• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

JustinBB7

So did Lizzy, using English (and nominated Luc Besson and Sheikh Mansour lol

4661.jpg

She nominated Shinee's Jonghyun, Lee Soo Man and Chun Jung Myeong.

Uhhh... is she trying to get fired or something?

Why so cynical? It has actually raised huge amounts of money and awareness, even Korean celebrities have been donating money to the foundation.

Haha this is the funny part about the challenge. It's not the people getting drenched by the water, it's from the people absolutely rejecting the idea.

What's even funnier is when people say it's a waste of water. It's like they've never heard of the water cycle or how water is practically an infinite resource.

Says the guy who took part in a giant water fight on the streets of Seoul a few weeks ago.

tumblr_n26xu2fKGM1sk2kqwo6_250.gif

tumblr_n26xu2fKGM1sk2kqwo5_250.gif

eot

Banned
I was looking at the song writing credits for Girls' Generation and I was surprised at how many westerners there were (seemed like a lot of Scandinavians specifically). I know western artists hire songwriters from all over, but I figured they mostly kept it domestic in Kr.

llehuty

I was looking at the song writing credits for Girls' Generation and I was surprised at how many westerners there were (seemed like a lot of Scandinavians specifically). I know western artists hire songwriters from all over, but I figured they mostly kept it domestic in Kr.

I think it's only a SM/YG thing. Rest of the companies tend to
over
use korean producers.

I wish some K-Pop bands would come to Europe for once. And not just for photoshootings.

Co-signed. Stop wishing start making tho

Azn_Boy

Neo Member

SM for the most part just buys their music from western producers (You can find a shit ton of original versions of their songs on Youtube). Sometimes they hire producers from within South Korea (Gee was produced by E-Tribe).

I know YG, JYP, and Cube has their own writers and producers. And the rest of the other companies usually just hire Brave Brothers or Sweetune. There are other producers of course, but they're not as popular.

Why so cynical? It has actually raised huge amounts of money and awareness, even Korean celebrities have been donating money to the foundation.

I did not say people were not donating, I'm saying 98% of the people doing it are not. In my most positive light on the whole "challenge" celebs are the ones who don't want to be caught not donating, but all the dude bros linking their videos online clearly are not. As I've said before, I'm all for good causes and charity, but the purpose is clearly lost in the viral nature of it all at this point.

ramyeon

I did not say people were not donating, I'm saying 98% of the people doing it are not. In my most positive light on the whole "challenge" celebs are the ones who don't want to be caught not donating, but all the dude bros linking their videos online clearly are not. As I've said before, I'm all for good causes and charity, but the purpose is clearly lost in the viral nature of it all at this point.
How are they "clearly not" donating besides you making the assumption that they're not?

Besides which the viral nature of this means that it reaches more people which means that even if not everyone donates then at least more people know about it and the chances of it reaching someone who will donate are greater.

I can't see ANY negatives about it besides you being sick of seeing the videos. In which case you can just not watch them.

And the 98% figure is clearly pulled out of your ass.

This is a good thing especially for a debilitating condition such as ALS that has gone under the public radar for a very long time. I honestly cannot understand why people are getting their pants in a knot over a charity getting awareness and a shit load of monetary donations to help people who are suffering live a longer and better quality life.

Take a step back and really consider what it is you're actually annoyed about. Because as far as I'm concerned $15 million raised for this charity (Last figure I heard obv an estimate) is huge and the fact of the matter is that if this campaign didn't exist that money would not have gone towards the charity.

Edit: it has apparently driven donations up so much that they received over $40 million in the past month or so.

llehuty

Where are these from? I need some SNSD Hello Baby or Family Outing like content to watch.
2nd one is Running Man. Must watch variety IMO. It's a game show game, with special guests in most of the episodes. Nice groups dynamics and very solid ideas that keep throwing at the show to avoid it getting stale. From what i read here it maybe has lost some quality lately, ut fro what I've seen, the first 120ish episodes are quite solid in general.

If you have seen Family Outing, I guess some of the regular cast rings a bell.

Peru

SM for the most part just buys their music from western producers (You can find a shit ton of original versions of their songs on Youtube). Sometimes they hire producers from within South Korea (Gee was produced by E-Tribe).

This is a popular misrepresentation - at least in recent years the SM songs, esp singles, worked on by western teams are nearly all a result of SMs songwriting camps where their inhouse producers brainstorm with western ones, sm designs the sound and the teams make it a song. Often an SM composer will work as a composer on the song as well. The fact is SM with this collab strategy has succeded better than most labels staying strictly domestic in creating a uniquely Korean sound.

Pendulum

I need some SNSD Hello Baby or Family Outing like content to watch.

My two recommendations would be Invincible Youth 1 (arguably "Family Outing-like" in that it features idols dealing with rural life) and Running Man (yeah, classic newer episodes are harder to come by, but at 208 episodes it is one of the pretty consistently funny and enjoyable shows imho).

No No Eul

So many excellent gifs on the first half of this page. :D

Man, that was hilarious. Subs for Sunny's call, although they're kind of incomplete towards the end.

Nicole said:

Ice bucket challenges from Jisoo (BTS), the rest of Apink and Jieun.

Star Empire subunit 'Nasty Nasty' said:

LABOUM 1st Single Album '두근두근' Teaser

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Top Bottom