• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

First time jungling in the last couple of patches...Amumu is strong. Went 7-2-15 and got successful ganks with kills off in all three lanes early. Game steamrolled from there. Cinderhulk is nuts.

drawkcaB

Regarding skin re-colours...

Riot said:
Yes the chroma survey (then called recolors) was sent to a statistically significant sample of players across North America and Europe. Most players responded that they liked the idea of having the option to buy recolor packs at this price. Based on that we decided to move forward with developing the tech to globally support the feature.

Don't get your hopes up that re-colours will be handed out as a rewards for the champ mastery thingy.

And yes, cinderhulk is stupid. Looking forward to future nerfs.

Blizzard

Banned

Don't get your hopes up that re-colours will be handed out as a rewards for the champ mastery thingy.

I wonder how that survey was presented. "Would you rather be able to buy chroma skins, or not have chroma skins at all?" Or "Would you rather be able to buy chroma skins, or unlock them for free by playing games with the champion in question"?

I think cinderhulk is good since it's resulted in a lot of tanks and different champions to show up that hadn't been around for a while. I think I prefer this over assassins or mages everywhere. Maybe I am in the minority but I feel like if it gets nerfed heavily, the older jungler situation will return and that will be sad.

Mothman91

I haven't posted/checked in here in a LONG time.

This is for my dark side brother Newt:

cysmeMG.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
the problem about the recolors is that you have to buy three when you only want one

and it might be "great value" but that's clearly a pretty bullshitty thing to overcharge for the damn things

yeah if they were like 300 (and it can't be any less than that since icons are 250rp, which are overpriced as hell already but that's for another day) then yea current system would be much cheaper but who cares, who's gonna buy more than one recolor, let alone 3

they're not even usable across multiple skins

it's a really bad system and one that shows how bad the pricings for some things are (like icons, runes and fucking 640 rp ward skins)

I wonder how that survey was presented. "Would you rather be able to buy chroma skins, or not have chroma skins at all?" Or "Would you rather be able to buy chroma skins, or unlock them for free by playing games with the champion in question"?
i mean, it probably was pretty specific like different offers and shit

it's likely that a % of the people said they would like the 3 for 590 rp thing so they went for it

doesn't have to be the majority of people, it can only be 10%, it just has to be a big enough number of people that it makes sense for rito to produce it

it's kinda like ultimate skins, most people would agree that spending 30 usd on a skin for a single champion is dumb but the 5% or so of league players that buy it are good enough for riot so they make it. it also has to make sense along with rito's bigger plans so even if it doesn't make a lot of money it's really good publicity (gets news posts in kotaku, gamespot, etc., riles people up in kotaku, has us giggling like school girls for a month, etc.) and it's also a cool project for them to do, and they can spend that time developing technology they can use elsewhere (like the music toggle buttons that show up on the tab menu thing, or a lot of the tech and r&d that probably happened with dj sona or should've-been-default udyr or pfez general development)

also this doesn't mean they'll scratch the idea of handing recolors for champion mastery or other stuff either, tho it's obviously less likely. i bet they'll give away recolors for like good behavior or whatever.

btw the reddit threads saying "amateurs photoshoppers" do similar quality stuff are so fucking wrong. the things shown in those threads is ugly as fuck. yeah probably an amateur illustrator can do something similar if they dedicate it more than 5 minutes, but none of the things shown have proven that riot just did a quick palette swap and called it a day (if anything it proved the opposite) and also i dunno what they're complaining? it's 3 recolors for 590, so it's 200 each, which is a bit less than 2 usd. it's not that expensive

i just really wish they rethink their pricing, because it's screwing over players

I was shocked that Riot were charging for user icons too when I started. Ridiculous. They should be IP based or like 50rp each, or at least give us unlockable character specific icons for success with your mains (think Street Fighter IV).

I kinda like the idea behind the Chromas. I'm one of those idiots who does buy stupid cosmetic things to enhance my experience. Not gonna lie I would love to see my girl Karma's default outfit in white or red or something.

I think it'd help if Riot recoloured the splashes appropriately on the Vs screen too so newer players know who to they're fighting against but it's not a major thing.

bokn

Banned
Yeah the armchair chroma artists are a joke

What they do is pure pallete swapping with no real consideration

You can tell that there are slight redesigns on the Chromas, most obvious looking in the Dragon fist lee sin - Yellow where he has the black stripe on his pants.

But their point isnt lost - 590rp for three skins is heaps because you usually only want one skin.....

zkylon

zkylewd
I was shocked that Riot were charging for user icons too when I started. Ridiculous. They should be IP based or like 50rp each, or at least give us unlockable character specific icons for success with your mains (think Street Fighter IV).

I kinda like the idea behind the Chromas. I'm one of those idiots who does buy stupid cosmetic things to enhance my experience. Not gonna lie I would love to see my girl Karma's default outfit in white or red or something.

I think it'd help if Riot recoloured the splashes appropriately on the Vs screen too so newer players know who to they're fighting against but it's not a major thing.

icons should be cheaper, probably 100 or 150 rp. 250 for those things is so lame rito, cmon

ward skins should be cheaper, probably 450 or whatever. def about half a skin.

recolors should probably be 300

skin prices are imo fine, tho obviously the quality-price ratio is really wonky, specially on older skins

rp price for champions should be readjusted, sometimes it's really weird, but it's for the most part fine

those last two are overall pretty good because of the constant sales

tier 3 rune pricing should be redone completely. hp yellows cost 820 ip each. what in the actual fuck. it's not rp but rune prices make no sense whatsoever and it's such a ripoff.

Yeah the armchair chroma artists are a joke

What they do is pure pallete swapping with no real consideration

You can tell that there are slight redesigns on the Chromas, most obvious looking in the Dragon fist lee sin - Yellow where he has the black stripe on his pants.

But their point isnt lost - 590rp for three skins is heaps because you usually only want one skin.....
yup, it's a good case of rito overreaching and treating their players like fools, telling them how great of a value what they're offering is when it's so obvious it's not

Tier 3 rune prices make sense, they're just shady as fuck. They're supposed to be IP sinks and Riot doesn't give a fuck.

This whole thing is so mismanaged. The issue is not charging for the chromas, but the packs are bullshit. Plus when Riot was throwing surveys around, they were supposed to have recolored splash arts too

Tizoc

What's stupid about? I only ever build it when I'm jungling, otherwise I stick to Randuin.

If Masteries are so important why are they locked away from newer players? How many games do I need to play to unlock all the mastery points? This feels like some sort of freemium shit where they try and get people to play for the "unlock it all" mentality, but a game like LoL shouldn't need that.

Bacon

If Masteries are so important why are they locked away from newer players? How many games do I need to play to unlock all the mastery points? This feels like some sort of freemium shit where they try and get people to play for the "unlock it all" mentality, but a game like LoL shouldn't need that.

I mean, they are locked away from everyone at that level so it's all even anyway right? I think it's to slowly introduce you to stuff, like you shouldn't really worry about minutia like that when you are trying to learn a bunch of other shit about the game. Hell I barely pay attention to masteries and I've been playing for 2 years.

I mean, they are locked away from everyone at that level so it's all even anyway right? I think it's to slowly introduce you to stuff, like you shouldn't really worry about minutia like that when you are trying to learn a bunch of other shit about the game. Hell I barely pay attention to masteries and I've been playing for 2 years.

Eh. I don't think it would be that inaccessible to have them instantly available. They could have a "suggested Masteries" build for each character for newer players who don't want to bother tweaking it themselves.

It's one of those hooks that try to keep you interested long enough then you find yourself already too invested to quit.

Pretty much any game you can think of has it in some form, whether it's from levels or loot or new stuff or whatever.

Leveling an account to 30 still sucks.

Jeff-DSA

Leveling to 30 sucks only for junglers, to be honest. Everywhere else you're on even ground, but jungling without full runes and masteries is the worst thing.

I don't think you should have fully unlocked masteries and runes at level 1 though. Smurf accounts would explode and they would already know better how to use all that stuff. They would be more of a menace to new players than they already are.

Negaduck

I bought kingpin twitch the second they first released skins.

I don't I don't understand people complaining about chroma packs that's so much better than what we started with skin wise and I'm sure chroma packs will get crazier with time

Kenai

I bought kingpin twitch the second they first released skins.

I don't I don't understand people complaining about chroma packs that's so much better than what we started with skin wise and I'm sure chroma packs will get crazier with time

Yea...honestly I see Chroma packs as probably the least offensive thing they've ever done regarding money. Basically nothing they have regarding money is a particularly good value when compared to say, DotA's marketplace or options (and I have played that game less than 10 times ever), but this isn't near as bad as ward skins, old legacy skins, RP icons that literally do nothing, ect ect. Some of these Chromas would have been 975 RP or whatever the price was for one skin back in the day. Buying 3 for 1 is like having multiple skins on 1 champ now even though we can only use one at a time. Except cheaper. much cheaper.

I would definitely like to see more significant Mastery rewards than what we have so far though, especially considering how much work it seems to be to master multiple champs. I was hoping Chroma packs would have been that (kinda like how you can earn champs or buy them with RP), but I guess i shoulda known better.

zkylon

zkylewd
Tier 3 rune prices make sense, they're just shady as fuck. They're supposed to be IP sinks and Riot doesn't give a fuck.

This whole thing is so mismanaged. The issue is not charging for the chromas, but the packs are bullshit. Plus when Riot was throwing surveys around, they were supposed to have recolored splash arts too
tier 3 prices don't make sense dude, some regular runes cost more than quints, and the reason why some runes are priced higher than others is super random. why are ms quints 2k but not ad? or whatever

it's super dumb. and i'm not saying make it universally cheaper (tho wouldn't it be nice if they did?) but at least make them consistent. a price for quints and another one for regulars. simple

it's a really old thing that should probably be removed since it makes no sense anymore (and i'm not sure if it ever did)

same with summoner spells and rune slots being locked

level to 30 is a dumb thing, specially since you can't play across regions

Leveling to 30 sucks only for junglers, to be honest. Everywhere else you're on even ground, but jungling without full runes and masteries is the worst thing.

I don't think you should have fully unlocked masteries and runes at level 1 though. Smurf accounts would explode and they would already know better how to use all that stuff. They would be more of a menace to new players than they already are.
it doesn't, really, specially if you're leveling a smurf it's just a painful never ending thing, and it's often really unfair by putting you against someone that has ignite or flash or that bought an ip boost and bought runes, it's super unfair for everyone and a really shitty first experience

it's like, why wouldn't you introduce people to flash right away, it's the only spell they're gonna use for ALL of the games of their life

I don't understand people complaining about chroma packs that's so much better than what we started with skin wise and I'm sure chroma packs will get crazier with time
i mean, you didn't have to do anything to improve upon riot's first skins

those were literally palette swaps, often not very appealing ones, and when they actually redid splashes they were hideous

it's a shitty deal and it's shittier than rito is trying to pass it as it isn't

like, at least with dj sona when they said the sale price would be lower it wasn't like dressed like it was a great deal like this thing

It's one of those hooks that try to keep you interested long enough then you find yourself already too invested to quit.

Pretty much any game you can think of has it in some form, whether it's from levels or loot or new stuff or whatever.

Leveling an account to 30 still sucks.

Ehhhhhhhh. I feel unlocking heroes would be enough. A MOBA really doesn't need silly carrot-on-stick bullshit like locked runes/masteries to be successful. League certainly does not.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
how do i play nautilus support? the ability leveling order seems weird.

level one e into e max? dis guy is super easy but there's probably a way to optimize this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, thats pretty much it. He's super simple as you say.
Okay, thanks. Even though he's simple I've been having a lot of fun in the games where I pick him. People seem to really underestimate the range of Dredge Line for whatever reason...

drawkcaB

Okay, thanks. Even though he's simple I've been having a lot of fun in the games where I pick him. People seem to really underestimate the range of Dredge Line for whatever reason...

Yep. I've noticed that even jungling. Hell, I've played Nautilus enough to know what the range is and I got caught by it a few matches ago.

zkylon

zkylewd
ryze rework is up on pbe

passive now gives him a shield after 5 spellcasts and also reduces cd of his spells (so kind of the stacks thing i had said before :>)
q is a skillshot
we and ult seem the same

cdr passive moved to ult

snare lasts a bit less at max rank (but still better than pre-rework at most levels)

e cd is so short wth

ult is weaker

i think the passive thing sounds kind of cool, but these numbers look weird. his spells look almost as good as before, but he gets a shield on top

i'm guessing q being a non pass through skillshot is a pretty big deal but ehh

I would, but its gonna take me some time to find the link.
kk, or tell me the name of the thing and i'll look for it

i love league comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom