• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

PaulloDEC

This game is harder than I thought even on normal.

Yup, I opted to play on normal and I'm regularly getting my ass kicked.Things I'd taken for granted in other games don't come into play here; for example, dodging in most games I've played makes you pretty much invulnerable from all sides, whereas here you have to actually dodge in a logical direction to avoid being hit. Seems like a small thing, but it really changes the way you think about the combat.

Played a little earlier and I'm rather enjoying it. Fun game that seems challenging. Graphically it's basic but nice and colourful.

Trying to get 2 player to work over remote play but haven't succeeded yet. I'll try getting it ready before loading a level to see if that works instead.

viveks86

OMFG! Just beat knack on hard!!! People should play this game just for chapter 11 and 12!! Was so much fun!!! The boss fights, the ending, the credits
(ROTFL!)

I was going to give the game an 8, but just the last 2 chapters were enough for me to forgive the otherwise repetitive nature of the game (which is really my ONLY gripe). This game gets an 8.75. So good! LOL at the 'professional' reviews.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Played the first few chapters. It seems pretty good thus far. If Knack and friends had better art direction it probably wouldn't have been reviewed so harshly.

Got to the final boss on my first play through on Normal last night, it was late and i didn't quite have it in me to finish him off. Enjoyed the game though. Was exactly what i was hoping it'd be. An original action platformer with just enough charm and length to make it worthwhile.

I rally don't understand how the professional reviews were so off with this, it's such a gem.
I hope it sold a boatload so we get a sequel.

Deadstar

I rally don't understand how the professional reviews were so off with this, it's such a gem.

I think there is a ton of potential for a sequel. They should really have a lot of different elements that Knack can use. Wood, sand, rock, glass. It would be cool if these gave him different abilities. I think one thing the game needs is more varied levels. More platforming and a deeper move set.

acklame

I agree, I'm enjoying Knack quite a bit. It has its flaws but it's fun and way better than what the reviews make it out to be.

So I played through the first 2 chapters this evening (while streaming on Twitch with no more than 1 person watching at a time, lol) and I really liked it so far. Each encounter is like a little puzzle. Can see it getting repetitive, but if I take it in small spurts I think I'll really enjoy this one.

viveks86

Some screenshots I shared from the game (facebook quality):
1417823_1379483408966795_394165364_o.jpg

1398998_1379483568966779_368559965_o.jpg

1415513_1379483898966746_528380284_o.jpg

1401336_1379483482300121_1757569283_o.jpg

1398334_1380187775563025_582368304_o.jpg

1402925_1380202908894845_679690197_o.jpg

More at: My 'Gaf' facebook

Elvick

Banned
I completed aqua. When does it or how do change into him?
You have to start a new game, it'll give you an option to pick which Knack to use. but if you want to get all the trophies it's best to go through and continue as normal Knack to get the parts (and more gems). The parts reset when you start a new game, if you continue you keep them.

Played co-op with my girlfriend for a little while. Wow. Not fun. Way too easy. Maybe on a harder difficulty it would be better.
I haven't played co-op, but did watch a normal playthrough on co-op (and I played normal) and it looks SIGNIFICANTLY easier.

And it makes sense. You're not the only target of the enemies. You're not forced to tackle enemies one at a time anymore. So there's more coming at you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm having some fun here as well, but man, the framerate is absolutely driving me insane.

This needs to be locked down to 30 fps. It runs just slightly faster than 30 which results in constant judder which produces a jerky image. It's hideous and really damaging the experience.

At least Killzone runs well above 30 fps most of the time (even though it bothers me there too). Knack looks so jerky in motion.

A 30 fps lock would really improve the visuals quite a bit.

PaulloDEC

So am I not paying enough attention, or are the chests in Chapter 5 crazy well-hidden? I'm up to 5-3 now and I don't think I've found a single one. Haven't had much trouble finding them in prior chapters either.

I'm having some fun here as well, but man, the framerate is absolutely driving me insane.

This needs to be locked down to 30 fps. It runs just slightly faster than 30 which results in constant judder which produces a jerky image. It's hideous and really damaging the experience.

At least Killzone runs well above 30 fps most of the time (even though it bothers me there too). Knack looks so jerky in motion.

A 30 fps lock would really improve the visuals quite a bit.

I feel like they could go either way in the future; that is, either beef up the visuals a little and lock to 30, or hit the optimizations hard and lock to 60. I'd love to see the latter happen, but if the former would clean up some of the weird shuddering/juddering issues, I'd be cool with that too.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished my first playthrough. First PS4 game cleared, woohoo! So on the final boss, how are you actually supposed to dodge the fire beam lasers when he's in the invincible phase with the shield? I kept trying and could never figure it out, they'd spawn instantly and since I'd be so big it'd just always hit me. Ended up beating him by just using sunstone whirlwhind's invincibility frames to sit that part out.

Fun game, had a terrible run in terms of loot which was disappointing. Didn't even get halfway to any forms, and only finished 2 gadgets (had a couple that were 1 away from completion but kept only getting crystals for the last few chapters). The 2 gadgets I did finish, 1 was useless (relic indicator) and the other (combo meter) was useful but I didn't even get it until 11-1. I'd say that's one of the easiest way's they could've made the game 10x better was to make it easier to unlock stuff as you progress on your first run. It feels like there's almost no progression if you get a run like mine and don't get your gadgets.

Gameplay was solid. Another thing they should've done is make each form unique. There was like nothing unique about any of the forms outside maybe fire. Ice form should've had freeze attacks, big form should've had I dunno, special AoE big attacks. It just seems kind of pointless when getting story-forms never changed anything gameplay-wise. Even your basic 3 hit combo animation stays the same.

Liked the characters and story until the last few chapters when it really felt rushed and underdeveloped. Oh well.

Graphics were amazing. This is hands down the most impressive "next-gen" game on the visual front imo. The lighting and textures, the animation and motion blur, everything just looks only a slight step away from being a playable dreamworks CG film. Incredibly impressive game. Maybe stuff like Ryse or Killzone has better tech (having played KZ, I kind of doubt it), but good looking FPS games or God of War type stuff is nothing new and we've seen it all before. This is really the first AAA high budget visuals colorful platformer and it's like nothing else in the gaming market from a visual standpoint. If they do a Knack 2 and can get it to 60fps...it'll be a show stopper.

It's a 7.5/10 game, but a very good launch game. Light on content, good looking and fun. Exactly what launch games should be. Probably should've been even shorter which would've helped the repetition complaints.

Not sure if I'll do another run. Would be fun to unlock a form and finish my damn gadgets but eh, other games to get to first.

So am I not paying enough attention, or are the chests in Chapter 5 crazy well-hidden? I'm up to 5-3 now and I don't think I've found a single one. Haven't had much trouble finding them in prior chapters either.

Some chapters don't have any secrets at all iirc. They are not spread out very evenly.

whiteape

Is there any way to save? When i quit the game after a respawn point (where you start when killed) i have to do the whole level again.

SRTtoZ

Is there any way to save? When i quit the game after a respawn point (where you start when killed) i have to do the whole level again.

You need to quit at the beginning of chapters since that's where you'll start when you boot it up (5-1,5-2,5-3) etc

Just been playing the 2 player co op with the Vita. Amazing stuff. I didn't have a second Dualshock but this works just as well. Really impressed with that. Hope more 2 player games do this. Only wish (or maybe you can somehow?) you could have the screen turn off for this part especially as I don't need it I'd I'm watching the big screen.

But the game is just a fun little game. It's not mind blowing in anyway but it plays nice and looks nice (albeit unspectacular but shows potential for what we can look forward to). I think it seems to be an underrated game. Coop ups the fun too, especially if you have young ones, it's a good family game that can also be challenging on higher difficulties. It's a nice bit of platforming and action, nothing too varied but all enjoyable. Story doesn't seem too bad and doesn't drag the game down. Characters are decent and so is the acting.

Really happy I picked it up. Though it was in my bundle so it worked out cheap. Maybe it's not a full price buy but for cheaper it's a good buy.

dark10x

I feel like they could go either way in the future; that is, either beef up the visuals a little and lock to 30, or hit the optimizations hard and lock to 60. I'd love to see the latter happen, but if the former would clean up some of the weird shuddering/juddering issues, I'd be cool with that too.
I would love 60 fps in whatever they do next, but this game could look so much better than it does now at a solid 30. Lego Marvel is a perfect example of thing. Using excellent motion blur combined with a stable framerate produces much smoother, CG-like motion that would be perfect for Knack.

I would love 60 fps in whatever they do next, but this game could look so much better than it does now at a solid 30. Lego Marvel is a perfect example of thing. Using excellent motion blur combined with a stable framerate produces much smoother, CG-like motion that would be perfect for Knack.

It is weird but games last gen that had HORRID judder like Fat Princess and LBP, I just turned my TV to its 120Hz setting, aka mild soap opera setting, and it honestly fixed everything. Maybe a tiny bit of input lag but judder in those above mentioned games was unbearable on my 42 inch.

How bad is judder in this?

alterno69

Banned
What the hell is wrong with reviewers?

Played three chapters yesterday with my seven year old son, normal dificulty. I'm Knack and he is the silver dude. The way they set up coop is brilliant and more games should do it, especially games aimed for kids. Basically the second character is invincible and more powerful. Loving the game, the combat is fun and challenging, graphics are great IMO and the music is fucking awesome. Voice acting and animation are also really good. No way this game is a 5 so far, i'd give it an 8 based on my experience so far and my kid is loving it. I have more fun playing this coop than Lego Marvel Heroes, now that game is the definition of repetitive.

dark10x

It is weird but games last gen that had HORRID judder like Fat Princess and LBP, I just turned my TV to its 120Hz setting, aka mild soap opera setting, and it honestly fixed everything. Maybe a tiny bit of input lag but judder in those above mentioned games was unbearable on my 42 inch.

How bad is judder in this?
It's *MUCH* worse than those games, which I never found to be all that bothersome as they were capped at 30 fps.

Knack is unlocked and generally hovers between 32-40 fps which kills any consistency.

Is the game slow and basic throughout the entire game? I played the demo at a store, and it felt boring and simple. Does the game get more interesting in terms of gameplay speed and fluidity?

dorkimoe

This is this generations Kameo. I am having a blast with this game. Its not a hard game that requires though at all really but it's a blast and its a good game to relax and play. I really hope we get a sequel, I am about halfway done or a little more probably.

But like kameo..we probably won't get another.

I will probably have to do 2 playthroughs, maybe unlock a few extra things. Not going to do the 5-6 playthroughs that some people are reporting to finish the crystal knack

Sorc3r3r

So, it's absolutely anedoctal, but my 5 y.o. kid is enjoying this way more than 3d world.
For a kid, the game is put together perfectly.
Linear corridors, little arenas with fixed camera, co op mechanic that focus on knack always, few commands, fast action, knack grows! lol
The challenge ramps up slowly, bit after bit, and recalling always something you have learned to master before.

Btw i'm enjoying it too.

Reviewers missed the point of this game in my opinion.

Iacobellis

To anyone that added me already, I'm probably not going to have the game until Christmas. If you do add me for Knack, let me know in the request!

I will probably have to do 2 playthroughs, maybe unlock a few extra things. Not going to do the 5-6 playthroughs that some people are reporting to finish the crystal knack

You are only going to need 3 playthroughs tops to platinum the game let alone just unlock diamond knack. No need to go through things 6 times :) plenty of solid strategies put forth in this thread by people that have finished the game.

It certainly gets harder but if you're asking if more mechanics are shown then no. What you do in hour 1 is what you're doing in hour 10, the only thing that changes are the encounter designs and how difficult they get.

That's actually what I like about the game. You've only got a few tools in your bag but a host of different enemies with different abilities, attack patterns, etc... So it becomes a puzzle of how you're going to move past the area with your limited repertoire; to say nothing of if you're going for those combo trophies. Tough stuff.

Derrick01

Banned
Is the game slow and basic throughout the entire game? I played the demo at a store, and it felt boring and simple. Does the game get more interesting in terms of gameplay speed and fluidity?

It certainly gets harder but if you're asking if more mechanics are shown then no. What you do in hour 1 is what you're doing in hour 10, the only thing that changes are the encounter designs and how difficult they get.

viveks86

Just finished my first playthrough. First PS4 game cleared, woohoo!
So on the final boss, how are you actually supposed to dodge the fire beam lasers when he's in the invincible phase with the shield?

You mean the ones that create the wall of fire or the blue-ish ones that run across the ground?

I finished that entire segment by running sideways in a big circle, dodging without standing still. For the beams that run across the ground, do a double jump and air dash (right stick). For the wall of fire, just keep running left or right very close to the outer ring of the arena. They never seemed to reach that far.

I haven't been able to collect pieces from the iOS app for days. Anyone else? It is grayed out on the PS4 when the game is paused. I know I have things to collect because they are on the iOS app. I am signed in on both the ps4 and iPhone. Any ideas?

I haven't been able to collect pieces from the iOS app for days. Anyone else? It is grayed out on the PS4 when the game is paused. I know I have things to collect because they are on the iOS app. I am signed in on both the ps4 and iPhone. Any ideas?

When you fire up the app, make sure you are signed in. Click on the Unlocks tab and it'll automatically send stuff over to Knack if there's anything to send.

As far as the Recieve button in-game being greyed-out, it'll only be lit up when there are gadget parts to receive that you don't already have or crystal relic parts.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just finished my first playthrough. First PS4 game cleared, woohoo! So on the final boss, how are you actually supposed to dodge the fire beam lasers when he's in the invincible phase with the shield?
You need to lead him a bit then go in the the other direction. Just before he deploys the next set of lasers, head in the opposite direction. Have to get the timing right, but once you get it, they're a cinch to out maneuver (same for his purple grenades).

Ricky_R

I'm at chapter 5-3 and I've been having a blast. Glad I kept the game after reading most impressions here. I really hope Sony lets Cerny work on a sequel since the solid foundation is there. He just needs to work on the variety of attacks.

Also, I know that the game kinda limits the amount of relics you can get per area so there's a balance in every enemy encounter, but it would be nice if there was a bit more freedom and we were able to get Knack as big as we would like whenever we wanted.

That would probably make the game more easy though so I don't mind.

Bebpo

Banned
It's *MUCH* worse than those games, which I never found to be all that bothersome as they were capped at 30 fps.

Knack is unlocked and generally hovers between 32-40 fps which kills any consistency.

The only time I notice judder is in the cutscene transitions or the first few stages. How far are you? I think the game gets both better looking and smoother later on. Some parts feels close to 60fps and it looks really nice.

NFS on the other hand looks awful to me on ps4. Not sure if it's because of the judder but it's very unappealing visually.

Top Bottom