• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thats what happens when you get conditioned to the weightless crack rat gameplay style of Hamster Wheel of Duty.

X-Frame

I need to work on the air support drone kill challenges before everyone unlocks the missile launcher attachment, though they don't have much health anyway, and seem to last longer on games with less players.

SeanR1221

Ok played a few rounds and it's growing on me.

On the support class, what's the air gadget do? I threw out some box and then nothing.

Had a lot of fun running circles around people with the speed boost ability and shotgunning them in the face.

I've been playing classic warzones and have been switching between a bunch of different loadouts based on the objective. If the objective is S&D: Attack, I go support with spawn beacons. If it's defend, I go support turret. If it's beacon retrieval, I go assault speed boost. Deathmatch, I go 1 shot sniper mode. Capture and hold, I just choose a loadout based on our team setup.

Honestly, all three classes have been fun to play as.

X-Frame

Ok played a few rounds and it's growing on me.

On the support class, what's the air gadget do? I threw out some box and then nothing.

Calls in an air support sentry that will defend an area. They're pretty deadly actually, and if one finds you out in the open it can do a lot of damage and kill relatively quickly. They're also good for scouting, alerting you of an enemy nearby and what direction they are in from where the air sentry is aiming.

Suggestions for using one is to not try and throw them directly in the center of the action, they might do some damage for a bit but they'll be more likely to get destroyed quickly as everyone will see it and shoot at it. Instead, smaller outside areas that possibly have cover on either side to give it some protection and blocking some of its field of view, and on the outskirts of a map work great too. For example, if you're defending an area in Search & Destroy, don't throw the air sentry right ontop of the bomb, but off to a side. It'll still have range to attack a bomb planter but they will last longer that way and enemies won't expect them in these areas.

The same general tips apply to the ground turret at all. Place in corners, as far back against a wall or structure as possible to avoid enemies sneaking behind it and dismantling it quickly. They have about a 30 degree field of view so make sure they are pointing in the best direction. They do a lot of damage as well.

Sony needs to fucking mandate this shit with devs if they want people to take PSN seriously. you can't release a team based mp shooter in 2013 on a next gen console and not think to include fucking voice chat

SeanR1221

Calls in an air support sentry that will defend an area. They're pretty deadly actually, and if one finds you out in the open it can do a lot of damage and kill relatively quickly. They're also good for scouting, alerting you of an enemy nearby and what direction they are in from where the air sentry is aiming.

Suggestions for using one is to not try and throw them directly in the center of the action, they might do some damage for a bit but they'll be more likely to get destroyed quickly as everyone will see it and shoot at it. Instead, smaller outside areas that possibly have cover on either side to give it some protection and blocking some of its field of view, and on the outskirts of a map work great too. They will last longer that way and enemies won't expect them in these areas.

The same general tips apply to the ground turret at all. Place in corners, as far back against a wall or structure as possible to avoid enemies sneaking behind it and dismantling it quickly. They have about a 30 degree field of view so make sure they are pointing in the best direction. They do a lot of damage as well.

I'm still confused though. Does a person have to be in it's proximity to trigger it? Like I said I threw out a box and nothing happened.

I'm still confused though. Does a person have to be in it's proximity to trigger it? Like I said I threw out a box and nothing happened.
The box acts as the center of it's defend area. Basically you throw the box, then a few seconds later the air drone arrives and starts defending around that box. If no one is nearby, it'll just chill out around the box. If someone is nearby, it'll start shooting.

It takes awhile for the drone to get to the box, it's not instant. If it never came, then you may of thrown the box in an inaccessible location for the drone which has been a minor problem in past Killzone games.

X-Frame

Whoops, edited my post a little bit before you quoted it.

Also, no you don't need to be in proximity of it. It is possible that you threw it out but the air sentry didn't have room to be summoned. I know when you throw, the line arc is red or green. If it's green, it means the spot you have aimed at is good for the sentry to arrive. I am not 100% on that though, I feel like I've thrown it when the line was red sometimes and nothing happened too, though maybe I am wrong and wasn't paying attention on all the factors.

I'd try again, and just lookout for the color of the line when you throw it. I've thrown it out many times and it called in the air sentry to protect an area.

Is there in game chat and party system?
No "in game chat" but cross game personal chat still works just as well. As far as a party system, I didn't see one. There is a moment before matches were you can invite friends, but I didn't see a Halo like party system, unless it's hidden. Which wouldn't be surprising as the multiplayer UI is dreadfully over designed and a clusterfuck for the eyeballs.

Violater

No "in game chat" but cross game personal chat still works just as well. As far as a party system, I didn't see one. There is a moment before matches were you can invite friends, but I didn't see a Halo like party system, unless it's hidden. Which wouldn't be surprising as the multiplayer UI is dreadfully over designed and a clusterfuck for the eyeballs.

These are things I wish were actually brought to our attention before release.
How can a MP shooter ship in 2013 without a party system or voice chat?
Half the fun I have is getting online and shooting the shit with complete strangers.

Half the fun I have is getting online and shooting the shit with complete strangers.
That is pretty weird. No it's just wrong. Please fix this Guerilla. I'm dutch. I want to vloek.

Jonboy

If you start a party chat from the main PS4 with Killzone open in the background, you can hop right back to KZ. All those in your party (with the game also open) will come with you. You can chat, of course.

As far as I know, there is no chat outside of parties, although GG is listening to feedback and will consider adding it.

gatisimo

Yeah, the lack of voice is a huge disappointment for me. I don't have many PSN friends, so I'm usually lone-wolfing it out there. I was wondering why I didn't hear a single person speak. Hopefully this gets patched soon.

tfur

I had some great games last night. I ended up rage quiting the night before, but last night I started to get the KZ2 feeling back. Classic warzones is still a blast, but I do miss assassination.

I miss my KZ2 rifle with that soft, heavy, thudding bullet placement, but I am getting the feel of the second rifle in the support class list.

We had quite a few close matches, and I really enjoy the tactician/support role.

So far things have been very stable, with only 2 kicks from a session since launch.

GodofWine

GG tweeted that they have heard the complaints for voice and are 'considering it' for a patch..tha probably means they are figuring out some technical hurdle or something and then will confirm.

They are patching in color blind mode.

They have added 24 player TDM as a standard warzone...this is a good idea, they need to KEEP the call of duty converts, this will help.

...voice chat...face palm...i love just yacking it up with randoms about where they are from, ganging up on the loud mouth 10 yr olds..they NEED this.

keep hammering them on twitter.

Is Classic Warzone capped at 14 players or something? The Menu UI is pretty atrocious.

The Menu UI is absolute shit. I had a buddy over and we played it for a while, he also noted how completely dreadful it is.

The game kept throwing me into empty games, repeatedly. My buddy started calling the game my "Loneliness Simulator."

Took me a while to figure that out as well. L1 is your answer. Its weird that some secondary fire is down, and some are L1.

That was pissing me off. Why so inconsistent? The same gun in Campaign that uses D-Down will use L1 in multi.

I just had a weird bug where bug where there was no one on the opposing team. It was 4 vs 0.

I've had the same thing. It never added anyone to the opposing team, either. No joiners.

I was really disappointed by the MP. I was on the verge of falling asleep while playing it this weekend. Not a fan of the player movement mechanics. They still feel clunky to me. Game looks great though....

I'm perfectly fine with movement being heavier than games like COD, but the actual aiming also seems a bit clunky in this game which I do not appreciate.

lmao, there is no voice chat?! hahahahaha, sooo weak. Seriously though, what were they thinking?

I'm really okay with not being able to hear the 8 year olds making farting noises and the 14 year olds calling everyone faggots, but I understand that lacking this feature is kind of ridiculous.

X-Frame

I had some great games last night. I ended up rage quiting the night before, but last night I started to get the KZ2 feeling back. Classic warzones is still a blast, but I do miss assassination.

I miss my KZ2 rifle with that soft, heavy, thudding bullet placement, but I am getting the feel of the second rifle in the support class list.

We had quite a few close matches, and I really enjoy the tactician/support role.

So far things have been very stable, with only 2 kicks from a session since launch.

I really miss Assassination too, that was a fun mode and always brought teams together to attack or defend the target. I suppose the new Beacon Protect mode is similar, though I only played a game with it once so I'm not very familiar with the new modes -- have been in the Classic Warzone playlist all of the time.

Violater

If you start a party chat from the main PS4 with Killzone open in the background, you can hop right back to KZ. All those in your party (with the game also open) will come with you. You can chat, of course.

As far as I know, there is no chat outside of parties, although GG is listening to feedback and will consider adding it.

There should be nothing to "consider" its ridiculous and damn embarrassing that its not there, all the other games had it. I don't know which is worst, is it a gross oversight or a limitation of the game's network infrastructure itself?

Am I the only one that thinks the Rumbler is the best overall gun in the game?

Yes, because it is. It's the weapon of choice if you want a high KD ratio. Any scope, results are the same.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Spoor is the gun you want if you want a KD ratio of 0.18. Why is it even in the game.

Yes, because it is. It's the weapon of choice if you want a high KD ratio. Any scope, results are the same.

On the other end of the spectrum, the Spoor is the gun you want if you want a KD ratio of 0.18. Why is it even in the game.

I don't think I've used the Spoor. I do love the Sickle though in Penthouse. It can be a pretty damn good kill-hose.

X-Frame

Isn't that the one that has a chargeable shot ability? I haven't used it yet, but it is the "main" gun shown in all the SP footage too right (haven't played it). It is that bad? I assumed it would be a good gun, especially having the option to snipe people too.

LtOrange

From a technical perspective how difficult would it be to add Voice Chat at this point? I have zero knowledge about game development and am curious how long it would take to implement. I am happy they are listening to feedback, but I am surprised they are only "considering" it.

Havok

Yeah, it's pretty sad that shooters are releasing in 2013 without party systems (both Killzone and Battlefield), something that needed to be standard as soon as Halo 2 hit. Hell, I remember being super frustrated that Gears didn't have it, and that was 2006. I guess an argument could be made that they were working with in-development dashboard features and didn't know how that would all work out, but at that point just go with the system that's established and has worked wonderfully for nine years now. The sort of half-assed way it handles in-game parties at the system level just isn't enough.

On the whole, the multiplayer UI is pretty dreadful, so let's hope the entire thing gets an overhaul. Not to harp on it, but Bungie's Halo games set the bar for lobby UI and postgame stats (easy to use, simple layout that gives you all of the potential information that you might want, organized in a way that makes perfect sense), and Call of Duty does (or did, I wouldn't know about the more recent entries) loadout creation UI super well. In particular, the player should never have to scroll to the right to see all the objects in a list, make them scroll down. It's how people expect frames to work because it's how web browsers work. In-match, the team scores per objective need to have numerical values and stack on top of each other for quick comparisons (again, see Halo). In TDM, it's not enough to have to look at the kill count bars and have to say "well, we're about 80ish percent of the way there and they're...uh, 65?" Give your players the information they need easily and at a glance. Make score comparisons easy so that players can assume an ad-hoc leadership role by relaying this information and give strategies based around it.

Also, while we're at it, a callsign-waypoint system that lets you see where your entire team is on the map would be great, and would allow for better team awareness.

ThankeeSai

Could I ask people a favour? If you get chance, could you also tweet them and ask them to consider including HUD sway? That white, static HUD will be no good for plasmas. I've already tweeted them and they replied that they could patch in an option for plasma users. The more people that raise it the better, though.

GodofWine

I actually got a message from GG via PM (verified its real) asking me (and probably others) for feedback on the MP menu's, so it looks like they are eager to improve.

i will bug them about chat.

but I guess its good to know they are lurking here.

TyrantII

We should use a hash tag as well, so they can hit the hash and easily see all the people requesting it.

#KZSFneedsVOIP ? I Just sent a request respectfully to:

@killzone (duh)
@hermenhulst (Hermen Hulst - Managing Director @ GG)
@StevenTerHeide1 (Steven ter Heide - Game Director)
@EboltGG (Eric Boltjes - Lead Game Designer)

Other features I'd like to see:
  • Proximity Enemy Chat like KZ2 (Being able to pinpoint blabbermouth enemies was great, as was taunting after a good kill). I loved how it faded off the further they got.
  • Need a "large text" option for Player ID/Objectives, at 1080P it's way too small and blends into the BG too much
  • Actual squad support, or at the least a quick way to differentiate your party members from the rest of the team when looking at the map. It's very hard to find them if you spawn back at base, since everyone in a team looks the same on the map.
  • Team VOIP obviously

No Love

Banned
Could I ask people a favour? If you get chance, could you also tweet them and ask them to consider including HUD sway? That white, static HUD will be no good for plasmas. I've already tweeted them and they replied that they could patch in an option for plasma users. The more people that raise it the better, though.

Yes please! Guess I better tweet them the same thing.

Violater

GG doesn't get it, your game's online success depends on the first month or 2 at most of it's release. This is the first time we have KZ, BF and COD all at the same time.
GG Your game is going to get lost if DICE can ever get their shit together.

No Love

Banned
How is this a thing? I figured it was a just a bug or something that would be updated shortly. No clan integration and no voice chat...oh you guys wanted those? We'll look into it then.

Really? Guess I'll be sticking to Battlefield after all.

At least you can play Killzone smoothly. Battlefield is a damn mess right now.

Jonboy

Interesting to see all these responses. I always mute people outside my party any way in pretty much every multiplayer game I play. Hopefully it gets patched in though since so many seem to want it.

Having a blast so far with the multiplayer. PSN ID is jonboy_jlf_2004 if you want to add me.

I actually got a message from GG via PM (verified its real) asking me (and probably others) for feedback on the MP menu's, so it looks like they are eager to improve.

i will bug them about chat.

but I guess its good to know they are lurking here.

Wow, that's cool and definitely good news.

My 2 main issues are lack of voice chat and the menu UI. It's way too difficult to find information about who I am playing a game with, how many kills/deaths I have, etc.

Isn't that the one that has a chargeable shot ability? I haven't used it yet, but it is the "main" gun shown in all the SP footage too right (haven't played it). It is that bad? I assumed it would be a good gun, especially having the option to snipe people too.

Yea, that's the gun. So here's the Spoor:

Main fire: 3-round burst

Alt fire mode: charging sniper round.

Problems-

1.) The 3-round burst mode is too slow. You need to hit people with at least 2 bursts most of the time, but the amount of time you have to wait between trigger pulls is rather outrageous. Your mind wants to use it like a Halo Battle Rifle when you pull the trigger again as soon as the first burst finishes...but doing so only results in you pushing R2 and nothing happening. In reality there is about a .5 second delay before you're clear to pull the trigger again and get another burst out. That delay is death when you're in a 1v1 situation with someone with an AR. With the long draw on the controller you're often not getting your next burst out for something more like .6 or .7 seconds. It's simply not good enough in the clutch when you need it to be. Most AR's kill with about .5 seconds of sustained burst. You're still waiting for your second Spoor burst trigger pull to be ready.

2.) The sniper mode requires charging. Charging is fine in the single player experience...but in multiplayer? You have to wait about 1.5-2 seconds AFTER you zoom in on a target to actually shoot. In the time it takes for you to notice a target...then zoom in...then wait 2 seconds........the target has probably gone and the opportunity is lost. Unlike games like TF2 where the sniper rifle doesn't need a full charge to be shot, this gun has to be fully charged or it simply won't fire.

3.) There are no scope upgrades for either firing mode and neither scope is good.

I really don't understand why this gun is in multiplayer or what purpose it's supposed to serve. You will literally never use this weapon effectively in sniper mode. You'll get some picks here and there (say on another sniper who doesn't know you see him...or someone camping)...but nothing consistent and certainly not at the rate you'd be picking off people with the other SR's because of the delay. You can't use the burst fire mode in close quarters because of the delay. So why is the gun in the game.

I encourage anyone who's willing to spend an hour in MP with that gun and see if your results are different.

hort

Neo Member
What's the best way to get kills with attack buddy? When I'm shooting someone I'm gonna get credit for the kill but if I stop shooting to let him get the kill I end up dying.

Any tips would be appreciated

Using the rumbler if that makes any difference.

Psn Id is aquagay if anyone wants to add me

Top Bottom