• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

llehuty

Topp Dogg - Arario (Teaser)
Hanbok concept? Someone reading k-pop gaf? Also, this group is being very consistent with their releases, although I think their pre debut mixtapes were more interesting.

tumblr_n0ezssDjAG1sj211go1_1280.jpg

catmincer

With those groups, for 6 tiers and by order, should be:

1st tier - SNSD,
2nd tier - 2NE1, f(x),
2nd tier - SISTAR, A Pink, Girl's Day, KARA*
3rd tier - T-ara, 4Minute, Miss A, Crayon Pop
4th tier - Wonder Girls*, Brown Eyed Girls, After School, Secret, Dal Shabet, Nine Muses
5th tier - Rainbow, AOA, Ladies' Code
6th tier - Hello Venus, BESTie

*does not exists anymore, sort of, not sure where to put them.

Mostly agree but

I'd swap A-Pink with 4Minute. What's your name was one of the best selling songs of 2013. 2Yoon did reasonably well and then there's Troublemake (Hyuna) plus 4Minute have consistently been successful with their singles. NoNoNo was a success but will it be replicated?

Crayon Pop was a one off hit, their other songs did not do remotely as well and it's uncertain they will in the future. They should be on tier 4.

BEG should be tier 3, Gain does really well solo, and Jea didn't flop surprisingly.

Nine muses shouldn't be on 4, even with loads of promotion, they're still not hitting the top 20. That's not good at all. If I am going to be a real bitch, I'd even say Rainbow should be higher, Cha Cha did better than the latest 9Muses song.

Mine would be

1st tier - SNSD,
2nd tier - 2NE1, f(x),SISTAR
2nd tier - 4Minute, , Girl's Day, KARA*
3rd tier - T-ara,A Pink , Miss A, , Brown Eyed Girls
4th tier - Wonder Girls*, After School, Secret, Dal Shabet, Crayon Pop, Rainbow
5th tier - AOA, Ladies' Code, Nine Muses

luso

With those groups, for 6 tiers and by order, should be:

Top - SNSD,
1st tier - 2NE1, f(x),
2nd tier - SISTAR, A Pink, Girl's Day, KARA*
3rd tier - T-ara, 4Minute, Miss A, Crayon Pop
4th tier - Wonder Girls*, Brown Eyed Girls, After School, Secret, Dal Shabet, Nine Muses
5th tier - Rainbow, AOA, Ladies' Code

*does not exists anymore, sort of, not sure where to put them.
Forgot to change tiers numbering, fixed.
I tried to use only the groups ranking without solos or subunits, as well 2014 projection, maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway, where is that 2013 poll?

catmincer

Not that it's going to impact your ranking, but just on this, 2 of Nine Muses' 4 songs last year did get top 20.

Oh yeah, Gun and Dolls. I still think it's disappointing for them though, they do so much promotion and get nowhere really. :( I like them too.

Papa YG interview;

- What has changed in the Korean Pop, since the time you were ‘Seotaeji and Boys?’

▶ It’s completely changed. Wish I could be more descriptive. Seotaeji and Boys tried entering the Japanese market, but at the time it was culturally impossible. But the market’s absolutely changed. Park Jin Young made a bold attempt at entering Wonder Girls into the American market, while I did with Se7en, and SM did with Boa. And YouTube helped, too. It aided artists like BIGBANG and PSY become popular among Asian fans residing in the States.

- What if Seotaeji and Boys made a debut now? What would be different?

▶Different times require different artists. Our time back then needed Seotaeji and Boys. I can’t say with a 100% assurance, but I think the current time needs BIGBANG.

- We can’t leave out PSY when it comes to YG.

▶What I am grateful for is that since PSY rose to global stardom, various record companies and agencies became interested in YG. Many offer to work with us. These are the people who we couldn’t meet even if we desperately wanted to. But they are the ones coming to YG. It’s completely different to when Se7en was trying to sell in the U.S. There are so many opportunities, and now we are a partner of those agencies and companies.

- PSY must be under a lot of pressure as his comeback day approaches.

▶ True. At the last concert, he said, “The global-hit ‘Gangnam Style’ took 10 years to overtake the popularity level of ‘Champion’.” As ‘Gangnam Style’ was such a huge hit, people now simply compare the follow-up ‘Gentleman’ with it. ‘Gentleman’ also attracted the highest number of viewers last year, and he did his best. I ask PSY to “slow down.” Because ‘Gangnam Style’ became instantly popular, there was much pressure for preparing ‘Gentleman,’ and we were in a rush. At the moment the album preparation is almost ready, but we tell ourselves to slow down and look over it again before release.

- Any plans for overseas market penetration?

▶The U.S. pays much attention to Asian female artists. PSY didn’t become popular because he’s handsome (laughter). America’s the land of hip-hop, but there isn’t a famous Asian female rapper. So CL from 2NE1 could sell in the U.S.

-What are your plans this year as a producer?

▶Now is the time with most opportunities for the K-Pop market. Seotaeji and Boys would not have dreamt of it. New artists like BIGBANG, 2NE1, and PSY chose YG, and I was the chosen one. They are betting their lives on YG, so it’s my responsibility to bring them success. I am going to do everything in my power as a producer to help them succeed.

- YG is expanding to actor management as well?

▶ I’m actually not familiar with the acting part. But the company is now listed, and is becoming a proper organization. So we are expanding our field. China will be an enormous market for us. Drama takes a huge part in K-Wave, let alone music. So we can expand K-Wave much further and wider. We are strengthening our actor base, and are making an organization around it.

- What is the music YG pursues?

▶I like “artists” that stand out. There are no groups in the world other than BIGBANG who does hip-hop and solos. We discovered LEE HI and AKDONG MUSICIAN in K-Pop Star seasons 1 and 2 respectively. They’re preparing album releases. These two really stood out in the crowd. There’s no other like them, so they’re perfect for YG. If we were to produce another boy group, they have to be different from BIGBANG. 2nd and 3rd BIGBANGs will not work.

- You seem very fond of K-Pop Star.

▶Being a judge on the show takes up a lot of time. There are lots of artists under the care of YG, and I also need to appear on TV. K-Pop trainees around the world watch the show enthusiastically. People like me, who’s already been there done that, hopefully will be helpful to these trainees who want to be K-Pop artists.

- Heard you became a ‘morning person’ from New Year ‘s Day?

▶That’s right. I had to stay up until 4 am as I was at BIGBANG concert’s after party. But I woke up at 9 am. I didn’t sleep much. This year is a turning point for YG. PSY and BIGBANG make a long-awaited comeback, and 4 new groups make a debut. YG takes time creating contents. We take it seriously. Fans don’t believe 4 groups are making a debut. They think we’re lying (laughter). I don’t know if it’s because it’s only January, but we are more determined than ever. Our producers are under much producer and we’re cheering them on. We have 4 recording rooms, and we’re building 2 extra. We want to make YG a music power station.

- How’s your marriage life?

▶I am lucky to be married to my wife. We get along really well. In the last 5 years of our marriage, we never fought or argued, like many other couples do.

- Do you like your wife or your daughter better?

▶(hesitant) Hmm… It’s 50:50. I think if I name one, the other would be upset. But my wife comes first (laughter).

- What is your philosophy?

▶ That is the most difficult question. I feel it’s more important to avoid things you don’t like, than doing things you like. YG’s power comes from doing things we love. I am a friend to BIGBANG, and I don’t force them to do things. We don’t do music for money. It’s not what we want to do. ‘Gangnam Style’ was created under pure will. Nothing forced. The public loves it when we love it. If you say “I love you” and not mean it, the person hearing it will know.

No No Eul

OMG this food lovers anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnCAj6ssJj8

Rookies of 2014

I like that. I like that a lot.

Woohee:

2EYES' Dasom:

I've lost track of which Soshi Instagram Q&As have been posted here but Yuri's done two recently and Sunny did another a few days ago.

If anyone's interested in watching fancams of Miss A's recent showcase in Hong Kong, this dude has got you covered.

Go Ara said:

Sojin and Yura said:

Seungah said:

BESTie (the bananas are Hyeyeon's doing) said:

BESTie performing Coming of Age Ceremony

Jisoo(k) said:

Gyuri said:

Pendulum

Gain's album is decent. It's got a smooth body with a sharp aroma of sex, giving a smoky lounge bar aftertaste. Without hearing it on the behind-the-scenes video, I would have picked that Hyori produced track from a mile away.

neoism

just watched the last ep of PM&I ..... :*(

I will miss Yoona... love her on screen... hope she keeps acting..

Fafnir

just watched the last ep of PM&I ..... :*(

I will miss Yoona... love her on screen... hope she keeps acting..

How was the ending? I watched the first 2 episodes and was like nope. Thinking about watching the last 2 episodes to see how it turns out. Why is she always riding a moped in these wacky dramas?
f3Q2o.gif

Yoona and Seunggi should do Noonas Over Flowers 2 together. That would be a ratings spectacular. The hottest dating couple going on a trip together with sunbae actresses giving them advice, make it happen tvN.

The Invincible Youth episode where Hyuna, Sunny, and Yuri leave....oh man ;_;

All downhill after that. SM was smart to pull out SunYul at the peak of popularity, but has me wondering if it was because SunYul left that the show got stale or that the writers were running out of ideas for the show as there's only so much you can do on a farm.

neoism

How was the ending? I watched the first 2 episodes and was like nope. Thinking about watching the last 2 episodes to see how it turns out. Why is she always riding a moped in these wacky dramas?
f3Q2o.gif

Yoona and Seunggi should do Noonas Over Flowers 2 together. That would be a ratings spectacular. The hottest dating couple going on a trip together with sunbae actresses giving them advice, make it happen tvN.

All downhill after that. SM was smart to pull out SunYul at the peak of popularity, but has me wondering if it was because SunYul left that the show got stale or that the writers were running out of ideas for the show as there's only so much you can do on a farm.

Um good and bad... Does Korean people mostly use the word like and love as the same? If so that is really annoying, but it was more than likely the subbing...
she stops using the moped like after ep 4...
Also Motherfucking
KISS HER goddamn it
:/
It was still a good series and concluded nicely...but still your married to Yoona
and you don't have sex with her.. o_O WTF
nonetheless I'm a much bigger fan of Yoona now.. <3 her
shes got black hair again.
tumblr_n0iuh4DLil1sewbc1o1_500.jpg
<3
cant fucking wait for the comeback but REALLY glad Tae is getting a solo stage

neoism

dis pic...
megustabishieplz.png

I still think it will be late feb or the first week of March...

Poor Taeyeon's Voice...
her schedule
10 "Taeyeon & Jonghyun - Breathe" release
12 "Taeyeon - Set Me Free" release
12 Joint Recital
13 Mnet MCountdown
14 KBS Music Bank
15 SNSD's concert in Macau
16 SBS Inkigayo
20 Mnet MCountdown
21 KBS Music Bank
22 MBC Music Core
23 SBS Inkigayo

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I just saw them on M Countdown. Janey is back with them, so that leaves D-Unit with two members?

luso

I still remember all the talk because GP Basic debuting some 11 -yo.
This song is hugh... woob woob

Lol this news, of course it would be this month after the Olympics, funny how they say 3rd-4th week, automatically saying half a month, I could say that myself.
Anyway
tumblr_mfqolhIqGW1rjucgco1_500.jpg

Well, not exactly only smart, more they had to do it, Japan debut was about to kick-off.

tumblr_n0kj7iTIOZ1riqyiio1_1280.jpg

No No Eul

Those fine journalists at Sports Chosun have put their "2014 girl group ranking" together. I bet you were waiting all January for it.
tumblr_n0gd7j3xl61qkljdfo1_500.jpg

1st tier - SNSD, SISTAR, 2NE1
2nd tier - f(x), Girl's Day
3rd tier - Miss A, 4Minute, Secret, A Pink
4th tier - Brown Eyed Girls, After School, Dal Shabet, Crayon Pop, Nine Muses, KARA
5th tier - Hello Venus, Rainbow, AOA, Ladies' Code, T-ara, Wonder Girls
6th tier - BESTie

Hyeyeon tweeted that earlier today. Evidently she's pretty psyched that BESTie were mentioned at all. :)

-

Chorong:

Pendulum

Hyeyeon tweeted that earlier today. Evidently she's pretty psyched that BESTie were mentioned at all. :)

Yeah, they're in the "Nominated" tier, which perhaps is some kind of rookie tier (however I see Ladies' Code is there a tier above). They're in good company in that list (regardless of order) and there are plenty of groups not listed, so they should be psyched. :)

Top Bottom