• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It legit feels like we’re coming to the end of “Gaming” as it has existed the past 30+ years

Toons

Gaas - usually makes games shallow, repetitive, barebones and grindy

Woke - makes the stories vomit inducing.

These two things absolutely cause a decline in the industry. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Shallow games, grind games and all those other things were around before GAAS. Gaas is just a format, bringing the MMO style to home consoles. There have time its worked and times it hasn't. It has no bearing, on it own, on whether a game is good or not.

"Woke" is a meaningless buzzword used selectively without any real defining characteristics, much like you used it here. but both you and I know plenty of the games dubbed 'woke' have turned out just fine, if not excellent. See TLOU2, the Horizon games, Cyberpunk etc.

Again, these things factor in none of rhe things that actually make a game good. They arent a real argument they're a scapegoat.

Toons

Yeah, paying 120 bucks upfront to play what is basically unfinished beta versions of bland games which will be completed by the devs after 12-18 months (or maybe never) just proves how utterly spoiled and pessimistic those gamers have become. "Just eat the slop and sftu, you chuds!" Seriously, can't they appreciate the pinnacle of gaming that we have been witnessing for the last eight years?

People were using this strawman argument in 2014 too, if you're paying 120 bucks for a game thats on you. It's very much possible not to.

Everything else you said is just words you're putting in my mouth. There are plenty of solid, finished games coming out.

In the last eight years we've had some of the best games ever made come out, so yes this rings hollow as an attempt to ignore those.

Guilty_AI

Why not Overwatch? PUBG/Fortnite? Breath of The Wild? Baldur's Gate

None of these are games I either like or think do new things, but they set trends or at least made a design splash in the proposed conversation of it.
Being a trendsetter and doing something new are not synonymous.
PUBG/Fortnite maybe, but Breath of the Wild didn't really set much of a trend, very few actually tried copying it, and in a lot of cases they just copied the style rather than the game itself. If anything i'd argue its theoretical copycat, Genshi Impact, was one who had more of an impact, though its just an extension of gacha waifu games popularity.

Another problem with those is that in most cases it's just other companies trying to cash-in on something's popularity, rather than someone taking on an idea and refining it or giving it a different spin like it was the case with souls games, or roguelites, or boomer shooters, etc.

Baldurs Gate 3 is too early to tell.

hyperbertha

Shallow games, grind games and all those other things were around before GAAS. Gaas is just a format, bringing the MMO style to home consoles. There have time its worked and times it hasn't. It has no bearing, on it own, on whether a game is good or not.

"Woke" is a meaningless buzzword used selectively without any real defining characteristics, much like you used it here. but both you and I know plenty of the games dubbed 'woke' have turned out just fine, if not excellent. See TLOU2, the Horizon games, Cyberpunk etc.

Again, these things factor in none of rhe things that actually make a game good. They arent a real argument they're a scapegoat.
Gaas makes a shallow grindy game 5x likelier to come out. You don't seem to understand how probabilities and percentages work. The industry and s allocating more resources and time into a trash money milking genre.

Woke sweet baby games have made Spiderman 2's story unstomachable. It made saints row unstomachable. It made the withcer tv series unstomachable. These are just the recent examples. Cyberpunk isn't considered woke.

Guilty_AI

Woke and GAAS aren't 100% certain rules, but they are certainly massive red flags. It's also worth mentioning that it isn't uncommon to see these terms being misrepresented or overgeneralized by people trying to defend the very same things.

Having a gay character isn't woke, shoehorning a gay character in an obvious shallow attempt to garner good-boy points is. Similarly, when people refer to GAAS they often mean the bad practices that come with it or how it affects the game itself, not some vague definition like "the game gets regular updates".

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I agree with the OP, but at the same time as a few others have mentioned in the thread there are exceptions, and I personally think its largely a western gaming problem though it does affect other regions as well.

Bonfires Down has some nice recs for some indie fun, and I have a few to add. Finally indie devs are starting to move away from purely 2D sprite-based metroidvanias to give us other experiences, and projects like Echoes of the Living are great examples of that. Purely passion driven by a couple who are recreating our love of oldschool style Resident Evil with fixed camera angles and great backrounds. Its amongst my most anticipated.

I do think much of A-tier gaming has been handicapped by its own arbitrary rules and design by comitee corpo structure. On one hand so many people are required to achieve certain ideas of visual fidelity that it dilutes the focus of a smaller team such as those that pioneered the old days. It less "that was a cool game or idea! Let's try this or that instead!" and now much more dominated by 9-5 single skilled workers. Indies help alleviate this at some cost of course, but when they shine they do so far brighter and harken back to the multitalented genius of yesteryear.

The other problem too in my book, is that unlike say growing with its audience and appealing to many who are now adults, they are too scared to make games for this audience despite wishing they were considered high art. So there are very few games save for the adult market that appeal to both adult tastes and possess the gameplay chops to boot. So there is very little in the way of exploitation niche stuff that reaches the height or even middling affairs of cinema past, or novels for that matter which is a crying shame. In fact its been so dire for my tastes that I went and spent upwards of 16k on building a movie and TV show collection since the fall of last year and am still doing so. Purely physical mind so that elevated things. But man I just want entertainment that doesn't get preachy or condescend to me, can tell an entertaining story of which I don't care how rediculous it is, and put in some artistic shots, a plot twist or two and let my woman and I admire the human form in its natural splendor, both sexes we don't mind.

Limiting themselves so much to copycat filler hoping to chase trends and satiate shareholders instead of the consumer and themselves has been detrimental overall. So many wish they were making movies but seem too afraid to cross certain boundries, save for the likes of TLOU2 which while bothering me in some ways did provide much of what I am asking for. I don't even need the gfx to be mind-blowing from thousand man teams. I dig the retro stylized stuff of early 3D with a new coat of paint. I know many don't but them's the breaks.

I think with looming world recessions and such the market might indeed fracture, but with more focused markets able to perhaps thrive with modern tech allowing greater access to supporting developers more directly, but how it plays out and where it ends up is anybody's guess. I do have my own inklings on where it could diverge, but is another tale to be told another time.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
PUBG/Fortnite maybe, but Breath of the Wild didn't really set much of a trend, very few actually tried copying it, and in a lot of cases they just copied the style rather than the game itself. If anything i'd argue its theoretical copycat, Genshi Impact, was one who had more of an impact, though its just an extension of gacha waifu games popularity.
I agree, but I did say "or make a splash for the conversation of having done something that people hope is a trend". "Exemplary" on false pretenses or otherwise.

You probably couldn't actually get away with copying BoTW's "formula" and not being Zelda without people calling the game shit.

Another problem with those is that in most cases it's just other companies trying to cash-in on something's popularity, rather than someone taking on an idea and refining it or giving it a different spin like it was the case with souls games, or roguelites, or boomer shooters, etc.
Exactly. So one has to ask what the value of "trendsetting" is.

Baldurs Gate 3 is too early to tell.
Baldur's Gate 3 won't set a trend. CRPGs already existed and still come our semi-frequently today. The distinguishing factors for BG3 are the production values and the IP, things 99% of devs in the CRPG space cannot replicate. It was not innovative in any real way. It was just high budget.

Flintlock, Dungeons of Hinterberg, Kunitsu-Gami, CYGNI all dropped just within the last 30 days. All new IP, all great AA games, all priced less than full price. And that's not even counting the numerous cheaper indies, and this is just 4 weeks.
All a bunch of games that few people will play or care about, stuffing up storefronts.

We're supposedly getting Hyper Light Breaker this year.

We definitely are well into the era of 3D indies on par with PS3 / PS4 stuff. Their last game from 2021 is fantastic, Solar Ash.

This is western gaming, American indie team putting out stuff that looks like Gravity Rush.
Respectfully, no one fucking bought either Gravity Rush game. It's irrelevant, and not what people in this thread mean by "filling the void". Copying sub ~1 million sales games from aesthetics to mechanics is not adding anything.

Ok let's get this out of the way first - that's not what 'AAA' ever stood for (and it certainly isn't what company PR ever used it for). It represented high-production values / blockbuster budgets (in large part, a reflection of industry's continued obsession with hollywood, but admittedly, it grew beyond that since term's inception).
Dude, you're splitting hairs to see a difference that I haven't made. I do mean production values when I say "the higher end of what the industry can produce". What else do you think I'm talking about?
And obviously, these higher production value games only get those production values because the intent/likelihood is that they will be successful to the higher degree of what a game can be.

That is in stark contrast to R* spending 500M - 1B on their next game while the average indie competitor is quite literally working with 100x+ less. And this delta was just as pronounced in the 00s - a 10M$ AAA was relative to 100k$ budget productions on the other end of the scale. The absolute numbers grew - but the relative deltas were already there.
I don't see the point that you're trying to make here. AAA games and the distinction between indies (which obviously barely existed until the late 2000s) changes over time, yes.

And not all AAA games are equal in budget. They never were. TLOU2 cost 230 million to make and market, around the same as what GTA5 cost and more than double what TLOU1 cost 7 years prior, and less than half of what GTA6 will cost 5 years later. Spider-Man 2 cost 200 million to develop (they spent 100 million on licensing) 2 years prior to GTA6, but is still AAA. Most AAA games 5 years from now won't match the cost of GTA6.

Yes in 2001. ICO was built on that sub 1M budget - like many similar scoped games of the time. I didn't compare it to Dark Cloud by accident - both were new IPs backed by major publishers, both had a core team of about 5-10 people, and both made their money back at 100k sales, so they never needed to compete with 'AAA's of the time for mindshare.
There's no evidence of almost any of that. Ico took 3 years of development and was originally supposed to be a PS1 game - so technically advanced and AAA that they had to move onto the PS2.
There's nothing about Dark Cloud or Ico having made its money back at 100k sales, in fact at many times that number, it's all but said that they were/are weak. Coming from the game's own creator.

There's no way that either game was made with just 5-10 people. But even at 20, that would be, at the time, not unusual for larger games. Deus Ex was made by ~20.

Early 00s had multi-million sales ambitions for big IPs (with top end going towards 10M). AAs simply didn't aim for that, just like they don't aim for 10-100M range today. Doesn't mean it never happens though (see Helldivers 2).
For 90s-2000s games, 10 million was an infrequent lifetime milestone for cultural icons. I mean, FF7 and the first Sonic game sit at ~15 million today. Around 30 years after release, with dozens of ports of re-releases between them. Don't know where you're getting any of this from.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You don’t see me making threads about gaming suck now , blah, blah, blah.

I play my games and talk about the games I’m excited about in GAF.
maury-well.gif

Guilty_AI

I agree, but I did say "or make a splash for the conversation of having done something that people hope is a trend". "Exemplary" on false pretenses or otherwise.

You probably couldn't actually get away with copying BoTW's "formula" and not being Zelda without people calling the game shit.

Exactly. So one has to ask what the value of "trendsetting" is.
I see. But i should say i mentioned Factorio before not because it did new things but because it did, in fact, set a trend.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No, it isn't. It's just stuff that appeals to your biases, and you get to hide behind the word "creativity" because people think low budget/not currently main of mainstream is "creative". That word does not have a relative meaning.
No, it is creativity. There's way more genre representation in indies compared to AAA. You literally cannot disprove this even if you had the knowledge about indies you claim you do

Last edited:
Most you guys are free to sit your ass and complain and be miserable, if thats more fun than actually playing games then more power to you.

Rest of us going enjoying playing and be excited for upcoming games.
It's possible to criticize, point out flaws, etc, etc. without being miserable or anything near that. I can't be certain but, I don't think anyone here is actually miserable.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's possible to criticize, point out flaws, etc, etc. without being miserable or anything near that. I can't be certain but, I don't think anyone here is actually miserable.
How many threads do we get about "oh gaming sucks now", I'm not saying dont criticize but people need to stop with this exaggerated doom and gloom shit.

Humdinger

How many threads do we get about "oh gaming sucks now", I'm not saying dont criticize but people need to stop with this exaggerated doom and gloom shit.

I see the same doom & gloom in multiple sectors. "Young people have no future." "The country is going down the toilet." "No one is having babies anymore, we're doomed." "The economy is on the brink of collapse." And so forth. I'm not denying that there are problems in these area, but the doom and gloom is a common theme.

I think part of it comes from the nature of news. News (including gaming news) brings us almost only negative stories, stories about things going wrong. We don't hear about things going smoothly or well, because that's not news; it's not interesting. Our "negativity bias" seeps in, too. We pay selective attention to what's going wrong, and we underestimate what's going okay.

Gaming forums are basically an extension of gaming news - that's most of what we discuss - and the same dynamics operate. We hear and discuss mostly the bad stuff, and we are drawn to it. It's no surprise that some people get bummed out about the state of gaming.

If that's becoming your outlook, I would recommend taking a time-out from gaming forums and gaming news for a while - weeks or months. I predict your doom and gloom will remit. One of the best times I had gaming in the past 10 years was when I completely unplugged from gaming forums for about 9 months. (I probably need to take my own advice again, heh).

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Been basking in the light of the 6th gen for weeks. It really was the last penultimate time for artistic freedom with little to no worries about public reception or complaints. It just didn’t exist aside from Rockstar's output, and yet, Rockstar to me is one of the devs primarily responsible for breaking down that door that gen.

Toons

Gaas makes a shallow grindy game 5x likelier to come out. .

But it doesn't make a bad or a good game more likely to come out. Theres no percentages to be discussed here that you aren't making up. You're not actually discussing any of the things that make a game good. I mean what do you even define as a good game. Because a game can have none of those things you listed but still be bad because its too woke for you. Your entire metric for considering games is skewed by personal bias and preferences that do not actually impact a games quality as a GAME.

Woke sweet baby games have made Spiderman 2's story unstomachable. It made saints row unstomachable. It made the withcer tv series unstomachable. These are just the recent examples. Cyberpunk isn't considered woke.

Yea, that spidey game that everyone definitely hated. Sure. Witcher was "woke" from day 1, and the source material has plenty of those elements too.

Cyberpunk has more """woke""" stuff than either of those other examples, so why isn't it considered woke then? Could it be because it is a selectively chosen buzzword that defines nothing but is used to define everything?

Toons

Woke and GAAS aren't 100% certain rules, but they are certainly massive red flags. It's also worth mentioning that it isn't uncommon to see these terms being misrepresented or overgeneralized by people trying to defend the very same things.

Having a gay character isn't woke, shoehorning a gay character in an obvious shallow attempt to garner good-boy points is.

Every gay character put in media gers accused of this regardless of the circumstances, and the "woke" mother isnt used consistency but selectively. Case in point, how that other guy says cyberpunk isn't considered woke despite featuring multiple lgbt relationship paths, trans characters, gay characters, a literal in game gay bar and a general anticapitalist message, but spider man 2 which has 1 major bi character and like 1 side quest involving a gay guy, is considered woke.

Its not shoehorn or not shoehorned, its whatever the person saying it doesn't like. And whatever one person doesn't like, doesn't have bearings on the things that actually make a game good.

Bottom line: those are not the things causing any perceived decline in gaming, because neither of those things define what is a good game. It just defines whether or not you personally may enjoy it. Its a scapegoat, not a legitimate discussion point.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Well, I don't think Demon’s Souls is a new genre,
HeqQ0hS.jpeg

People were using this strawman argument in 2014 too, if you're paying 120 bucks for a game thats on you. It's very much possible not to.
"If you want to buy the whole game for 120 bucks and can't afford to wait 1-2 years for it to drop to a reasonable price or get the game with missing content, that's your problem, not the devs'."

Thanks for the pearl of wisdom, Sherlock. My point was that back when games weren't made with overblown budgets, the complete game cost 50-60$. No DLCs, no microtransactions, just the OCCASIONAL expansion pack for a fighting game or the latest Elder Scrolls game. Now, if you want the FULL game and if you want to buy the game day 1, you need to pay double, and STILL have to deal with MTXs, while back then you would get skins, characters and shit, you know, FOR FREE? By playing the damn game?

I am not questioning whether or not I have the option, that's a stupid argument. I am questioning that buying 100% of a game, day one, is a LOT more expensive today. And you don't even get the 100% day one - you get half the game, and STILL have to wait for the content to be made.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Every gay character put in media gers accused of this regardless of the circumstances, and the "woke" mother isnt used consistency but selectively. Case in point, how that other guy says cyberpunk isn't considered woke despite featuring multiple lgbt relationship paths, trans characters, gay characters, a literal in game gay bar and a general anticapitalist message, but spider man 2 which has 1 major bi character and like 1 side quest involving a gay guy, is considered woke.

Its not shoehorn or not shoehorned, its whatever the person saying it doesn't like. And whatever one person doesn't like, doesn't have bearings on the things that actually make a game good.

Bottom line: those are not the things causing any perceived decline in gaming, because neither of those things define what is a good game. It just defines whether or not you personally may enjoy it. Its a scapegoat, not a legitimate discussion point.
No they don't. Case in point, CP77 isn't treated as woke but SM2 is, since the later very obviously does it for brownie points and in the former it feels natural.

Now you can stop trying to gaslight people on DEI not being a thing that companies push. We all know they do by now, and there's extensive proof of that.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

No they don't. Case in point, CP77 isn't treated as woke but SM2 is, since the later very obviously does it for brownie points and in the former it feels natural.

Now you can stop trying to gaslighting people on DEI not being a thing that companies push. We all know they do by now, and there's extensive proof of that.
This. Do people really still pretend this isn't a thing? Do they not watch developer videos and announcements?

Nickolaidas

Lol go ahead. Explain
Open world mechanics were a thing long before Ubisoft games - heck, if anything, they are inspired by the Elder Scrolls games who had landmarks and exploration mechanics way before Assassin's Creed. Now, due to Ubisoft making an Ass Creed game every like, 4 months, made them more prevalent to the casuals' eyes, but they are hardly the ones who made the formula. Also, exploring a map and finding buildings and landmarks isn't so much a game mechanic as it is something which comes with open-world gameplay. It's not the same with FROM's Souls games, where they introduced a unique experience/punish/reward/currency system which I don't know if it was ever used before (a global currency which is used both for leveling up your character but also for buying items, gear and spells, running the risk of losing the amount you are holding when dying but giving you the option to retrieve said amount, creating an intricate way of making the player alert to every encounter - yes, you could make the argument it's taking inspiration from roguelikes, but the implementation is quite different since you do not lose your game progress or levels upon death, nor your items, you just lose the currency you were holding. Also, the gameplay is quite different than most roguelikes due to it being very easy to learn and very hard to master.

TLDR: Exploring landmarks isn't something that Ubisoft created or established, therefore it's not worthy of being added in a 'tag'. The Souls games mechanics however, define the entire nature of the game, were the pioneers of this mechanic, so they are more than worthy of the tag.

Open world mechanics were a thing long before Ubisoft games - heck, if anything, they are inspired by the Elder Scrolls games who had landmarks and exploration mechanics way before Assassin's Creed. Now, due to Ubisoft making an Ass Creed game every like, 4 months, made them more prevalent to the casuals' eyes, but they are hardly the ones who made the formula. Also, exploring a map and finding buildings and landmarks isn't so much a game mechanic as it is something which comes with open-world gameplay. It's not the same with FROM's Souls games, where they introduced a unique experience/punish/reward/currency system which I don't know if it was ever used before (a global currency which is used both for leveling up your character but also for buying items, gear and spells, running the risk of losing the amount you are holding when dying but giving you the option to retrieve said amount, creating an intricate way of making the player alert to every encounter - yes, you could make the argument it's taking inspiration from roguelikes, but the implementation is quite different since you do not lose your game progress or levels upon death, nor your items, you just lose the currency you were holding. Also, the gameplay is quite different than most roguelikes due to it being very easy to learn and very hard to master.

TLDR: Exploring landmarks isn't something that Ubisoft created or established, therefore it's not worthy of being added in a 'tag'. The Souls games mechanics however, define the entire nature of the game, were the pioneers of this mechanic, so they are more than worthy of the tag.

You've conviently ignored all the things that people shit on as ubisoft style open world mechanics. Ubisoft introducted towers. They introduced the slog of question mark POI on a map. They introduced the repetitive clear the camp style missions. The whole gameplay loops revolve around these. This is no different to what you're giving credit to from for with the souls games. The only difference is you like the latter more than the former

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Ubisoft introducted towers.
It's hardly something which defines what the game is going to be and how it's going to play like. That's like saying that all games which press the back button to open the map screen are based on the first game which had such a function.
They introduced the slog of question mark POI on a map.
Didn't MMOs start that?
They introduced the repetitive clear the camp style missions.
Pretty sure that the 'Go to X, kill Y' has been a thing before Ubi games.
The whole gameplay loops revolve around these.
If there is one thing I can give credit to Ubisoft, it's the fact that they made these features completely bland and boring.
This is no different to what you're giving credit to from for with the souls games. The only difference is you like the latter more than the former
No, the difference is that you compare the quest and map mechanics of the UBI games, which is something completely superficial, to the core gameplay formula of the Souls games. Take out the question marks from the NPC questgivers and the UBI game stays exactly the same. Take out the punish/reward system of Dark Souls and you get a completely different game.

It's hardly something which defines what the game is going to be and how it's going to play like. That's like saying that all games which press the back button to open the map screen are based on the first game which had such a function.

Yes, it does. Otherwise the term wouldn't have been coined in the first place.

Didn't MMOs start that?

Lol no.

Pretty sure that the 'Go to X, kill Y' has been a thing before Ubi games.

Not the way Ubisoft has implemented it.

If there is one thing I can give credit to Ubisoft, it's the fact that they made these features completely bland and boring.

No, the difference is that you compare the quest and map mechanics of the UBI games, which is something completely superficial, to the core gameplay formula of the Souls games. Take out the question marks from the NPC questgivers and the UBI game stays exactly the same. Take out the punish/reward system of Dark Souls and you get a completely different game.

Your opinion of whether something is superficial or not is irrelevent. These are core mechanics that make an Ubisoft open world game an ubisoft open world game and define its content loop.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Yes, it does. Otherwise the term wouldn't have been coined in the first place.
What term? I've never heard of a game called a 'UBI-like', but I have heard of the term 'Souls-like'.

coGKE8u.jpeg

kBETnGi.jpeg

bkDiYz1.jpeg

Not the way Ubisoft has implemented it.
Which way is that? Respawning enemies in lairs or the wilds? Because games like Borderlands have been doing that since 2009, and I don't remember Assassin's Creed having such mechanics and quest missions back in 2007.

What term? I've never heard of a game called a 'UBI-like', but I have heard of the term 'Souls-like'.

People constantly use ubisoft style open world as a derogatory term for games like Horizon Zero Dawn. Yes it's a thing

1. Does that look like a world map with hundreds of POI icons to you?

2. Don't use a 2022 version of WoW to prove a point

Which way is that? Respawning enemies in lairs or the wilds? Because games like Borderlands have been doing that since 2009, and I don't remember Assassin's Creed having such mechanics and quest missions back in 2007.

Good lord you're just being purposely obtuse now. Borderlands games don't have copy and pasted enemy camps littered on the map as a checklist based exercises

Last edited:

Bond007

I can agree with alot of what OP is saying- since i am 39yrs old and at this point feel like i seen it all.
The traditional format we are used to is gone obviously.

From magazines, reviews, development times, down to the games themselves. Times obviously change. Its not all doom and gloom obviously and I dont think the industry is collapsing or anything. It's just def worse than how it was - its more mainstream and Hollywood now that it ever was.

Nickolaidas

People constantly use ubisoft style open world as a derogatory term for games like Horizon Zero Dawn. Yes it's a thing

1. Does that look like a world map with hundreds of POI icons to you?

2. Don't use a 2022 version of WoW to prove a point

Good lord you're just being purposely obtuse now. Borderlands games don't have copy and pasted enemy camps littered on the map as a checklist based exercises
What I am trying to explain to you is that all these mechanics (Questgivers with an "!" on the map, respawning enemy groups in lairs and the world map ad infinitum) were a thing before Ubisoft. Ubisoft didn't create any of those except the 'tower map unlock' thingie. So while they should take pride in overbloating the formula with too much content to the point of pure tediousness, they didn't create those mechanics. Which is why you don't see a Ubisoft-like tag on Steam. It's not a genre.

In Souls terms, a Ubisoft Souls game would be the player losing not only the XP that they are carying, but five levels as well, or three pieces of equipment. It's not like they are reinventing the wheel, they simply take game formulas other games had and dial them up to eleven. "Oh, we're not going to have five questgivers in a settlement, we're going to have fifty!" Hardly a reason to define them as a genre.

Sure, you can say that Horizon did its best to be as tedious as Assassin's Creed Valhalla by marking so many things on the map you can barely see the damn thing anymore, but aside from giving you 10,000 things to see on the map, Horizon is more similar to the Last of Us with its crouch/stealth/takedowns or the Arkham games with its 'quest detective mode' than it is with say, Far Cry 6.

But when you look at Lords of the Fallen, or Nioh, or The Surge, or Mortal Shell, you more or less play a Souls game with a slightly different twist in the gameplay. Which is why Souls-like is a legit tag, while Ubisoft-whatever can only apply its similarities on the world map or the quest system. But the WAY you get quests and missions does not define the genre of the game. Which is why it is indeed, a superficial trait.

Top Bottom