• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

AReed

I'm not gonna translate them individually since it's all pretty similar. Just that it's a really sad, and although people were praying a lot for her to get better it turned out like this. If you mean the sentence 삼가 고인의 명복을 빕니다 (Which they all said) then it's basically what we say as "Rest in Peace" in English. It means to pray for the happiness of the deceased in the afterlife.

Yeah, that's the part I was wondering about.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah, it's basically an "asian spirituality megamix" phrase. Don't think too hard on specific meaning intended.

Looking back on deaths of other musicians, I see their friends and colleagues going on to continue making music. I hope the other three can likewise cope with this and not give up on their dream of being singers and go on to make themselves more happy memories associated with performing music.

ramyeon

Yeah, it's basically an "asian spirituality megamix" phrase. Don't think too hard on specific meaning intended.
Yeah, it's not tied to any specific religion or belief set anymore. Pretty much exactly the same use as "Rest In Peace" in English, directly translating RIP works as well but it's not what's commonly said.

Anyway, this is upsetting. I was hoping that she would pull through despite the rational side of me knowing that it was probably not going to happen. They were just too young.

RIP
XxC1GXc.jpg

dokish

Banned
Damn. Now I'm depressed.

Hopefully their passing will serve as a warning to all other idols and managers and fucking drivers. Keep your car always well maintained and if the rain is heavy, stop. Better safe than sorry. Sadly this saying doesn't exist in Korean.

EDIT: Amazing how sitty year Korea is having. Sewol, mentally unstable guy in the army killed his buddies, subway crashed into another cart and killed a few and injured others, idol groups dying...

broz0rs

I was really hoping she'd make it even though the chances were slim. Felt sick to my stomach when I heard it. RIP Rise

luso

Terrible news... RIP. Condolences to all family and friends, and hopefully all the others can recover fully.

Even if it seems cold at the moment saying, this is the end of the idol group Ladie's Code. This was really traumatic, and even if the other members recover, I'm not sure if they want to continue their path, or at least, under the same group name, maybe also the agency thinks this way.

Any chance T-ara's comeback being delayed because of this tragedy? I doubt it( it's KKS) but it may be possible.

JustinBB7

Terrible news... RIP. Condolences to all family and friends, and hopefully all the others can recover fully.

Even if it seems cold at the moment saying, this is the end of the idol group Ladie's Code. This was really traumatic, and even if the other members recover, I'm not sure if they want to continue their path, or at least, under the same group name, maybe also the agency thinks this way.

Any chance T-ara's comeback being delayed because of this tragedy? I doubt it( it's KKS) but it may be possible.

Coming back would not be a good idea I think..

Pendulum

Jiyeon's solo was delayed in light of the Sewol tragedy. That being said, I don't think the comebacks planned next week (2PM and Teen Top also have one) will be delayed. The industry is largely continuing as usual (music shows still ran this week (apart from the one baseball game clash), comebacks happened this week after the crash) which is, I believe, one of the more appropriate ways to respond to something like this - rally together and show respect and support for someone by continuing to do what they loved to do. Sports, film, and the wider music field are no strangers to this. "The show must go on" might sound crass, but it can be cathartic.

The music charts are also responding to new releases (e.g. Show Me The Money) so as cold as it sounds, there doesn't appear to be a business reason to delay any comebacks next week. Although, on the other hand, not every group has a Korean image problem like T-ara...

Eldren

The industry is largely continuing as usual (music shows still ran this week (apart from the one baseball game clash), comebacks happened this week after the crash) which is, I believe, one of the more appropriate ways to respond to something like this - rally together and show respect and support for someone by continuing to do what they loved to do. Sports, film, and the wider music field are no strangers to this. "The show must go on" might sound crass, but it can be cathartic..

That's sort of what Inkigayo did today. Instead of Sistar performing an encore, the MCs said a few words about Eunb and Rise and played I'm Fine Thank You instead. Very moving I thought, and a nice tribute after some incredibly sad news.

Pendulum

"SBS 'Roommate' to start Season 2 with a re-branding as 'It's Okay, Roommate' + cast changes"

SBS's troubled variety program 'Roommate' will be going through major surgery before it debuts again as Season 2 under the title, 'It's Okay, Roommate'.

The new season will also feature a new roster of cast members, who will join the remaining Season 1 cast.

"The direction we are taking with the Season 2 cast members fits in with the new concept of the show," Park Sang Hyuk, the producer of 'Roommate', explained. "If Season 1 was about strangers rooming together, Season 2 will focus on their individual lives. We plan to show how people with complexes or problems overcome them through their experience on 'Roommate'."

The Season 2 cast will be older than the previous cast, the producer noted. "Just like Season 1, the members will consist of those celebrities who were hard to see on variety programs," he said.

Whelp, it was a good run.

neoism

This is a good read, if you understand Korean.

Title says: "Each SNSD member receives 0,1 Won per streaming".

If you don't know: USD $1 = 1024 Won, or 1 Cent is 10,24 Won.

SNSD is an example for the artist, the picture on the article shows the digital and streaming music services distribution overall in Korea.

For example, if a download service cost you 600 Won, 18 Won goes to the singer(s). Means SNSD receives 2 Won each (~$0.002)

A monthly service costing you 3000 Won Streaming for 100 songs (I think this is an example) means 0,9 Won for the singer(s). Means a SNSD member would receive 0,1 Won.

On other words, a song must be streamed 1 million times for a singer receive 900 dollars - or $100 for each SNSD member.

Not to mention the problems for the composers and producers, they also receive poorly

These services in Korea basically pay peanuts the artists, only the distributors (after agencies share). I think the article also talks about the iTunes and that artist's share, per song, is bigger outside Korea (USA/Europe)
I knew some of this background so was easy to understand but I used Google translation, if someone finds this full translated, post in here.

lol DAMN if it wasn't for endowments they would be poor. There without a doubt millionaire's though..lol good thang they all gorgeous :p
Man, the Ladies Code song I'm Fine, Thank You is heartbreaking to listen to.

RIP Rise.

woow the other girl died.. :*( RIP

dokish

Banned
Is the picture not loading?

I have no idea what the popular shampoo, however DAMN they all smell incredible all the time, even after a whole day of working and sweating in the summer.

Ym1r

Is the picture not loading?

I have no idea what the popular shampoo, however DAMN they all smell incredible all the time, even after a whole day of working and sweating in the summer.

I saw the picture initially, then I refreshed and it disappeared.

edit: nvm just takes a while to load.

giri

This is a good read, if you understand Korean.

Title says: "Each SNSD member receives 0,1 Won per streaming".

If you don't know: USD $1 = 1024 Won, or 1 Cent is 10,24 Won.

SNSD is an example for the artist, the picture on the article shows the digital and streaming music services distribution overall in Korea.

For example, if a download service cost you 600 Won, 18 Won goes to the singer(s). Means SNSD receives 2 Won each (~$0.002)

A monthly service costing you 3000 Won Streaming for 100 songs (I think this is an example) means 0,9 Won for the singer(s). Means a SNSD member would receive 0,1 Won.

On other words, a song must be streamed 1 million times for a singer receive 900 dollars - or $100 for each SNSD member.

Not to mention the problems for the composers and producers, they also receive poorly

These services in Korea basically pay peanuts the artists, only the distributors (after agencies share). I think the article also talks about the iTunes and that artist's share, per song, is bigger outside Korea (USA/Europe)
I knew some of this background so was easy to understand but I used Google translation, if someone finds this full translated, post in here.
Not exactly news. They make most of their money from performance fee's, sponsorships, and CF's.

It's why if the group can, they focus so heavily on Japan over Korea, their share over there is usually much more. (Though, that wasn't true for the first wave of Korean artists going to Japan, it's much better now)

roaSone

.. RIP Rise. This really killed my day, saw this first thing in the morning..... I went to work with a heavy heart all day long.

neoism

lol TTS ep2 was ...nothing.. still sooo funny.. wish tae was always that playful she much have been in a good mode...
ib0nijxjYeV0CP.gif

megustabishieplz.png

Episode 3 airs Sept 16.

:*(

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Victoria posting glamour selfies while other idols are in mourning.
Eh, she did tell everyone to be safe. Maybe that is her way of addressing it? If you want to get into the topic of "disrespectful omission" none of all of YG has said a word on the issue while continuously promoting how cool they are or whatever. Some people are gonna keep it all business, I guess.
Though, it doesn't help my already-ingrained perception of YG being completely self-absorbed. That, combined with their ridiculous self-praise and emotionally hyperbolic studio stories, makes them come off even slightly cultish.

In related news, it seems the first responder report contradicts the claims EunB was ejected from the vehicle? I guess we'll better know what went on when the investigation concludes.

Tornhelm

Neo Member
I was more annoyed by that guy from Super Junior with his "I met EunB for the first time today, in a photo at her funeral" line. If you've never even met them, then have a little fucking decency and skip the funeral instead of using it as a bloody PR stunt.

Top Bottom