• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

I think the new map is too crowded. It certainly is pretty and I like the air vents but we need more room to move around. Games turn into a grenade/turret battle.

Grinchy

Banned
The new map is pretty sweet. I played a few matches on it just trying to boost air drones for the most part. I like the layout, but it does feel a little crowded. When you are going in to set a bomb, the area it's in can be quite the clusterfuck. I have to give it more time though. I didn't particularly like the last 2 maps at first but after playing them more they are some of my favorites.

Grinchy

Banned
How is the lag these days? Tempted to hop back in since BF4 didn't do much for me.

It's fixed for me. They also added some identifying info so you can at least get an idea of what's going on lag-wise. They show how many bars you have along with a whole page in the settings screen that has info on your ping and other stuff (I seem to always have 5 bars and a 33 ms ping). It also tells you what region the server is in that you're playing on.

So now you might see one guy lagging like hell, but at least you know it's just him.

Grinchy

Banned
FUCKING FINALLY!

killzonesucksmgjky.jpg

After "only" 122 hours of playing online, I finally got this stupid trophy. The buddy drone and air drone almost made me hate this game forever. The buddy drone was especially horrid. But it's finally done and now I can play classes/loadouts that I actually enjoy again.

FUCKING FINALLY!

After "only" 122 hours of playing online, I finally got this stupid trophy. The buddy drone and air drone almost made me hate this game forever. The buddy drone was especially horrid. But it's finally done and now I can play classes/loadouts that I actually enjoy again.

Congrats Grinchy! I could never have eh patience for that.

Grinchy

Banned
^Thanks, it was mostly fun to go after but the more tedious abilities are just so stupid to have such high counts needed to max them out. It just got to the point where I was getting to close to finishing that I didn't want to give up on it.

leng jai

^Thanks, it was mostly fun to go after but the more tedious abilities are just so stupid to have such high counts needed to max them out. It just got to the point where I was getting to close to finishing that I didn't want to give up on it.

They actually lowered the count for a lot abilities in the last patch.

Grinchy

Banned
They actually lowered the count for a lot abilities in the last patch.

Yeah that's the only reason I was able to finish the buddy drone. It was my second to last ability to max out and I was so happy when I saw that I got to do 100 less kills with it.

They should have reduced the count for air drones as well, but it is still 400.

Grinchy

Banned
There is a new patch tonight and the framerate feels significantly improved. Gonna play some more matches to make sure. 24 player feels like it's running better than 14 player did at launch.

leng jai

I had to delete my game and reinstall/download everything for it to work. The revamped scoreboard is much better as it now splits the teams up (how did this take over 6 months?). It also shows your deaths now too even for Warzone.

GoaThief

It also shows your deaths now too even for Warzone.
Not sure I like this, places more emphasis on deathmatch skills rather than objective play. My KDR is barely breaking even as I'll gladly accept many repeat deaths to hold a point or push for a flag capture, or even just to get a fresh supply of ammo when a spawn beacon or support is nearby.

From previous experience with objective based multiplayer I've noticed that games which show deaths on the scoreboard seem to have less cooperative team play.

Forgot to add I'd like to see something done about pubstompers which plague this game. I've stopped playing so much because of it. It's happened so many times where you're stuck in classic warzone or similar with a clan on the opposite side versus literally two or three randoms and the group refuse to use the switch function and just carry on regardless or even gloat in PM or voice chat at the end of the match. It's not like you can select a different server to join so you'll be thrown back in 9/10 times, have to play a different game mode, or just play a different game entirely. Auto balance at the very least is needed, this can be turned off on the 5v5 competitive mode.

The above wasn't really a problem before due to the large player base but now it's much smaller it's a huge issue. More and more will leave the game and a fair few of the regulars will be left wondering why when the reasons for people leaving are largely their own doing.

Shame, as the game is pretty good.

leng jai

Not sure I like this, places more emphasis on deathmatch skills rather than objective play. My KDR is barely breaking even as I'll gladly accept many repeat deaths to hold a point or push for a flag capture, or even just to get a fresh supply of ammo when a spawn beacon or support is nearby.

From previous experience with objective based multiplayer I've noticed that games which show deaths on the scoreboard seem to have less cooperative team play.

Forgot to add I'd like to see something done about pubstompers which plague this game. I've stopped playing so much because of it. It's happened so many times where you're stuck in classic warzone or similar with a clan on the opposite side versus literally two or three randoms and the group refuse to use the switch function and just carry on regardless or even gloat in PM or voice chat at the end of the match. It's not like you can select a different server to join so you'll be thrown back in 9/10 times, have to play a different game mode, or just play a different game entirely. Auto balance at the very least is needed, this can be turned off on the 5v5 competitive mode.

The above wasn't really a problem before due to the large player base but now it's much smaller it's a huge issue. More and more will leave the game and a fair few of the regulars will be left wondering why when the reasons for people leaving are largely their own doing.

Shame, as the game is pretty good.

Pub stomping is rife among certain clans and that's why you see people with ridiculous Win/Loss ratios of 5+.

leng jai

Hey guys, I haven't played KZ since the hangar map came out... Can someone summarise anything else that's been added since? Thanks so much!

New map: Canyon
New DLC pack with a new class (insurgent) and new weapons including the M82.
Revamped scoreboard which actually separates the teams now and also displays deaths (even in Warzone).
Shotgun has been been gimped.
Graphics are slightly less blurry.
Reduced quantity requirements for some challenges.

Think that's about it.

New map: Canyon
New DLC pack with a new class (insurgent) and new weapons including the M82.
Revamped scoreboard which actually separates the teams now and also displays deaths (even in Warzone).
Shotgun has been been gimped.
Graphics are slightly less blurry.
Reduced quantity requirements for some challenges.

Think that's about it.

Oooh... Could you tell me more about the new class and weapons?

And it's not the breacher that's been gimped right?

Oooh... Could you tell me more about the new class and weapons?

And it's not the breacher that's been gimped right?

http://www.killzone.com/en_US/blog/news/2014-04-01_killzone-shadow-fall-insurgent-pack-out-today.html

The linked article talks about a new ability for each of the original three classes, as well as some new weapons and game modes, but I'll quote the new class info:

the insurgent
The Insurgent is a brand new multiplayer class with two unique abilities: Steal and Hack.

Steal ability: The Insurgent starts out with only a pistol, but his ‘Steal’ ability allows him to swipe weapons and abilities from downed enemies. The use of stolen abilities is limited, but the Insurgent can continue to use stolen weapons throughout the game – even if he falls in combat.

Hack ability: By using the ‘Hack’ ability, the Insurgent can change enemy ground automata into friendlies, swiftly turning the tide of battle.

Korten

Banned
Hey is there something wrong with multi? I tried to play with my friend, however the person who joined the party would crash as we joined a game.

So if I joined his party, I would crash, and if he joined my game, he would crash...

Grinchy

Banned
Hey is there something wrong with multi? I tried to play with my friend, however the person who joined the party would crash as we joined a game.

So if I joined his party, I would crash, and if he joined my game, he would crash...

That was happening to my brother and me last night. I assumed it was my router acting up again. It's kinda good to hear it isn't our issue.

Maybe the firmware broke something?

torontoml

Had the same problem a few nights ago, we had a party of like 5, but only one person would get in the game and it would crash for everyone else, plus they would all get kicked from the party.

Grinchy

Banned
^Well at least we know we won't get stuck with nothing but 32 player Radec Academy since the game no longer has 32 people online at the same time.

well it dropped with the Destiny Beta

maybe these new maps will add more players

I for one say GG should spinoff the MP as a separate version... even make it free for PS+ if they have too

Grinchy

Banned
well it dropped with the Destiny Beta

maybe these new maps will add more players

I for one say GG should spinoff the MP as a separate version... even make it free for PS+ if they have too

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing for a while now.

Make the MP f2p, charge for voice packs and character/gun skins. Get that playerbase back up and get people interested in Killzone. That'll help sell a ton more co-op expansions. And it'll also help fill out some of the lesser played game modes. When only 400 people are online, your choices are TDM, Warzone, and not playing.

When is the coop DLC hitting? The best I can track down is vague 'late June'

Kinda hoping this will will reboot my interest in this game. . .

It'll be 'free' for me because I foolishly bought a season pass lol. Right?
You specifically bought this co-op mode, as its the only known quantity described with the season pass, so I just can't use the word free, like at all. Its only as free as the last thing you directly paid for.

But yes, since you paid for it already you don't need to pay for it again ;p

It'll also be sold as a standalone game in a few months, for those who don't plan on picking up Shadowfall.

Grinchy

Banned
^The insurgent class DLC was included in the season pass as well but I guess that adds up to $20 anyway.

It's really only going to be $10? I don't know if I should be happy about that or worried that it's more barebones than what I was expecting.

It's really only going to be $10? I don't know if I should be happy about that or worried that it's more barebones than what I was expecting.
Yeah, its hard to tell, but could they really charge more for it? Actually, I guess they will charge more once its sold as a standalone game.

As far as I can tell, its four maps total in Intercept, with six maps to come down the line, though I'm not sure if those six maps are Intercept specific or a mix of co-op and competitive maps - like the retro ones.

There seems to be a progression system and unlocks and leaderboards but haven't seen any real details on that stuff.

Edit: So I guess there is only one mode here, and its Capture and Hold with three points on the map? Hype deflating as this really doesn't seem like a mode that will be enjoyable without a full squad, and even then that solitary mode will get old. It doesn't seem to offer anything different than the competitive side, with its several Capture and Hold objectives, except that in competitive you can play offline, solo or with buddies against bots, and completely customize the ruleset.

Am starting to get a bad feeling about this, especially considering how little detailed coverage there is out there.

MADGAME

Yeah, its hard to tell, but could they really charge more for it? Actually, I guess they will charge more once its sold as a standalone game.

As far as I can tell, its four maps total in Intercept, with six maps to come down the line, though I'm not sure if those six maps are Intercept specific or a mix of co-op and competitive maps - like the retro ones.

There seems to be a progression system and unlocks and leaderboards but haven't seen any real details on that stuff.

Edit: So I guess there is only one mode here, and its Capture and Hold with three points on the map? Hype deflating as this really doesn't seem like a mode that will be enjoyable without a full squad, and even then that solitary mode will get old. It doesn't seem to offer anything different than the competitive side, with its several Capture and Hold objectives, except that in competitive you can play offline, solo or with buddies against bots, and completely customize the ruleset.

Am starting to get a bad feeling about this, especially considering how little detailed coverage there is out there.

Thanks for the link. When I weed out the reviewer's opinions, I still like the sound of the facts of this mode. Without having personally played, it sounds like a crisis-situation mode that can only be conquered by a tight-working team. Also, the reviewer didn't mention facing any of the bosses/special ability Helghast mentioned in the PS blog or much details about the maps.

I do agree with your skepticism regarding lack of coverage.

leng jai

Played my first game in over a month yesterday. TDM on The Penthouse. First few minutes okay until my team started dominating. The other team spent the last half of the round camping at the top of the stairs and spamming spider mines. Good to see nothing has changed.

Fuck this community.

Played my first game in over a month yesterday. TDM on The Penthouse. First few minutes okay until my team started dominating. The other team spent the last half of the round camping at the top of the stairs and spamming spider mines. Good to see nothing has changed.

Fuck this community.

:(

Grinchy

Banned

Fuck this community.

People are so incredibly stupid. The Penthouse is one of the easiest maps to beat spawn camping on. Yet, 80% of the losing team's players will just run down that same flight of stairs over and over again for the entire round.

They must be huge fans of the Lemmings series.

People are so incredibly stupid. The Penthouse is one of the easiest maps to beat spawn camping on. Yet, 80% of the losing team's players will just run down that same flight of stairs over and over again for the entire round.
I've been playing my own custom botzone matches for kicks lately, and to learn the layout of the maps better - mostly because of the beacon objectives not showing where your own damn team beacon spawns in order to defend it, but anyway...

I was playing a few matches on Penthouse and looking around and holy god damn is that map littered with all kinds of ways to get around - almost all of which I had no idea about until just a few days ago. Right from the first spawn, you can turn around and there are two ladders that lead from your dropship platform to your main "base" below. From the same spawn, the two main areas on the left and right not only have ladders and scaffolding along the outside walls to climb down, but also ziplines to the two bases, and either a skylight to drop down to the conference room table below on one side, or a side passage to drop down from the bar, or even the vent above that to reach the rotating central chamber.

And that's all besides the staircase - and even then I figured one team had the circular staircase while the other had the two exposed flights - and now - duh - I realize that the two flights of stairs are just to the side of the circular staircase.

Every level is filled with so much detail, and so damn much artistry, I don't know why GG hasn't gotten more accolades.

Edit: BTW, found the archive of that Intercept Q&A from Friday here. Actually renewed my interest in the mode, as the scoring seems like its designed in such a way that even a team of two could stand a decent chance. Three seems to be the sweet spot, with a fourth player as a nice addition. They also spoke of a single player version, thats a training mode, but still has its own leaderboards, so that could be fun. Last bit: I guess I should've known better, but they clarified that the six maps to come for Intercept will be free just as all of the normal multiplayer maps have been. Very nice :)

I've been playing my own custom botzone matches for kicks lately, and to learn the layout of the maps better - mostly because of the beacon objectives not showing where your own damn team beacon spawns in order to defend it, but anyway...

I was playing a few matches on Penthouse and looking around and holy god damn is that map littered with all kinds of ways to get around - almost all of which I had no idea about until just a few days ago. Right from the first spawn, you can turn around and there are two ladders that lead from your dropship platform to your main "base" below. From the same spawn, the two main areas on the left and right not only have ladders and scaffolding along the outside walls to climb down, but also ziplines to the two bases, and either a skylight to drop down to the conference room table below on one side, or a side passage to drop down from the bar, or even the vent above that to reach the rotating central chamber.

And that's all besides the staircase - and even then I figured one team had the circular staircase while the other had the two exposed flights - and now - duh - I realize that the two flights of stairs are just to the side of the circular staircase.

Every level is filled with so much detail, and so damn much artistry, I don't know why GG hasn't gotten more accolades.

It's too unconventional to catch on. I really liked the campaign too, I thought it was a great throwback to some old school type level and encounter design but it gets so much hate. I think the shooter audience at large has just gotten really entrenched in the one thing it likes, complains that it's the same thing every year but rejects anything that makes them need to learn new playstyle.

KZ series multi is amazing if both teams know what they're doing and are coordinated, but it completely breaks down if even half a team is a bunch of idiots. People just want to spawn, run forward, shoot something, maybe kill it, probably die, and repeat. You can tell, because ever since KZ2 you can join a match and if there isn't anyone coordinated, you could orchestrate a win as tactition. Just place flanking spawns on rotation. I think GG realized this too, they tried to fix it in KZ3 making the fixed spawn captures.

The mechanics in SF multi are great, framerate is the best the series has ever had, and overall the game is pretty fantastic. It's just that every match is so lopsided and they just didn't have the right clan and chat support at launch. If they had the same kind of clan support as KZ2 and that amazing proximity chat mechanic, I think there would have been a possibility of more organized groups facing off and just better quality of matches. GG patched stuff in but with new games constantly coming out with huge advertising you just don't really get a second chance if you botch accessibility up front.

I really hope the series survives without losing the class based abilities based aspect. Maybe having some kind of ai commander that would issue commands to individuals to do things like put up spawns, or target turrets or change class etc. with some incentive during the matches so people know what they should or could be doing.

Top Bottom