• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Any more Knack buds who want to add me please do. Gonna be playing Need for Speed later tonight, too. It's pretty badass. Mountains with snow are incredible. PSN same as here.

banjo5150

I love the look of the 8th stage.
iDysxeroPGOLp.png

ibbasxsGidv5Ks.png

izQtISHnRKUK.png

Agree I was just kinda feeling the game. Once I hit the 8th stage I really felt that old school feel Cerny was talking about. Really liked the music in the 8th level felt like it was 15 years ago. Anyone else feel the graphics get a lot better as you progress?

Derrick01

Banned
My 2nd playthrough has been far kinder to me with diamonds so far. I only got 2 in my entire 1st run and at the very start of chapter 4 I have another 2 already. I guess not getting gadget parts anymore is helping the odds a bit.

Aceun

I really love the credits.

I played it on normal so it's a bummer that I have to play through on hard with no gadgets. It means I have at least 3 playthroughs ahead of me and it's not a short game. I'm cruising on hard though which is a good sign.

Oddly enough, this is the game I keep coming back to, even more than Resogun.

My 2nd playthrough has been far kinder to me with diamonds so far. I only got 2 in my entire 1st run and at the very start of chapter 4 I have another 2 already. I guess not getting gadget parts anymore is helping the odds a bit.

You already got lucky on the first run. 2 is considered good.

Aspiring

Currently playing this co op with my 4 year old and honestly is the best launch title so far. It's just fun and charming. Graphics are nice and it's just pure fun. Probably a little biased as this is the first game me and my son will finish together and play properly but man is it entertaining. This gens Kameo for sure!

bumpkin

Has anyone else been playing Knack's Quest on iOS a bunch to unlock items/gadgets for their PS4 game? Is there any sort of daily item sending limit? I have a ton in Quest, but only like five showed up for transfer into my game last night.

Apdiddy

Up to Chapter 6-2.

I really love
Chapter 5-3 & 5-4. It's like they took the Scarecrow sections from Arkham Asylum, added a bit of Uncharted and Jak II to it, and had its own unique spin on things with Knack's powers.

Danziger

I can not wait to try this game! :)

I did insanity, and despite the reviews are not positive, I decided to take it!

This game has something that inspires me!

Has anyone else been playing Knack's Quest on iOS a bunch to unlock items/gadgets for their PS4 game? Is there any sort of daily item sending limit? I have a ton in Quest, but only like five showed up for transfer into my game last night.

Gadget parts you already have will not show up in-game, but crystals will always show up regardless if you've already unlocked that particular form. What's nice is that it appears that you'll be able to re-receive those gadget parts (at least) from KQ when you start a new game on Knack (e.g. your Very Hard playthrough).

bumpkin

Gadget parts you already have will not show up in-game, but crystals will always show up regardless if you've already unlocked that particular form. What's nice is that it appears that you'll be able to re-receive those gadget parts (at least) from KQ when you start a new game on Knack (e.g. your Very Hard playthrough).
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info. :)

SigSig

I don't know how representative it is, but Knack seems to be a hit with kids (at least in Germany)?
Whenever I'm at my local consumer electronics shop, there are lots of schoolkids basically swarming the demo-PS4 to play it - and they are pretty enthusiastic about it.

Takes me back to when I was in school and we would play DOA3 on the local Demo-Xbox :)

Pastry

Banned
Does anyone know how to connect Knack's Quest to the game to get your items from there? I'm on the second level in the game and connected the app to my PSN account but the items haven't shown up.

I think I'm finally done with this game:

1421313_10202689982394732_1164473797_o.jpg

Was fun, but I do admit that I found this platinum a little more annoying than most games, even though technically it didn't take all that long to get. Something about having to replay the game so many times (it took me 4 total playthroughs) just irks me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So how do the unlockables work? If you complete a device, it carries over to even a New Game on a different difficulty, but you lose all of the parts for incomplete devices?

RobbieNick

For those brand new to Knack (like me), I just got the game yesterday and seeing how frustrated many critics were with the difficulty, I decided to start it on easy. This really feels like the proper difficulty. I was still dying a few times, but not so much that it ever felt really frustrating and it was always something I did wrong.

That said, maybe it's just that I'm still early in the game (Goblin Village), but it still feels very, very basic. I'm not complaining about the fact that very few buttons are needed, but the level design offers nothing much outside of going from point A to point B. Like a PS1 platformer/brawler with PS4 graphics.

Good job King! How long did it take you get diamond knack?

I got a total of 2 diamonds on my first 2 playthroughs on Normal. After I learned about the reset trick, I started a third playthrough on Normal, and before I got to chapter 5 I had the remaining 8. That was about 5 hours. So it took about 5 hours I guess.

In theory, the most efficient way to go for platinum would be something like this:

1) Play Knack's Quest for about 30 minutes, to get some gadget parts.
2) Start on Hard, always do the chapter reset trick for easy-to-get-to chests. After about 5 hours, you should have Diamond Knack and be somewhere in chapter 6 or 7.
3) Always take emeralds if you see them from a friend's chest.
4) After you beat the game, restart on Hard to finish up emeralds and any other unlocks.
5) Play Knack's Quest again for another 30 minutes to get some more gadget parts.
6) Play on Very Hard.

If you have an SSD in your PS4, you can cut your diamond farming time in half (literally). So it's really pretty fast to do the diamonds once you get into a routine. Skip every monster that you don't have to kill, and for the ones that you do have to kill, just blast them with Circle + Triangle.

bumpkin

For those brand new to Knack (like me), I just got the game yesterday and seeing how frustrated many critics were with the difficulty, I decided to start it on easy. This really feels like the proper difficulty. I was still dying a few times, but not so much that it ever felt really frustrating and it was always something I did wrong.

That said, maybe it's just that I'm still early in the game (Goblin Village), but it still feels very, very basic. I'm not complaining about the fact that very few buttons are needed, but the level design offers nothing much outside of going from point A to point B. Like a PS1 platformer/brawler with PS4 graphics.
I did the same thing (started a game on easy). Once I get through it, I'll probably replay it on normal and see how I fare.

Matchew

I got a total of 2 diamonds on my first 2 playthroughs on Normal. After I learned about the reset trick, I started a third playthrough on Normal, and before I got to chapter 5 I had the remaining 8. That was about 5 hours. So it took about 5 hours I guess.

In theory, the most efficient way to go for platinum would be something like this:

1) Play Knack's Quest for about 30 minutes, to get some gadget parts.
2) Start on Hard, always do the chapter reset trick for easy-to-get-to chests. After about 5 hours, you should have Diamond Knack and be somewhere in chapter 6 or 7.
3) Always take emeralds if you see them from a friend's chest.
4) After you beat the game, restart on Hard to finish up emeralds and any other unlocks.
5) Play Knack's Quest again for another 30 minutes to get some more gadget parts.
6) Play on Very Hard.

If you have an SSD in your PS4, you can cut your diamond farming time in half (literally). So it's really pretty fast to do the diamonds once you get into a routine. Skip every monster that you don't have to kill, and for the ones that you do have to kill, just blast them with Circle + Triangle.

Thanks for the tips. I wish I started on Hard, just beat it on normal and only got 1 diamond. What chapter is the best to farm chests on?

Thanks for the tips. I wish I started on Hard, just beat it on normal and only got 1 diamond. What chapter is the best to farm chests on?

Almost every chapter. There's only about 2-3 chapters before 6-1 or so that arent' farmable. As soon as the first chest in the zone yields a diamond, then go on to the next chapter.

bumpkin

Can anyone help me with this?
What I did was go into my game on PS4, and then open Knack's Quest on your iPhone and sign into PSN. If it worked, you'll see an icon pop up on your tv in the upper right. Pause the PS4 game and go into Options. You should see a choice to the effect of "receive items."

Definitely not straight-forward. :(

PaulloDEC

PS4 launched this morning in Australia, so I finally got a chance to get my Knack on. I really like the rhythm of the combat in this game; having only learned to play the Arkham games properly with Origins (by properly I mean actually using timed button presses rather than just mashing), I feel like the habits I gained are really handy here. I like the feeling of having to pick your moments and develop a flow to the combat.

Apdiddy

Chapter 11-5.

Good God, is this battle with Katrina hard even on Normal mode.

Starting to regret my purchase of this game.

I don't know why reviews gave low scores to Knack. I'm having a BLAST with this game !!!!

It's really fun, old school like platforming. I love the powers and getting big is just so much fun ! Graphics are simple but very nice, i love the controls and music. The game is relaxing and challenging at the same time.

I will come home tonight and play more Knack for sure !

Chapter 11-5.

Good God, is this battle with Katrina hard even on Normal mode.

Starting to regret my purchase of this game.

You have to be aggressive. All her moves are really telegraphed, and you get lots of sunstone power. If you want to play it safe, use the tornado when she goes into the tired phase, to make sure you get some good hits on her before she recovers.

I think I'm finally done with this game:

Was fun, but I do admit that I found this platinum a little more annoying than most games, even though technically it didn't take all that long to get. Something about having to replay the game so many times (it took me 4 total playthroughs) just irks me.

Congrats, mang! Personally I don't think you needed to go through it that many times if you had started on Hard :) I'm on chapter 8 of my second playthrough and need one more diamond to unlock D.Knack and be done with the collectibles. Once that's done I'll mop up the other trophies via chapter select and then save my last two trophies, the Very Hard run and all bosses w/ DK, for the end. So 2.5/3 playthroughs seem about right if you plan it out.

Your strategy about using Knack's Quest to augment your crystal/gadget collecting is spot on. Farming for diamonds on your second playthrough with certain chests will net you that diamond in no time. I definitely agree that the NG+ was not well implemented (with no collectible carry-overs) and makes platting a lot more tedious than it needs to be. But given that tediousness, a platinum here is hard-earned so good job!

Congrats, mang! Personally I don't think you needed to go through it that many times if you had started on Hard :) I'm on chapter 8 of my second playthrough and need one more diamond to unlock D.Knack and be done with the collectibles. Once that's done I'll mop up the other trophies via chapter select and then save my last two trophies, the Very Hard run and all bosses w/ DK, for the end. So 2.5/3 playthroughs seem about right if you plan it out.

Your strategy about using Knack's Quest to augment your crystal/gadget collecting is spot on. Farming for diamonds on your second playthrough with certain chests will net you that diamond in no time. I definitely agree that the NG+ was not well implemented (with no collectible carry-overs) and makes platting a lot more tedious than it needs to be. But given that tediousness, a platinum here is hard-earned so good job!

Yea it's definitely not necessary if you do it right, but I just went into the game blind without reading a platinum guide first, and by the time I realized my mistake it was too late (I had already beaten the game on Normal and had a diamond and a few emeralds, and didn't want to lose them since it was so rare, so I had to keep going on Normal).

I think they could fix the annoying factor by either a) letting diamonds be shared with friends, or b) allowing crystals to carry over on NG+. Without the reset trick (which I'm sure they didn't intend), it's literally 7+ playthroughs to get all the necessary diamonds, which is outrageous.

Oh, and here's a tip for the final boss on Very Hard. Build up to a full bar of sunstones on the enemies after the first phase of the boss. Kill everything and walk to the end of the path, then fall off the cliff. Repeat until you're totally full. This requires you to have the sunstone battery, harvester, and double battery so that you can have 8 full circles by the time you start on the final boss.

The boss's laser while you're in small form is almost unavoidable on Very Hard and will completely rape you. BUT, you can use the tornado to not get hit. So what you do is when you're far away, you avoid say the first 3 shots of the laser, and then right as he's firing the 4th shot at you, hit your tornado and then just waltz straight up to your body and pick it up so you're big again. Once you get your body back, he'll go into attack mode. Immediately hit another tornado and walk up to him and just hit him until he phase changes.

When he gets the force field around him just double jump / dash in the air to avoid his stuff. Repeat this whole process after he makes you small again. You should be able to kill him without even getting hit. With full energy you should have 6 tornados, and you only need 4 to kill him. (two to get through the two small phases, and two to damage him on each of the damage phases).

Yea it's definitely not necessary if you do it right, but I just went into the game blind without reading a platinum guide first, and by the time I realized my mistake it was too late (I had already beaten the game on Normal and had a diamond and a few emeralds, and didn't want to lose them since it was so rare, so I had to keep going on Normal).

I think they could fix the annoying factor by either a) letting diamonds be shared with friends, or b) allowing crystals to carry over on NG+. Without the reset trick (which I'm sure they didn't intend), it's literally 7+ playthroughs to get all the necessary diamonds, which is outrageous.

Well regardless, it was well-earned :) What's next on your list of PS4 games to tackle? I think after Knack I'll dig into Contrast and Resogun, then it'll be a toss-up between KZ and AC4.

Well regardless, it was well-earned :) What's next on your list of PS4 games to tackle? I think after Knack I'll dig into Contrast and Resogun, then it'll be a toss-up between KZ and AC4.

I platinumed Resogun before Knack. I'm trying to get into AC4 but having a difficult time. If I can't get into it, then either KZ or Contrast. I also want to try Ys: Memories of Celceta and Tearaway on Vita

ssjali

Knack was the first (and only till now) game to find its way into my PS4. Playing on hard can be a little tough sometimes, but the game overall looks like fun. I am at world 2-4 at the moment and I really dont get the awful metascore (yet?).

Such a pitty that we Androids dont have the app yet...

Knack was the first (and only till now) game to find its way into my PS4. Playing on hard can be a little tough sometimes, but the game overall looks like fun. I am at world 2-4 at the moment and I really dont get the awful metascore (yet?).

Such a pitty that we Androids dont have the app yet...

It really was unnecessarily shat on by the press. If you're playing on hard and finding your rhythm you'll have a good time. A shame about no android version for the app yet but in the meantime you can always add KnackGAF to your friends list to expand your choices of loot when you find a chest.

ssjali

It really was unnecessarily shat on by the press. If you're playing on hard and finding your rhythm you'll have a good time. A shame about no android version for the app yet but in the meantime you can always add KnackGAF to your friends list to expand your choices of loot when you find a chest.

'Thanks for the heads up. Left my id in that collection thread.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I am disappointed in this game immensely. Went in thinking it was gonna be great but it turns out the game has tons of problems and get really boring about half way through. The gameplay is solid but get repetitive fast and is effected by the sometimes horrendous frame rate which can drop to 20 or worse,when certain things happen. The worst part is the story is absolutely horrible. It's worse than a straight to DVD movie. It's so bad I fact that I can't force myself to finish it. The graphics can look really good one scene and then get horrible frame rate issues the next. If this game was a clean 60 fops, it woulda been so much better any May have overcome the story and simplicity of the game. The characters are utterly forgettable with knack being one of the worse leading characters I've seen. His portrayal of a "hip, cool" character is horrible and I fucking HATE his little one line cheesy BS. This is of course just my opinion but this game is barely even worth a rent.

Apdiddy

Finally beat the game about 30 minutes ago.

Earlier I thought I regretted my purchase after the boss from Chapter 11-5.

I have mixed feelings about the game, but it's honestly better than a lot of the low scores I was seeing. What were reviewers expecting? Were they playing under time restraints? Because a lot of the game isn't bad....it's downright spectacular and there were lots of times in which I thought, "this wouldn't be possible on a PS3 and if it were, there would be a lot of slowdown/framerate dropping."

First, the positives. The art direction, the voice acting, the production values, the world design, and the soundtrack (one of the better soundtracks I've heard). Everything about this game lives up to a lot of the promises made from this past gen. It's AAA gaming but it's unique as well...it's almost like a PS1 era game made today.

The negatives for me was the gameplay though. Even on Normal mode, the enemies were a little too tough at times. Some of the boss battles weren't that great (although the final boss battle more than made up for them).

Will this be an all-time great for the PS4? Maybe....more than likely, it'll hold a Heavenly Sword like place for the PS4. It's a great game on its own and will more than likely show up in my top 10 of the year.

Finally beat the game about 30 minutes ago.

Earlier I thought I regretted my purchase after the boss from Chapter 11-5.

I have mixed feelings about the game, but it's honestly better than a lot of the low scores I was seeing. What were reviewers expecting? Were they playing under time restraints? Because a lot of the game isn't bad....it's downright spectacular and there were lots of times in which I thought, "this wouldn't be possible on a PS3 and if it were, there would be a lot of slowdown/framerate dropping."

First, the positives. The art direction, the voice acting, the production values, the world design, and the soundtrack (one of the better soundtracks I've heard). Everything about this game lives up to a lot of the promises made from this past gen. It's AAA gaming but it's unique as well...it's almost like a PS1 era game made today.

The negatives for me was the gameplay though. Even on Normal mode, the enemies were a little too tough at times. Some of the boss battles weren't that great (although the final boss battle more than made up for them).

Will this be an all-time great for the PS4? Maybe....more than likely, it'll hold a Heavenly Sword like place for the PS4. It's a great game on its own and will more than likely show up in my top 10 of the year.

The gameplay problems could been fixed with a little more fluid combat. The most frustrating thing is how your character is locked for a short time after doing a combo, combined with frequently getting one shotted its just frustrating

Played a little bit of this at my cousin's house on Thanksgiving, because he had just gotten a PS4 and wanted to show it off (idk how good of a job Knack did at that, but whatever...). Anyways, I agree with this post about it:
I could see it overstaying its welcome if they don't do a good job with enemy variety and encounter design though, we'll see. The game could have benefited from being a bit less linear and having some more platforming and the secrets are very baby mode, breakable walls and that's it. It's a really simple game but It's definitely fun to play and requires a thoughtful approach, threat prioritization plays a big part during encounters.

Top Bottom