• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT9| Stealing Abilities From Inferior MOBAs since 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Honestly Rito should just Steam Greenlight a replay client and use Steam Cloud Saves to handle the Replay load.
sleeping.gif

And even though League has more reported players isn't the total games played per month like 35M LoL, 30M Dota?

The technology just isn't there yet. Warcraft 3 replay system was a millennia ahead of its time.

A replay system should not be this difficult for a company with as much income as Riot. Extra strain on servers? Fine, just have local recording implemented without spectator data or perhaps only a certain number of games can be recorded like Gold+ ranked. Not a perfect solution but whatever it's something.

The technology just isn't there yet. Warcraft 3 replay system was a millennia ahead of its time.

A replay system should not be this difficult for a company with as much income as Riot. Extra strain on servers? Fine, just have local recording implemented without spectator data or perhaps only a certain number of games can be recorded like Gold+ ranked. Not a perfect solution but whatever it's something.

Someone explained it on reddit, but a replay system really wouldn't be alot of 'server' strain. Basically how a replay system works, is it just captures all the movements of a game-It's like spectator mode with their 5 minute delay, just recorded. I mean, how do you think a few scrubs managed to tinker a 3rd party lolreplay system a few years ago? They were no tech wizards, atleast nothing Riot couldn't do. If saved replays were a thing, they would be client side, not server side, unless Riot decided to implement a replay sharing system(They even had a damn replay system working on PBE!)

However, it can be broken because of patch updates. Invalidate old replay files, you see(Unless they make it backwards compatible). And seeing Leagues spaghetti code in full force today....well, my faith in Riots programming is so damn low.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's not that simple tho

like, it's pretty obvious that replays should be a thing that exist in this game but it's not something so trivial, specially the way riot wants to make it

basically the big issue i see are patches. patches change a lot of stuff, including number balance, art and sound assets, the layout of the map itself, entire game mechanics, runes and masteries, etc. etc.

so how do you allow ppl to watch replays from last patch? well, you basically have a ton of servers hosting the game at every possible patch so that when you want to view a replay from 5.12 the server just gets asked for that, downloads the assets and plays it in "5.12 mode". this to me sounds kind of nightmarish since you're essentially supporting like a million different patches at once and you have people downloading patches all the time, plus who knows if the game would actually support this stuff, specially since patches have bugfixes so if you got kliled because ap ezreal procced luden's echo in 5.12 then you have to reintroduce that bug in the replay for it to work. riot on top of this wants to store all replays server side for some reason which is cool and i'm guessing it's not what's stopping them from actually pushing replays to live since they could easily just store replays locally while they figure out the logistical hell that it must be to store billions of replays for 70m people

and you can really see where the 3rd party programs cut corners to do replays, with their shitty interfaces and crashes and replays not recording or not working and not working anymore after a new patch comes through.

but yeah not having replays at this point is pretty inexcusable, i'm sure there are books written on how to do this kind of stuff and riot engineers who are much better than me at programming have probably read them all, so i'm not exactly sure why they're taking this long. yeah it's probably a pretty difficult thing to do, but it's clearly possible as other developers have done it

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Starting with current patch only is fine and it's only 35million(?) games a month.
Store them serverside until a player requests them like Dota.

Also im gonna play a game this free rotation seems nice.

it's not that simple tho

like, it's pretty obvious that replays should be a thing that exist in this game but it's not something so trivial, specially the way riot wants to make it

basically the big issue i see are patches. patches change a lot of stuff, including number balance, art and sound assets, the layout of the map itself, entire game mechanics, runes and masteries, etc. etc.

so how do you allow ppl to watch replays from last patch? well, you basically have a ton of servers hosting the game at every possible patch so that when you want to view a replay from 5.12 the server just gets asked for that, downloads the assets and plays it in "5.12 mode"

this to me sounds kind of nightmarish since you're essentially supporting like a million different patches at once and you have people downloading patches all the time, plus who knows if the game would actually support this stuff, specially since patches have bugfixes so if you got kliled because ap ezreal procced luden's echo in 5.12 then you have to reintroduce that bug in the replay for it to work.

riot on top of this wants to store all replays server side for some reason which is cool and i'm guessing it's not what's stopping them from actually pushing replays to live since they could easily just store replays locally while they figure out the logistical hell that it must be to store billions of replays for 70m people

and you can really see where the 3rd party programs cut corners to do replays, with their shitty interfaces and crashes and replays not recording or not working and not working anymore after a new patch comes through.

but yeah not having replays at this point is pretty inexcusable, i'm sure there are books written on how to do this kind of stuff and riot engineers who are much better than me at programming have probably read them all, so i'm not exactly sure why they're taking this long. yeah it's probably a pretty difficult thing to do, but it's clearly possible as other developers have done it

Yup, that's why I see not wanting a replay system, simply because they have 2 options-
Have all patch data be 'stored' client side, but this would mean downloading alot of files on the user end. Or have it connect to a server to show you the replay. Option A will mean more downloaded files on the users end, HOWEVER it wouldn't be that huge of a difference. Probably a 100mb extra download, since they'd just have to change number strings to display certain information for each 'patch' replay. Option B is eliminating this, and Riot hosting it on their server. The more costly way.

Starcraft 2 implemented the backwards compatible replays about...a few months into the first game coming out, Heroes of the Storm(Most recently. Older replays during Alpha/beta were invalidated because of the massive client difference.)

Honestly? Riots code is probably so shitty that if they didn't overwrite files and kept duplicates for replays, the actual game would probably become fucked up because who knows what the hell is going on behind the scenes.

In 2013...was it? Riot said they were working on a new client. Whether that's been scrapped, or whether they're slowly going back replacing bit by bit....I mean, the bit by bit part is a bit dangerous because they're inputting new code to replace old code, and from what we've seen from Zed/the recall stuff, that stuff can break easily. They need to just release a new client all at once.

It's a technical travesty that Riots got going on. And it fascinates me.

zkylon

zkylewd
Starting with current patch only is fine and it's only 35million(?) games a month.
Store them serverside until a player requests them like Dota.

Also im gonna play a game this free rotation seems nice.
i mean, says 67m players here: http://www.riotgames.com/our-games

and yeah the problem like usual could probably be summed to:
1) rito didn't plan ahead when first building the game
2) rito trying to do too much

a replays system that's current patch only would be kind of shitty tho, given how long we've waited and specially since patches are so frequent

Also...
http://i.imgur.com/RlYyB8z.gifv
How was your punishment zkylewd?
delicious head pat gif

punishment was pretty ok, wasted a lot more time on twitter than normal, my ps3 got busted and i'm on tryout month for a part time job as a graphics designer so that's happening in my life

also been playing lots of azir and viktor since that seems to be the trendy thing for pros to do and i'm doing pretty beast with both of them, tho i lose a lot with viktor. took me a while to get the hang of the shurima slide thingie but i'm inseccing ppl like a boss now. also picked up more syndra since they fixed her up and been enjoying playing her a lot

also fuck ezreal

edit: oh and my red ryuko streak is like pretty pink now to the point everyone is like "why did u dye your hair pink" -___-

doesn't have to go as far as "technical travesty", if the game isn't built for replays then it's gonna be really hard to implement them

i've made a replays system for the game i'm working on in like a weekend, but i planned for it and i coded the game so that it would be easy to record. also my game's not a huge moba thing with hundreds of characters and items and spells and crap.

i also did replays for a freelance thing i did and that was pretty bad cos i was mostly winging it cos they weren't paying me shit haha

doesn't have to go as far as "technical travesty", if the game isn't built for replays then it's gonna be really hard to implement them

i've made a replays system for the game i'm working on in like a weekend, but i planned for it and i coded the game so that it would be easy to record. also my game's not a huge moba thing with hundreds of characters and items and spells and crap.

i also did replays for a freelance thing i did and that was pretty bad cos i was mostly winging it cos they weren't paying me shit haha

It really is a technical travesty. I mean, today isn't the first time bugs have appeared in this game. For the past what, 5-6 years there's always been hidden glitches and bugs, major maintenance times in the past(Where the game would be down 1-2 days), characters disabled is a common occurrence..

Their code is in extremely rough shape. And for a game this popular, I think it qualifies as technical travesty.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
assassins r dum
leeg is dum
also my team was BR

ROFL
qOSRTSE.png

Take me back to Yi jungle without smite where I felt comfortable, help

Hahaha holy shit Skarner has the instant recall bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfeeHjlEdrI

This is fucking hilarious. And it proves that Recall is the problem, some people are saying the actual casting bar is what causes the insta recall..

Edit-

That thing that happened last year, in Worlds, that wasn't the cause of the recall bug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPSXkxFRuwk&feature=youtu.be

2012. They're gonna have to recode Recall, boys.

Also Zilean has a hilarious bug that doubles his mana cost of W-
His W costs 70 mana instead of 35, but if and only if you're on summoner's rift and have gained the shield from the inner turrets in top or bot lane, apparently...
(maybe mid lane inner as well, but those testing it said it didn't show when they went mid, and I can't imagine they didn't once walk through that turret's range)

It's all breaking apart. By Worlds they'll determine the winner by throwing spaghetti from their pockets.

Ferga

Hey guys, remember when Darius could tp and pull people into fountain near the end of his animation 2 or 3 years ago.

That was amazing. Might even work now.

My goodness. The saltiness from a Braum in my last game.

I was playing Jungle Cho. Should have known this game wasn't going to go well. Vlad doesn't want to help me start so I solo it and complete my first clear without issue.

Braum dies bot lane. Blames Ashe.

I decide that when I clear blue side I will come help them. Dear god the amount of pings from this Braum...Next problem. Ashe doesn't follow up Braum as he goes in, so they get away. We burn Jana flash so still worth. I decide to circle around as I know they haven't warded the rivers. I ping this.

Braum goes all in with less than 200 hp as I'm passing through the river. Dies. Blames me and Ashe. I back as i get low from this gank and decide to go get my jungle item. Before I do I drop a ward in the river.

Braum and Ahse get back. Yi comes for a gank. I ping. They ignore it. I ping again that he is getting closer. The ignore it. In fact they go ham. Yi comes in a kills them both.

My fault.

This happens again and again. The only time this doesn't is when I am there to help them disengage. Still my fault though.

By the end of the game Braum was 1/10/1. He tried to get people to report me for the unskilled. I was a jungler and I was ahead of my whole team in CS and second in kills, with 0 deaths.

He was so salty that when I wrote this in all chat. "Braum you are so salty that they named you the 8th sea" the enemy team agreed.

Newt

My goodness. The saltiness from a Braum in my last game.

I was playing Jungle Cho. Should have known this game wasn't going to go well. Vlad doesn't want to help me start so I solo it and complete my first clear without issue.

Braum dies bot lane. Blames Ashe.

I decide that when I clear blue side I will come help them. Dear god the amount of pings from this Braum...Next problem. Ashe doesn't follow up Braum as he goes in, so they get away. We burn Jana flash so still worth. I decide to circle around as I know they haven't warded the rivers. I ping this.

Braum goes all in with less than 200 hp as I'm passing through the river. Dies. Blames me and Ashe. I back as i get low from this gank and decide to go get my jungle item. Before I do I drop a ward in the river.

Braum and Ahse get back. Yi comes for a gank. I ping. They ignore it. I ping again that he is getting closer. The ignore it. In fact they go ham. Yi comes in a kills them both.

My fault.

This happens again and again. The only time this doesn't is when I am there to help them disengage. Still my fault though.

By the end of the game Braum was 1/10/1. He tried to get people to report me for the unskilled. I was a jungler and I was ahead of my whole team in CS and second in kills, with 0 deaths.

He was so salty that when I wrote this in all chat. "Braum you are so salty that they named you the 8th sea" the enemy team agreed.
That's when you and the rest of the team starts shitting on the dude. Of course you can also mute him, but that's hardly satisfying.

jerd

Just got booted from 7 straight teambuilder lobbies and waited another 10 minutes before giving up on playing

If you can't play devourer kalista jungle in teambuilder then what is the point honestly

killatopak

Gold Member
I'm slowly wanting to become a support main.

The satisfaction when you know your adc only got so strong because of you is unreal. The amount of plays a support could do on a team fight is also amazing.

On the flip side, if you made a few mistakes or even if it's not your mistakes but your adc's, you get blamed like you killed their parents.

Games played per month seems to be 35M for LoL (Might be 70M?) and 30M for Dota based off Pick rate * Games played.
Pretty sure the pick rate stats in LoL are for ranked only

League has an average of 27 million daily players, even if you assume they only play one match per day that's like 6~10 million daily games, monthly numbers should be well over a hundred

killatopak

Gold Member
Just watched SKT T1 vs KOO.

Daym wolf you scary. dat leona and alistar.

They're on a 18 game win streak right now right?

They might set a precedent of 2 sets of team skins if they keep this rolling into worlds. Enemy team just can't outpick SKT because of their champion pools.

Tizoc

Seju can still dish out damage long she got HP for her W, Got a double kill while at low health which surprised me.
I'm thinkng of going Cinderhulk>Sightstone>Boots>Tank up as her primary build, putting up more wards helps my mid from being ganked :p

patchday

I'm sure this is due to me being scrub but I wish the wards were cheaper. Was trying to get my prev team to ward. I put down at least 2 stealth wards but my placement might've been off. Granted, it didn't help two of my teammates were having internet issues. We got rolled over but I had fun tho

Tizoc

I'm sure this is due to me being scrub but I wish the wards were cheaper. Was trying to get my prev team to ward. I put down at least 2 stealth wards but my placement might've been off. Granted, it didn't help two of my teammates were having internet issues. We got rolled over but I had fun tho

Were you Support or any other role? Wards are cheap, and at lvl. 9 just drop 250 Gold for infinite Wards every minute.

garath

Best suggestion I can make there is upgrade your yellow trinket at level 9 to allow you to place two wards from it. It costs 250 and is a great investment. It's a lot cheaper than the green wards. Also, if you are looking for good defensive wards, spend that 100 gold on a pink ward. They last until killed so if you place it somewhere it's unlikely the enemy will walk over or easy to defend then you can get a lot of value out of it.

zkylon

zkylewd
tizoc, taking advantage of my phobias isn't funny, so fuck you, you're on the ignore list

Games played per month seems to be 35M for LoL (Might be 70M?) and 30M for Dota based off Pick rate * Games played.
where are u getting that 35m stat?

It really is a technical travesty. I mean, today isn't the first time bugs have appeared in this game. For the past what, 5-6 years there's always been hidden glitches and bugs, major maintenance times in the past(Where the game would be down 1-2 days), characters disabled is a common occurrence..

Their code is in extremely rough shape. And for a game this popular, I think it qualifies as technical travesty.
yeah, i'm just saying you can't blame everything on spaghetti code.

like, the code for serializing games and playing them back exists since spectating works pretty alright and there was a replay system on pbe at one point, so the issue is likely logistics (and imo rito overreaching trying to store everything server side who knows why)

drawkcaB

I can't win with Jinx. Don't know why, I just can't. I didn't do particularly great in a match earlier this week, but even when I do well I still lose. Just dumb luck but you'd think it would even out after a while, law of averages and all. Contrast that to Varus with whom I've had some really questionable games as ADC and still managed to win.

Feels like the LoL Gods are trying to give me a hint, just like when I couldn't win a support match with Thresh. I get it now, moving on from Jinx.

Gonna give Tristana a whirl, see if maybe that hits the spot.

zkylon

zkylewd
We have completed testing of the Recall spell code fix for a subset of Champions. We are iterating through the remaining Champions to verify resolution and no new game-breaking issues are introduced with this fix. We will have another update by 11:00 PDT. Thank you for your patience.
hotfix on the way then

garath

I can't win with Jinx. Don't know why, I just can't. I didn't do particularly great in a match earlier this week, but even when I do well I still lose. Just dumb luck but you'd think it would even out after a while, law of averages and all. Contrast that to Varus with whom I've had some really questionable games as ADC and still managed to win.

Feels like the LoL Gods are trying to give me a hint, just like when I couldn't win a support match with Thresh. I get it now, moving on from Jinx.

Gonna give Tristana a whirl, see if maybe that hits the spot.

Ashe, Jinx and Tristana have been my go-to ADCs for awhile now. I love Varus but he's not a good bot lane pick really. Ashe pretty much does everything he does better.

Trist is interesting. Her "dash" is still slow and clunky but resets are fun and it IS an escape (or suicide tool). The bomb is the key. It's pretty solid harass and can tear down towers super quick. She's not quite as insane late game as she used to and her mid game feels like poo but she's in a good place I think.

I've really been working hard making ADC my secondary role. It seems much easier to get if I can't jungle than say midlane. I actually think I have a higher winrate on ADC than jungle this season lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
They don't really have that much CC at all and on top of that it's all unreliable CC. So if Yi waits until team engages and skills start getting used there is no way to stop him.

garath

CANNOT BE SLOWED CANNOT BE SLOWED CANNOT BE SLOWED

Yeah, I gotta side with Tizoc here. That comp is like the thing of nightmares for Yi. Every single opponent has some form of CC they can use against him.

Lux binding
Elise cocoon
Janna tornado and ult
Vayne condemn
Riven stun

Like. Seriously. Philip just did a great job snowballing and was likely one or two shotting people in the mid to late game there lol. Also some of that CC just wait it out THEN Q and you're good.

drawkcaB

Ashe, Jinx and Tristana have been my go-to ADCs for awhile now. I love Varus but he's not a good bot lane pick really. Ashe pretty much does everything he does better.

Trist is interesting. Her "dash" is still slow and clunky but resets are fun and it IS an escape (or suicide tool). The bomb is the key. It's pretty solid harass and can tear down towers super quick. She's not quite as insane late game as she used to and her mid game feels like poo but she's in a good place I think.

I've really been working hard making ADC my secondary role. It seems much easier to get if I can't jungle than say midlane. I actually think I have a higher winrate on ADC than jungle this season lol.

I just want two or three ADCs I'm good at so I can not shit the bed when I forced to play there.

The one thing I've noticed is that my early game with Varus tends to be better than with Jinx even though the end-of-match numbers are the same. It's a general trend I've noticed in all my ADC games. I'll keep up in farm with the opposing ADC during laning phase, but steadily start to lag behind from mid-game onwards. Playing so much jungle and support I gravitate towards objectives at that point in the game, which I think is perfectly fine but unless I won bot lane hard (doesn't happen often) then the opposing ADC outscales me via farm and my team is one bad teamfight away from picking up the L because I can't pump out enough damage. And I think that's why I have better results on Varus. His Q poke pre-fight and utility once the fight starts compensates for me inevitably lagging in farm.

It's along the same lines that I want to try Tristana. A bit more early burst to increase the likelihood of winning early game (if even slightly) and more objective taking power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom