• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Just started stage 7 this morning and I agree with a lot of people here that Stage 6 was pretty great overall. I'm playing on Hard and really enjoy the difficulty of the game; such immense satisfaction when you run into an area with 3+ enemies and you manage to dodge everything (just barely) an clear it unscathed.

I'm really glad I put in the hours on that Knack's Quest iOS app and got a fair number of unlocks before firing the game for the first time. By the time I got to stage 6 I had the Relic Finder, Secret Area Finder, and Transmuter gadget completed; the latter which has really changed how I engage mobs if there's a sunstone in the area. Looking forward to finally getting that Combo Meter as well as a complete set of crystal relics.

Grinchy

Banned
After reading such positive impressions in here, I guess I'll go ahead and keep my copy. I might be more curious to see if I agree/disagree with the varying opinions than I am excited to play the game at this point.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Check the download list in your notification area. The download may come in multiple pieces, perhaps. You may have just the first small piece which lets you start the game, and the larger piece may be the remainder of the game.

Can you start the game yet? It may make more sense to you when you check download list.
There's nothing in the download list, and the storage management says the game is taking 36GB (which should be its full size). Yeah I can start the game and play it, but here's what it says in the menu:

10951818706_9abda27991_o.png

304 hours, lol. (I haven't reached ch4).

I'm glad to see all the positive impressions in this thread

I thought I was going mad actually enjoying the game while I was playing it

Sure I wish the camera wasn't fixed and sure I'd prefer more checkpoints but I didn't want to put the game down honestly

It was very fun and the final boss was a good boss fight not amazing but really built on almost all other enemy types you had to fight

Only real gripe is that you can't New Game+ at a harder difficulty, would love to bring my gadgets unlocked in normal to a hard mode game

Danziger

After reading such positive impressions in here, I guess I'll go ahead and keep my copy. I might be more curious to see if I agree/disagree with the varying opinions than I am excited to play the game at this point.

Me too!! I have per order my copy of Knack for The PS4 Europen Launch!!

graywolf323

just beat the game and I enjoyed it

I think Rev 3's review might have been most spot on but I'd have given it a 3.5/5

edit: also I enjoyed the story and characters more than they did, it was about as good as most Saturday morning cartoons

Meelapo

Neo Member
Has anyone noticed any lip sync issues during the cut-scenes? Granted I haven't played much but the lips were way out of sync with the voice during the introduction scene.

Has anyone noticed any lip sync issues during the cut-scenes? Granted I haven't played much but the lips were way out of sync with the voice during the introduction scene.

Well isn't it made by Sony's Japanese studio? Might be possible the animations were done in sync with Japanese

Probably not though I suppose

Yuterald

Chapter 8 housed the best areas/levels in the game. The machinery stage with the conveyor belts, moving pistons, and air gust segments showcased what I wanted to see more of from this game. Knack's best when it's outside and focused on traps/hazards in tight spaces. Just got to 10-2, will probably clear my first run of Hard tomorrow night after work.

vilmer_

Just finished the game and I most definitely enjoyed it. It's definitely a throwback game for sure. Aside from some longer-than-they-should-be levels and the framerate taking a massive dive at times it kept me intrigued throughout. Loved the oomph of the combat, the character designs and I enjoyed the music as well. It may come off as a kids game, but it can get pretty difficult at times and you can't just button mash your way through it or you will get pissed off pretty fast.

Personally I'd give it a 7.5/10 and I do hope there's a sequel down the road. This game on metacritic is currently sitting at Haze and Lair levels. Haze and Lair, try to wrap your head around that one. I think reviewers were expecting some groundbreaking game when that's the total opposite of what I think Mark Cerny was trying to pull off. It's a fun and quirky little game and I'd recommend it to anyone who can look past review scores.

Eusis

uhh how do I setup co-op for vita second screen?
I have a suspicion that it'll assume you're whoever the PSN Vita account is for and go with that. Try using the controller as a guest to confirm?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if they make a sequel what do people want done with it? Some of the more open areas made me wish the whole game coudl actually be designed like that, large sprawling areas akin to Mario 64 or something. BUt then I've always liked more open design over more linear stuff.

I have a suspicion that it'll assume you're whoever the PSN Vita account is for and go with that. Try using the controller as a guest to confirm?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if they make a sequel what do people want done with it? Some of the more open areas made me wish the whole game coudl actually be designed like that, large sprawling areas akin to Mario 64 or something. BUt then I've always liked more open design over more linear stuff.

I think psvita is just mirroring the ps4 display right? so player 1 use Vita, and on PS4 someone can use dualshock 4 controller as guest and play as player 2 Robo Knack.

haven't played Knack, but if they make a sequel, I want it to be like Jak and Daxter.

Foxix Von

Oh man! I just got to play knack co-op on hard. It's balls hard solo but in co-op it's loads of fun. Holy smokes did this game get snubbed.

Gamespawn

There's nothing in the download list, and the storage management says the game is taking 36GB (which should be its full size). Yeah I can start the game and play it, but here's what it says in the menu:

10951818706_9abda27991_o.png

304 hours, lol. (I haven't reached ch4).

Don't worry about it. I had this and Killzone going and in both games it was just like yours. Just put your system in standby when not using it and it will auto-complete the rest.

Kurod

Banned
Watching Joe is kinda painful. He's playing normal co-op, letting player 2 kill things while he hangs back, then complains that it's too easy.

Also, I've unlocked Vampire Knack and Brittle Knack and am still getting the ruby and aqua gems. Unlocking Diamond Knack is going to take awhile...

Edit: And now Joe's dying repeatedly hah

Vysetron

Neo Member
I watched about 5 minutes of the Joe stream before I had to turn it off. He spent all that time dying to the same early section in chapter 3 and complaining about it. And this guy's opinions carry weight? I'm starting to understand why the critic scores are weak.

FrsDvl

This game is really lots of fun! Decided to play it on hard, and damn. This game can be quite hard at times. I'm glad there is no such thing as game over in this game, cause I don't think I'd ever play this again.. I die so much, but after dying and then finally getting past that certain part feels wonderful, especially if you can get past it without getting hurt. Kinda wish there were a few more checkpoints though. And it looks so pretty in certain areas!

I just finished chapter 3. I still find myself dying a lot on normal. The game kind of chugged a bit leading up to that boss fight. They really should've capped it at 30fps. I'm mainly a PC gamer so I'm admittedly sensitive to this, but the judder caused by the fluctuating frame rate kind of kills it.

I finally manage to finish Knack and I believe this will be one of the most UNDER rated games of this generation. The game is not perfect but very fun and challenging. The REV3 review was spot on and i would rate it a 7.5/10. I hope there will be a sequel that expands on a lot of the great ideals in this game.

One thing though. Knack should have been a "silent" character. He voice was very off-putting. He would have been a much more charming character with out the deep manly voice.

Has any one else experience the PS4 freezing during Knack cut scenes? It's happened to me three times so far. Only during cut scenes and it's only froze during Knack no other game.

Nightz

Has any one else experience the PS4 freezing during Knack cut scenes? It's happened to me three times so far. Only during cut scenes and it's only froze during Knack no other game.

Just had one happen for the first time in Chapter 9-2
right when they find Charlotte :mad:

Everdred

Watching Joe is kinda painful. He's playing normal co-op, letting player 2 kill things while he hangs back, then complains that it's too easy.

Also, I've unlocked Vampire Knack and Brittle Knack and am still getting the ruby and aqua gems. Unlocking Diamond Knack is going to take awhile...

Edit: And now Joe's dying repeatedly hah
I'm really curious how long this game will take to 100%, seems like a long time.

Bebpo

Banned
At world 5 and Knack's really become my favorite PS4 game. I even like the story. It's simple but it has characters and a plot of adventure and that's more than you can say about a lot of games these days.

At first I was enjoying it but also thinking "I probably wouldn't be particularly excited for a sequel" but now I'd totally play a Knack 2. I hope the probably decent->good sales due to it being a launch game will offset the low review scores and allow a sequel to be greenlit. It's a really nice start for a new Sony action platformer series and with Ratchet on its way out, they could certainly use a new franchise in the genre.

Also I was showing PS4 games to one of my friends and Knack was the only game they really enjoyed out of the launch titles and were impressed by the visual leap from PS3/X360.

Top Bottom