• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Dina

Some hits will stagger you and you'll just eat the combo. Kobolds are pretty good at this with their three-hit combo. I think it just teaches you the importance of blocking appropriately! :x

You talked about being able to Lunge. I have it leveled all the way, but I can't manage to Lunge behind the enemy no matter what I do. It's not the charge skill, but how do you get it to proc?

daedalius

I actually find the "Kobold combo" to be somewhat escapable. There's a space between the first and second hits that allows for dodging/blocking. If you eat the second, you're pretty much always going to get the third, however.

And this is why I usually just try to stagger them with chakrams before moving in for a kill.

So, if you can only have 4 spells active, not really much of a point in having points invested in more than that huh?

You talked about being able to Lunge. I have it leveled all the way, but I can't manage to Lunge behind the enemy no matter what I do. It's not the charge skill, but how do you get it to proc?

It should just dash you behind a target, although tbh I am not finding this ability to be terribly useful most of the time. It may be getting the axe since, like I said before, seems silly to have points invested in more than 4 skills.

Napophis

its mapped to the face buttons, if you hold down L1 you'll see them.

Really surprised by the Rogue class(my favorite class), most of the times in other games you are underpowered trash, in here you tear shit up. Passive poison and elemental daggers are crazy.

Haunted

[Clark Gable said:
;34951738]Really surprised by the Rogue class(my favorite class), most of the times in other games you are underpowered trash, in here you tear shit up. Passive poison and elemental daggers are crazy.
They've done a really good job of making the rogue and mage classes interesting.

Mages are as dynamic and fluid in combat as anyone, the main reason I don't like to play mages in RPGs is because it's spam ranged attacks + kiting most of the time. Not so in Amalur.

scy

I actually find the "Kobold combo" to be somewhat escapable. There's a space between the first and second hits that allows for dodging/blocking. If you eat the second, you're pretty much always going to get the third, however.

Yeah, those are the two hits I was thinking of by referencing the combo. The first -> second hit is spaced for a block or dodge.

Proc? It's an active skill, not a passive one. If it connects, it has to land you behind the target. I should specify though, it isn't neessarily their actual back that you land at. It lands you on the other side of where you're facing (e.g., if you're facing their back already you'll Lunge and land facing their front).

It should just dash you behind a target, although tbh I am not finding this ability to be terribly useful most of the time. It may be getting the axe since, like I said before, seems silly to have points invested in more than 4 skills.

The only other option I have in my Faeblade/Chakram build is to get Smoke Bomb ... which doesn't seem all that necessary as I don't need the escape option. The stun would be nice, though. Hell, to be honest, I don't actually use Mark of Flame or Storm Bolt all that often either so my actual spell loadout is basically Lunge and Shadow Flare.

Aaron

2-3 hours in and this game is WAY TOO EASY on hard. I had one hard fight when I first ran into kobolds and it's been a total breeze since. I know it's unlikely, but they really should add a very hard difficulty. Great combat doesn't mean anything when you can win every fight without a sweat or a scratch. I don't even bother using a shield or ranged weapons because they make it even easier.

Dina

Proc? It's an active skill, not a passive one. If it connects, it has to land you behind the target. I should specify though, it isn't neessarily their actual back that you land at. It lands you on the other side of where you're facing (e.g., if you're facing their back already you'll Lunge and land facing their front).

Ah, I'm daft. Thanks.

Dresden

2-3 hours in and this game is WAY TOO EASY on hard. I had one hard fight when I first ran into kobolds and it's been a total breeze since. I know it's unlikely, but they really should add a very hard difficulty. Great combat doesn't mean anything when you can win every fight without a sweat or a scratch. I don't even bother using a shield or ranged weapons because they make it even easier.

Too early in the game, no?

The arena is slept on, spending a lot of time in the house of valor, nice loot awards, and some interesting matches againsts certain types of enemies, the matches against humans (questlines matches) are different enough to enjoy, drunk female mages who announce they have to go "take a leak" = win.

JambiBum

The arena is slept on, spending a lot of time in the house of valor, nice loot awards, and some interesting matches againsts certain types of enemies, the matches against humans (questlines matches) are different enough to enjoy, drunk mages who announce they have to go "take a leak" = win.

Where is that at?

Also does anyone know where the key for the Aster Strongbox in Dolve Wayle is? I thought I would get it from completing the quest but they just gave me a key to the actual dungeon.

oktarb

Just another first impression opinion...

For the first try I set the difficulty to Normal and breezed through every encounter for about six hours. I decided to start over and set the difficulty to Hard. A wise move in the long run. Some fights were still very easy (especially after getting my pre-order gear) but I had to at least take measure and use tactics. At one point I found myself in a dungeon, out of potions fighting for every pixel of health I could muster. That forced me to truly use my combos and abilities to survive. I already want a Nightmare mode.

For the first time i wish some of the trivia missions didn't have long drawn out voice acted sequences. This is probably blasphemy to some. My reasoning is this. In SWTOR everything voice acted and done to a superb quality but there are drastically fewer quests. Reckoning is littered with quests. While fighting a quest you trip over a quest, hitting your head on a quest which leads you to three more quests. Sometimes I just wanted to lay and slay without having to go through minutes of quest dialogue. For this game I wish the unique or bad ass quests were voice acted and the trivia's were more cut and dry. Welcome to the first town..yay...WAM wall of quests!

I love my pre-order gear. I'm still too early in the game so i hope the later gear measures up to it. I imagine it will. collecting sets and unique gear is to much fun to mess up.

I have zero graphical problems. The world is a little Wow stylish sure but I don'rt mind at all. The menus/UI are a little dated and could actually use a little Blizzard polish. A great UI goes a long way to creating an immersive and engaging way to get into the game. The camera could use a little love but its not horrible by any means.

I which the Destiny cards were a little more engaging. Seems like a missed opportunity to really make them special and not just stat boosts. Every card should grant a special ability. How about being angle to create a destiny hand, combine cards in different ways to create a unique destiny hand with even more unique (I'm saying unique a lot)bonuses and abilities.

All in all I had fun but I must admit they'll need to up the ante in the next 10-20 hours or I could see myself getting bored.

Truant

Any tweaks or mods to make the PC version look passable? I'm using an nVidia card. How does the game work with driver forced AA/AF? The ingame antistropic filtering is pretty bad.

bodine1231

Any 2H users here? I see most people going Rogue but I like using the giant 2H weapons. Just wondering what sort of build Might users have been going with. I'm finding the attack while blocking combo to be the most useful so far. Quake does alot of damage but on Hard I've been getting attacked by Archers when trying to use it and it breaks the combo so I dropped it for Shield spec.

Xander51

I'm a couple of hours in and this is definitely a bit more polished than the demo. The camera is still the same but it has grown on me a little. I agree that the combat is probably too easy, but this whole game is kind of chill, and I'm enjoying that.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
You can eventually even get a castle and then an island fortress. One of these is supposed to have your own underground mines to explore as well.

What!!!!! Oh man I cannot wait to play this all night this weekend. Oh man my own island. Sweet!

Anyone find a way to make the texture pop in less annoying on PC? It's not a huge deal, but watching the improved models popping in as I get close to things is already sort of annoying me.

Grinchy

Banned
So hard mode is the way to go?

I'm only 4 hours or so into the game now, but I think hard mode is definitely the way to go. As I'm getting better equipment and adding gems to my armor, it's getting easier. I can't imagine if i started on a lower difficulty level. Some spots have actually been a challenge compared to the demo, which is a very good thing.

darthvisas

Neo Member
[Clark Gable];34951738 said:
Really surprised by the Rogue class(my favorite class), most of the times in other games you are underpowered trash, in here you tear shit up. Passive poison and elemental daggers are crazy.
That's great news. A have to wait another 2 days in order to play because the release here is in 10 of February. I'm really jelus of some of you already playing.

ironcreed

Banned
Any 2H users here? I see most people going Rogue but I like using the giant 2H weapons. Just wondering what sort of build Might users have been going with. I'm finding the attack while blocking combo to be the most useful so far. Quake does alot of damage but on Hard I've been getting attacked by Archers when trying to use it and it breaks the combo so I dropped it for Shield spec.

Yep, rolling with my Vigilant Armor, Fate Touched Great Sword and Hammer, with Chakrams as a secondary weapon. Currently doing the Guardian Destiny, while on my way to unlocking Battlemage.

sneaky77

So I am going rogue as my main class, but I am not sure if I should invest more into sorcery or might as secondary stuff or go full rogue

Mutombo

maybe someone with a bit of technical knowledge can answer this; but can balance issues be patched easily? From what I've read it seems I'll have more fun when I buy this game after it's been balanced a bit more. Because with RPG's it's statisfying to go off the path and be better... but if that's actually not encouraged because of the balance then I'll mentally restrict my own playstyle and therefore... have less fun?

Dresden

Mine is level 6 (maxed). Very useful IMO. Ok damage and it always distract the enemies. Very helpful in large mobs. I use it mostly as "mark of flame bait".

Yeah, good to hear. I took healing but I'm regretting it now; ever since I slotted in my +1 health regen gem into my robe I've never had to heal.

Mine is level 6 (maxed). Very useful IMO. Ok damage and it always distract the enemies. Very helpful in large mobs. I use it mostly as "mark of flame bait".

Does the summon allow you to more effectively use your full staff charge move?

I'm playing it on hard and going for arch mage and am only lvl 6 right now. Most enemy mobs don't allow me to use my full staff charge.

I'm loving the shit out of this game though. Gameplay, story, and art are great IMO, its hitting all the notes for me. :)))

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Number crunching question:

I currenly use the block skill in Might at level 2, which currently mitigates 15% of damage received. I also use the might/sorcery destiny that gives me 25% of damage received as mana.

Does anyone know if the 25% damage as mana is calculated AFTER damage mitigation, or before?

shaowebb

I don't see much use for the chakrams' charged attack either. With that said, the faeblades and daggers charged attacks are pretty underwhelming as well.

The charged attacks on those three weapons are actually pretty good, but not in the whole "do big damage" way. They are there to help you control the position of your guy on the field of battle.
  • Daggers help you set up go behinds on enemies so that they have to reposition to hit you which sets up free combos on single guys
  • Faeblades allows you to either push out a single opponenet when in danger of being over run to isolate him and/or to allow you to escape a crowd safely to reposition for more breathing room
  • Chakrams do a 360 degree get off me that pushes away enemies some. Since long range is usually restricted to aiming at singular targets or just a small zone in front of you a full 360 degree ranged attack is pretty nice. It buys you time to go after primary targets and such a lot.

I play a full on crowd control zoner with emphasis on distance fighting with the bow. Outside of that bow combos are welcomed, but I'm mainly about controlling as much of the battle field at once as possible. So I use lots of status effects with poison at all times, fire or Ice on my primary, and generally fire or electric from my arrows. If you dodge around a lot like me these tactics are really good in a battle and you never have to sweat it. Besides using the shield for counter hits is pretty great to setup certain moves off the finesse mastery skills too so once they get in to close I'm really just prepped to use counter hits on them and don't sweat it. Think of those attacks more as a setup for something big instead of AS your something big and you'll fall in love with them. Remember to block cancel into the charge for better chances of using it in combat situations.

oktarb

Besides stats, is there a mechanic behind cloth, leather, plate? Is plate louder when you stealth? Do you run faster in cloth and leather than in plate?

Also besides visually how can you tell what is plate vs leather. I'm starting to get more exotic armor and on one set I wasn't sure if it was plate or leather. If none of the above is true I guess it doesn't matter.

scy

From what I've heard, it never gets all that challenging, even later on.

I disagree. Fights are definitely harder in the sense that it takes less of a mistake on my end to really suffer for it. Sure, I could potion spam through everything but I wouldn't really say the game is "easy" due to it; the fact it necessitated the spamming should win it some points.

You can definitely break the game, however, and make yourself nearly invulnerable, spam potions forever, and use Reckoning to completely stomp bosses out one-sidedly ... but the game is still unforgiving if you let it.

It's similar to Demon/Dark Souls in that way; punishing if you make a mistake but you can find ways to trivialize that difficulty.

Besides stats, is there a mechanic behind cloth, leather, plate? Is plate louder when you stealth? Do you run faster in cloth and leather than in plate?

Also besides visually how can you tell what is plate vs leather. I'm starting to get more exotic armor and on one set I wasn't sure if it was plate or leather. If none of the above is true I guess it doesn't matter.

Plate requires Might, Leather requires Finesse, and Cloth requires Sorcery. Nothing besides that as far as I can tell.

Dresden

You can tell by the bonuses they give, probably. Also the might/finesse/sorcery reqs.

Seems to be that there is no difference between cloth, leather and plate other than stats. You can sneak just as well in full plate as you can in leather or cloth.

Keikaku

Sorry if this was covered already but does anyone have a clear answer to the character slot issue?

Can you really only run one character at a time?

dokish

Banned
Yeah, good to hear. I took healing but I'm regretting it now; ever since I slotted in my +1 health regen gem into my robe I've never had to heal.

I think one point (and one point only) in the healing magic is mandatory, because lets you save a lot of potions, and the HP that it fills is pretty good.

Sorry if this was covered already but does anyone have a clear answer to the character slot issue?

Can you really only run one character at a time?

Create a new profile, create a new character. Very easy.

daedalius

I'd rather use the greatsword, but it is just so slow; if the windup on some of the swings was just a bit faster I would probably use GS/Chakrams.

Maybe once I can get up to that celerity skill in Might, I'll respec back to GS since it increases your attack speed significantly.

Quake is amazing, but getting interrupted during it is pretty annoying.

goober

So I played with the demo again and messed around with the options to see if I can get better performance.

I turned off Vertical Sync and my FPS skyrocketed.

It's now a constant 70+ with drops only during combat.

What's the difference between Simple and Standard in the Shaders option?

Aaron

It's similar to Demon/Dark Souls in that way; punishing if you make a mistake but you can find ways to trivialize that difficulty.
How many hours in does it get punishing? Because that's what I want. At a little over three hours, even when enemies hit me I only get scratched. I haven't had to use potions or reckoning since the troll fight in the tutorial dungeon. I'm not even using the cheesy mass effect armor.

vaelic

Banned
I'm only 4 hours or so into the game now, but I think hard mode is definitely the way to go. As I'm getting better equipment and adding gems to my armor, it's getting easier. I can't imagine if i started on a lower difficulty level. Some spots have actually been a challenge compared to the demo, which is a very good thing.

A developer already stated the loot is the same on all modes so just because you're on hard mode doesn't mean you're getting better loot than normal mode

gogojira

Torn on which route to go. I know you can respec, but any opinions on Might/Finesse versus all out finesse? If I were to go with the former, I'd likely still be wearing light armor over plate, wouldn't I?

I guess if I want a plate-wearing dual-wielding beast, it looks like I'd have to go mostly might, with some in finesse.

Top Bottom