• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: Microsoft and Activision have formed a new team within Blizzard to work on smaller 'AA' games based on existing IP

Draugoth

Gold Member
AYU4q594LJ0-HD.jpg

From Windows Central: Microsoft and Activision have formed a new team within Blizzard to work on smaller 'AA' games based on existing IP | Windows Central

Our sources indicate that Microsoft and Activision have approved the creation of a new team within its Blizzard subsidiary, comprised mostly with employees from King. Blizzard is known for beloved franchises like Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Overwatch, and Microsoft is keen to curate and serve these franchises more prolifically than Activision itself did previously. Military sci-fi strategy series StarCraft for example has essentially been on mothballs since StarCraft Remastered in 2017, and Xbox CEO Phil Spencer himself has name checked StarCraft during interviews about the acquisition in recent years. Still, you need teams to work on these classic franchises, and that's exactly what Microsoft is gearing up to do.

To that end, we're told Microsoft and Activision's new team within Blizzard is tasked to work on "AA" smaller games based on existing franchises within the Blizzard universes. Given King's mobile expertise, it's possible that these will be mobile games aimed to support Xbox's planned mobile gaming store for iOS and Android — although we're not entirely sure that they'll be restricted specifically to mobile. Given Microsoft's platform agnostic strategy across mobile, PC, and console, it's entirely possible that any fresh projects could run across platforms. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella recently described how it wants Xbox to focus on a three-pronged gaming approach across those endpoints, with Xbox console at its core.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
“Given King's mobile expertise, it's possible that these will be mobile games aimed to support Xbox's planned mobile gaming store for iOS and Android“

Day Valentine GIF
Doom, Halo and COD all working together to defeat the witch.

MrRibeye

I was really excited about Warcraft Rumble, played it for dozens of hours, leveled up my units, opened a guild, did the dungeons, but they should have designed it like the 2014 version of Hearthstone with very generous progression and "card dusting" systems to keep people hooked and later sell expansions to make money. Unfortunately Rumble is designed to be as P2W as possible, and I don't throw that accusation around easily.

I knew this as soon as they focused on Gamepass.

In order to put everything on GP, they will just stop making AAA games.
Fine by me though, AA are better and safer than blockbusters 250M$ games.

Been hearing this since day one on GamePass was announced years and years ago. One day it will happen, I believe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I knew this as soon as they focused on Gamepass.

In order to put everything on GP, they will just stop making AAA games.
Fine by me though, AA are better and safer than blockbusters 250M$ games.

It's almost like you didn't even read past the topic title.

Almost.

StueyDuck

Mr jezzy doodoos sources... so there's like a 5% chance of anything being said bring true.

Any actual people reporting on this

elmos-acc

I mean this in a nicest way possible:

Is there any reason to care about Jez Corden? Even if he still finds himself employed for some publication, are his articles click-worthy?

Top Bottom