• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Z3M0G

Chapter 2-3... the rocks... how do you break them?  There are no answers findable by google for this.  Does anyone know??

Z3M0G

Can you be more specifics? What rocks? Also what's chapter 2-3, i don't remember it off the top of my head
It is while inside the mines. There are huge rocks that can clearly be broken, but you cant break them. There are two I believe, and they are blocking paths. This is the only part of the game that they appear.

It was so early in the game that I thought nothing of it at the time. But when returning after finishing it, it is quite a mystery. Particular Knack required, perhaps...

It is while inside the mines. There are huge rocks that can clearly be broken, but you cant break them. There are two I believe, and they are blocking paths. This is the only part of the game that they appear.

It was so early in the game that I thought nothing of it at the time. But when returning after finishing it, it is quite a mystery. Particular Knack required, perhaps...

Maybe you can use share button to make a screenshot and post it here. Without seeing, it's hard to know.

robot

Grabbed this and puppeteer for $50 thanks to sales, price matches and coupons. Looking forward to playing it!

Do I need to do anything to transfer items from the iPhone game or is it automatic?

Grabbed this and puppeteer for $50 thanks to sales, price matches and coupons. Looking forward to playing it!

Do I need to do anything to transfer items from the iPhone game or is it automatic?

Sign into PSN from within the app. Then, start a new game in Knack. Press the Options button on the controller. A thing will say "Receive Item". Just click it and you get the stuff.

here is my review: 7/10

it's an interesting game with enjoyable moments but it is too focused on combat but doesn't give you many combat tools.

A dash punch has no cancelability afterwards and has lots of frames of recovery leaving you open if you use it too early.

Homing attack often as small Knack misses the target if the enemy decides to step, often causing a miss that is crucial with connect.

Homing attack sometimes puts you into harm's way when grenadiers toss grenades the same direction you bounce back from a homing attack

larger enemies have a tendency to back dash a bigger distance than your dash punch covers making it frustrating to nail an enemy after dodging a sword strike.

the combat could have been a bit better to avoid repeated frustrations of homing attack misses, dash punches coming short when enemies back dash, and you short reach of your little arms.

the randomness of Gems in Treasure chest is whack. I got like 32+ ruby stones but only 8 Diamonds after 2 and half play through.

The game could have benefited with more platforming.

Knack is at his most fun when he uses Ice relics, Wood relics, Metal relcis or stealth relics that. More stages of this sort could have added more variety.

The game is not bad but it's not great either. I hope to see future Knack sequel to plays more into his possible powers rather than repeated combat.

I like the character of Knack, I liked some of the boss fights (not all though)

here is my review: 7/10

it's an interesting game with enjoyable moments but it is too focused on combat but doesn't give you many combat tools.

A dash punch has no cancelability afterwards and has lots of frames of recovery leaving you open if you use it too early.

Homing attack often as small Knack misses the target if the enemy decides to step, often causing a miss that is crucial with connect.

Homing attack sometimes puts you into harm's way when grenadiers toss grenades the same direction you bounce back from a homing attack

larger enemies have a tendency to back dash a bigger distance than your dash punch covers making it frustrating to nail an enemy after dodging a sword strike.

the combat could have been a bit better to avoid repeated frustrations of homing attack misses, dash punches coming short when enemies back dash, and you short reach of your little arms.

the randomness of Gems in Treasure chest is whack. I got like 32+ ruby stones but only 8 Diamonds after 2 and half play through.

The game could have benefited with more platforming.

Knack is at his most fun when he uses Ice relics, Wood relics, Metal relcis or stealth relics that. More stages of this sort could have added more variety.

The game is not bad but it's not great either. I hope to see future Knack sequel to plays more into his possible powers rather than repeated combat.

I like the character of Knack, I liked some of the boss fights (not all though)

8 diamonds is actually extremely lucky on 2 playthroughs. Most people get at most 2 or 3.

drproton

Personally I appreciated this because otherwise the combat would have been far too easy.

SRTtoZ

They are really onto something with Knack, so I hope for a sequel but they need to add more in terms of gameplay. Let the player decide when to shed relics, or when to turn into a different Knack (ice/wood/metal etc), give us some sort of skill tree with unlockables etc. I understand they were going for a family friendly for everyone type of game but a 10 year old will never be your primary PS4 audience.

Z3M0G

Maybe you can use share button to make a screenshot and post it here. Without seeing, it's hard to know.

Sure, these two:

1450138_10153512401180494_654970187_n.jpg
1459223_10153512399775494_264676924_n.jpg

Sure, these two:

I knew exactly what you were talking about when you first posted your question. I spent a lot of time thinking about those rocks too and eventually just assumed they are just decoration, like the giant relic-mining machines in chapter... 3? Can't remember clearly, but there are a couple in the mines you can break for relics but then there's an encounter where there's another one in the background, behind some steel bars, and it's got all the makings of a breakable but clearly I can't do anything to it. I think the rocks are the same way; My reasoning is that the "relic finder" or "secret location detector" gadget don't sound off when you're near those boulders, or anything else you can't interact with, so I doubt there's anything behind them. I'd love to be wrong though :)

Jobo Baggins

Neo Member
Finished the game a couple days ago and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It also really grabbed my 9 year old son's attention and he ended up playing all the way to the final boss, he found the boss too hard so we ended up beating it co-op.
I think what I liked the most was just controlling Knack, it feels really good and responsive, and the weight of his attacks are very nice. It is true the game is repetitive and can feel cheap at times, but overall I think the game was simply fun to play.

Also account just verified, I can do more than read now!

GT scored Crimson Dragon above Knack... pathetic.

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/zalxz0/crimson-dragon-review

I know... "Opinions". But in this industry, opinions have the weight of the world upon them.

I still don't understand why this game scored so low. It really boggles my mind, especially since there seems to be such a high level of consensus among reviewers. I mean I'm not saying it's a great game or anything, but 56 is just really confusing to me. I think about 70 is way more reasonable. 56 should indicate a game which is fundamentally broken by design, is buggy, or just straight up doesn't work.

I still don't understand why this game scored so low. It really boggles my mind, especially since there seems to be such a high level of consensus among reviewers. I mean I'm not saying it's a great game or anything, but 56 is just really confusing to me. I think about 70 is way more reasonable. 56 should indicate a game which is fundamentally broken by design, is buggy, or just straight up doesn't work.

A rushed review cycle, poor expectation management on part of Sony + tons of schadenfreude on the part of the media outlets (towards both consoles tbh).

Kssio_Aug

Just bought Knack (Digital Version) from Amazon. My PS4 may come this weekend.
I hope I do not regret it... trully believe that this game was underscored!

Knack + Battlefield 4 so far!
(I would choose Killzone SF, but people seems really disappointed and I have already bought BF4)

Hope I can enjoy both! =)

Grinchy

Banned
I think I hate this game and I really don't want to hate it. It's just so frustrating to play. I actually thought I'd enjoy repeating segments to learn attack patterns to get through levels before I started. Now I'm realizing it's not fun to me at all. I guess I should probably start over on Normal and give it a go.

Matchew

(I would choose Killzone SF, but people seems really disappointed and I have already bought BF4)

Does expect greatness from it, but it really is a fun game. The scores it got are unfair, it's a solid 7 or 8 game.

DBT85

Looking forward to playing this even more after getting it for £27 from that Currys voucher thing a few days ago.

I know it's not perfect, but how many would consider a sequel were it to be given a bit more love and attention?

Not I. KZ:SF is a fear for the eyes and a great shooter despite the story being so... 'all over the place'.

I think I hate this game and I really don't want to hate it. It's just so frustrating to play. I actually thought I'd enjoy repeating segments to learn attack patterns to get through levels before I started. Now I'm realizing it's not fun to me at all. I guess I should probably start over on Normal and give it a go.

image.php

On a more serious note, the game is super unforgiving but it's also about finding a rhythm with the combat, animation priority with the enemies i.e. knowing their attack patterns and timing your hits; Using the dash has always been helpful for me in delivering more damage (dash + attack is more powerful) as well as quick dodge backwards after getting a punch or two in. Getting those gadgets completed will help too.

The game is really what you make of it, but playing it on Hard is the way to go imo. You'll acclimate to the combat.

Edit: Add some of the GAFers in this thread that are playing Knack to make your gadget/crystal hunting a lot easier. You're welcome to add me as well.

GT scored Crimson Dragon above Knack... pathetic.

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/zalxz0/crimson-dragon-review

I know... "Opinions". But in this industry, opinions have the weight of the world upon them.

I can't speak for the quality of Knack having not played it, my best friend is loving it however, but maybe Crimson Dragon scratches the nostalgia itch better than knack for some reviewers? It may not be to do with gameplay as such, but maybe Crimson Dragon manages to accomplish the job of being a better homage to the nostalgic game it's trying to invoke.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you even bother to write about reviewers. As my avatar can tell you, I haven't taken much stock in them :) Don't let them stop you enjoying the game

Pop

I beat Knack a couple of days ago on the hardest difficulty. I think it's a really good game. Really fun and exciting when the enemies are so tough. Knack doesn't deserve such low scores. I would give Knack a solid 7.

Co-op is an awesome time.

I love the look of the 8th stage.

Do you have a capture setup or are you using the Share button and kicking them to FB/Twitter? I have a number of pictures I want to share but I'll be damned before I sign up for FB and really don't want to make a Twitter burner account just for this. I hope Sony adds in some more flexibility in terms of export choices down the line.

I've got a great picture of Knack doing his best Brak impression.

Do you have a capture setup or are you using the Share button and kicking them to FB/Twitter? I have a number of pictures I want to share but I'll be damned before I sign up for FB and really don't want to make a Twitter burner account just for this. I hope Sony adds in some more flexibility in terms of export choices down the line.

You can make a fake FB account if you want just for Playstation purposes (sharing screenshots/videos, changing your avatar etc.)

You can also go one step deeper and make a email account just to use to setup your facebook account so that there is no real info leading back to you

It is of course far too much hassle then it should be and Sony damn well better allow transfer of screenshots videos etc. to external HDDS/Flash drives soon

Joe4Man

Neo Member
You can make a fake FB account if you want just for Playstation purposes (sharing screenshots/videos, changing your avatar etc.)

You can also go one step deeper and make a email account just to use to setup your facebook account so that there is no real info leading back to you

It is of course far too much hassle then it should be and Sony damn well better allow transfer of screenshots videos etc. to external HDDS/Flash drives soon

What I do is send a message from the PS4 dashboard to my girlfriend and attach the screenshot.

The jump on the android/iOS Playstation app login and navigate to messages where you should see your recently sent message.

Click on the screenshot you attached and save it to your phone. It should be the same quality as it was when the ps4 screen-shotted it, avoiding Facebook/Twitter compression.

What I do is send a message from the PS4 dashboard to my girlfriend and attach the screenshot.

The jump on the android/iOS Playstation app login and navigate to messages where you should see your recently sent message.

Click on the screenshot you attached and save it to your phone. It should be the same quality as it was when the ps4 screen-shotted it, avoiding Facebook/Twitter compression.

Ok, step 1: Get a girlfriend.

Timu

Capture card, right now I use the Roxio, in a few days it'll be an Avermedia.

I never both with Facebook and Twitter due to them compressing the pics, and I don't like any compression either.

vilmer_

I never both with Facebook and Twitter due to them compressing the pics, and I don't like any compression either.

You're really going to enjoy the Avermedia card. I've been using it for a while and it's been flawless. The software is really good as well.

Ever since about a year or two ago, I thought Facebook started storing hi-resolution images uncompressed.

Timu

You're really going to enjoy the Avermedia card. I've been using it for a while and it's been flawless. The software is really good as well.
I can't wait until Saturday.=p

Ever since about a year or two ago, I thought Facebook started storing hi-resolution images uncompressed.
I think being captured from the PS4 itself might be the problem, but every Facebook PS4 shot I seen is compressed.

MissingString

Neo Member
A rushed review cycle, poor expectation management on part of Sony + tons of schadenfreude on the part of the media outlets (towards both consoles tbh).

Yeah, it does seem like every reviewer went into this launch preparing to hate everything because launch titles. Knack is actually really enjoyable. Incredibly bland, yes, but it's one of those games that seems to know how to manage being a launch title. I imagine it suffered from a short development cycle and couldn't really afford to be much more than it is, but what is there is polished, good looking and responsive. Maybe if they made the game shorter and concentrated a little more on gameplay variety it would have hit people a little better? I can't imagine the rushed review period helped it, either. Knack does not hold up during long sessions thanks to the repetitive nature of the combat and level design. But if you take a level here and there it becomes a much more palatable experience.

I kind of feel the same way about Ryse. Yup, it's boring and generic, but it looks great, controls well and the amount of restraint the developers exercised helped it to become a product that's really playable.

Knack's going to be dropped into the same category as Kameo (a game I also thought pleasant enough) in a couple of years, but that shouldn't really deter people from playing the only real PS4 platformer(?). Just know what you're getting into. It's no Mario 3D World, but it's perfectly serviceable if a little dull and a little too long.

Kssio_Aug

Does expect greatness from it, but it really is a fun game. The scores it got are unfair, it's a solid 7 or 8 game.
A 7~8 game is what I was expecting to Knack before I've seen all that mediocre scores... I just couldnt believe it. The game have charisma, and besides its graphics is nothing special, the world seems pleasant to look at, and the gameplay seems fluid (besides maybe repetitive, but GoW also is, and it wasnt a big of a complain). If im right at both, I dont think I will be disappointed. Also, is a different genre to start a gen, I like variation.

Not I. KZ:SF is a fear for the eyes and a great shooter despite the story being so... 'all over the place'.
I also do expect Killzone SF to be a great game. However, I just have interest at its multiplayer at the moment (and I already got BF4 for it). I hate frustrating shooters campaings, where everything seems just dumb and ridiculously hard to do, and Ive seen lots of complains like this with Killzone SF single-player. HOWEVER, I am a huge fan of Killzone 2, and I am interested in Killzone SF anyway. I may still buy it when my console arrive to play its multiplayer with people of gaf and my PSN friends... I just want to give it a second thought, once Im more intereseted at the BF4 multiplayer at the moment (besides its technical problems).

Top Bottom