• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Listening to the whole album, they had The Red, then The Velvet, and this is The Cake.

Light, fluffy, not complex, nothing really noteworthy. Fool is easily the best song because while it is simple on the whole, it is so while understanding complementary composition between each component in play. The other tracks either have everything making one thing together in cycle or separates each component into taking turns to do something. It's really boring and safe like that. The best music is like dancing, with each component doing its own thing and they all wave together and around each other.

PInk Tape

Banned
I'll post my thoughts on RR in a bit.

Thanks! And I wouldn't know, really :(

Until recently, I had a friend who's super into k-pop and would send me youtube links throughout the day, and that all got filtered into the handful of groups I like today. Now I'm fending for myself and have no idea where to start.

I know what you mean. I was in the same position you were when I started exploring groups a little over a year ago. It's pretty common, I think.

Following this thread will definitely help you a lot on discovering new songs from soloists and groups both well known and not so well known. Plus there are playlists that you can listen to if you ever really want to explore classic songs and modern stuff that you've missed out on ^^

PInk Tape

Banned
(I guess I'll just post it now lol)

Russian Roulette as a concept is interesting and fits with the quirky weird Red side. It comes across to me as old Tom and Jerry inspired cartoon violence (against each other) wrapped in SM-style wrapping paper. I never expected that this would actually be a K-Pop concept so I’m pleasantly surprised. I liked the new aesthetics they used in the MV especially the cartoon clips, the rainbow frames, and the circle template. I don’t know what this says about me but I laughed at some of the “murder” scenes of this because of how absurd they were. Overall, the MV is really solid and the concept’s great.

The song and album itself, however, is not. It feels like, production and vocal arrangement-wise, it’s been watered down. There are no multi-layered or “cake” songs on this album unlike ICC & The Red; the only song that touches them on some level is “Some Love”. It’s disappointing that SM chose to have RV conform to the standard pop sound instead of pushing the envelope and giving us something quirky song wise. It’s a missed opportunity considering the concept that was chosen and it doesn’t help RV in the long run. Why would I listen to some of the songs on this mini when other groups have done them better in the past? It makes no sense. I will say there are parts of the production that could have made the songs more interesting if they were expanded on or were a part of a new melody altogether. There are glimmers of greatness on here; it’s a shame that it’s delivered in such a safe & sanitary way. It may seem by typing all this out that I absolutely loathe RR; It has grown on me but I believe this is their weakest album yet.

tldr: I find myself confused and disappointed with RR; it’s a standard K-Pop album that could have been so much more. The concept is arguably the best part of this comeback by far.

Songs I’d recommend: Some Love, Bad Dracula, & Fool

llehuty

I honestly don't know why SM decided to go in this direction right after Black Pink's debut. It was the moment to go all in and make a strong comeback... meh.

PALGOU - Hold Me
Glenn Check and somethinng called Discorea coll project unit. It's very Glenn Checky

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It comes across to me as old Tom and Jerry inspired cartoon violence (against each other) wrapped in SM-style wrapping paper.
TBH the cartoon parts are so close to Itchy & Scratchy they could get sued.

I am very disappointed in RR as well, I expected something on par with the ICC mini at least but it didn't even deliver that.

I liked the visuals for the title track but I don't like the song at all so I wont be buying this.

Uhyve

Anyone know what happened to Nugu Who? His videos are all private now and his Soundcloud is empty.

Edit: A Naver copyright claim locked the account apparently, back up now.

llehuty

Anyone know what happened to Nugu Who? His videos are all private now and his Soundcloud is empty.
Wait what??? ;_;

Edit: His facebook is also down. I'm assuming it's not a copyright strike. I hope he posts something on twitter to clarify.

Loci

She looks amazinger.

pfahahahaha, laughed harder than I should have.
·feist·;215994933 said:

Yes.
PALGOU - Hold Me
Glenn Check and somethinng called Discorea coll project unit. It's very Glenn Checky

I like.

Russian Roulette is ... different. Their other stuff was better, yes. But I still like it. And it's a grower, for sure.

llehuty

I guess thats true it just man their YT channel has been inactive for months now not even any of the vlogs they were doing for awhile.
I think they were promoting in japan a couple of weeks ago, I saw some fancams. They are also part of Idolmaster korea, no idea if they are currently recording. I wouldn't worry too much.

PolishQ

I'm a recent K-Pop convert with a small collection (mostly picked up from Chicago's amazing K-Pop store in Chinatown) and I'm curious to hear what you all consider the essential K-Pop ALBUMS from 2010 to present. I tend to like the female groups better but I'm open to anything. Here's what I've got so far:

Brown Eyed Girls - Sixth Sense
Brown Eyed Girls - Black Box
Brown Eyed Girls - Basic
BTS - Dark & Wild
f(x) - Pink Tape
f(x) - Red Light
f(x) - 4 Walls
Girls' Generation - I Got A Boy
IU - Chat-Shire
Red Velvet - The Red
Super Junior - Mamacita
2NE1 - Crush

Ryan_MSF

Thought i'd jump on introducing myself also, I'm relatively new to the scene and have been inundated with incredible music for a while now that i'd never really gone into before, so hey :)

tumblr_msq2khXmMj1qefpsho1_500.gif

Pendulum

안녕하세요, new posters.

I'm curious to hear what you all consider the essential K-Pop ALBUMS from 2010 to present.

This requires some thought and cross checking, but my initial reaction is that one of the essential albums is just before your cut-off date; T-ara's "Absolute First Album" (Nov 27, 2009)

Thought i'd jump on introducing myself also, I'm relatively new to the scene and have been inundated with incredible music for a while now that i'd never really gone into before, so hey :)

tumblr_msq2khXmMj1qefpsho1_500.gif

Oh my god, it's Bizarro Ryan, who posts images of Suzy.

llehuty

I'm a recent K-Pop convert with a small collection (mostly picked up from Chicago's amazing K-Pop store in Chinatown) and I'm curious to hear what you all consider the essential K-Pop ALBUMS from 2010 to present. I tend to like the female groups better but I'm open to anything. Here's what I've got so far:

Brown Eyed Girls - Basic
BTS - Dark & Wild
f(x) - Pink Tape
f(x) - Red Light
f(x) - 4 Walls
IU - Chat-Shire
Red Velvet - The Red
Super Junior - Mamacita
2NE1 - Crush
That's a fantastic collection. Forom the top of my head, I would add:
9muses - Sweet Rendezvous (Mini album, but it's a masterpiece)
Wonder Girls - Wonder World
Wonder Girls - Reboot (Surprised you don't have this one already)
Girls' Generation - The 1st Japanese Album
T-ara - The first absolute album (maybe a bit dated nowadays)
After School - Dressed To Kill (Japanese album, but fantastic anyway)
Dal Shabet - Mr.Bang Bang

In a second tier of albums also worth checking but without classic status

Sunmi - Full Moon
Miss A - Touch
4minute - Volume Up
Shinee - Married to the music
NCT 128 - Sixth Sense
f(x) - Electric Shock
Luna - Free Somebody
EXO - Mama

Kuno

Welcome newbies!

I'm curious to hear what you all consider the essential K-Pop ALBUMS from 2010 to present.

Here are a few more great albums:

T-ara - Breaking Heart (the repackaged version of their first album)
Lee Hyori - Monochrome
Sistar - Give It To Me
Lee Hi - Seoulite
Big Bang - 4th Album Special Edition
FEMM - Femm-Isation (this is actually JPop but trust me)

Peru

Brown Eyed Girls - Basic
BTS - Dark & Wild
f(x) - Pink Tape
f(x) - Red Light
f(x) - 4 Walls
IU - Chat-Shire
Red Velvet - The Red
Super Junior - Mamacita
2NE1 - Crush

BoA - Kiss My Lips
EXID - Ah Yeah / Street
Primary - Primary and the Messengers

More will come to mind

Kazzy

Pendulum

Here's a list of the idols taking part in MBC's Idol Cooking King
EXO's Suho
EXO's Baekhyun
TWICE's Dahyun
TWICE's Momo
VIXX's N
VIXX's Ravi
AOA's Hyejeong
AOA's ChoA
NCT 127's Taeyong
NCT 127's Yuta
Crayon Pop's Choa
Crayon Pop's Way
Hong Daekwang
Fei
Up10tion's Wooshin
WJSN's Eunseo
WJSN's Dayoung
24K's Jinhong
24K's Cory
Oh My Girl's Seunghee
Oh My Girl's Arin
Untouchable's D.Action
Untouchable's Sleepy
SUS4's A-in
SUS4's Hwilin
SUS4's Sanha
Snuper's Sangil
Snuper's Suhyun
Snuper's Sangho
Snuper's Taewoong
Snuper's Sebin
Lovelyz's Kei
Lovelyz's Baby Soul
Lovelyz's Mijoo
Rion Five's Minjae
Rion Five's Royun
Rion Five's Jonghyun
Rion Five's Taewoo
Laboum's Yujeong
Laboum's Soyeon
Laboum's Haein
Laboum's Yulhee
B1A4's Gongchan
B1A4's Sandeul
Ahyul
VROMANCE's Hyunkyu
VROMANCE's Chandong
VROMANCE's Janghyun
VROMANCE's Hyunseok
Berry Good's Sehyung
Berry Good's Taeha
Berry Good's Gowoon
Berry Good's Seoyul
Berry Good's Daye
A-Jax's Hyungkon
A-Jax's Seungyub
A-Jax's Yunyoung
A-Jax's Joonghee
A-Jax's Seungjin
Oh My Girl's Hyojung
Oh My Girl's Jiho
BTS's Jin
Hello Venus's Yoreum
Hello Venus's Seoyoung
Hello Venus's Lime
VIXX's Hyuk
Dal Shabet's Ahyoung
Dal Shabet's Subin
Bigstar's Sunghak
Bigstar's Jude
Bigstar's Raehwan
Brave Girls's Yoojeong
Brave Girls's Yuna
Brave Girls's Minyoung
Brave Girls's Yoojin
Brave Girls's Hyeran
Brave Girls's Hayun
NCT 127's Taeil
NCT 127's Mark
Lovelyz's Jisoo
Lovelyz's Soojung
BTOB's Eunkwang
BTOB's Sungjae
Laboum's ZN
Laboum's Solbin
NU'EST's Ren
NU'EST's Aron
Tahiti's Jerry
Tahiti's Ari
Tahiti's Miso
Tahiti's Minjae
Tahiti's Jisoo
VIXX's Hongbin
Melody Day's Yoomin
Melody Day's Yeo-eun
Melody Day's Yein
Melody Day's Chahee
Up10tion's Hwanhee
Sonamoo's Sumin
Sonamoo's Euijin
Up10tion's Kuhn
Up10tion's Gyujin
TWICE's Jihyo
TWICE's Sana
Rion Five's Yoosung
Rion Five's Kangsan
Crayon Pop's Gum Mi
Crayon Pop's Ellen
UNIQ's Seungyoun
UNIQ's Sungjoo
Bestie's Hyeyeon
Bestie's U-Ji
VIXX's Ken
Two X's Surin
Two X's Eun
Park Boram
NCT 127's Jaehyun
Secret's Hana
Up10tion's Sunyoul
Up10tion's Wei
Playback's Hayoung
Playback's Woolim
Playback's Yena
Playback's Soyoon
24K's Hongseob
24K's Hui
Crayon Pop's Soyul
Dal Shabet's Woohee
Dal Shabet's Serri
VIXX's Leo
Lovelyz's Jiae
Lovelyz's Jin
Up10tion's Bitto
Nine Muses A's Sojin
Nine Muses A's Hyemi
VAV's Gyeoul
VAV's Zehan
I.B.I's Hyeri
Wassup's Woojoo
Wassup's Nari
Wassup's Dain
Stellar's Hyoeun
Stellar's Minhee
Sistar's Soyou
BEATWIN's Sunhyeok
BEATWIN's Yoonhoo
BEATWIN's Seongho
BEATWIN's Youngjo
BEATWIN's Jungha
Gavy NJ's Jenny
Gavy NJ's Seorin
Gavy NJ's Gunji
Snuper's Woosung
Stellar's Jeonyul
Stellar's Gayoung
Up10tion's Jinhoo
Up10tion's Kogyeol
Up10tion's Xiao
Oh My Girl's YooA
Oh My Girl's Binnie
Oh My Girl's Mimi
Kangnam
Matilda's Haena
Matilda's Semmi
Matilda's Dana
Matilda's Saebyeol
VAV's Jacob
VAV's St. Van
VAV's Baron
VAV's ACE
T-ara's Eunjung
T-ara's Hyomin
NU'EST's Baekho
NU'EST's JR
NU'EST's Minhyun
Lovelyz's Yein
SPICA's Jiwon
SPICA's Narae
SPICA's Boa
SPICA's Bohyung
SPICA's Sihyun
MASC's Woosoo
MASC's 26
4TEN's Hyejin
4TEN's Hyeji
Boys Republic's One Jun
Boys Republic's Sunwoo
Boys Republic's Sungjun
Boys Republic's Minsu
Boys Republic's Suwoong
FLASHE's Goun
FLASHE's Narae
FLASHE's Yeji
FLASHE's SuA
INX's Sangho
INX's Jinam
INX's Bonkuk
INX's Junyong
INX's Win
Fiestar's Hyemi
Fiestar's Jei
ZE:A's Kwanghee
EXID's Solji
EXID's Hyerin
24K's Jeonguk
24K's Changsun
24K's Kisu
WABLE's Girim
WABLE's Pureum
MASC's Heejae
MASC's ACE
D.Holic's Rena
D.Holic's Hwajung
D.Holic's EJ
Two X's Jiu
Two X's Eunyoung
DinDin

Kazzy

Oh, I just saw it. Whenever someone posts kpop in OT it follows these rules:

1.- It's never by someone from this community.
2.- It's an awful song..
3.- People desperately tries to post good kpop (and it's most of the tames still bad) when the people left in the thread are there just to trash everything.

You could pretty much exchange this for anything on GAF that has a community based around it. Not to take anything away your points, but it all has a crushing inevitability about it.

I will say that my eyebrows were raised at a few actually making halfway salient points, regarding about the levels of cultural appropriation that goes on within South Korea.

Thought, it's not really the venue for it, and it's a shame that those type of threads largely exist as avenues for GAF to post their collective prejudices.

But this also gave me a chance to listen to the track properly - it was totally what I was expecting. Generic, but I'll admit it was never going to win me over. And can you really dislike someone for trying too hard? I guess I am...

Time to listen to some BlackPink, before I get consumed by all this negativeness!

llehuty

Lots of labels owed an MBC PD favors it seems.
Half of that lineup is the nuguest nugus, so I don't know who owed favours to who.

Let's cellebrrate that Sus4, Berry Good, Tahiti, Playback, Matilda, Flashee and D.Holic are still alive.

Surprised that A-jax are still alive. What types of contracts does DSP do? Their last release was almost 3 years ago.

Rooster12

Oh, I just saw it. Whenever someone posts kpop in OT it follows these rules:

1.- It's never by someone from this community.
2.- It's an awful song..
3.- People desperately tries to post good kpop (and it's most of the tames still bad) when the people left in the thread are there just to trash everything.

And then someone complaining how they met some racist ass dudes in Korea and somehow linking that to K-Pop, as if that has anything to do with the music.

R750x0

Welcome new posters. Feel free to contribute and share your thoughts on a range of topics.

If you haven't already, check out the OP of this thread, put together by No No Eul. Good source for recommendations.

160907 Red Velvet 레드벨벳 Weekly Idol 주간 아이돌 ep 267
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
Youtube Uploader said:
Published on Sep 7, 2016
WILL REUPLOAD WITH BETTER QUALITY & ENG SUB LATER
160907 Red Velvet 레드벨벳 Weekly Idol 주간 아이돌 episode 267
R750x0

I'm so glad to see so many recommendations to the other new peeps for T-ara's first album. I picked it up (well, Breaking Heart anyway) because of Bo Peep and I don't think there's a skippable track on there.

What's everyone think of FIESTAR? I love Apple Pie and One More, but everything else I hear from them seems meh. Same goes for SISTAR and I Like That.

I'm so glad to see so many recommendations to the other new peeps for T-ara's first album. I picked it up (well, Breaking Heart anyway) because of Bo Peep and I don't think there's a skippable track on there.

What's everyone think of FIESTAR? I love Apple Pie and One More, but everything else I hear from them seems meh. Same goes for SISTAR and I Like That.

It comes down to Jei vs Cao Lu

Boss Mog

tumblr_nfja5ofRiB1t0b7dco1_500.gif

Just saw some of the SNSD girls on "Better Late Than Never" on NBC. Kinda surreal seeing them during primetime on a major network. The dudes are in South Korea for this episode. William Shatner tackling/laying on top of Hyoyeon will be a gif.

EDIT: Oh wow. Yeah. That is not my favorite RV single. I dig Irene's look though.

I saw that and I noticed something. They showed a ton of clips from the Gee music video and Jessica is never even slightly visible on any of them, even the group shots. I can't believe how anal they are about that shit. I swear if SM could go erase her out of all MVs without it looking weird in the video or lose view count they would.

I don't really get that mentality of making it like former members never existed. Even if they parted ways on bad terms it's not right to not acknowledge that Jessica was part of the group for 7 years and her contributions during that time. I'm not even a fan of Jessica, one of my least favorite members tbh, but still I hate that kind of attitude. I haven't watched Slam Dunk since they kicked Fany off. Do the other Unnies make believe that she was never a part of the show?

Boss Mog

I have some groups like that where I only like one song. Girl's Day is a good example. I'm not of fan of any of their songs except "Something" which is one of my favorite Kpop songs.

Kazzy

Boss★Moogle;216235809 said:
I have some groups like that where I only like one song. Girl's Day is a good example. I'm not of fan of any of their songs except "Something" which is one of my favorite Kpop songs.

Yeah, don't be afraid to be fickle with your selections. Some artists can make great stuff, and then concepts, etc, change - which kind of leaves you out in the cold sometimes.

Speaking of which, this. new Red Velvet track is beginning to make me worry that I may not like them if they continue on this trajectory. I was so happy with the unexpectedness that was 'Ice Cream Cake', and I've never quite felt as much attachment to any of their output since. But that goodwill, it's strong!

Eh, it wouldn't be the worst thing to go through everything again...

Top Bottom