• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

It becomes a problem when you date someone who kinda has trust issues and you have to convince them your best friend since college (who is another gay male) is more like a brother than anyone you could even consider being sexual with, much less cheating with.

And then you realize that, for most part, this isn't as common a problem in the straight community, as most people's BFFs tend to be of the same sex, and thus not a big deal because they're attracted to the opposite sex.

The relationship dynamics are very different in gay relationships for sure. I remember my straight friends were discussing about how they sometimes looked at girls on the street and sometimes their girlfriends would get upset, and then they asked me how would I feel if my boyfriend looked at someone, or if I felt restricted about looking at someone. When I answered " well, you guys realize we both would turn around to look, right?" they let go a big "oooohhh", heh it was amusing.

RM8

It's basic decency to be nice to other people. Don't misinterpret people being nice to you, don't allow yourself to "fall" for every single friendly male you encounter in life. Again, I'm sure your situation will improve as you age.

You're 16 dude. Try and make sure you aren't kidding yourself or anything. I had plenty of desires to "just friends" people senseless but then realized I really didn't after letting it happen for a while. Make sure you're completely, genuinely willing to try and maintain a healthy platonic friendship with him before you go off opening up to him all the waym
Thanks, I don't really open up to anyone so that's nothing to worry about. In all honestly, I think it's because I can relate to the dude. He's from Mexico, doesn't really know much English and it reminds me of myself about 6 years ago. He asked me to translate "Me caes bien" (Which I think translates to "I like you"? idk, it sounds weird. Not the "love" like but the friendly like) into English so he could say it to me, lol.

RM8

"Me caes bien" is super innocent. Even more than "I like you" which might be used to imply some interest. It's closer to "you're nice" in intention even if it's hardly a literal translation.

It's basic decency to be nice to other people. Don't misinterpret people being nice to you, don't allow yourself to "fall" for every single friendly male you encounter in life. Again, I'm sure your situation will improve as you age.

Yeah, "all that glitters is not gold". Charm can be a really insubstantial thing.

Just like to clarify tho, I'm not some super slimy clingy guy who falls for anyone or anything that's nice. I'm not that, at all. The "crush" I mentioned like last page or something was the same one from like 9-10 months so yeah lol. Didn't mean to sound so naive or stupid (Tho I might be, idk) so yeah. Just thought I'd share some stuff that happened in a completely boring week.

Still, thanks Rm88 and everyone else. I really appreciate it.

gerg

I won't quote your whole post, Hige, as I wouldn't have much to add, but thanks for such a lengthy, considered response!

In terms of promoting LGBT musicians/athletes, I think there are some parallels to the challenges women face. I was just watching a 9 for IX special, Branded, on ESPN the other day. It was about the standards that female athletes have to live up to in order to be successful. Being good at a sport isn't good enough, they have to be good looking in order to be marketable. Similarly, there have been at least two out country artists promoted by gay sites in the last few months, but there is an emphasis on their looks. I think there's a level of scrutiny faced that's similar to what female pop stars face, whereas straight male musicians can get by on average looks.

Definitely. I know that it's probably to be expected from a site such as theirs, but I remember BuzzFeed running an "article" on Steve Grand (apparently the first openly gay country musician), and the third sentence reads "He’s got a great pair of suspenders, and a pretty killer look." The rest is pretty much a slideshow of his abs.

Another problem is that many out musicians/athletes just haven't been that good. I thought those songs from the country artists were generic, and this Le1f guy's song is equally droll. I think even successful out musicians can have problems appealing to a wider audience outside of women and gay men. Most of the athletes that come out haven't been that great. When Jason Collins came out, people on GAF were kind of shrugging it off since he's getting old for the sport and not a top player. That soccer player that came out seems sort of marketable even if he's an average player (I have no idea) since he has mainstream good looks, but he suffers from soccer's low tier recognition in the US. I can only hope these athletes coming out nudges the door open for more
good
athletes to come out.

Speaking more generally, I still have no idea what to make of the whole media circus that happens whenever an athlete comes out as gay. On the one hand, it's great to see such positive, celebratory attention on the athlete, which can definitely help dispel stereotypes in the process, but at the same time I think it just perpetuates the idea that coming out should be something big (and attention-worthy) at all in the process.

Finally, when it comes to out actors, they've mostly been character actors or otherwise relegated to doing TV instead of film. NPH and Matt Bomer are doing ok on TV right now, but I'm concerned about what's next for them after their shows end. Actors like Ian McKellan and Zachary Quinto are character actors, and were already established before they came out publicly. Supposedly Matt Bomer didn't get cast as Superman because he's gay. I don't know if that's true, but the sad part is it wouldn't surprise me.

Well, Rupert Everett always maintains that his career went down the shitter because he was openly gay. Having said that, he does seem to be an arse anyway, so I imagine that didn't help either.

scarlet

Why is it so hard to find people to have chat with in growlr or scruff?

I write that i just wanna have friends for chat/conversation or drinks in my profile and some of them keep asking for sex

I know it's my fault asking for conversation using apps like that *sigh* *deletes account*

Why is it so hard to find people to have chat with in growlr or scruff?

I write that i just wanna have friends for chat/conversation or drinks in my profile and some of them keep asking for sex

I know it's my fault asking for conversation using apps like that *sigh* *deletes account*

I've had the most luck on Hornet for platonic stuff.

Also: are vests fashionable at all? Ironically, even? I'm tempted to try wearing one but I feel like I'd fail miserably.

scarlet

I've had the most luck on Hornet for platonic stuff.

Also: are vests fashionable at all? Ironically, even? I'm tempted to try wearing one but I feel like I'd fail miserably.

Just checked hornet, nope nope nope ..

Not my cup of tea

And vest is tough one, you should have the right body type to pull it off

Mark1

See if there was a guy whom you felt was out of your league, how would I (this hasn't happened ... yet) be able to ask him out and stuff? Serious question if this happens to me in the future. People think I have a sweet personality.

scarlet

See if there was a guy whom you felt was out of your league, how would I (this hasn't happened ... yet) be able to ask him out and stuff? Serious question if this happens to me in the future. People think I have a sweet personality.

just ask, even though he was out of you league you'll never know if he was into you or not if you never ask him.

my love life is a mess, don't follow me

I met a gay GAFer last night and it was amazing. We kissed, cuddled, talked and laughed all night (from ~11pm to 6am). We tried to get some sleep but it was impossible since we couldn't keep our hands and lips off each other long enough for either of us to fall asleep.

We most probably wouldn't have known each other if it wasn't for this thread, and we're in a Middle Eastern country... damn, what are the odds?

Mark1

just ask, even though he was out of you league you'll never know if he was into you or not if you never ask him.

my love life is a mess, don't follow me
I am doing my bit to be more attractive, aiming to have a body like Darren Criss at the moment. Gays love him.

Before my body gets better though, I'll try talking to guys, should I come across someone attractive. What kind of stuff would you normally say to them? People normally say I'm sweet, kind, caring and anyone would love someone like that. But the thing is I have low self-esteem issues at the moment and I feel people think I'm weird (feeling this way because of my autism).

gerg

What kind of stuff would you normally say to them? People normally say I'm sweet, kind, caring and anyone would love someone like that. But the thing is I have low self-esteem issues at the moment and I feel people think I'm weird (feeling this way because of my autism).

I don't think there's one set way to talk to someone. The only thing I can think of specifically is to be attentive, and to ask questions - I went on a terrible date recently, and the guy only spoke about himself for an hour and a half.

daripad

Is there anyone out of your league?

I met a gay GAFer last night and it was amazing. We kissed, cuddled, talked and laughed all night (from ~11pm to 6am). We tried to get some sleep but it was impossible since we couldn't keep our hands and lips off reach other long enough for either of us to fall asleep.

We most probably wouldn't have known each other if it wasn't for this thread, and we're in a Middle Eastern country... damn,
what are the odds?

Is he who I think he is?

Mark1

Is there anyone out of your league?
There are always people whom I like that are out of my league. Never talked to them or anything cos they're that good looking or something.

There's no one at the moment, just something for me to remember should there be a gay guy I fancy in the future.

daripad

There are always people whom I like that are out of my league. Never talked to them or anything cos they're that good looking or something.

There's no one at the moment, just something for me to remember should there be a gay guy I fancy in the future.
Just don't think that you're going to be rejected. If you are sure they are gay then nothing can go wrong if they don't want you.

I met a gay GAFer last night and it was amazing. We kissed, cuddled, talked and laughed all night (from ~11pm to 6am). We tried to get some sleep but it was impossible since we couldn't keep our hands and lips off each other long enough for either of us to fall asleep.

We most probably wouldn't have known each other if it wasn't for this thread, and we're in a Middle Eastern country... damn, what are the odds?

I'm curious to know who this guy is, but if he's not OK with that then I won't push it.

I'm curious to know who this guy is, but if he's not OK with that then I won't push it.

I haven't discussed this with him (he doesn't know I posted about it, yet)... I guess I'll either mention it to him later tonight, or he might read it himself and decide if he wants to identify himself or not.

Is that really the only way to know? Get to know him for a while then ask him?

What would be the other way to know? You could wait for him to make a statement himself but you might be waiting for a while, if you know you're interested this isn't really a practical course to take.

gerg

Is that really the only way to know? Get to know him for a while then ask him?

I mean, you could wait for a magical moment when you discover the mutual, hidden passion burning in (both of) your loins, but given that that may not happen I'd say yeah, that is.

Maybe there's something to do differences in people's pheromones that I just don't pick up, or maybe it's because I'm not really camp at all (and don't buy into any stereotypes of sexuality), but my gaydar is pretty shit. So I say either someone them directly, or ask them out.

daripad

What would be the other way to know? You could wait for him to make a statement himself but you might be waiting for a while, if you know you're interested this isn't really a practical course to take.
And some statements are not even accurate, for example I sometimes say a girl is pretty but I don't mean I want anything with her, while I always hide my gay side.

I would say that you pay attention to his eyes. Observe where he is looking at, if he stares at guys or girls. If he notices you and he is gay, he might smile at you.

gerg

I would say that you pay attention to his eyes. Observe where he is looking at, if he stares at guys or girls. If he notices you and he is gay, he might smile at you.

Again, that's not a fool-proof method. I'm gay, and yet almost all of my big-chested girlfriends say I constantly stare at their breasts.

Mark1

No one thinks I like men either. If I don't have the courage to ask then I'll watch his body language. edit: Though that may not work either :p

I think gaydar as a thing is exaggerated. I think you can detect which guys are interested in you because while friendliness and romantic interest can blur if you step back they generally have a distinct character, but if you have to be unconcerned with the result to get a clear reading this obviously has a harder time being applied to when you do actually care. Gay guys usually also have a more socially guarded aspect due to like gender norms and junk where sometimes if you watch their expressions you can practically see the filter they're using to not give too much of themselves away, which I think is where the 'gaydar' thing often comes from because the person doesn't have to be attracted to you to see it, and it applies on a sort of 'takes one to know one' basis, like you have to have some personal familiarity with that 'filter' to be able to see it in other people. But even if you can see this on a fairly reliable basis, it doesn't really mean much. So they're probably gay, so what? You're still in a practically identical position on the question of 'do you like me?' You can generally feel out if someone is a bigot, or a jerk, or unsafe to confide in right away anyways because this is like a common sense social-skill thing that we need in other areas of our life, and it kind of renders this entire step pretty unnecessary.

Mark1

What I'll do next time there's someone I fancy is I'll initiate some talk with him. Keep doing this for a few days then ask if he would like to go out for a coffee. Am I doing something wrong here? Can I do something better?

RM8

As I've said multiple times, just lurk his Facebook :p It's obviously not surefire, but plenty of hints can be found.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
He's from Mexico [. . .] He asked me to translate "Me caes bien" (Which I think translates to "I like you"? idk, it sounds weird. Not the "love" like but the friendly like) into English so he could say it to me, lol.
Reminds me of a scene from a movie. I don't know the name of it, and I only caught a glimpse.

It's a Spanish movie (Latin American, I guess), and there was a conversation between two guys. They were sitting next to each other or something.

Guy1: How do you say I like you in English.
Guy2: I like you.
Guy1: How do you say I really like you?
Guy2: I like you very much.
Guy2: I like you very much, cabron. (I'm pretty sure he added that last word. :p)
Guy2 then kisses Guy1.

I don't think it was a gay movie, but I'd still like to know the name.

Mark1

As I've said multiple times, just lurk his Facebook :p It's obviously not surefire, but plenty of hints can be found.
I don't know many who set their preference to men. It would make things interesting if people automatically set theirs.

Grakl

The pros almost always outweigh the cons if you just ask someone if they're gay or not, unless you'll get harmed for asking or something similar. Just ask.

Rayis

Is it bad that I get irrationally angry about people praising beards because I have been able to grow one since I was 13 and I hate it? it's such a mess and I don't look good with one, my facial hair grows incredibly fast and it disgusts me.
Yet I also like scruffy men with beards and body hair but for some reason I hate it on myself, I swear I don't understand myself sometimes.

Mark1

Is it bad that I get irrationally angry about people praising beards because I have been able to grow one since I was 13 and I hate it? it's such a mess and I don't look good with one, my facial hair grows incredibly fast and it disgusts me.
Yet I also like scruffy men with beards and body hair but for some reason I hate it on myself, I swear I don't understand myself sometimes.
If I understand this, you don't like looking after a beard, yet like others with them? No problem with that at all.

The pros almost always outweigh the cons if you just ask someone if they're gay or not, unless you'll get harmed for asking or something similar. Just ask.
I've never done this before ever, asking someone out. It's scary, yet exciting at the same time. I'll wait until I see someone I truly like.

Reminds me of a scene from a movie. I don't know the name of it, and I only caught a glimpse.

It's a Spanish movie (Latin American, I guess), and there was a conversation between two guys. They were sitting next to each other or something.

Guy2: I like you very much, cabron. (I'm pretty sure he added that last word. :p)
Guy2 then kisses Guy1.

Oh wow, lol.
It reminded me of when I used to ask my classmates to translate whatever the teacher said to me like back in 4th grade.
Got me thinking if what I said was the right translation... "I like you" sounds innacurate to me.
hmmm.. maybe "You're alright/You're ok" is a better translation, it sounds more like what "Me caes bien" is supposed to mean. Shit, I know both english and spanish but my ability to translate is crap.

mantidor

Guy2 then kisses Guy1.

Latinamerican men do not kiss, ever, maybe in Argentina, but the cabrón would make think this is from Mexico so I would say it was a gay movie. :p

It doesn't ring a bell unfortunately.

Menaged

Welp, I'm getting worried, and this time I don't think it's for nothing.

Our date was on wednesday, we talked a bit Thrusday morning, and I called him during the evening. He didn't answer, so I figured he was at work. He didn't call me back that day, and not on the next until I texted him afternoon how's he doing. He called me and said last night he was tired so he didn't pick up the phone, and today he forgot that I called him. That phone call lasted a few minutes since he came back from the beach and wanted to take a shower. We didn't talk since (it will be 48 hours tomorrow).

I know there's a possibility that I'm an idiot and everything's ok, but I have this feeling that it's not going to continue. I don't want to call \ text since I feel like I'd be pushing too hard.

I guess I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon and if he won't make contact I'll ask him if my feeling is justified. I know it might be stupid since I might come out like someone who lacks any confidince whatsoever, but I think it's better than not knowing if it's heading somewhere.

----------------

Not knowing if someone's gay is annyoing as fuck.
I hate that we have two obstacles to overcome. One is the gay thing, and the other - like everyone else - is the fear of rejection. It's just too much for me to handle :\
I don't have a gaydar so I can't rely on that.

This dating but not really dating this guy feels a bit weird :p

We watched a movie with his friend last night. Going out tonight again. I'm cool. But it's still a bit weird.

KmA

I don't think that is so weird. I have an attraction to people that have the opposite qualities I have (I mean physically). I have tanner, darker skin but I like lighter skin, I'm short but I want someone who is tall, I have small thin frame but I like bigger frames etc. But I have beard and would prefer someone with a beard. I don't know, attraction is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom