• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It legit feels like we’re coming to the end of “Gaming” as it has existed the past 30+ years

Mr.Phoenix

The only thing you have said that I agree with... is that gaming journo is dead. But that is true to every other media publication since the internet came along.

There is a proper way to go about gaming journalism in this landscape, its just that no one is doing it.

Kabelly

Splatoon 3 is out now.

Stellar Blade released this year too.

Planet Coaster 2 is releasing soon! I'm so fed. Must be sad to not find any enjoyment in the thousands of games that have released. I'm sure you haven't played everything from the past 3 years.

DaGwaphics

I'm a little disappointed with how little output we get from the major publishers now, and how repetitive the content we do get from them is. But, there are still so many interesting games getting released (big and small) that I don't think that traditional gaming is dead just yet. Plus, games made over the last 10-15 years hold up relatively well on modern hardware - meaning there is a ton of great older games you probably haven't played yet and as a bonus they are dirt cheap.

PanzerCute

Jonah Hill GIF

Just played Returnal and Hunt: Showdown for hours tonight. Git rekt.
You sir have perfect tastes in video games.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I can't take OP seriously when he immediately disregards all indie developers as "not professional quality" when some of the best games ever made were by independent studios. Seems to me you just want the unsustainable AAA massive budget model to persist, and fuck if I know why as the vast majority of those "professional quality" games by AAA studios in the past ten years have been massive disappointments and are just generally uninspired box checkers that are about as safe as a fuckin cereal commercial. If that's what the industry has to embody in order to be considered alive and well, then I'm more than good with it dying.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
AA studios never really existed tbh.
To prove this point, I'll ask you: What are the AA games you remember from the years 2000-2010?
I'd argue the nuance is they do - but noone stays an AA studio for long, capitalism isn't interested in profitability or success, only growth.
As for 00s - it's a weird decade as at the start of it - 'AAA' didn't even exist - so it's a bit difficult to classify what was what until we get to 2004 or thereabouts.
Eg. by any normal definition of the term - games like ICO are the posterchild of 'AA' (here's one big name for your question that everyone remembers), but revisionist history and association to platform holder gets people to reclassify things to suit their view of the world instead.

I would love to believe there is space for “AA studios”, but nobody seems to really be competing in that space. Things either have astronomical budgets, or shoestring budgets, with nothing really in between.
That's just false on all counts though. Regardless of what 'you' define as AA - there's more software in that 'in between' budget space nowadays than at any point in history. And I'd argue more high-quality too - but again - maybe you can tell us what's your 'last known good AA title' to set the benchmark - and then we can list all the ones you're missing since then - because they are released in large numbers every year.

Last edited:

Griffon

My first guess is that OP only plays on big consoles and doesn't have a Switch nor a gaming PC or Steam Deck.

Gaming is in the middle of an amazing renaissance, too bad you only buy big budget trash.

Last edited:

RCU005

It just sort of feels like games are just becoming these throwaway products that aren’t even designed to entertain.

I think this is 100% right! Every publisher and developer wants to make GaaS games and their first design choice is: how to milk money. Of course it's very obvious, since that's the point of GaaS, but that is exactly the issue!. They no longer care about world design, characters or story. They want every game to be have an arena, loot and mp system designed to rob money.

The most depressing thing about all this, is that a lot of people pay tons of money! There was a thread not long ago somewhere with a poll and a lot of the results were more than 1000 dollars!! WHY?! Everyone can do whatever they want with their money (as long as it doesn't harm others), but they are the biggest problem for this industry and the reason it sucks nowadays!.. And here I am complaining about a $70 game.

We don't have all the facts, and probably never will, but I could bet internet points (I don't have money), that Sony is not happy at all with their GaaS reception in general. You can argue that Helldivers was successful and whatnot, but I bet they were imagining they would be swimming in money like HoyoVerse by now. Those GaaS game were the reason their first party output is dry as a fossil right now, and people has been noticing because sales will start to slow down fast from now on.

I hope they correct their way for next gen, just like they steered away from Move because they know it wasn't what people wanted from PS. At least Nintendo is still giving us normal gaming experiences so far.

Last edited:

Holammer

If your gaming exclusively consists of [console of choice] exclusive Triple A walking simulators? Yes, there might be a bit of a problem.
Personally? I think we're in a golden age where smaller developers become bolder and deliver an incredible variety of games like we had in the PS2 era, with new fusions of genres. We get more games with a pixel-art aesthetic every year than we had during the entire PS1 era.

My GotY (if it releases this year) is being developed by ONE GUY doing everything and it's freakin' amazing. We've never had it better.

Guilty_AI

And I’m sorry, but I just don’t think indie studios are prepared to take up the mantle of making “professional-quality games”. I would love to believe there is space for “AA studios”, but nobody seems to really be competing in that space. Things either have astronomical budgets, or shoestring budgets, with nothing really in between.
Yeah... no. This isn't true at all. Besides, a lot of what people call "indie" these days are AA sized studios with AA budgeted games.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Gaming has been in a state of entropy since it started. Gaming as you know it coming to an end. It's just evolving faster than you are and you're aging out.

Wildebeest

Since '95 gaming slowly became worse in terms of corporations taking over and making product with huge budgets that just didn't feel like they had that spark of creativity and were just there to fill shelves and shift units to the masses. All hyped up by the big American online journalism outlets, which were simply awful compared to the fun magazine culture we had before, hating any good game and heavily promoting the video game equivalents of a soggy fast food hamburger. With the only positive thing I can say about them being that they had higher standards than blogs. I can't pretend that these business models failing makes me sad.

I agree with OP. I have been playing older games more and more lately.
Good, and this also aludes to the point that people in this thread are making. The rest of your post doesn’t matter because there are thousands of good older games if you want to continue living life as a retro gamer until you die.

Find your fun, and stick with it.

People waste so much time on the negative that they forget to actually enjoy the hobby.

We've a massive amount of varied games to play.
Price drops for many if you choose to wait.
Sub plans for those interested (me!) giving access to a massive library of games for relatively cheap price.
Still plenty of voices in media to discuss or watch on all things games.

There's issues for sure, and some things could always be better, but people need to get out of their own funk if all they see is pessimism or stop feasting on the doom'n'gloom slop people are selling.

wipeout364

I would agree that gaming is changing, but it always has. 2D to 3D, 3D eyesore graphics to improved good looking graphics, solo to solo with online components, physical media to digital only, solo with online to online focused, online focused to Gaas.

Things change, always have and always will but gaming is bigger now then it has been at anytime in history.

Nickolaidas

I don’t want to be negative nancy, but it honestly just feels like the entire Gaming landscape is falling apart. There’s virtually no gaming journalism left, the only news outlets covering games appear to be inundated with ads, AI generated articles, or both, and individual games are so expensive and “safe” that it leaves almost no room for anything unique.

And I’m sorry, but I just don’t think indie studios are prepared to take up the mantle of making “professional-quality games”. I would love to believe there is space for “AA studios”, but nobody seems to really be competing in that space. Things either have astronomical budgets, or shoestring budgets, with nothing really in between.

It just sort of feels like games are just becoming these throwaway products that aren’t even designed to entertain. There are almost no outlets willing or even able to call out major publishers or developers for shady business practices, and it’s effectively choking out a lot of the sense of gaming community that formed since the dawning of the internet at a part of our daily lives.

Just seems like we’re in a super depressing state of the industry, and I really don’t feel like we’re going to see a lot of “labors of love” over the next few years. Hell, even games that do well are seeing their devs dismantled.

Just seems like the industry is in a bit of a hopeless state.
The industry is bigger than it ever was. Gaming is no longer something that only nerds, geeks or little boys enjoy. The average target audience has expanded a lot, mainly because gaming is something a lot of people simply do not let go as they grow up. It's not like G.I.Joe action figures where you stop playing once you hit puberty (or sooner). As a result, the audience expanded. And as the audience expanded, so did the industry. Dev teams became publishers, publishers became companies, companies became corporations. Budgets got higher, and the games multiplied.

Like ...

a LOT.

There are a LOT of games right now - old, new, niche, mainstream - it's very difficult for a publisher/developer to make their game stand out to the gamer / consumer in order to ensure they'll make a profit.

And that's where marketing stopped being an afterthought and became one of the most important aspects of a video game. Games are no longer made based on an idea a developer has - games are now made based on what the marketing teams say that will sell. As a result, a lot of games which are being made are not the games the devs want to make. And THAT is what is harming the industry, because when you take risks and create something new, you have a chance of creating a trendsetter.

You get Street Fighter II and the fighting game genre is established globally. You get Doom, which established the FPS on the western market. Final Fantasy VII made the West aware of JRPGs and even had a few western devs attempt to mimic it. You get King's Quest and graphic adventures become a thing and then you make Day of the Tentacle and point and click adventure games became a thing. You get Dune II - The Battle of Arakis and the Real Time Strategy games were created. You get Resident Evil and the Survival Horror genre is established, and then you got Resident Evil 4 and the shoulder-view shooter became a thing. Game after game after game after game would take risks, which would mean failure, but could also mean a new genre, a new trendsetter.

Which was the last trendsetter? Demon's Souls creating the Soulslikes, and Dark Souls making it a thing? And when was that? Almost fifteen years ago? Can you grasp the notion that the last time we had a game which established a genre was 15 years ago, and that was because (based on what I've heard online) the stars were aligned in the most bizarre way possible? When an AAA game costs 50-200 millions to make today, how many chances can you get? How much can you afford to risk being a failure instead of the next trendsetter?

The industry has become overbloated with content and overblown budgets which are hurting creativity. Developers are no longer allowed to take risks, and those who do create games which look like they were six gaming generations ago. And I don't see that changing anytime soon, because video games are right now the #1 entertainment industry on the planet, but I think that slowly the bubble is beginning to burst. AAA games are flooding the market, indie games are flooding the market, there's just too much content with barely anything interesting to someone who was gaming for years. It's just ... too much.

I think there's just too many games who look the same, play the same, feel the same. Story tropes have been overused, level design is almost identical, the industry is slowly eating itself by turning what was once an eccentric little restaurant into a soul-less fast food company which is not interested in giving you a meal you'll remember for days to come, but just wants to take your money by giving you something which barely resembles food. 'Cause otherwise they'll be out of business.

But I am someone who has been gaming since '87. Younger people are probably a lot less cynical than me.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

There are way too many games to play and not enough time. I could stop playing games made in 2024 and onwards and still have more amazing games to play made in the last 30 years for the rest of my life.

Stop being so negative, OP, touch some grass, relax, figure out what genres you like and search for games in them. Look at 5th gen and onward. Great games don’t need to be made in 2024 either.

Nickolaidas

Times are just changing and going by recent threads, it seems like the average age of Gaf is 50+.

Just a bunch of oldies that are fading away as the core gaming demographic and who create echo-chambers on forums.
Yeah, but when your games cost 100 dollars on average, you *kinda* need those dinosaurs.

Yoboman

Devs and publishers may chase trends like microtransactions, handhelds, mobile games, MMOs, GAAS being the newest iteration - but will inevitably revert to what they are good at after failing

Killjoy-NL

Yeah, but when your games cost 100 dollars on average, you *kinda* need those dinosaurs.
Which games cost 100 dollars on average?

But sure, a business needs anyone who can spend money.
Doesn't change the fact that most people here are starting to fade away.

Soon, we're not the core audience anymore. Some already aren't.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

If your gaming exclusively consists of [console of choice] exclusive Triple A walking simulators? Yes, there might be a bit of a problem.
Personally? I think we're in a golden age where smaller developers become bolder and deliver an incredible variety of games like we had in the PS2 era, with new fusions of genres. We get more games with a pixel-art aesthetic every year than we had during the entire PS1 era.

My GotY (if it releases this year) is being developed by ONE GUY doing everything and it's freakin' amazing. We've never had it better.
ZWZMEyU.gif

Is it Supraworld because I can't fucking wait for that one-man show.

WoJ

I am guilty of feeling this way. But spending some time browsing Steam or the PS Store does wonders. There is tons of interesting stuff out there. But most of it isn't what we would call AAA.

I hate to be like "play indies", but that's where the interesting stuff is for the most part.

@ OP, Just take a break from gaming. Your probably just burnt out on games at the moment … this year alone I am looking forward to:

Star Wars Outlaws
AC Shadows
Astro Bot
Seller Blade - waiting for a sale to jump in
Black Myth
Metal Gear Solid Delta - hopefully it releases this year
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Space Marine 2

Things aren’t as bad as people are making it out to be. We just arent getting as many AAA games compared to previous gens. But in between releases just find something else to do or play older games you haven’t got around too.

00_Zer0

Buy Japanese = Win.
Case in point, I just logged onto PlayAsia and bought 2 physical Switch games for the price of one over hyped, under developed, and overpriced AAA game. I bought Mameda no Bakeru, a Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja spiritual successor from Good-Feel, and the sequel/remake of Shadow of the Ninja Reborn from Natsume Atari. I will also buy a digital version of this on Steam.

As a bonus note, I am a huge fan of the Japanese developed Rastan game by Taito, and I'll be buying Volgarr the Viking 2, and Abathor on Steam today.

There's too much goodness out there from all genres of games, from big and small publishers alike to even have time to play. OP needs to be awakened along with anybody else that agrees with him.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
OP is absolutely right. We're leaving stage 1 and entering stage 2. Old style games got us to this point but they're increasingly becoming irrelevant to the player.

00_Zer0

@ OP, Just take a break from gaming. Your probably just burnt out on games at the moment … this year alone I am looking forward to:

Star Wars Outlaws
AC Shadows
Astro Bot
Seller Blade - waiting for a sale to jump in
Black Myth
Metal Gear Solid Delta - hopefully it releases this year
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Space Marine 2

Things aren’t as bad as people are making it out to be. We just arent getting as many AAA games compared to previous gens. But in between releases just find something else to do or play older games you haven’t got around too.

Hell, even if I don't agree with everything on your list, you have an awesome outlook where the future of games/gaming is bright!

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

This is honestly the core issue with the community. Way too many people in the community are too closed minded to either seek out or try out games that lie outside of their familiar territory.

There's a wealth of indie and AA games out there that barely get any talk for better or worse. These should be the developers folks actively support instead of clinging to "monoliths" of the past who've practically gutted themselves. There are developers, indie and AA, who still express genuine desire, celebration and passion for the craft of video games.
I kind of share the same opinion although I am still disappointed in the gaming this generation. It kind of started when Japan Studios was shut down and made me realize people in general don't seek out more niche games with great quality. Despite supporting these games for over a decade, I have always felt like most of the gaming discussions fell towards the most mainstream AAA titles while they complained about how gaming is horrible. Anytime I would talk about AA or even smaller AAA titles, people would be quickly dismissive.

On the other hand, I think people are holding up every AA/indie game on a pedestal it doesn't necessarily deserve. A lot of the AA/indie space can fall into the same trend chasing and safe ideas of AAA games. When talking about AAA games, people conveniently leave out well received ones. The whole gaming discourse is a mess.

I am really enjoying Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. It is frustrating seeing all the hate towards the game despite the discourse about Ubisoft games being the same. It has a great developer with a great track record, has Gareth Choker (Ori composer) as one of the composers, is very gameplay oriented with a decently presented story, and has great reviews. I wonder how many gamers will buy something like Kunitsu Gami?

The general gamer is very apprehensive of new ideas. Everything is labeled under gimmick or strange.

Aenima

Games are pretty good, just need to focus more on the east cuz the west has been full of woketards making games for imaginary audiences. But im guessing at a certain point they will need to wake up and start making games for gamers again.

I do agree that proper game journalists nowadays are like unicorns. Most gaming sites are filled with blggers too busy trying to find something to be outraged about. And youtubers are not really a better solution compared to a proper gaming journalist. They either farming controversies for clicks, or being sponsored. Probably the best place nowadays to get unbieased gaming info is on forums. There are still a few good sites and youtubers out there too.

Supraworld looks great (land was awesome), but this is another project, I intend to make a thread/OT about it when it gets a date.
Supraland is a hidden gem. Or maybe just as far as console majority spaces are concerned. It's such a cool idea and fun as hell. Loved that game.

Mercador

It might be the end of super productions over 100M+ budget but I don't think it's the end of gaming. However, I notice that my daughter generation is playing less than older generations.

wvnative

Give me Metaphor, the final part of 7R, FF10R, FF17, Persona 6, 1-2 new Monolith Soft games, a 3rd NieR game and a sprinkling of other titles and I'll happily retire from gaming and enjoy the library of games over the past few decades into old age. 👴

Then the Fortnite/Roblox/Minecraft generation can inherit the ashes and charred remains of the industry and build the microtransaction / in game currency future of their dreams. ☠️

Spider Man Lol GIF

I think 10R was debunked

But yeah, plenty of good games if you ignore Activision/EA/Take-Two/Ubisoft

Top Bottom