• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT5| Controversies Over Nothing

dokish

Banned
If I can ask, probably a stupid question, but how did you get that job?

lol
Funny story actually.
I went to a bar in Itaewon with a Korean friend who loves foreigners, and there was this Iranian guy working. While I was paying the bill, the poked me from behind and said that if I wanted a job in Korea, he can help me because he has some contacts. We exchanged phone numbers and after a few weeks he texted me about a new place that was hiring.

I showed up, did a quick interview and got the job.

Although it is in Itaewon, weekdays we basically only receive Koreans. For each 20 Koreans tables, you have 1 foreigner table. But weekends might be different? I don't know.

And I actually talk to the costumers in Korean.

EDIT: The Iranian guy is actually a FRIEND of the manager, so I think I got lucky. I mentioned his name and automatically got it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
s1XEOqb.jpg

It has been recently revealed that Taeyang will take on a double title track comeback with the release of his 2nd solo studio album scheduled for a mid-October release.

The upcoming 2nd studio album is the first solo work from Taeyang in 3 years since his 1st album release, "Solar (2010)," in which he promoted the hit title track, "I Need A Girl."

Right before the Chuseok holidays, YG Entertainment reported that Taeyang had finished shooting one of his title track's music video. The music video to the 2nd title track is set to be shot in the upcoming week.

An official stated, "Taeyang's current solo album is undergoing some last-minute tweaks. Taeyang produced the album, which will most likely be released in mid-October."

Dice

I am salty when I watch a music show and 70% of it is terrible, and the most hyped things are the most bland things not only in kpop but out of anything I have listened to for the last 5 years. I don't know why Koreans love boring shit so much, it is a great mystery to me. I also assume your girl somehow infected you with this sickness to like boring shit.

ramyeon

I am salty when I watch a music show and 70% of it is terrible, and the most hyped things are the most bland things not only in kpop but out of anything I have listened to for the last 5 years. I don't know why Koreans love boring shit so much, it is a great mystery to me. I also assume your girl somehow infected you with this sickness to like boring shit.
This conversation is going nowhere, and I can't read any of that without shoving my face into the palm of my hand, you stick to your idols and girl groups and I'll stick to what I like :)

Dice

If I ever feel like listening to the Gin Blossoms on morphine I'll give Busker Busker's new song another play.

Pendulum

Couple recent SNS pics-

Sera at comeback practice.
tumblr_mtns8pFkkC1qkljdfo1_500.jpg

Hyunyoung!
BU_bUxVCIAAVbup.jpg

Girl's Day on a double decker bus in Seoul
BU-3eWDCMAMR8-V.jpg

Lizzy stopping long enough from picking up dog poop
BU_bm3MCUAERSm0.png

----------

Edit:

waaaaaa~
NXTrkev.jpg

jnHWuxu.jpg

ramyeon

Depends on the visa type. If it's a D-2, which I assume it is, as that's what I had, you can so long as you apply for a work permit at the immigration office.

ramyeon

Busker Busker is so good. K-indie is so damn good its a shame it gets barely any love here.

I listen to K-indie way more than idols nowadays, so many amazing artists out there that don't get the attention they deserve.
Yep, it's true.

I've tried in the past to post about new indie releases but they've mostly been looked over with whatever idol group has a comeback that day or whatever pic spam follows it lol.

Or people like Dice get their panties in a knot because they can't get their head around the fact that not everyone has the same taste as them :)

Dice

It is hard to get my head around how anyone can enjoy--let alone, as a musician, create--the lifeless, do-nothing music a lot of k-indie seems to produce. When Neon Bunny has more balls than 90% of the scene... yeah, I can't grasp that.

Edit: To be more clear. No matter how depressed I get, music so melancholy makes me restless with how dead it is. I want to grab the singers by the shoulders and shake them and smack them in the face to wake them up to life. No matter how good the lyrics are, the feeling of the delivery is softness to the extent of killing any depth or emotional contact. To me that is contrary to the core point of music.

ramyeon

It is hard to get my head around how anyone can enjoy--let alone, as a musician, create--the lifeless, do-nothing music a lot of k-indie seems to produce. When Neon Bunny has more balls than 90% of the scene... yeah, I can't grasp that.
I love that you call it lifeless, it kind of shows that you just don't get it. There's a reason Busker Busker is so popular. Their lyrics and music resonate with people, they are the exact opposite of lifeless and if you're gonna talk about lifeless music I would argue a huge portion of idol music these days is the very definition of lifeless.

90% of the scene huh? I'd be really interested in knowing the groups/artists that you listened to when you came to the conclusion.

Once again we have Dice, thinking that his opinion and taste is the gospel. What's new eh?

Slowdive

Banned

Neon Bunny is one of my favorites, have you tried YUKARI (유카리)? Not massively upbeat but definitely not boring.

ramyeon

Neon Bunny is one of my favorites, have you tried YUKARI (유카리)? Not really upbeat but definitely not boring.
Neon Bunny is probably one of my favourite artists in any genre (I've seen her live several times, so good), Yukari is also one of my top newcomers this year (Along with Oh Hee Jung's solo stuff). But I think Dice is way off on his assumption that 90% of the Korean indie scene is lifeless and boring shit.

Dice

I love that you call it lifeless, it kind of shows that you just don't get it. There's a reason Busker Busker is so popular. Their lyrics and music resonate with people, they are the exact opposite of lifeless and if you're gonna talk about lifeless music I would argue a huge portion of idol music these days is the very definition of lifeless.
To be more clear. No matter how depressed I get, music so melancholy makes me restless with how dead it is. I want to grab the singers by the shoulders and shake them and smack them in the face to wake them up to life. No matter how good the lyrics are, the feeling of the delivery is softness to the extent of killing any depth or emotional contact. To me that is contrary to the core point of music. It isn't about the BPM, it is an issue fundamental to the form of expression.

Once again we have Dice, thinking that his opinion and taste is the gospel. What's new eh?
If you want to think that's it, whatever. Music is waaaaay more than lyrics to me.

Edit: I don't know how else I can say it. I need the connect to what made them write that stuff, and most of the time it isn't there. Sometimes it is, Park Ji Yoon's Tree of Life was my 2012 AOTY. The type of music isn't the issue at hand. As for idol dancepop, that is a different kind of music for a different purpose with different things that make it good, although there are obviously times it crosses boundaries and I will expect something legit from the singers.

ramyeon

To be more clear. No matter how depressed I get, music so melancholy makes me restless with how dead it is. I want to grab the singers by the shoulders and shake them and smack them in the face to wake them up to life. No matter how good the lyrics are, the feeling of the delivery is softness to the extent of killing any depth or emotional contact. To me that is contrary to the core point of music. It isn't about the BPM, it is an issue fundamental to the form of expression.

If you want to think that's it, whatever. Music is waaaaay more than lyrics to me.
Well that's your personal preference man, and I'm not going to argue against that (I think it's needless to say that I disagree with you completely). I'm not trying to convince you to like it, I have absolutely no issue with you disliking Korean indie. I also have no issue with you being vocal about it, but when you say stupid shit like this;
I don't know why Koreans love boring shit so much, it is a great mystery to me. I also assume your girl somehow infected you with this sickness to like boring shit.
and this;
Don't smile at me with your terrible taste in music.
It's just kind of ridiculous. There's a lot of music that gets put on a pedestal here that I think is ridiculous and trash but I understand that people like that. For example, I don't get Crayon Pop, I think they're ridiculous but I accept that people may like them and their music.

Your taste isn't fact, something you like to insinuate as you chuck around your "I'm a musician card" whenever a discussion like this comes up. It's just an opinion. One of many.

My taste is different to yours, I'd appreciate it if you could respect that or at least pretend you do.

Ym1r

Yep, it's true.

I've tried in the past to post about new indie releases but they've mostly been looked over with whatever idol group has a comeback that day or whatever pic spam follows it lol.

Or people like Dice get their panties in a knot because they can't get their head around the fact that not everyone has the same taste as them :)

speaking of indie, I dunno too much about the scene I only know Urban Zakapa, Standing Egg, Busker Busker, J rabbit, and Neon Bunny. Recommend me some?

I'm an acoustic/ballady type of guy not really into the k-pop thing but I like a couple songs here and there. My favorite out of the indies are Urban Zakapa, for ballad singers I really really like Noel as long as they aren't doing their RnB stuff, and 4men.

was randomly browsing youtube for songs and clicked on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FJRQiyzO00
I really liked it, if you've got anything similar please :D

ramyeon

speaking of indie, I dunno too much about the scene I only know Urban Zakapa, Standing Egg, Busker Busker, J rabbit, and Neon Bunny. Recommend me some?

I'm an acoustic/ballady type of guy not really into the k-pop thing but I like a couple songs here and there. My favorite out of the indies are Urban Zakapa, for ballad singers I really really like Noel as long as they aren't doing their RnB stuff, and 4men.

was randomly browsing youtube for songs and clicked on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FJRQiyzO00
Sure man. If you like acoustic then I'd suggest these;

Yozoh

Besweet

Sesame Seed & Cotton Candy

The Black Skirts (Neon Bunny used to be the session keyboardist for the then group, now solo effort).

Han Hee Jung (Particularly her first album)

Broccoli, You Too

There's heaps more, but that should be a pretty good start if you haven't heard of any of these.

Also they're more rock but

3rd Line Butterfly are fucking incredible.

And my friend's friend's band Siberian Husky are lots of fun.

ramyeon

Really loved these three out of the list :D

Thanks!

By the way, I asked before if anybody knew if Urban Zakapa was coming out with anything new and it got drowned by a ton of idol pics, was wondering if you might know? I really love their stuff.
Haven't heard anything specific, they'd be crazy not to since their popularity was pretty much at an all time high at the end of last year/start of this year. A new album before the year is out would be nice.

And those three are all great and all came out with albums recently :) definitely check them out.

Cuddler

A large amount of the pubs/bars in Itaewon employ mostly foreigners, since that's the main clientele.
Thank you, didn't know that, interesting.
Funny story actually.
I went to a bar in Itaewon with a Korean friend who loves foreigners, and there was this Iranian guy working. While I was paying the bill, the poked me from behind and said that if I wanted a job in Korea, he can help me because he has some contacts. We exchanged phone numbers and after a few weeks he texted me about a new place that was hiring.

Although it is in Itaewon, weekdays we basically only receive Koreans. For each 20 Koreans tables, you have 1 foreigner table. But weekends might be different? I don't know.

EDIT: The Iranian guy is actually a FRIEND of the manager, so I think I got lucky. I mentioned his name and automatically got it.
Wow, I wish it was that easy to get a job in Italy, lol.
Why not 2BiC? They do good ballads. :(

Anyway, not an indie, but search for "SG Wanna be", I don't know much or anything about them but I keep reading their name, because Cho Young Soo, the guy who produced(?) some 2BiC songs is the same that produced some of their songs. I've just read on wikipedia that they didn't want to appear in any of their video or promoting on music shows, because they wanted people to focus only on the music, wow. In other news, unfortunately one of their member apparently committed suicide in 2011. :(

Former SG Wannabe member Chae Dong Ha commits suicide - allkpop

Another group that you can probably like is "December", again, I don't know much about them, but one of their member was in an episode of the 2BiC show and they sing well.

Pendulum

I know Mum and Dad have looked upon We Got Married with contempt, but I find it has its charms. Yes, it is fake. Yes, your enjoyment depends on the people involved. Yes, the couples are placed in a temporary glass box and forced into contrived situations, all the while knowing that they are there to do a job and further their career. But compared to the refuse that has pervaded Western "reality" TV, I find it is one of the few shows where regardless of the premise, the two individuals want to get to know one another in some capacity. Watching people meet, communicate, and explore a relationship (not necessarily in the romantic sense) is what, I find, is one of the most fascinating things you can watch. The fear, the joy, the awkwardness, the surprise - all powerful emotions which, regardless of what the couples are ultimately there for or whether they meet up for samgyeopsal after filming, are at some times genuine in WGM.

I haven't steadily watched in a while (a couple of Naeun/Taemin episodes here or there since the early episodes of Sunhwa/Kwanghee) but I am quite enjoying the two new couples. They bring to the show a sense of maturity and capability that contrasts the (at times endearing) fumbling of Naeun and Taemin.

Oh, and Eunji and Key really need their own episodes.

ramyeon

I know Mum and Dad have looked upon We Got Married with contempt, but I find it has its charms. Yes, it is fake. Yes, your enjoyment depends on the people involved. Yes, the couples are placed in a temporary glass box and forced into contrived situations, all the while knowing that they are there to do a job and further their career. But compared to the refuse that has pervaded Western "reality" TV, I find it is one of the few shows where regardless of the premise, the two individuals want to get to know one another in some capacity. Watching people meet, communicate, and explore a relationship (not necessarily in the romantic sense) is what, I find, is one of the most fascinating things you can watch. The fear, the joy, the awkwardness, the surprise - all powerful emotions which, regardless of what the couples are ultimately there for or whether they meet up for samgyeopsal after filming, are at some times genuine in WGM.

I haven't steadily watched in a while (a couple of Naeun/Taemin episodes here or there since the early episodes of Sunhwa/Kwanghee) but I am quite enjoying the two new couples. They bring to the show a sense of maturity and capability that contrasts the (at times endearing) fumbling of Naeun and Taemin.

Oh, and Eunji and Key really need their own episodes.
Come on man, I'm obviously wearing the pants :(

I did enjoy the first season of WGM. I think that was the most charming and genuinely funny season. Before they started introducing "concept couples" and whatnot. I remember Seo In Young and Crown J specifically being really fun to watch.

Dice

And I could enjoy those characteristics of WGM if it weren't for the "oh ho ho IT'S REEEEEAAAAALLLL" excitement everyone gets from the smallest things. Like, I enjoyed R&I because they were legit as fuck about how they only just met this person and had limited capacity to get to know each other and find out if they click well enough to bother contacting each other afterward. It was a very neat show exploring those "give someone a chance" sides of humanity like you say about WGM, just without all the hype-padding and false narrative over way too long of a time. On a long term show it's okay in subtle ways, like Taewoo/Yuri line in Invincible Youth, but a whole show of nothing but maximizing that, even getting commentators and their friends to watch on speculating about stuff? Blleehhhhh... but there I am comparing it to possibly the best show ever made, so that's not exactly fair.

ramyeon

Yo listen to Heureun. She is lovely.
그렇습니까
다가와

She became progressively more electro/synth pop and now she's in this cute duo.

Taru is cool too.
Sometimes she sings in a cutesy high-pitched voice and sometimes she doesn't.

Also DOZ is kinda the best.
Heureun is great, I love both her albums. Really looking forward to Electricity Flowing's EP coming out on October 1st.

I really like Global Citizen and Double Play

Taru is a favourite of mine too, her old stuff with The Melody isn't too shabby either.

Good taste!

ramyeon

This is relevant to you, Standing Egg's new teaser just come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koBXXDjlXfA

Also give 좋아서 하는 밴드 (The Band We're Doing Because We Like It - lol) a shot because they have some really charming stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK2nWjQay6E&list=PLB4YXz_YkOD4cDNiX_sNJX3XZInhgmusA

모임 별 (Star Organization, stylised as Byul.org usually) are also fucking cool if you like electro/dream pop/shoegazey stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdWftTr78U

And for anyone who likes Post Rock then I personally really like 꿈에 카메라를 가져올걸 (I Should Have Brought My Camera to My Dream, stylised as Kumca in English)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC0Iocm6GQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it01LtIOq4s

ramyeon

You'll probably like these girls too, 스웨덴세탁소 (Sweden Laundry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXUmBaRzKS0

And also Milk Tea, who I've posted before (Same video actually), but I think are just so damn adorable. Every song they've done is just lovely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh_Ng4xdBFs

I'm gonna stop spamming links now lol.

caesar

Banned
Funny story actually.

Where do you live? I've been in SK for a month now.

Was basically clubbing in Hongdae for the entirety of Chuseok, the volume of hot chicks is quite something.

Top Bottom