.

That is a picture of a few members of "The Monkeys" the faux band and TV actors. Neither has down syndrome.

Gruco

Banned
Neutron Night said:
One of the morons who posted against WD in this thread, please explain your problem.
I thought I was pretty clear, but just to emphasize....
Is it the fact that they produce the best packaging in possibly the entire industry?
More the fact that they tie products together to make people pay more for something as completely inconsequential as packaging. Good packing is nice. $20 for an extra shiny instruction manual is a waste of money.

Is it the fact that their translations are among the best in the business?
Their translations are not even close, because are generally not very true to the source material, in terms of overall content. More importantly, they take it on themselves to make ridiculously stupid gameplay adjustments that make the ports play much worse than the original. The worst offenders are Silhouette Mirage, where they fucked with the weapons system to destroy whatever balance was aready there, and Allundra, where they altered the damage taken/recieved formula (like an Tales All-Divide going in the opposite direction).

Add to the fact they they spend an absurd amount of time bringing over games that are not only old, but in general not very good.

Is it the fact that you have Down's Syndrome?
No.

Neutron Night said:
The majority of Growlanser Generations will be the regular edition, the special edition will be ridiculously rare, which is why I have preordered it already.

It's good to see you investing so early for your children's college fund!

firex

I just killed Working Designs single-handedly. I took an obscure anime themed japanese RPG, and rewrote all of the dialogue into a big long series of "Who farted?" "You did." "No you did!" and they closed up shop because they knew they couldn't compete.

Working Designs did seem to tone down the out of place humor for Arc the Lad. That was actually a well put together collection of games, at least one of which was fun, in a very attractive package and with a decent manual that looked quite nice.

The other extras were perhaps worthless, but the game did show some increase in maturity from Lunar 2.

As for the changes in Alundra, I thought a lot of the late-in battles were too long anyway. I never died in any battles, but I welcomed the increase in damage from enemies and the decrease in boss life. It meant that the fights were shorter and harder, which implies that it was almost unbearable originally.

I may not think they always do a good job, but it would be a shame to see them go. There are still plenty of good games that do not make it over here. Atlus can't handle them all.

Tortfeasor

Part of WD's problem is that they do not just do translations... They have it in their head to make the games better. While I am not against the idea, this has in the past led WD to very long turn around times on games due to the work involved in doing this programming and the extended submission process with Sony since it created a myriad of new bugs.

Sony actually goes out of their wayto make the process for approval of a localized title easy beacuse you need to just submit a script and bugs are generally generated from items left open in the old bug database. Because of the the can of worms opened by WD when "fixing" some titles long delays develop.

I am sure that if they started just doing localization and minor bug fixes that they would be forced to do by SCEA, they could run through 1 title a quarter. If that was the case, nobody would complain and we would get neat little titles here that would normally never get the chance to see the light of day. Instead they are pumping out titles at the rate of once every year or year and a half which frightens the hell out of retailers and the japanese licensees making it harder for them to continue to do business in the future.

My .02 is that WD should just do basic localization of quirky japanese and european titles in their trademark quirky way and pump them out in a consistant stream... Sort of like they did in the old days. Screw all the extras, the "fixes", and everything that causes these delays, really... it is about the games.

jarrod

Banned
Considering their constant problems with SCEA, it might be good to branch out a little too. There's plenty of worthwhile GC, XBox and especially GBA imports wasting away in Japan...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, I'm not overly fond of "limited editions" for games/comics/etc.. it just seems like a cheap attempt to cash in on the consumers.

"LOOKY! FLASHY SILVER COVER! Buy it now for twice the normal price, then buy it again when the standard edition gets released!"

ferricide said:
i disagree that the packaging looks good; it's typically gaudy and unattractive. too much foil embossing, amaturish graphic design, and yellow text. arc the lad was probably their best effort in the packaging arena. i also think all of the bonus items are laughable crap.

I couldn't agree more. I'm about the biggest packaging whore you'll ever meet. I've actually bought games based on their nice manuals and covers alone in the past, not to mention bought the same game in multiple regions just to get all the variations on the packaging and artwork. And I think WD's packaging is the most amateurish, chinsy-ass crap I've ever seen. They have no concept of style, and apparently think that putting a thick coat of gloss on every single page, foil-embossing or slapping an ugly gradient on every word of text inside and outside the manual (making it practically impossible to read unless you catch the light just right), and throwing in second rate crane-game jewelry makes a game classy, collectible, or somehow more like a nice Japanese release. They fail hideously.

I'm just glad to see someone agrees for once. I can't believe how many people actually think this garbage is attractive.

But then, Neutron Night pretty much holds the most idiotic views imaginable on, well, everything, so I can't say I'm too surprised. I'm glad to see a few WD fanboys still exist, honestly. I was starting to actually feel sorry for Vic, since I know in my heart that he means well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:
Considering their constant problems with SCEA, it might be good to branch out a little too. There's plenty of worthwhile GC, XBox and especially GBA imports wasting away in Japan...

Jarrod, man...are you STILL waiting on games like Bubble Bobble Old And New? I admire your dedication, but it's time you started importing. :p

I can't think of any "worthwhile" XBox and GC imports, Otogi 2 (coming from Sega) and Naruto 2 (which WD wouldn't ever get) that would be worth bringing over and haven't already been licensed though. And WD doesn't do cartridge based games.

DDayton

Lyte Edge said:
And WD doesn't do cartridge based games.

... another reason they are incompetent.

WD sounds like some GBA ports would be right up their alley... get some interesting, but semi-obscure GBA RPG, change the text, and sell it. Heck, fill the box with little shiny gold colored coins and plastic seashells...

DavidDayton said:
... another reason they are incompetent.

WD sounds like some GBA ports would be right up their alley... get some interesting, but semi-obscure GBA RPG, change the text, and sell it. Heck, fill the box with little shiny gold colored coins and plastic seashells...

Forget RPGs, why not just bring over Kururin 1 and 2 - do it as the first ever 2-cart GBA 'deluxe pack' in the US. I've always believed those games could be hits over here, and the translation job could be finished in no time. Or if those are too hard to license from Nintendo, how about Gurulogi Champ? Everyone I know who has played it considers it one of the very best GBA games, if not the best, not to mention one of the most brilliant puzzle games ever made. With Compile dead and buried I can't imagine it would cost anything to bring it over.

Maybe I should send a letter to Mastiff about that one. They're bringing over Technic Beat, so obviously they have an eye for quality!

Shouta

Their translations are not even close, because are generally not very true to the source material, in terms of overall content. More importantly, they take it on themselves to make ridiculously stupid gameplay adjustments that make the ports play much worse than the original. The worst offenders are Silhouette Mirage, where they fucked with the weapons system to destroy whatever balance was aready there, and Allundra, where they altered the damage taken/recieved formula (like an Tales All-Divide going in the opposite direction).

Saying their translations isn`t a bold-fonted lie if you ask me ;p. The only thing you can nab them on is their jokes but that doesn`t change the fact that their actualwork is quite terrific.

I bought some insanely cheap copies of Arc the Lad 1-3, Alundra, and, Albert Odyssey Gaiden for the Saturn. Arc 1-3 translations were excellent and actually easily their best jobs if not the best overall translation job I`ve seen for a translated Japanese game (lack of humor was in part due to the source material) Haven`t loaded up Alundra yet and I can`t do AOG until I get back to the states but their overall work (story content, and normal dialogue writing) still is the best overall with Atlus starting to catch-up after doing some quick runs through Arc 1-3 (a few hours a piece and thankfully I had epsxe saves from the Japanese version that someone gave me ;p).

At any rate, I hope WD doesn`t die out. There`s still a need for them here and there, perhaps not as prevalent as before but still there. I`ve been playing through Growlanser and I`m quite pleased with the game myself.

Edit: Oh and the choices WD picked for cover art is way better than 90% of the goddamn industry if you ask me aside from the semi-ugly box design from time to time.

DDayton

bobbyconover said:
Maybe I should send a letter to Mastiff about that one. They're bringing over Technic Beat, so obviously they have an eye for quality!

Wait -- maybe Mastiff is the NEW Working Designs...

Just without the glitter, at half the price, and with better games?

jarrod

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Jarrod, man...are you STILL waiting on games like Bubble Bobble Old And New? I admire your dedication, but it's time you started importing. :p
Still waiting... though I'm considering UK imports of Kururin, Bubble Bobble and Mr Driller 2 now. I like my games in English if possible. :)

Lyte Edge said:
I can't think of any "worthwhile" XBox and GC imports, Otogi 2 (coming from Sega) and Naruto 2 (which WD wouldn't ever get) that would be worth bringing over and haven't already been licensed though.
Well, off the top of my head for GameCube, there's Mr Driller Land, Giftpia, HomeLand, Tengai Makyou 2, Doshin, Shiro no Shikigami 2, Bomberman Land 2, ChibiRobo, and the entire Hudson Selections series. On XBox there's Phantom Dust, Psyvariar 2, Shikigami no Shiro, Puyo Fever, Chrome Hound, Magatama, Tenerezza and Thousand Land. There's probably more for both consoles that slipped my mind...

Lyte Edge said:
And WD doesn't do cartridge based games.
Actually Vic mentioned last year they were considering starting GBA publishing. He thinks they'd have to charge a higher premium for their products most likely though ($39 I'd bet). Besides, WD started out on carts anyway. :)

Gruco

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
I missed out on that entire controversy - enlighten, please.

From the manual

The major change was making the game harder than the Japanese release. We accomplished this in two ways. First, the cost of weapons was increased and the monsters made more damaging. Second, the parasites were made to actually use a bit of spirit power when they were used, which made it necessary for the player to replenish this power. We accomplished this by adding a "spirit stealing" feature where the player could "steal" spirit power from enemies. In the original Japanese version, the player merely reduced the enemy spirit power if the attributes were the same.

This had all sorts of consequences, including

-More time pounding coins out of enemies, less time fighting.
-The "bit" of spirit power some weapons used depleted the bar so rapidly as to make them unusable.
-Learning curve was steeper than it should have been.
-Stealing changed the role and importance of switching between Red and Blue (this made the game sometimes easier, sometimes harder IMO. You can argue that this was a legitimate improvement I guess, but I still think that WD should not be taking it upon themselves to do things like this)

I never played the Japanese version, so I'm inferring the consequences to some extent.

BuddyC

I don't care if they tinker around, but give me the option the play it the way the developer intended. Blah.

That is a picture of a few members of "The Monkeys" the faux band and TV actors. Neither has down syndrome.

Dude, I know. I was making a smartass remark, geez.

More the fact that they tie products together to make people pay more for something as completely inconsequential as packaging. Good packing is nice. $20 for an extra shiny instruction manual is a waste of money.

1. Not for a collector it isn't.

2. They don't charge $20 for a manual, and you know it.

95% of the changes they make are improvements. Adding analog support, fixing bugs, increasing the video and sound quality of FMV, etc. If only other localizers cared as much about the game and the Western audience as much as WD does.

That's what they get for abandoning my beloved Saturn.

The absolute last game on the Saturn (in the US) was a WD game.

Try again.

You know, I'm not overly fond of "limited editions" for games/comics/etc.. it just seems like a cheap attempt to cash in on the consumers.

"LOOKY! FLASHY SILVER COVER! Buy it now for twice the normal price, then buy it again when the standard edition gets released!"

If you were a collector, you'd understand the appeal.

But then, Neutron Night pretty much holds the most idiotic views imaginable on, well, everything, so I can't say I'm too surprised. I'm glad to see a few WD fanboys still exist, honestly. I was starting to actually feel sorry for Vic, since I know in my heart that he means well.

Interesting. Apparently your personality is based on having the exact opposite of whatever my opinion is. Since I'm heterosexual, that must mean you're gay.

And what, may I ask, is your idea of great packaging?

Wait -- maybe Mastiff is the NEW Working Designs...

Just without the glitter, at half the price, and with better games?

Unless I'm mistaken, WD doesn't censor games.

Mastiff can go fuck themselves.

Much of the WD hate is foistered by humorless Japanophiles. Not that WD is perfect by any means...the delays are ridiculous, and I'm not a fan of the extra shit they started throwing into their games. But their translations are generally excellent, and I can't believe how many people get their panties in a wad over a few silly jokes that you usually have to dig deep to find anyway. As if God himself laid down the original dialogue in kanji, and altering any of it is some terrible sin.

Same thing for the gameplay changes...some are for better, some are for worse, but of course the original Japanese version MUST be better because it's, well, from Japan.

belgurdo said:
WD won't be around within five years; might as well tell us so that we can get petitions to Atlus so that they can pick up their work ready

Maybe they'll get a mediocre dating sim from WD's corpse and spend four years trying to polish a turd, while squeezing out quickie translations for SMT and its spinoffs! Wouldn't that be great?

ferricide

Catchpenny said:
Much of the WD hate is foistered by humorless Japanophiles. Not that WD is perfect by any means...the delays are ridiculous, and I'm not a fan of the extra shit they started throwing into their games. But their translations are generally excellent, and I can't believe how many people get their panties in a wad over a few silly jokes that you usually have to dig deep to find anyway. As if God himself laid down the original dialogue in kanji, and altering any of it is some terrible sin.
that is such a ridiculous assessment of the argument levied by intelligent, informed people. granted, some people act that way, but guess what -- it doesn't mean that the lameness they've saddled a number of games with isn't legitimately poor. arc the lad collection showed them to be on the upswing, though. we can only hope for the best.

i think my problem with the jokes is not that they've been inappropriate (which they are) as IMO they're typically unfunny and forced. and they really come to the forefront of some games -- albert odyssey, for example, which is IMO their worst localization.

Catchpenny said:
Same thing for the gameplay changes...some are for better, some are for worse, but of course the original Japanese version MUST be better because it's, well, from Japan.
no, i think it's because the people who made the games are the people who made the games. ahem. and thus have a clue about issues like design and balance. WD has time and again screwed up the balance of games to a greater or lesser extent. again, ATLC didn't have this problem, which i'm thankful for.

and while we're at it, they're also not the only people to implement changes like this, contrary to what one might think. they are, however, the only people who put page-long dissertations about it into their instruction manuals...

Catchpenny said:
while squeezing out quickie translations for SMT and its spinoffs! Wouldn't that be great?
yes, that would be fantastic, actually. SMT <3 <3 <3

Neutron Night said:
Interesting. Apparently your personality is based on having the exact opposite of whatever my opinion is. Since I'm heterosexual, that must mean you're gay.

Snappy comeback! Which playground did you learn that from?

i think my problem with the jokes is not that they've been inappropriate (which they are) as IMO they're typically unfunny and forced. and they really come to the forefront of some games -- albert odyssey, for example, which is IMO their worst localization.

1. Most of WD's jokes are funny. If they weren't, I would have a problem. Good thing they are.

2. WD's dialogue in Albert Odyssey was the sole redeeming feature of that game. Same for Shining Wisdom. If their translation can make a bad game playable, what's the problem?

Shouta

Albert Odyssey is honestly, their worst work. Too many bad jokes despite by the fact that the normal dialogue isn`t too bad.

ferricide

Neutron Night said:
2. WD's dialogue in Albert Odyssey was the sole redeeming feature of that game. Same for Shining Wisdom. If their translation can make a bad game playable, what's the problem?
awesome music, appealing graphics, and good atmosphere are its redeeming features. i beat it in japanese before playing the US version. OMG

Neutron Night said:
1. Most of WD's jokes are funny. If they weren't, I would have a problem. Good thing they are.

Yeah, but your posting history demonstrates you have a very poor grasp of effective humor or writing.

Neutron Night said:

My concerns are more with the unwarranted playbalancing than the unfunny jokes. Still, both problems have been toned down significantly in the last generation, especially translation - it's mostly a non-issue in their most recent games. Here's hoping that Working Designs can get back on their feet.

awesome music, appealing graphics, and good atmosphere are its redeeming features. i beat it in japanese before playing the US version. OMG

That's strange, I can usually find the good points in pretty much any RPG (see my defense of Legend of Dragoon in the other thread), but I thought Albert Odyssey was pretty much the most generic RPG I've played in the last 5 years at least. I played it for 20 or so hours, too, which is significant because I haven't even opened half my games. I bought it to complete my collection of Saturn RPGs, that was pretty much it. Look up "cliche Japanese RPG" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of this game. WD's packaging was the best part of the game, hands down.

Yeah, but your posting history demonstrates you have a very poor grasp of effective humor or writing.

But I had a good grasp of your mom last - nah, I'm better than this. I won't let you goad me into petty trolling.

Neutron Night said:
I won't let you goad me into petty trolling.

Clearly, you don't need me to goad you into petty trolling. You're doing fine on your own.

EDIT: But why not try!

bobbyconover said:
Neutron Night pretty much holds the most idiotic views imaginable on, well, everything, so I can't say I'm too surprised.
Neutron Night said:
see my defense of Legend of Dragoon in the other thread

Neutron Night said:
Since I'm heterosexual, that must mean you're gay.

And what, may I ask, is your idea of great packaging?

Anything that prominently features the male buttocks and/or spread-legged crotch shots, uses radiant pink hues in its color scheme, and includes muscular men in tight jumpsuits prancing and frolicing about.

Namely,

gc_viewtifuljoe.jpg

Nice picture. Two colors. Red text on black background, nice touch. I like the font. Impressive use of capitalization and spelling. Lacking a period. Appears to be English. Rectangular shape. Fascinating...

You're an idiot.

DDayton

Neutron Night said:
If you were a collector, you'd understand the appeal.

Oh, I think I'm more of a collector than you are... it's just that I don't see the point of "false" rarity and collectibility. Artificially manufacturing rarity and "collectibility" seems inane; if you are speaking as a -collector-, you'd be more interested in the entire collections and in -true- rarity, caused by the market and events. Artificially constructed "rarity" seems to be an exploitation of the "collector" folks, as opposed to something they should be happy about.

Now, granted, I enjoy a well done limited run if the limited run is done because it truly provides a useful or better experience... not a flashy manual and some foil on the case.

(Side note: What does our pal Neutron think of the Famicom Mini series?)

DavidDayton said:

Considering that he thinks ALL GBA games are worthless and dated pieces of shit, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he doesn't have the most positive opinion of re-releases of 20-year-old games for it.

Oh, I think I'm more of a collector than you are... it's just that I don't see the point of "false" rarity and collectibility. Artificially manufacturing rarity and "collectibility" seems inane; if you are speaking as a -collector-, you'd be more interested in the entire collections and in -true- rarity, caused by the market and events. Artificially constructed "rarity" seems to be an exploitation of the "collector" folks, as opposed to something they should be happy about.

It doesn't matter whether the rarity is artificial or not, as long as it really IS rare. Take SWG "collector's" edition, I was conned into paying $80 for it on release day. Flash forward to today, it's available for like $25 on Ebay, my local EB STILL has a copy laying around. That was no collector's edition. That's why I was pissed when Disgaea was rereleased and La Pucelle was released in significant quantities. I want niche games that will be collector's items, I want another Panzer Saga (I have a sealed copy, BTW). Since a collector's dream like that is unlikely to happen again soon, the next best thing is deluxe editions like GG.

Look at how valuable some of those old PSOne RPG's are:

$300 for a new Suikoden 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116979642&rd=1

Nearly $113 for a USED copy of Valkryie Profile (this was no fluke either, there were 23 bids): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8115802468&rd=1

$163 for a new Tactics Ogre and guide: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116619036&rd=1

$90 for Tales of Destiny: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116892418&rd=1

$84 for a used Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (I've seen it go higher): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116618180&rd=1

$153 for a new Lunar 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8117257138&rd=1

$153 for a new Suikoden 1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8115839640&rd=1

$80 for Tales of Destiny 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116463966&rd=1

$92 for original version Xenogears: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116723214&rd=1

Just to use a few non-PSOne examples:

$78 for Shenmue 2 PAL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4305&item=8114976978&rd=1

$85 for Shining Force 3: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8115982982&rd=1

$123 for a used Dragon Force: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8117200070&rd=1

Final Fantasy Anthology/Chronicles used to be fairly valuable before the scourge of humanity known as Greatest Hits showed up. The point is, NO ONE thought these games would be this valuable when they first came out. The deluxe version of GG may become one of these games. There have been no really rare or valuable games this generation. Disgaea was the closest thing to a rare RPG for the PS2, then then Atlus swooped in and rereleased it and Circuit City finished it off with their fucking $5 deal.

I own all of the aformentioned games (well, except Rhapsody, I really need to pick up that one) and if I was lucky I could sell EVERY ONE of them for more than I paid. Some times considerably more. Like twice as much. But I wouldn't dream of it because I'm a collector. I don't collect crap, I'm not interested in having 500 Atari 2600 cartridges lying around. WD is pretty much the only company that releases games targeted at me and others like me. Then the other people figure it out and end up paying through the ass for it. It takes a discerning eye to determine the future classic from the future bargin bin fodder.

Oh, and I used to own all four versions of the Dragon Force disk art, but I sold three of them because only one was in mint condition. So it's not like I don't try to complete anything. But I am REALLY a stickler for condition, I'm absolute NOT interested in any game that's not at LEAST near mint condition. All my games are immaculate. And yes, I have bought games based on packaging. Is it really any different that people who collect stamps or coins? Some people just appreciate a certain type of gaming. Anyway, rant over.

NES games on GBA? Didn't I already go over how much that shit sucked in my "portable gaming is an abomination" thread? What does that have to do with this discussion, are they really rare or something?

madara

Wow, i wonder if my LE imports of Disgaea, Angels Present and La Pucelle have increased in worth. Then again they are in japanese and high ebay ones are english. Didnt know that my Rhapsody was worth near $100 though.

Oh more in subject to thread I still would like to see someone attempt localize Atelier Iris and Rhapsody sequel Angels Present(alot work I know with vocals and singing).

Neutron Night said:
Oh, and I used to own all four versions of the Dragon Force disk art, but I sold three of them because only one was in mint condition. So it's not like I don't try to complete anything. But I am REALLY a stickler for condition, I'm absolute NOT interested in any game that's not at LEAST near mint condition. All my games are immaculate. And yes, I have bought games based on packaging. Is it really any different that people who collect stamps or coins?

5103.jpg

BuddyC

this thread has taken quite the horrifying turn. stop it, all of you (well, really only neutron).

sidenote: $84 for Rhapsody? Damn.

Neutron Night said:
It doesn't matter whether the rarity is artificial or not, as long as it really IS rare. Take SWG "collector's" edition, I was conned into paying $80 for it on release day. Flash forward to today, it's available for like $25 on Ebay, my local EB STILL has a copy laying around. That was no collector's edition. That's why I was pissed when Disgaea was rereleased and La Pucelle was released in significant quantities. I want niche games that will be collector's items, I want another Panzer Saga (I have a sealed copy, BTW). Since a collector's dream like that is unlikely to happen again soon, the next best thing is deluxe editions like GG.

$300 for a new Suikoden 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116979642&rd=1

Nearly $113 for a USED copy of Valkryie Profile (this was no fluke either, there were 23 bids): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8115802468&rd=1

$163 for a new Tactics Ogre and guide: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116619036&rd=1

$90 for Tales of Destiny: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116892418&rd=1

$84 for a used Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure (I've seen it go higher): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116618180&rd=1

$153 for a new Lunar 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8117257138&rd=1

$153 for a new Suikoden 1: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8115839640&rd=1

$80 for Tales of Destiny 2: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116463966&rd=1

$92 for original version Xenogears: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8116723214&rd=1

$78 for Shenmue 2 PAL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4305&item=8114976978&rd=1

$85 for Shining Force 3: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8115982982&rd=1

$123 for a used Dragon Force: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8117200070&rd=1

Final Fantasy Anthology/Chronicles used to be fairly valuable before the scourge of humanity known as Greatest Hits showed up. The point is, NO ONE thought these games would be this valuable when they first came out. The deluxe version of GG may become one of these games. There have been no really rare or valuable games this generation. Disgaea was the closest thing to a rare RPG for the PS2, then then Atlus swooped in and rereleased it and Circuit City finished it off with their fucking $5 deal.

I own all of the aformentioned games (well, except Rhapsody, I really need to pick up that one) and if I was lucky I could sell EVERY ONE of them for more than I paid. Some times considerably more. Like twice as much. But I wouldn't dream of it because I'm a collector. I don't collect crap, I'm not interested in having 500 Atari 2600 cartridges lying around. WD is pretty much the only company that releases games targeted at me and others like me. Then the other people figure it out and end up paying through the ass for it. It takes a discerning eye to determine the future classic from the future bargin bin fodder.

Oh, and I used to own all four versions of the Dragon Force disk art, but I sold three of them because only one was in mint condition. So it's not like I don't try to complete anything. But I am REALLY a stickler for condition, I'm absolute NOT interested in any game that's not at LEAST near mint condition. All my games are immaculate. And yes, I have bought games based on packaging. Is it really any different that people who collect stamps or coins? Some people just appreciate a certain type of gaming. Anyway, rant over.

NES games on GBA? Didn't I already go over how much that shit sucked in my "portable gaming is an abomination" thread? What does that have to do with this discussion, are they really rare or something?

This is the attitude that killed the comic industry. Alot of the games you mention have a big price becuase 1 they are on ebay and 2 not many people bought them. Most normal people don't collect games for the price but to play them. I tracked down a new copy of rez when I first got the PS2 not becuase the game might be valuable but I wanted to play it, and I didn't and I wouldn't pay anything more the the normal price for it.
I agree with many Working Designs time has past, becuase in general alot of companies publish the tradational RPGs that they used to publish. Now if Working Designs would publish somehting a bit off beat like Sakura Wars, then maybe I could see them being around.

Vandiger

Neutron Night said:

Ok I own almost every one of those games listed above except for one thing....I've played them all :p How fucking worthless to keep a sealed copy of a game, that is just sad to me.

I think a few of the people complaining about WD's flashy packaging and extras are the same people who jizz and cry over Japan getting exclusive goodies with their releases.

jarrod

Banned
trippingmartian said:
I think a few of the people complaining about WD's flashy packaging and extras are the same people who jizz and cry over Japan getting exclusive goodies with their releases.
I also think they're some of the people who can discern "good" design from "bad" design. ;)

Top Bottom