• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Discussion

GodofWine

So who wants to start the twitter campaign?

They are lurking on the forum...they know the 'wants'...hell they PMd me and want to ask me questions about the UI for multi.

I think a larger non-specifc developer campaign to include real party systems should happen though. its sad thee COD still has the best (only?) party system for fps.

MADGAME

I'm curious if anyone modified their crosshair sensitivity? Long-time gamer here but new to FPS's. I monkeyed with the sensitivity a bit and landed at 60%.

Seems like the higher sensitivities are better for close combat while lower ones are more suited to ranged/scoped combat.

depward

Have been playing this and am enjoying as much as KZ2 MP but I have one big issue that I think will have a hugely negative impact on the community:

there's no real sense of progression.

Why do a lot of people play Call of Duty? They like seeing their level go up and are chasing that carrot to prestige. It's something that everyone in the game, in the pre-game lobby, can see for each user.

I like how KZ has challenges, but I don't like that's the only type of progression they have. Yeah challenges unlock emblems or whatever, but I don't think it's very much of a distinguishing factor.

So I think at the end of the day, this may be a negative impact on a lasting community for this game.

SeanR1221

The box acts as the center of it's defend area. Basically you throw the box, then a few seconds later the air drone arrives and starts defending around that box. If no one is nearby, it'll just chill out around the box. If someone is nearby, it'll start shooting.

It takes awhile for the drone to get to the box, it's not instant. If it never came, then you may of thrown the box in an inaccessible location for the drone which has been a minor problem in past Killzone games.

Whoops, edited my post a little bit before you quoted it.

Also, no you don't need to be in proximity of it. It is possible that you threw it out but the air sentry didn't have room to be summoned. I know when you throw, the line arc is red or green. If it's green, it means the spot you have aimed at is good for the sentry to arrive. I am not 100% on that though, I feel like I've thrown it when the line was red sometimes and nothing happened too, though maybe I am wrong and wasn't paying attention on all the factors.

I'd try again, and just lookout for the color of the line when you throw it. I've thrown it out many times and it called in the air sentry to protect an area.

Ah cool

I also got a pm from a dev. Very cool to see and I appreciate they want user feedback.

kurbaan

Banned
Asking again: How do i play any thing other than the 4 multiplayer game types on the main screen? How do i find custom warzones?

T

I'm perfectly fine with movement being heavier than games like COD, but the actual aiming also seems a bit clunky in this game which I do not appreciate.

Its not clunky, there is just no auto aim like COD. I've been switching between this and COD online and i can enjoy them both.

This is a bit more tactical and slower paced. COD is like run get shot mash square run kill die.

hort

Neo Member
Asking again: How do i play any thing other than the 4 multiplayer game types on the main screen? How do i find custom warzones?

Its not clunky, there is just no auto aim like COD. I've been switching between this and COD online and i can enjoy them both.

This is a bit more tactical and slower paced. COD is like run get shot mash square run kill die.

Hit x while the all warzones button is highlighted and it will bring you to a different menu. Its the first thing your cursor should be on in the multiplayer menu, hitting right let's you select one of the top recommended ones and I think that's why people are confused, but it is actually a clickable button

Hope that helps, realized it might sound confusing as I was typing it out (probably because it is, took me hours to figure out)

GodofWine

i think this is everyones common issue. the first reply to you got it right I believe.

If it said "Game Modes" or "Browse Active Warzones" it would help, i also didnt realize for many a match there were more warzones, I thought "all warzones" meant I was viewing all the warzones, then I clicked it and was like "duh"...by time they fix it I'll figure it out :)

I just checked out the game website, much better design, clear, can find my stats, zones, friends stats (Kilgore you play too much I hate you).

808life

Banned
So there's no voice chat supported in this game online? wat? Everyone on XBL talks. I was playing few rounds on BF4 Last night and all I got was one guy who coughed 2 times. I said hey watsup, no response. WTH?

GodofWine

So there's no voice chat supported in this game online? wat? Everyone on XBL talks. I was playing few rounds on BF4 Last night and all I got was one guy who coughed 2 times. I said hey watsup, no response. WTH?

Party chat only in KZ...for now until they change that. BF should have chatter I think, or is it squad only or you have to select team chat like in BF3??

My buddy at work insists the no one talks on xb cod...i found that odd.

RedAssedApe

Banned
My buddy at work insists the no one talks on xb cod...i found that odd.

A lot more people play in parties these days. Every now and then I'll fly solo and I still hear people talking in lobbies. Not as much as in the past though as after so many cod games people probably have at least one other person they to run with.

Hence why gg probably though this was ok. It might have been ok if there were some mechanism in place that automatically put you in a party chat. But with the 8 player limit it would have also required some kind of squad system like bf4.

Very weird omission. Seems intentional but I wonder if mp stuff might have been deprioritized with the launch crunch and all.

kurbaan

Banned
A lot more people play in parties these days. Every now and then I'll fly solo and I still hear people talking in lobbies. Not as much as in the past though as after so many cod games people probably have at least one other person they to run with.

Hence why gg probably though this was ok. It might have been ok if there were some mechanism in place that automatically put you in a party chat. But with the 8 player limit it would have also required some kind of squad system like bf4.

Very weird omission. Seems intentional but I wonder if mp stuff might have been deprioritized with the launch crunch and all.

Been playing a lot of Ghosts and only sometimes people even talk and usually its one or 2 guys. It really sucks. Kinda hate this party chat crap since it just kills the online experience for all these games.

Ryuuga

Banned
Is there a way to switch teams? I joined on a friend playing with no opposing force and I want to switch over to face him.

TyrantII

That's the thing though, KZ has never been focused on the solo experience. It's a team game through and through for the fans. Team games need chat for teamwork, and with the 8 person party limit... that a no go.

kurbaan

Banned
Hit x while the all warzones button is highlighted and it will bring you to a different menu. Its the first thing your cursor should be on in the multiplayer menu, hitting right let's you select one of the top recommended ones and I think that's why people are confused, but it is actually a clickable button

Hope that helps, realized it might sound confusing as I was typing it out (probably because it is, took me hours to figure out)

i think this is everyones common issue. the first reply to you got it right I believe.

If it said "Game Modes" or "Browse Active Warzones" it would help, i also didnt realize for many a match there were more warzones, I thought "all warzones" meant I was viewing all the warzones, then I clicked it and was like "duh"...by time they fix it I'll figure it out :)

I just checked out the game website, much better design, clear, can find my stats, zones, friends stats (Kilgore you play too much I hate you).

Oh wow that worked. Such weird design. The reason we cant figure it out is because when you go to multiplayer tab by default you are on those warzone lists so you dont think of going back to the left menu

Matchew

Man the multiplayer is so good. The maps and the graphics are insane. Playing support is really fun and can easily turn the tide during matches because of the spawn point perk. I love putting those in the right places and gather all those spawn assist points. And being a medic you also get all kinds of points. I love this game!

The minimap should be made non transparent. It's almost impossible to see right now. Of course chat should be put in. Text also seems way too small. Finally, please change the menu UI. It's unbelievable how that even got through testing. Whatever happened, it just needs to be replaced ASAP!

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Man the multiplayer is so good. The maps and the graphics are insane. Playing support is really fun and can easily turn the tide during matches because of the spawn point perk. I love putting those in the right places and gather all those spawn assist points. And being a medic you also get all kinds of points. I love this game!

Yeah, that's my load out of choice as well. The points really start to add up if you play it smart.

I really suck at the MP in this game. Seriously awful. It's kind of funny since I'm one of the only ones who doesn't think the campaign is hard at all.

Glad I'm not the only one who sucks. I haven't played through the campaign yet though. Got distracted by black flag.

jadedm17

Can anyone reccomend a Youtube video or article somewhere to go over the basics?
I'm enjoying the multiplayer but I spend most my time wandering into spawn zones or hiding from flying machines I can't seem to destroy.

tfur

Can anyone reccomend a Youtube video or article somewhere to go over the basics?
I'm enjoying the multiplayer but I spend most my time wandering into spawn zones or hiding from flying machines I can't seem to destroy.

There is a Youtube channel called "Killzone Shadow Fall" or similar, that goes over some of the mechanics and classes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
what's the online population like during peak hours? Was playing around 12-1am last night and I think I only saw around 500 people if that?

Ryuuga

Banned
Glad I'm not the only one who sucks. I haven't played through the campaign yet though. Got distracted by black flag.

Yeah, that's what I'm finding too. KZ MP immediately drew my attention away from the campaign, now I have to fight myself to play it again in small sessions.

dengatron

killzones "party" system is being in a PSN party with someone then starting a warzone. they get the option to join up under invites on the multiplayer home screen. better than battlefield 4's joke of a group invite system where you have to be in a match before you can even invite someone.

DigiMish

I wish there were more just straight up Team Deathmatch games. I know Warzone is where it's at, but sometimes I just want to shoot fools without having to worry about objectives.

Strider

I wish there were more just straight up Team Deathmatch games. I know Warzone is where it's at, but sometimes I just want to shoot fools without having to worry about objectives.

They just added a 24 player team deathmatch playlist... I'm playing it right now.

Had some really good games with a couple of GAF members today! Got one whole 25 minute match recorded where we swept and were just straight up killin'! Definitely more fun to party up and voice chat that way, but I hope they add in in-game voice chat soon.

Using the Air Support Drone on The Wall map is beast! Also, it's pretty easy to abuse the spawns on the Helghast side... Got 46 kills in the match.

They just added a 24 player team deathmatch playlist... I'm playing it right now.

I need to get on that!

I like the fact that the shotgun in this game actually has range. The bullets don't just disappear after seven feet (I'm looking at you, every CoD game ever).

I like the fact that the shotgun in this game actually has range. The bullets don't just disappear after seven feet (I'm looking at you, every CoD game ever).

The R870 had some range in BLOPS2 and the SPAS was ridiculous in MW2. In any case, I feel like the VC30 shotgun here is really good.

GodofWine

I just looked at the shadowfall website, and its layout should be the inspiration for their menus. I found warzone info, my stats, friends stats...it actually made sense, far better design than BF4s battlelog.

Have been playing this and am enjoying as much as KZ2 MP but I have one big issue that I think will have a hugely negative impact on the community:

Why do a lot of people play Call of Duty? They like seeing their level go up and are chasing that carrot to prestige. It's something that everyone in the game, in the pre-game lobby, can see for each user.

I like how KZ has challenges, but I don't like that's the only type of progression they have. Yeah challenges unlock emblems or whatever, but I don't think it's very much of a distinguishing factor.

So I think at the end of the day, this may be a negative impact on a lasting community for this game.

I agree although it wouldn't particularly bother me. Any time I played COD, I only leveled up and didn't prestige - made it all the sweeter because it annoyed some people lol!

HOWEVER, this game should have had a FFA - THAT alone would have kept enough people interested imo.

And that's why Counterstrike, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Goldeneye, and Halo (the first one) were DOA right? A Game's true endurance come from people having fun playing it, not from Barking Seal game design

Agreed.

Is that design good enough here though?

Imo (still to play) I'd be very surprised of any longevity in big numbers - that is unless GG get there arses out and sort shit out that should already be in the game - Voice Chat etc...I reckon a FFA would help it. I mean I just don't get it, they've created a Team Multiplayer experience where I can't play with randoms having Voice Chat unless I start a party with them - fuck that!

I'm a lonely old miserable git :)

If BF4 worked, surely that would be the better choice if I wanted a 'Team' Multiplayer experience.

Arrrrgh - all the negativity is getting to me a bit!

5amshift

Banned
Had an amazing time over the weekend with friends LANing this game and just absolutely killing it. Great variety of maps, although I just wish the map voting screen could last a little longer. Excited for the DLC and whatever else they add to beef the multiplayer up.

kurbaan

Banned

Not sure how there is no progression. You can level up all your abilities and weapons. Seems like it will take a lot of time just to do that.

If they can add voice chat and clans this game will have legs. Had a great time today with GAF party, game was a lot more fun with people because otherwise its just quiet. And knowing how to use abilities and classes its a lot of fun.

Had some really good games with a couple of GAF members today! Got one whole 25 minute match recorded where we swept and were just straight up killin'! Definitely more fun to party up and voice chat that way, but I hope they add in in-game voice chat soon.

Using the Air Support Drone on The Wall map is beast! Also, it's pretty easy to abuse the spawns on the Helghast side... Got 46 kills in the match.

Yeah man, that match was a mess. There were constantly no less than 2 air support drones out, and the trenches were crazy active.

Warzone is my favorite gameplay type in any multiplayer game. The rotating objectives use the entire map and funnel players in so that there are never any dead moments. Really underrated.

Yeah man, that match was a mess. There were constantly no less than 2 air support drones out, and the trenches were crazy active.

Warzone is my favorite gameplay type in any multiplayer game. The rotating objectives use the entire map and funnel players in so that there are never any dead moments. Really underrated.

I was spamming the air drone whenever I could lol. That map is really awesome, though.

Boss Man

Just saying the thing that makes Killzone stick out a bit in my mind is the idea of deep modes, squad, and clan implementations. They got the server lobbies and the modes, but it's really surprising to me that squad/clan/voice chat are not just missing from launch...but they didn't even plan to put them in. That's really odd to me.

At first I didn't even think twice about it. I just figured it was coming in patch 1.10 or whatever. I'm really curious as to what made them decide that they just shouldn't have clans or especially...voice chat.

Top Bottom