• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

Pendulum

Now checking Room mates.
Is this being subbed?

With Sunny on it, I would hope there would be some good quality ones coming out. Is Soshi Subs still around?

----

Related (though not specifically SE related
yet?
)- Around the time this started to blow up, this story about trainee sexual abuse was aired.

Most of those ZE:A tweets have been deleted now, btw.

----

Edit: Congratulations to the happy couple
Bx_eNDrCUAASA9Z.jpg

----

Late edit: Solji does a good impersonation of LE

Loci

Dramafever subbed season 1 for Roommate.
Always takes them a day or two to release subs.
__

What I'm more surprised about this criminal background of companies is that there are still so few reports. But since all they want is becoming rich and famous, nobody says anything. If he even wants to release shit on other companies as well, that just shows how interwoven this business is with their racketeering.

luso

Soshisubs rarely releases anything nowadays
Also, Dramafever is not available in my country..

Anyway I watched it raw, too soon to say anything, it was the inaugural episode so it's understandable. There wasn't much Nana, Young Ji appears to be cute, Jackson doing front somersaults (is this the right word?) all the time, GOD member crazy ahjussi. Sunny also did not got much time. About Sunny, she may not be the prettiest member in soshi but it is totally a wifey material. Day and night.

giri

Anyway I watched it raw, too soon to say anything, it was the inaugural episode so it's understandable. There wasn't much Nana, Young Ji appears to be cute, Jackson doing front somersaults (is this the right word?) all the time, GOD member crazy ahjussi. Sunny also did not got much time. About Sunny, she may not be the prettiest member in soshi but it is totally a wifey material. Day and night.

TBF to soshisubs, they don't do a heck of a lot of variety these days. The jungsis show and the TTS show were the first in a long while.

Pendulum

ZE:A's leader, Lee Hoo/Junyoung, has started tweeting again. AKP translation:
"Now, not much time is left until the day is over.. It's just that including ZE:A, there can be no more sacrificed.. Why must they be supressed doing the music day love.. The entertainment world is a world where you are a criminal if you don't have money, and the winner if you have money." He added, "Sunbaenims, fellow [idols], hoobaes, and for those people who want to sing and dance with dreams that will continue to appear.. I want to show you that the outside looks flashy, but the inside is completely empty.. It's not that no one is talking; it's that no one can. What is money, that it seals lips.. Reporters, help me."

He added, "But I want to clear all those accusations. Celebrities like us have to do whatever we are told. We can't talk about all the things inside, and we have to swallow it all. I don't want to lose my group ZE:A.. So I'll strengthen my heart again. Help me..." He continued, "If this situation is buried, I also cannot say that the world you think about is wrong.. Siwan once said 'We cowardly shut our mouths today as well..' before the standard contract came out. Our contract lasted for 12 years - 10 years, excluding the 2 spent in the army."

He said, "After that, the notification of the contract that we received from the Fair Trade Commission was that the company took 70% and we took 30%. More accurately, we work years and years after the 7:3 division. If we earn 1,000,000 KRW, President Shin Joo Hak takes 700,000 and we take 300,000.... There are 9 of us. We share that 300,000 over and over and over again....". He further explained, "Our contract period is 7 years - 9 including our enlistment. I have been giving Star Empire my entire youth, starting from my teens and now my 20s. Our dorm is lacking, so we break our faces going to the bathroom while dozing off, and one week before our 'Aftermath' comeback, I'm sent out to KBS' 'Dream Team' and my leg breaks.."

He added, "Are there politics at the broadcast stations, as well? The Dream Team PD told me to come out, and my leg broke, so I had to get metal pins, but in the broadcast, I had to say that I hurt myself practicing, right? That's where I'm saying things are wrong. After my surgery, these people came just with one basket of fruit.. But the reality is that [we have to deal with this] to be able to perform on music shows.." He said, "I kept my mouth shut back then, too. Then, more than my broken leg, I was worried about the hospital fees.. What is money that it keeps me saying from things I shold have said.. I... What we wanted was jst a warm word.. But you made me.. us..like this."

He went on to say, "Money is everything in this world. It's even worse as I felt it in this celebrity industry.. And the manipulated mass-com shuts people up and even makes people commit [suicide].. Don't trust it. I hope you definitely realize there is a reason why sweet candy melts quickly." He added, "We are also our parents' precious children, who, as people say, will not cause them pain even if we are put into their eyes. CEOs, reflect on your actions. If you really think we are actually like the children you raise, you could never do that to us."

He concluded, "I go now to settle this with President Shin Joo Hak. Please wait.. And don't remove me from the search terms.."

reasons j-pop groups are better than k-pop groups right now:

Sophisticated sexy http://youtu.be/eH1qA0LwI7I
The powerful dancing http://youtu.be/M_4nGY9at9M
The provocateurs http://youtu.be/sKnFnhoXiCU
The global stars http://youtu.be/CBh3k6qxeJE

Really love the Baby Metal song. Also added the three others to my Japanese playlist as they are decent. The rest of the list did for the most part suck imo.

OH MY GODDD what a body

Best body in kpop.

luso

I wonder how that Z:EA situation will end.

Also some news about Hyoyeon on the feed, I'm using translator but seems to be related to March incident and not anything new.

Couple of years ago I would've said that while j-pop's got the better solo artists, k-pop's the place for interesting idol groups. Now things have changed to the point where I feel I can present these

reasons j-pop groups are better than k-pop groups right now:

That's without listing the less idol-y likes of Perfume, FEMM, etc

(To be fair k-pop's won back ground in interesting solo artists)

As someone who has a bigger collection of J-Music, though not a straight up pop music fan in general that was a good list showing how things have changed. Ever since AKB48 idol groups have been dime a dozen, all of which were just pale imitations of them who stood no chance, even to the point where people are trying to recreate their "theater" success. Nice to see that a lot are trying to do their own thing.

Only one I really noticed off that list is E-Girls, simply because I'm an Exile fan. They really kill it dancing... well because they are related to Exile haha. Even their trainees are beasts at dancing. Though I did hope they would go for a more Exile sound just in female form when they were announced a few years ago.

Pendulum

Also some news about Hyoyeon on the feed, I'm using translator but seems to be related to March incident and not anything new.

At Seoul Yongsan Police Station, girl group member Girls Generation Hyoyeon's ex-boyfriend (Mr. Kim) has been indicted without detention on charges of assault for a drunken fight.

According to police, [statement taken] at 5am on the 21st at Seoul Yongsan police station, Kim-ssi had a party at his own home with some aquaintances. He's under suspicion of getting drunk and having a physical fight with attendee Mr. A. Police state that Hyoyeon was also at this party.

Mr. Kim and his guests first went to a club in the vicinity and drank. This is where the fight with Mr. A took place. The fight began when they grabbed eachothers' collars. After this, they moved to his home. Mr. Kim stated that acquaintance Mr. B threw a golf club at the wall in order to stop the fight.

Police arrived at the scene when they received Mr. B's 112 report and Mr. Kim told police, "We got drunk and fought."

Police booked both Mr. Kim and Mr. A for assault and will call them later for questioning.

Last March, Mr. Kim reported to the police that Hyoyeon poked him in the eye while playing around. In the investigation, Mr. Kim stated, "I don't think she purposely hit me." Hyoyeon has been cleared of any suspicion.

Hyoyeon's company SM Entertainment stated, "It's true that they dated, but they have already broken up."

tl:dr - Her ex has been charged for assault (this is new, not the thing from March). Hyoyeon mentioned because she was at the party.

Pendulum

More from ZE:A's Lee Hoo:

"I finished speaking with President Shin Joo Hak," he posted. "It has been decided that Star Empire will be operated by me, by us, as a ZE:A company. I promised all of you that ZE:A's Day will be coming, I said I will either knock it down or absorb it ... now is the time for you to protect us.. But the truth is..."

"Lastly, President Shin Joo Hak who lost everything and was left with empty pockets... I still deplore and hate you but you were our President for 8 years. You were my responsibility and.. that responsibility.. I'll take the shaming from the public and the fans. Myself and President Shin Joo Hak will take the responsibility. The contract has been flipped, we now receive 7 to every 3 for the President."

"What I want to say is, with this incident, I know that many other agency presidents are having problems with contracts. I will close my mouth so please fix the problem and treat your artists better. I will make this last request politely. If they can hear my heart .."

"We will start fresh from the very beginning.. put everything down and consider it my baby.. I humbly request that you do it one more time."

"And to everyone, the fans, the reporters, who helped us.. thank you. Thank you so much for revealing our truth. To everyone reading this... in the name of ZE:A, the singers, the actors, the dancers, the variety people, and in the name of our seniors, friends, juniors and all of the artists... putting ZE:A and my name, Lee Hoo, on the line, I wanted to tell you that we will live bravely."

What?

Pendulum

Waiting for a secondary source to confirm things so I don't believe he's lost it.

(Can we please get Sera to return and run Nine Muses?)

Ym1r

Swap profits around. Realize how shit your group is because you still don't make much.

I'm glad he can at least get something back but I think he's going a little overboard. If what he said was true, then he just got put in a rough position and I bet hes going to have a lot of trouble managing it.

neoism

True but I'd say she has the sexiest body without a doubt x_x

Pendulum

It just seems so sudden to be completely believable. Between his announcement that he was going to talk to the CEO and the "I'm the boss now" tweets, it was what? A couple of hours? Did the lawyers involved read page 1 and go "sounds good to me"? Where there lawyers involved? It's got to be some real heavy shit hanging over the CEO's head for this to happen when he's got them locked in a contract. And I personally don't see Lee Hoo walking away cleanly from this if the threatens to expose but then keeps all those dirty secrets that will "flip the entire industry on its head" when he gets some cash in return. Something of that significance should be aired if it was so bad he was going to commit suicide.

Young idol, wanting to be loved by everyone has to witness atrocities by the CEO to make it big- 10 episodes of it getting continually more difficult for him - until he is pushed too far by the CEO and finally snaps, threatening to tell everyone of the CEO's evil unless he become the new CEO. Not sure how it'll end though. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

dokish

Banned
Wow, "season 2" of roommates is out. Hopefully will be at least bearable with Sunny in there.

'Mama' is a good drama, but dragging this shit to 24 episodes is too much. Hopefully they will manage to keep the story interesting.

AReed

Young idol, wanting to be loved by everyone has to witness atrocities by the CEO to make it big- 10 episodes of it getting continually more difficult for him - until he is pushed too far by the CEO and finally snaps, threatening to tell everyone of the CEO's evil unless he become the new CEO. Not sure how it'll end though. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

When you put it that way it seems like coercion. "If you don't give me what I want I'll tell on you." What's the legality of coercion in Korea?

This just makes the ZEA dude an asshole.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
When you put it that way it seems like coercion. "If you don't give me what I want I'll tell on you." What's the legality of coercion in Korea?

I was just thinking, this thing is starting to look kinda similar to the blackmailing that happened not that long ago, only more public.

dokish

Banned
The guy from Hong Kong, I like him. His accent is easy to understand and his words are simple. Plus he seems quite funny.

EDIT:
After working in a Kitchen... watching Nana using a knife was cringe worthy.
EDIT 2: She used shitty, pre-cooked, 7/11 rice to make Kimbap... and she wasn't sure exactly how to make it... Goddamn.

Yeah, but you could make it seem justified in the drama. Like protagonist slowly descends into evil by having to secretly hate CEO and he completely looses it when CEO stands and laughs over his broken leg.
Oh jeez have I been playing too much walking dead

Pendulum

More rambling from ZE:A's leader
[UPDATE 4] Lee Hoo has deleted most of the above tweets detailing the results of his negotiations.

[UPDATE 5] "Hello, this is ZE:A's Moon Jun Young. Firstly, I'm sorry for causing trouble today. I just finished talking with the President, and I am very thankful that my feelings were heard. I also express my thanks to the President, who listened to my sincere words and cared for them."

"...I just wanted to get this out in the open; the President getting scolded by the fans and the public. But after the deed is done, I feel... smaller. Look here, everyone... this is just a household spat between myself and the President. Other agencies might be even worse... I don't like that our President is the only one left behind."

"The parts that I've misunderstood.. parts that I've become emotional.. President Shin Joo Hak drew blood because all of the other companies are the same. Since everyone avoids the issue. If they think this is the world and they don't have to worry about tomorrow, they will just move to the sidelines and watch the fight. I'm sure there are many people who flinch at what I've said. Now that I've gotten my company on my side.."

"I will keep fighting, if only for other celebrities. If you're a male agency owner, I think you should be on the same side and protect those you need to. I, and ZE:A, will now protect Star Empire and President Shin Joo Hak. I especially love you all, our ZE:As."

"Our President told me to be patient.. that's why I'm not divulging any data. Told me to leave the other houses alone.. he cried, and he's a person too, and he's a man so that's probably why he told me that. Now when we're all on the same side, we... sigh... I'll be patient. Since our President apologized as the representative.

"Our President, he today really.. he protected us and listened to me. Only we will know what is above this picture. We all cried a lot today and learned that if we speak our true feelings, things will work out. We saw the tears.."

Now he's defending the president.

Pendulum

Star Empire statement:
TV Report got a comment from a Star Empire employee, who said, "After midnight, [Lee Hoo] and CEO Shin Joo Hak met to start talking. They talked openly about everything, including their misunderstandings and friction. Through this chance, they were able to actually have a good talk. They will be able to have an easy relationship."

They added, "There's nothing in detail that is decided on ZE:A's promotions. But they did talk a lot to solve the misunderstandings and dissolve friction. As for their promotions, we will organize everything step by step. We're very sorry to have worried so many people. Both ZE:A and Star Empire will work hard."

In an official statement, the label said,

Hello, this is Star Empire. First, we bow our heads in apology for worrying fans who care a lot about [Lee Hoo] and ZE:A. Late at night yesterday (the 21st), [Lee Hoo] met with CEO Shin Joo Hak to talk about their sincere feelings and to solve misunderstandings. After talking openly about everything with [Lee Hoo], they were able to solve all the friction. We should have taken interest earlier and held this conversation, but since we have spent so much time together, the thought that they would just understand just made the misunderstandings grow bigger. Through this situation, we will work even harder together. Lastly, we apologize deeply once again for worrying everyone who love and show interest for [Lee Hoo], ZE:A, and Star Empire.

Agency statements are usually 50/50, but this seems to match Lee Hoo's most recent tweets. So much for President Lee Hoo.

-----

Jieun

Top Bottom