• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Squill

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there is a way to speed up 2H weapons? Great swords and hammers are AWESOME but I feel like I really have to start swinging them WAY before I start fighting the mobs just to land any hits. I was just wondering if there are any faster great swords or hammers other than just the "Very Slow" ones.

A developer already stated the loot is the same on all modes so just because you're on hard mode doesn't mean you're getting better loot than normal mode

You didn't get him mate, he meant better equipment than he already had, as he progress through the game, not better equipment than on lower difficulties ;)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Torn on which route to go. I know you can respec, but any opinions on Might/Finesse versus all out finesse? If I were to go with the former, I'd likely still be wearing light armor over plate, wouldn't I?

I guess if I want a plate-wearing dual-wielding beast, it looks like I'd have to go mostly might, with some in finesse.

I am getting creative with my build, I call it my "Aragorn" build. A bit of finesse for that smexy ranged ability, working up might for longsword and shield type build for up close damage. Using medium armor to focus on damage output. Gonna be a good time yo' (In terms of picking a mix of the two)

JambiBum

How many hours in does it get punishing? Because that's what I want. At a little over three hours, even when enemies hit me I only get scratched. I haven't had to use potions or reckoning since the troll fight in the tutorial dungeon. I'm not even using the cheesy mass effect armor.

Honestly it depends on what area you are in and what quest you are on. Difficulty by time played isn't really a good way to judge the difficulty in this game. It is a lot more instance based. Find the House of Ballads and do the quest line for that if you want a decent challenge early on.

ParityBit

I am so torn between some sort of Finesse/Sorc build. I am thinking Chakram and ..... maybe Feablade? Bows sound neat too. No summoning I don't think, and not sure about poisons.

I'm at work and I am trying to get an idea before I go home and play tonight! Stupid game.

Klyka

Banned
I must be getting old. I hate this new trend of tips ect in youTube format. I prefer these things in text format by far.

Long Live the Newspaper! Get off my lawn!

It's a lot easier to show those things in a video though and most people learn better by seeing a demonstration instead of just reading about it :)

scy

How many hours in does it get punishing? Because that's what I want. At a little over three hours, even when enemies hit me I only get scratched. I haven't had to use potions or reckoning since the troll fight in the tutorial dungeon. I'm not even using the cheesy mass effect armor.

"Hour" is a bit hard to go by rather than region (and, even then, it's by enemy type really). The Threshes in Gorguath hit fairly hard. The Trolls, Ettins, Jottuns, etc. of the areas past the starting two are where you start seeing enemies that take more to kill and deal more damage.

I am so torn between some sort of Finesse/Sorc build. I am thinking Chakram and ..... maybe Feablade? Bows sound neat too. No summoning I don't think, and not sure about poisons.

I'm at work and I am trying to get an idea before I go home and play tonight! Stupid game.

I'm enjoying Finesse/Sorcery quite a lot, though I'm not ... really using much on the spell side :|

Is there anywhere on the internet I can go to see a comprehensive world map? I'm trying to get a better grip on all of the locations and how they relate to each other. The ones on the official websites seem really lacking to me.

Hawk269

I played some more last night and it would be best to summarize in bullet point so hopefully Curt and the boys could look into this. This is all about difficulty and the lack of real challenge++:

* Health Potions need a cooldown and a reduction in how many can be carried.
* High Level Armor should be given later in the game
* Too much loot to early in the game
* Too many status effecting potions are being given too early in the game
* Weight should be added to items this way players cannot carry almost endless amount of items.

++ = Please note, I am playing on hard, have not spammed health potions and the game is way to easy. One of the big problems is that the game is handing out items left and right and consumable items are out of hand. Every item should be counted towards the total you can carry. In my consumable inventory I have what looks like 3 pages of consumables and I have not used anything other that a few health and mana.

It seems like they went overboard creating all this loot but did not factor in the games difficulty and how it alters it for the player. Granted, I am not using hardly any of the potions but it still is a cake walk for me right now.

Unfortunately there is no one fix. If they make a very hard, potion spamming will be even more prevelant or exploiting the broken Blacksmithing will be. It seems a big balance sweep needs to be done, but I dont think they will do that.

Hawk269

It's a lot easier to show those things in a video though and most people learn better by seeing a demonstration instead of just reading about it :)

Great video's man. Did you notice if you go into the Profile menu but then decide not to make a profile you cant get out of it? I did cause i was not sure what it did and I did not want to mess anything up, but could not get out of the screen so I had to alt-tab and close the program.

jkoch

For people that think the game is way too easy, what kinds of builds are you using? I'm level 12, all might at this point other than 1 point in bows, and I find the game to be reasonably challenging. I'm using a longsword and shield. I've died a few times, and I need to be careful with Jotuns and some of the other larger enemies, and also larger packs of enemies like spiders and wolves. I'd say the average yellow con enemy takes two full 4 hit combos to kill, and Jotuns etc take 3 or 4 combos. Of course, when you use Reckoning it's ezmode.

I've beaten Bayonetta on Non-Stop Infinite Climax mode and DMC3SE on DMD mode, so I'm not stranger to this kind of combat.

DJ_Lae

Three hours in and I think I'm going to start over with the game on hard - for the achievement and because the game is way too easy. I haven't even come close to dying and I've used very few healing potions. Plus, hearing things like Gerstmann's late-game experiences and overleveling by doing sidequests (which I plan on doing, it's one of my RPG weaknesses) makes me realize it's just going to get easier.

Game's great otherwise, though. The ton of sidequests reminds me of Sacred 2, and the overall feel of the game is sort of like what Fable should have played like. Plus the loot (and the glorious 'add to junk' button) is very compelling so far.

Klyka

Banned
Great video's man. Did you notice if you go into the Profile menu but then decide not to make a profile you cant get out of it? I did cause i was not sure what it did and I did not want to mess anything up, but could not get out of the screen so I had to alt-tab and close the program.

You can get out, there is a little red X in the top right corner.

Riggs

Banned
I played some more last night and it would be best to summarize in bullet point so hopefully Curt and the boys could look into this. This is all about difficulty and the lack of real challenge++:

* Weight should be added to items this way players cannot carry almost endless amount of items.

++ = Please note, I am playing on hard, have not spammed health potions and the game is way to easy. One of the big problems is that the game is handing out items left and right and consumable items are out of hand. Every item should be counted towards the total you can carry. In my consumable inventory I have what looks like 3 pages of consumables and I have not used anything other that a few health and mana.

It seems like they went overboard creating all this loot but did not factor in the games difficulty and how it alters it for the player. Granted, I am not using hardly any of the potions but it still is a cake walk for me right now.

Unfortunately there is no one fix. If they make a very hard, potion spamming will be even more prevelant or exploiting the broken Blacksmithing will be. It seems a big balance sweep needs to be done, but I dont think they will do that.

This ... The fact that the lore and characters are so forgettable mixed with how easy this game is, already might trade in. I am trying hard to love this game but I just do not care about anything in it. It's so easy, but the rogue stealth mechanics are awesome. Not sure what I will do just yet. Gb review basically said stick to main quest line or you will be OP in no time. Seems to be the case as ive been doing mad side quests and even orange mobs are a joke, switching to hard just blows up their HP its still very easy.

moop1167

So people are complaining that there is too much loot, and the enemies are too easy. So, we want less loot and enemy level scaling?

daedalius

I don't find the game to be terribly difficult, but I generally at least have to try when fighting some of the larger enemies. Giant demon-beast-thing comes to mind, and Widow.

With reckoning and pots (just like demon form in Darksiders) you can pretty much lulz through everything. Self-instituted difficulty is probably as much as you are going to get: no reckoning, only health regen pots or something.

Another difficultly level is probably not in scope for them, but I imagine a cooldown on pots might be, or maybe a limit on how many you can carry. Inventory in these kinds of games is always pretty silly, I mean where the hell are you going to be carrying 20 potions on your body? Skyrim was even worse, since well... that game is super easy combat-wise and you can use multiple pots while time is stopped in your inventory, heh.

Should have a potion-drinking animation where you are vulnerable at least; or that cooldown. Potion mashing isn't fun.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I haven't purchased my copy yet as the lack of difficulty challenge completely turned me off of the game, but implementing some of these would get me back on board.

I LOATHE games that rely on health potions as a healing crutch with no apparent balancing. I :sigh: when I notice 99+ potions sitting ready for consumption, and I wonder how the fuck that is even possible from a game balancing decision. As if the entire point is to just throw myself in harms way and mash both attack and heal to victory. If that many potions are sitting unused in my game, then their purpose is questionable.

Be smarter than that. All this marketing talk of a glorious combat system is eradicated with boneheaded balancing, not to harp on Amalur though, this is a MAJOR problem for the entire genre.

Riggs

Banned
So people are complaining that there is too much loot, and the enemies are too easy. So, we want less loot and enemy level scaling?

Lol I love stealth for instance but what's the point ? My guy is all finesse and still I can easily run into 5 mobs and own them like I am some kind of tank rogue. I guess its preference my main gripe is the story an people in the world. I just do not care. Even in FFXIII I cared way more about the story and that's saying something.

bodine1231

Maybe its not the difficulty and just some of you guys' specs that are overpowered. I agree with the other poster in that I'm using a full Might build and I find myself coming close to dying quite allot.

Curt... the game is awesome but it's obviously far too easy even on Hard. Nightmare mode/Expert difficulty, call it whatever but this difficulty patch is a must. It needs to happen and quickly.

scy

Enemies do scale. I have to wonder how far (not time wise, actual progression wise) many of the complaints are. I'm not saying the game is difficult by any stretch of the imagination but it's not, "So I walk in and things die."

Personally speaking, I'm fine with the difficulty and I say that as someone who finds Demon/Dark Souls on the "pretty easy" side of things. Of course I'd love a harder mode but it's not like I'm annoyed at the game or anything.

Mutombo

Made my decision not to buy day one based on lack of difficulty and balancing issues. Will pick up if budget or if the game gets patched.

daedalius

Lol I love stealth for instance but what's the point ? My guy is all finesse and still I can easily run into 5 mobs and own them like I am some kind of tank rogue. I guess its preference my main gripe is the story an people in the world. I just do not care. Even in FFXIII I cared way more about the story and that's saying something.

Wow. characters/story in FF13 are garbage imo, completely un-relatable.

I like the story, seems fine, not mind-blowing or anything though. Always drunk fateweaver friend has made me laugh a few times at least.

Spitz

My copy arrived today without the pre order bonus the retailer promised when i ordered the game. :( Now its time to explore the world. :)

Sothpaw

No, we want the broken potion mechanics fixed and for enemies to hit much harder on hard mode.

And remove reckoning mode.

Riggs

Banned
Wow. characters/story in FF13 are garbage imo, completely un-relatable.

I like the story, seems fine, not mind-blowing or anything though.

Ya agreed and it brought me in more than koa despite it being bad. Stealth mechanics and combat are very well done in this game though. Not trying to be a dick but I can't name one character in this game. And no my memory works well, its the game.

scy

What exactly were people expecting out of the difficulty anyway? I mean, if I let an enemy (say, a Kobold, Murghan, etc.) get a full combo off, that's about 25-30% of my HP. Some of the larger enemies do that kind of damage in a single hit. What exactly are people looking for?

I'm all for a harder difficulty and all but just curious.

I'd just say to limit the use of it on boss fights in this proposed harder difficulty. Removing a rather big component of the game (story/lore wise) seems a little ... weird.

daedalius

Ya agreed and it brought me in more than koa despite it being bad. Stealth mechanics and combat are very well done in this game though. Not trying to be a dick but I can't name one character in this game. And no my memory works well, its the game.

I can't name them, but I can remember what they all look like... haha. I like the Fateweaver guy, he is pretty humorous at least.

I can also remember what all the ridiculous characters in FF13 look like, despite playing it forever ago and hating it.

Hmm, I remember people on the forum by their avatar rather than their name... this seems like a trend.

JambiBum

No, we want the broken potion mechanics fixed and for enemies to hit much harder on hard mode.

No. Why remove an integral part of the gameplay and story?

I swear most people that are complaining about a lack of challenge are still in the beginning areas. Start the Warsworn quests and see the difficulty rise. Especially once you move onto the other areas. It isn't some hardcore challenge but it's enough to make me actually have to try.

scy

I swear most people that are complaining about a lack of challenge are still in the beginning areas. Start the Warsworn quests and see the difficulty rise. Especially once you move onto the other areas. It isn't some hardcore challenge but it's enough to make me actually have to try.

"Newbie area is too easy, game is garbage."

Sothpaw

I'd just say to limit the use of it on boss fights in this proposed harder difficulty. Removing a rather big component of the game (story/lore wise) seems a little ... weird.

Then wouldn't it be weird if you couldn't use it on bosses? Lore should never get in the way of gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

Hawk269

I dont get some of you guys sometimes. I love the game, I mean I really love it, but I am not a fanboy and am not going to kiss Curt's ass and blow sunshine up his ass because he is who he is. I think Curt said it best, he is thick skinned and I think he prefers honest feedback (good and bad) about the game. With that said...

Some of you are questioning what class we are playing and that is why it may be easier, stating going almost all might some people are getting close to dieing, that my friends is called a balance issue. It should not matter what class you play, the challenge level should be there regardless. What is conerning to me is that I have not used any of the exploits like blacksmithing, carrying 100 health potions or anything like that. Like any RPG player, the thing I am doing is analyzing armor/weopons and equiping the ones that give me the best stats (which i assume everyone does).

The real root cause is that the game itself is not too challenging due to enemies not high enough and armor/weopons out balancing the enemies. Then add in the unlimited amount of potions you can carry and it can and is broken to a certain extent.

We can do alot of self impossed things like:

* Only carry 5 health potions
* Run around naked to add more challenge
* Not repair equipment for more challenge
* Remove two buttons from our controller
* Play with our feet instead of our hands

Yeah, that sounds childish, but the truth to the matter is that some folks here are pretty much saying that. Don't spam health then it will be harder for you...Dont use that class because they are too powerfull....Don't use that Mass Effect armor cause you are god like...Don't do side quests or you will be overpowered later in the game...Dont abuse Blacksmithing because you will break the game etc.

I will add one more balance topic that needs to be addressed if any balance patch were to be released. Your special move, cant remember what is called...the meter fills in way to fast. I rarely use it because again it rewards way to much Exp..which is another self imposed way to keep the game from being too easy. But it does need to be nerfed. It needs to provide alot less experience. I think the whole "quick time of mashing a button" needs to be removed because it grands way too much experience points.

CTE

FINE I take it back. But still I want to be pulled into this world, and its not happening for me. Maybe it will get better who knows.

hah! Ok then. I can respect that view. Story is vital in a RPG. For some more than others.

Klyka

Banned
Pff don't remove Reckoning mode, that's not a good idea. It's a big part of the game.
Just give much much less fate from defeating enemies on hard, so that you really have to manage Reckoning and need to think twice about spending it all for extra XP.

Sothpaw

No. Why remove an integral part of the gameplay and story?

Because it makes the game too easy. I respect your opinion but the Warsworn is also a joke due to the broken potion mechanics and reckoning mode.

ced

Too easy??? Did you all just get done playing Dark Souls or something.

It's been fine for me, I have to use potions quite a bit, and just use reckoning for boss types.

To put it simply, quit spamming potions and reckoning mode.

Edit:

After reading what I said and thinking about Dark Souls, I guess a limit on potions does add some suspense and challenge.

daedalius

I can't remember, did everyone complain diablo 2 was a broken joke because you could spam potions? (which I did, in excess)

They should have just copied the WoW mechanic, 1 potion per combat; would definitely make bosses harder. Maybe I'll try to do that myself...

Riggs

Banned
Hawk already removed both bumpers from controller it is not helping at all. Now I cannot even bring up fucking stealth mode. And daedalius this is possibly a conspiracy. Sorry noob gaf here I dont know how to properly multi quote on mobile (or pc for that matter)

Sothpaw

I can't remember, did everyone complain diablo 2 was a broken joke because you could spam potions? (which I did, in excess)

They should have just copied the WoW mechanic, 1 potion per combat; would definitely make bosses harder.

In D2 the amount of potions you can carry is limited by inventory space. At end-game you want your entire inventory filled with charms/anni/torch.

But yes people complained about balance in D2 because you could abuse TP. Even with TP abuse though Duriel is harder than anything I have encountered in KOA by a million times.

Hawk269

What exactly were people expecting out of the difficulty anyway? I mean, if I let an enemy (say, a Kobold, Murghan, etc.) get a full combo off, that's about 25-30% of my HP. Some of the larger enemies do that kind of damage in a single hit. What exactly are people looking for?

I'm all for a harder difficulty and all but just curious.

Not remove it because like you said and 100% agree it is part of the lore of the game. They should:

* Lower Experience gained from using it
* Lower the amount of Reckoning you gain while killing enemies.

The fill rate of the Reckoning meter is too much. You can easily fill it and if you chose use it alot and this allows users to level up because you also gain a shitload of experience from it.

Klyka

Banned
Too easy??? Did you all just get done playing Dark Souls or something.

It's been fine for me, I have to use potions quite a bit, and just use reckoning for boss types.

To put it simply, quit spamming potions and reckoning mode.

Edit:

After reading what I said and thinking about Dark Souls, I guess a limit on potions does add some suspense and challenge.

The game really is ridiculously easy if you are even decently skilled at action games.
Not to mention that in an RPG you can actually outlevel your foes and make it even less trivial.
I don't get everyone's problem with Reckoning mode though. It's supposed to be your character unraveling the way the world works and changing fate.
So when he goes into Reckoning, he turns a giant strong monster into a punching bag because that's his special power. He changes the world. I think it's pretty great and who doesn't like doing those cool finishers?

scy

Then wouldn't it be weird if you couldn't use it on bosses? Lore should never get in the way of gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

It'd be easier to swallow boss fights preventing it than, post-launch, completely removing an aspect of the game. Though, stated up front in the difficulty selection and it's not really a big deal for the straight removal.

I dont get some of you guys sometimes. I love the game, I mean I really love it, but I am not a fanboy and am not going to kiss Curt's ass and blow sunshine up his ass because he is who he is.

I don't think I am either, I just find most the complaints to be above the first few areas of the game. It's hard to take those claims very seriously. I agree that the game could use a difficulty increase across the board (and a harder option would be nice) but I'm not going to base that off of starter zones.

What is conerning to me is that I have not used any of the exploits like blacksmithing, carrying 100 health potions or anything like that. Like any RPG player, the thing I am doing is analyzing armor/weopons and equiping the ones that give me the best stats (which i assume everyone does).

I min/max the shit out of things. As I mentioned earlier, some enemies can still rock my HP if they get the opportunity to do so. I can't imagine it going that well for them later as my equipment does improve more but I'm using the best equipment I can get for the region (... -Boots since they're low level but +1 Skills).

And, to be honest, I really can't take the claim of "Game is too easy, I can spam potions" that seriously. I'd say the fight is pretty well balanced in that case but the potion mechanic isn't. That's a bit different. Semantics, I wager, but oh well.

Not remove it because like you said and 100% agree it is part of the lore of the game. They should:

* Lower Experience gained from using it
* Lower the amount of Reckoning you gain while killing enemies.

The fill rate of the Reckoning meter is too much. You can easily fill it and if you chose use it alot and this allows users to level up because you also gain a shitload of experience from it.

Do worse in combat then :x You only gain 5 when killing enemies. You get more for everything you do "right" in combat; varying attacks (e.g., all spells grant +5 for first use) and using your weapon specials all grant you more Fate.

The EXP gain is ridiculous though. It basically rewards you for trump carding hard fights :| I'd honestly be fine with Reckoning costing you EXP unless you button spam.

Top Bottom