• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

K-Pop Fanboy/Fangirl |OT7| A Great Trash Leader as Always

JohnCYQ

Happy 8th year anniversary. <3

CskO9wNUkAAbbvF.jpg

CskRnf0UIAAgDOk.jpg

CskPfJIUIAAL4X0.jpg

CskO1G6XYAEwvhl.jpg

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Hello K-pop GAF. I have a question -- I don't know hardly-anything about K-pop. It always seem to me like it's always had an R&B vibe with a somewhat mainstream pop infusion; I'm describing the sound here purely. I won't get to much into the videos and choreography styles of the dancing therein other then saying it bares relevance to my question in a way I'm not sure I can articulate.

The crus of my of my question/observation is similar to a thing that happened a few years back where a film director or some writer was accused of ripping of Halo in one of his more recent works and he unabashedly said something to the affect of "It's okay because Halo was derivative of my earlier work."

So I present to you this video of this year's promotional video of the LA County Fair 2016 which up until tonight, I've only heard on the radio with the catch phrase "Dare to Fair". The thing is that the music would come on at the beginning of the radio commercial and it sounded catchy but I would never pay too much attention at anything said in the commercial other than the catch phrase nor did I hear the catch phrase enunciated properly. I literally thought a K-pop band was going to be headlining this year's LA Fair which got me thinking "Geeze! K-pop is getting huge in the states -- this sounds catchy -- let me look it up for more info."

after a little searching, I finally saw the video and everything really began to clear up on my wild assumptions. But I was left with some lingering thoughts such as:
  • Didn't that sound really K-pop-y though?
  • The dancing and even the rapping sounded derivative of K-pop

Question to you'll: Does this video (sound and dance) feel derivative of K-pop? To be clear, I have no intentions of using the word derivative with any negative connotations here.

Video Link (again for TL;DR): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElwZPpOD_7k

No No Eul

Sound-wise, I'd say it doesn't really bear any similarities to the current era of mainstream K-pop. Certainly not the kind of songs that are released as title tracks or singles.

As for the dancing, K-pop choreography tends to be more intense and precise, but then the women in that video are on rollerskates so it's rather unfair to compare the two in the first place.

Well k-pop in general is pretty referential of all kinds of pop-music, but true that music video doesn't scream 'k-pop' to me either. I think a good example of something that reminds me of k-pop in Western music is 'Fleur East - Sax' . It's the production value and the over-the-topness of it all with the styling and choreo (even though that mv looks cheap).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
That 90s rnb sound was pretty prevalent in the early k-pop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmTLDtr4qY

Well k-pop in general is pretty referential of all kinds of pop-music, but true that music video doesn't scream 'k-pop' to me either. I think a good example of something that reminds me of k-pop in Western music is 'Fleur East - Sax' . It's the production value and the over-the-topness of it all with the styling and choreo (even though that mv looks cheap).

WOW! Both of your posts have extremely good examples of what I was struggling to put together in the video I saw. I almost feel like if someone was to watch both of your videos and then asked to make a video that derived from both, given some random theme, the video I posted might be apt.

Thanks for posting this as it helps me parse out the sound was from a bygone era of R&B Pop. I'm still trying to unpackage the rap sound but its default for me to come up with any hip hop example that didn't overlay R&B with much less melodic flow than this without completely diverging from the vibe I get from this video. It's like Brandy-era R&B with ??? (what) type of rapper... I'm overthinking this but I find it interesting none the less.

Demoskinos

I know they just got finished with their debut and initial media tour but goddamn am I thirsty for more Blackpink. Been listening to Taeyeon again. Up and Down is a really great track.

Broank

I know they just got finished with their debut and initial media tour but goddamn am I thirsty for more Blackpink. Been listening to Taeyeon again. Up and Down is a really great track.

^ I still listen to Good Thing quite a bit. Really hope they release the live album band version from her concerts.

Been away from Kpop for a few weeks. Russian Roulette isn't really what I expected, kinda weird but I guess that's RV in a nutshell. I do like it although I don't know if I would listen to it a bunch.

Happy Birthday Cherry Doll
Alien
Yooa

tumblr_ocrvgjblxf1ru7ynusv.gif

tumblr_oc0vzspmxw1vdtacu9i.gif

ezgif-39685651m0ur7.gif

ultra7k

WOW! Both of your posts have extremely good examples of what I was struggling to put together in the video I saw. I almost feel like if someone was to watch both of your videos and then asked to make a video that derived from both, given some random theme, the video I posted might be apt.

Thanks for posting this as it helps me parse out the sound was from a bygone era of R&B Pop. I'm still trying to unpackage the rap sound but its default for me to come up with any hip hop example that didn't overlay R&B with much less melodic flow than this without completely diverging from the vibe I get from this video. It's like Brandy-era R&B with ??? (what) type of rapper... I'm overthinking this but I find it interesting none the less.

not sure if it's what you're looking for, but are you taking about something like Brandy and Mase or Brandy & LL Cool J?

Brandy & Mase
Brandy & LL Cool J

ramyeon

kpop and double Z is good combination =)
Haha can't get much better!

---

New Clazziquai is good but their early work set the bar so high for me that nothing else after that has ever been the same. Average Clazziquai is still better than most stuff though.

I think Kwon Jin Ah's debut is gonna get a lot of airplay from me, really enjoying it and I'm glad she didn't just end up doing ballads.

milkham

I'm scrolling through YouTube and come across some Korean TV show called "Cool Kiz on the block." Of course, you guys remember the short lived group Gang Kiz... I'm wondering if this is some kind of phonetic issue with the word "kids," or if the person coming up with these names is just some kind of edgelord. Any ideas?

Pendulum

So I believe there is 1 episode left in Girl Spirit (as a top 4 (2 from each team) has been revealed).

Overall score across multiple episodes said:
Team A 1st Place:
-------- Lovelyz's Kei - 900 --------
Team A 2nd Place:
Oh My Girl's Seunghee - 801.5
Team B 1st Place:
--------- Bestie's Uji - 901 ---------
Team B 2nd Place:
Spica's Kim Bo Hyung - 823.5

And there's a Wild Card to be added.

No No Eul

Two new Chinese trainees in SM Rookies. Ning Ning and Yiyang:

So does this mean we'll be getting a new girl group from SM fairly soon-ish then? I haven't paid that much attention to the SM Rookies project but as a casual observer, it seems like the time between being revealed as an SM Rookie and actually debuting in a group is relatively short, like a year or so.

Also, I wonder if SM's next girl group will be unit-based like NCT.

It seems that Cosmic Girl is Jooyi of ex-Rania fame.

Crayon Pop said:

llehuty

So does this mean we'll be getting a new girl group from SM fairly soon-ish then? I haven't paid that much attention to the SM Rookies project but as a casual observer, it seems like the time between being revealed as an SM Rookie and actually debuting in a group is relatively short, like a year or so.
Not really. Some of the rookies unveiled on 2013, haven't debuted yet, and some of them (the NCT guys) just debuted this year.

Edit: Top of page with some Dal Shabet comeback hype:

Top Bottom