• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

K1LLER7

I'm really liking the 2PM song. Guess they were going for a "Hands Up" feel.

The beat is great. Nicely done Jun.K, hope he produces more songs.

Loci

So by the look of things, Running Man ratings have been going down heavily past few months. I finally have some free time on my hands now, so I'm getting all the ones I need to catch up on. Can't wait, I'm almost 100 episodes behind thanks to iSubs quitting lol.

Anyway, with these ratings so low, chances it will stop soon? I kinda get it, must be hard to get original ideas week after week. And if you have boring guests, the sometimes hurt the show.

If they're going to continue the show any longer, Gary will have been teamed up with every single beauty in his country.

god damnit.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
2PM song was completely in line with the rest of their music. So on the one hand, it's not really adventurous or innovative, but on the other hand it's a lot of fun. That's generally how I would describe them as a group, so I haven't come to expect anything else from them, and am thus satisfied with this. They have simply accepted their pop identity, don't give a single fuck about trying to prove themselves as anything more or reinventing pop, and have a good time living it out with good professionalism and attitude that makes for good shows. I can't hate on them for living the dream.

Ym1r

Girl hasn't aged a day in years. She was adorable in My Love Patzzi back in the day.

Yeah I looked at some old pictures of her, she is gorgeous, I'm totally a fan now. She's taken over Moon Chae Won's place as #2 on my list of actresses. Son Ye Jin will of course always be #1. But I could see Jang Nara there too... she really is ridiculously cute and I can't help but love her.

ramyeon

Yeah I looked at some old pictures of her, she is gorgeous, I'm totally a fan now. She's taken over Moon Chae Won's place as #2 on my list of actresses. Son Ye Jin will of course always be #1. But I could see Jang Nara there too... she really is ridiculously cute and I can't help but love her.
Her music is pretty adorable too. I think it was the music video for Sweet Dream and My Love Patzzi that won me over back in the day. The music video is almost nauseatingly cute looking back at it lol.

Always thought it was a shame that she practically disappeared from Korea after finding huge popularity in China.

Ym1r

Her music is pretty adorable too. I think it was the music video for Sweet Dream and My Love Patzzi that won me over back in the day. The music video is almost nauseatingly cute looking back at it lol.

Always thought it was a shame that she practically disappeared from Korea after finding huge popularity in China.

yeah me and loc were looking at her wiki and saw that she had a few albums.

then we saw
Released: March 27, 2008
Sales: 1,200,000

I thought it was pretty insane anybody sells that much, but then I saw all the chinese stuff she does, I guess she really is that big over there huh.

I hope she thinks about doing another k-drama soon, can't get enough of her. I'll probably be really sad when I finish this drama.

Loci

Singer 테인 (Ta'en)

NJxm9J6.jpg

She did a cover which went kind of viral some time ago. Fantastic voice.

Her latest single
Feeling Good cover

and also, she's hella fine, too.

ramyeon

yeah me and loc were looking at her wiki and saw that she had a few albums.

then we saw
Released: March 27, 2008
Sales: 1,200,000

I thought it was pretty insane anybody sells that much, but then I saw all the chinese stuff she does, I guess it really is that big over there huh.

I hope she thinks about doing another k-drama soon, can't get enough of her. I'll probably be really sad when I finish this drama.
Yeah she was a pretty big deal in the early 2000s in Korea. She even did a few performances in the States with mostly SM artists and Hyori (These were even more of a deal back then since they were few and far between. Mostly for promoting relations between Korea and the US and attended by small crowds of Korean Americans lol), then she got huge in China and seemed to go off the Korean radar. Most of the music and dramas she's done since then have been Chinese and in China.

This video of hers is cute too.

And hey, at least you have a backlog lol. You should def. watch My Love Patzzi if you can get your hands on it.

Ym1r

And hey, at least you have a backlog lol. You should def. watch My Love Patzzi if you can get your hands on it.

I dunno if I could, I can't really stand old dramas anymore after watching so many newer ones.

I remember watching Autumn in my Heart when I was younger, it got me hooked on Korean Dramas but that thing is so old now, I kinda laugh at how bad the plot-acting-scenes-fashion was back then. It doesn't help that the video quality looks terrible comparing to todays. But I'll give it a shot, feel like it wouldn't do Jang Nara any justice if I passed over it.

Wish it was my first drama though, I'd probably be up in Jang Nara fever right about now if it were. But nah, I had to had Song Hye Gyo fever which I am totally over now, I couldn't even finish That Winter, The Wind Blows. She was my first encounter with the world of qt koreans, but not so cute seeing all these other girls.

ramyeon

I dunno if I could, I can't really stand old dramas anymore after watching so many newer ones.

I remember watching Autumn in my Heart when I was younger, it got me hooked on Korean Dramas but that thing is so old now, I kinda laugh at how bad the plot-acting-scenes-fashion was back then. It doesn't help that the video quality looks terrible comparing to todays. But I'll give it a shot, feel like it wouldn't do Jang Nara any justice if I passed over it.

Wish it was my first drama though, I'd probably be up in Jang Nara fever right about now if it were. But nah, I had to had Song Hye Gyo fever which I am totally over now, I couldn't even finish That Winter, The Wind Blows. She was my first encounter with the world of qt koreans, but not so cute seeing all these other girls.
True, a lot of them definitely haven't aged well. I'd be interested in rewatching My Love Patzzi just to see how I feel about it today haha.

There are exceptions though, for example I think anyone who likes Korean dramas should watch My Name is Kim Sam Soon as required viewing. Still one of the GOAT of Korean dramas imo.

I remember watching Jang Nara in Nonstop a looooong time ago. It was when I still lived in the Philippines and Arirang was broadcasting the show with and without subtitles.

You know what, I just realized something... Son Dambi might've been my first ever K-Pop crush. She apparently was on Nonstop as well, and there was this really pretty girl my 13 year old self was falling head over heels for. I'm 80% that was Dambi lol.

Ym1r

I just asked my mom about Fated to love you, she said she already finished it after starting it a couple days ago...

wat a drama freak

just the other day my entire family finished emergency couple too.

The cycle is real. I binge dramas, then get bored and do something else, then go back to drama binges.

edit: Jang Nara is good at acting super vulnerable and innocent in this drama with her soft voice and demeanor. I just wanna reach through the screen and comfort her forever. and I only just finished episode 2.

edit2: need the running man voice that calls people out. "Son Ye Jin out... Son Ye Jin out..." cuz nara is definitely #1 now that ep 3 adorableness got me good.

Nope, I just can't.

This is really bad.

It saddens me even more when I remember when T-ara used to put out consistently great tunes.

It has some moments, but overall is bad.

I can´t even watch Hyomin properly ffs. Plus, i don't like skinny Eunjung that much.

The first part of the song sounds like a bad remix of Nº 9, that was their last good/average song.

It has some moments, but overall is bad.

I can´t even watch Hyomin properly ffs. Plus, i don't like skinny Eunjung that much.

The first part of the song sounds like a bad remix of Nº 9, that was their last good/average song.

I thought I was the only one who felt like they sampled Number 9 for Sugar Free.

Dice

Eh..I think it's similar but pretty different. Just the same sound. Maybe the kpop audience isnt familiar with that sound and thinks it all sounds the same lol
It probably is reasonable to assume most don't think of electronic sound samples as instruments and that they all have to be unique. I bet there are people who think artists who use Moog are ripping off Flaming Lips or something.

Shinsadong probably chills at clubs and just takes influence from all kinds of stuff. He's been involved in T-ara's evolution and knows their desire to hit up Japan/America more so he probably figured continuing the shift to EDM was good for them, and honestly it probably is.

Peru

They put out their videos via Dispatch?

It's ok, it's a real attempt at standing out, but T-ara had a sound of their own which I really dug. I thought Sexy Love was their last really great single.

luso

Edit: Official (?) channel link

I'm writing this after having a few seizures... my eyesight is still recovering. This MV is unwatchable.
Did they just broke the World Record of most cuts per seconds in a MV?

I like the chorus but it for a first listen is still a little messy. Too electronic for my taste, still listenable but not on repeat.
Also a positive side is Jiyeon on leather pants and plenty of midriffs.

Suga' Fee!

I thought I was the only one who felt like they sampled Number 9 for Sugar Free.

There is a bass sound line that looks like it a bit.

Seatbelt.............................

rN9vTck.jpg

Maybe the car is still parked?

Dice

Exid's new song has been growing on me, so I decided to get it and that really secured it for me. Proper sound quality definitely helps it a lot, but in some unexpected ways. The production is still sloppy, but strangely that is part of its appeal? Reminds me of older days of hiphop when people were just doing fresh shit with less order or polish. There are a lot of oddities and little personal touches in there that don't always make complete sense but the feeling of creative freedom coming out of it is... cute? It definitely wasn't entirely systematically constructed, but there were plenty of times where LE or whoever else went "let's add this to this part" and maybe "that needs to sound different, but how? uh, let's try this" and such, a lot of feeling-based sensibility.

Blablurn

sorry guys

the more i listen to sugar free the more i like it

it kinda sounds like your typical eurovision song.

oh yeah. i like it.

i also like the simple dance choreo during the chorus

Pendulum

Watching/listening on my old phone with a weak Polish wifi, but I liked my first listen of Sugar Free. Not a return to best form, but with previous mid-fare (as far as their discography goes) like Sexy Love and Number 9, I'm enjoying that if this was going to hit around the same mark then they experimented with (or at least bought into) a different sound.

The whole release is abnormal as far as CCM goes. A lack of teasers drawn out over weeks and no individual photos. :/ I need a new jiyeon.jpg avatar for when I get back home.

Edit: listened again. Yeah, I'm digging it.

Ashhong

It probably is reasonable to assume most don't think of electronic sound samples as instruments and that they all have to be unique. I bet there are people who think artists who use Moog are ripping off Flaming Lips or something.

Shinsadong probably chills at clubs and just takes influence from all kinds of stuff. He's been involved in T-ara's evolution and knows their desire to hit up Japan/America more so he probably figured continuing the shift to EDM was good for them, and honestly it probably is.

Do we know shinsadong produced this song? Was hoping they really did ask showtek to produce lol.

Anybody else watching Fated to love you?

I just started, Jang Nara is absolutely adorable in this.

I really hit the gold pot when I found that mv. Can't believe I haven't heard of her before. Enjoying the show for the most part so far. Guy is a little bit too silly at times. Reminds me of The Greatest Love.

Had no idea she was an artist too. Definitely gonna check out her stuff when I get home from work.

I'll definitely be checking it out. Cinderella's Sister was interesting at times. This sounds similar.

First impression is that it's alright. Has the potential to grow on me. Far from their best though. Feels like aeons since they released something great, something they used to do somewhat regularly in the past.

JESUS CHRIST. Look at this mess.

Ashhong

Have had Sugar Free on repeat and it's a damn fun song. Is it some revolutionary song? No, but kpop rarely is. It's catchy with a strong beat. I normally dont like that deep dirty bass in kpop, but it works in this song. The sound mixing on it makes it even better I think. Just sounds so good with headphones. The buildup in the chorus is so goood

oh yea, hi guys! what have i missed?

luso

I really like the song but it's the first time I've not been able to watch a music video in its entirety. This MV is seizure material no joke.

I guess I'll have to wait for [MV ver.2]...

Razzie award for editing.

Waiting for the live stages, at least they are watchable, I hope, some times the style imitates that from the MV.

Top Bottom