• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT5| Premade Bot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say 100% that that is happening. But I've noticed that the way teams recruit, NA teams especially, is that they pick established vetarans rather than taking chances on talent.

I mean, the world championships are a team built on talent, and players that hadn't ever proven themselves. This should've been a shining beacon for teams around the world that good management is key to esports. ggLA is a new NA team that is built on raw talent of solo queue stars, but lo and behold, Curse has gone and poached their most hyped player (quas) which lends support to the following theory...

Then there is to say that the deadline for team lockins for season 4 playoffs is today, and that some people are saying that Curse is doing something scummy and locking in multiple hot players just so other teams can't get them. But that's too disgusting so I won't assume it's true.
Even though I care, and watch, a lot of "esports" (the term still makes me cringe) I can almost never look too closely at actual teams. It devolves into stupid teenage bullshit soap operas way too quickly, and they'll post a video about how they aren't "made" to train and they just do what they want and that's so frustrating. You have a bunch of young adults who don't know what's best for them with so much talent and potential and they're just sitting there wasting it.

The whole scene (all games) just need a bunch of people to come over from boxing or football or something, to come and say no I don't give a shit about your personal life, you're here to play and you're going to practice now. Oh you and X and Y don't get along? Too bad, I'm going to slap you in the back of the head and you're going to get locked in this closet together until you can work it out. Oh and you're banned from Twitter. Go back to practicing.

Boken

Banned
Even though I care, and watch, a lot of "esports" (the term still makes me cringe) I can almost never look too closely at actual teams. It devolves into stupid teenage bullshit soap operas way too quickly, and they'll post a video about how they aren't "made" to train and they just do what they want and that's so frustrating. You have a bunch of young adults who don't know what's best for them with so much talent and potential and they're just sitting there wasting it.

The whole scene (all games) just need a bunch of people to come over from boxing or football or something, to come and say no I don't give a shit about your personal life, you're here to play and you're going to practice now. Oh you and X and Y don't get along? Too bad, I'm going to slap you in the back of the head and you're going to get locked in this closet together until you can work it out. Oh and you're banned from Twitter. Go back to practicing.
Korean team management is close to that.

However, first, the western scene needs to move wholesale from from players as personalities. Too much value is placed on how fun/amusing/interesting x player is - eg the tsm effect.

Once people give more shits about the winners, then people can care more about a team as a brand - only then can management have absolute control. Right now, most players are way too influential in the organisation of the teams they are in. That is incredibly counterproductive to good management/coaching

Korean team management is close to that.

However, first, the western scene needs to move wholesale from from players as personalities. Too much value is placed on how fun/amusing/interesting x player is - eg the tsm effect.

Once people give more shits about the winners, then people can care more about a team as a brand - only then can management have absolute control. Right now, most players are way too influential in the organisation of the teams they are in. That is incredibly counterproductive to good management/coaching

I can agree with that completely. But if you can't even get the players to get along (insert that video from a few weeks ago with the TSM players yelling at each) how on earth can you even get that across when they all want to act out and be twitter superstars or whatever.

Also I'm painfully ignorant of all this player locking in as it's alien to me. It makes sense to a degree so you don't have completely liquid teams and people jumping ship on shit teams and making all star teams for the finals. But if you can abuse it so easily as curse supposedly is, it just sounds a lot like the yankees in the 50's before free agency which would come way later which is hilarious to me. I'd say either their season is too long or they need a later trade deadline (half the season in or something) as how on earth can you do all that shuffling in just a few weeks?

garath

I can agree with that completely. But if you can't even get the players to get along (insert that video from a few weeks ago with the TSM players yelling at each) how on earth can you even get that across when they all want to act out and be twitter superstars or whatever.

Also I'm painfully ignorant of all this player locking in as it's alien to me. It makes sense to a degree so you don't have completely liquid teams and people jumping ship on shit teams and making all star teams for the finals. But if you can abuse it so easily as curse supposedly is, it just sounds a lot like the yankees in the 50's before free agency which would come way later which is hilarious to me. I'd say either their season is too long or they need a later trade deadline (half the season in or something) as how on earth can you do all that shuffling in just a few weeks?

I could be mistaken but I believe the current roster "lock" is only for the LCS entry tournaments, not for the entire LCS season. I may be off base though.

I could be mistaken but I believe the current roster "lock" is only for the LCS entry tournaments, not for the entire LCS season. I may be off base though.

Ohhhhhh, see as I said completely ignorant to Riot's structure here. That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking it was waaaaay too early to be starting the whole thing over again, but if it's just people coming up...

bjaelke

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/1ofckk/euw_spawning_super_minions_randomly/
haQA0Rf.jpg

garath

17 days left guys. Any remaining goals for the end of Season 3?

Personally I have no aspirations for Plat. I don't play enough to get the required games in. But what I would like is to bump my MMR up high enough that I get placed right back into Gold next season. That would be nice. I do NOT want to start the season off trying to navigate a division 1.

Personally I have no aspirations for Plat. I don't play enough to get the required games in. But what I would like is to bump my MMR up high enough that I get placed right back into Gold next season. That would be nice. I do NOT want to start the season off trying to navigate a division 1.
I just want me pot o' gold.

EUW is such a special place.

Edwardo

Then there is to say that the deadline for team lockins for season 4 playoffs is today, and that some people are saying that Curse is doing something scummy and locking in multiple hot players just so other teams can't get them. But that's too disgusting so I won't assume it's true.

Why is it a bad thing to lock in as many good players for your team as possible?

I 100% agree!

Frostass Irelia on sale, get it while you have the chance

mmm that Frostass.

Here's the full sale:

2013.10.15.articlebanner.champskinsaleasdg34.jpg

Champion and skin sale: 10.15 - 10.18

Give your champions a new look with these skins, on sale for a limited time:

Frostblade Irelia 675 RP
Mafia Graves 487 RP
Shadow Evelynn 260 RP

Add these champions to your roster, on sale for a limited time:

Nautilus 487 RP
Vayne 440 RP
Akali 395 RP

I want to get to Gold, but i'm sitting in Silver 4 still. I had a bunch of wins in a few games last night, but I played so bad. I won't stop playing ranked just because the season is ending, but if I really want to make it to Gold, i'm going to have to minimize my losses more than usual. It sucks, I had something like a 12 game win streak going too.

Edwardo

Because something like this Curse situation can happen and now Aphro / Pobelter have basically a day to find another team if they want to play on the playoffs.

It is a dick move from Curse to do that last minute, but to be fair I feel like players should have the expectation that these roster spots aren't final and they can be dropped at any time.

I'm not really educated enough on how each team works though, whether they have contracts that players sign or anything else like that. So that is just my opinion.

The problem is that as far as we know, they all thought they were on the final roster. Hell, they were already on the official roster on the Curse website.

Also Shyvanna coming back strong in EU. I like it.

Edwardo

Anyone play Irelia frequently or see her often? I've been in the same game as her literally once or twice ever. Does she have any crazy strengths or weaknesses?

Anyone play Irelia frequently or see her often? I've been in the same game as her literally once or twice ever. Does she have any crazy strengths or weaknesses?
She's the very definition of power creep, no nerfs can keep her down.

She has a bumpy start but she can turn into an unstoppable killing machine. If she gets fed she can jump on your carry and you can't do shit about it because she gets almost criminal levels of tenacity.

Edwardo

She's the very definition of power creep, no nerfs can keep her down.

She has a bumpy start but she can turn into an unstoppable killing machine. If she gets fed she can jump on your carry and you can't do shit about it because she gets almost criminal levels of tenacity.

Cool. I'll take a look at some guides too. She hasn't been free to play in something like 15 weeks, so hopefully she'll go free to play tomorrow and I can give her a try.

bjaelke

Want to say Sorry to all my fan's for that voting on strawpoll , retweet thing and stuff like dat about team , cuz it's not rly thing u guys have to choose or w/e , its just me being stupid ( troll , Skumbag ) or w/e its call's.

Kinda stupid by me . Punch SkumbagEddy

Also have a new's that i start practice with team and will announce team roster in october or 1st days of November.

Team Practice one of the reason i stop'd streaming (last few day's).

Looking forward to meet awecome fan's in cologne or w/e its gonna be on EU LCS.

Pretty much that all what i can say right now.
More roster stuff incoming.

Feels so satisfying to reach a level in ranked where when you're attacking that farmed Renekton that jumped at you in the backline instead of jumping like a retard and diving their carries people will actually compliment you on good positioning and win the teamfight by peeling and diving their backline properly, instead of flashing in like idiots and screaming in all caps all chat OMG CAIT FOCUS RENEK GG

Feels so satisfying to reach a level in ranked where when you're attacking that farmed Renekton that jumped at you in the backline instead of jumping like a retard and diving their carries people will actually compliment you on good positioning and win the teamfight by peeling and diving their backline properly, instead of flashing in like idiots and screaming in all caps all chat OMG CAIT FOCUS RENEK GG

I love this feeling too, esp. in season 2 when i would get harassed constantly for picking kayle -_______-.

Why is it a bad thing to lock in as many good players for your team as possible?

The main problem is that Curse is in relegation and what they're doing could be construed as poaching talent from Challenger teams not because they actually want to play those players in their roster, but so that they don't have to play against them during the promotion matches. Hopefully that's not the case, but the timing and nature of these changes both indicate there's something more complicated going on than simply, "Oh, those two weren't as good as we thought they were in all two of the semi-pro games we ran them in."

There's little doubt that Pobelter and Aphromoo were more than "trial" players - they completely fractured their original team to include them in the roster - so there's something afoot, though my money's still on some kind of petty interpersonal drama over a grand conspiracy to hobble the Challenger squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom