• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

HeelPower

This game is what happens when SE puts out a game from announcement to release in a years time, so I'm really expecting XV to be massive.

Exactly my thoughts.

The game has astounding amounts of detail with NPCs, game systems and quests.A lot more than you would expect on a game with such a strict release schedule.

This is definitely bigger and more detailed than XIII-2(outside of graphics)

This can only mean that given FFXV's time and budget, SE can deliver truly something amazing.

Zafir

I think they should have had a clock, but done away with the time limit to be perfectly honest. I like that there is time in the world, it makes the world feel more real. However the time limit just creates problems, you feel like you don't have enough time in the beginning, and people seem to suggest you have too much time at the end.

HeelPower

I think they should have had a clock, but done away with the time limit to be perfectly honest. I like that there is time in the world, it makes the world feel more real. However the time limit just creates problems, you feel like you don't have enough time in the beginning, and people seem to suggest you have too much time at the end.

Yeah this concept of time passage and a clock can really be immersive at times in this game.

I love it.

So they could next make a game with time passage as such but without the overall time limit.

Yeah this concept of time passage and a clock can really be immersive at times in this game.

I love it.

So they could next make a game with time passage as such but without the overall time limit.

It's interesting that you say that....

....because that is exactly what FFXV has. Day/night cycles were confirmed a long, long time ago.

rybrad

I think I am going to start this tonight, any hot tips I should know? Also, can you redeem the codes for pre-order bonuses in the middle of a playthrough or can you only get them at the beginning? I might give mine to a buddy since he cares about that stuff way more than me but want to make sure they are usable.

Zafir

....because that is exactly what FFXV has. Day/night cycles were confirmed a long, long time ago.
I hope they do it to this kind of detail though. It's something I do really like and appreciate in games. I mean a lot of games have day/night cycles, but very few actually do something with time passage, and give people schedules and stuff. I know Xenoblade did it, though due to the scope of the game, the world was a bit less detailed.
I think I am going to start this tonight, any hot tips I should know? Also, can you redeem the codes for pre-order bonuses in the middle of a playthrough or can you only get them at the beginning? I might give mine to a buddy since he cares about that stuff way more than me but want to make sure they are usable.
Any time, you can just go into the triangle menu and choose the "Rewards Barter Shop".

HeelPower

FFXV gonna be so good.My brain is gonna explode when they actually show the game off lol

Hopefully FFXV is gonna take everything to the best level possible with its quests and its world.

E3 can't come soon enough....

I hope they do it to this kind of detail though. It's something I do really like and appreciate in games. I mean a lot of games have day/night cycles, but very few actually do something with time passage, and give people schedules and stuff. I know Xenoblade did it, though due to the scope of the game, the world was a bit less detailed.

Any time, you can just go into the triangle menu and choose the "Rewards Barter Shop".

Time passage sure but schedules? If I wanted that I would go outside and do something productive instead of playing a game that tells me when I can and can't do things depending on the in game time. That is so restrictive.

Edit: Not mad at you at all. I just have a strong opinion about games that lock you out of things depending on the time. Realistic passage of time is fine because it's not restricting anything I do. Locking people out of things affects the meta game and it honestly affects the enjoyment I get out of my games.

Zafir

Time passage sure but schedules? If I wanted that I would go outside and do something productive instead of playing a game that tells me when I can and can't do things depending on the in game time. That is so restrictive.
Hardly restrictive unless you do what Lightning Returns did and give a time limit. Skyrim has a wait feature for a reason, you know.

Hardly restrictive unless you do what Lightning Returns did and give a time limit. Skyrim has a wait feature for a reason, you know.

I am gonna sound like such a douche right now but I don't like Skyrim either. The feature you posted is exactly one of the reasons why I don't like that game. :/

HeelPower

The Witcher also has time schedules but no time limits and it works great.

It just adds to the realism of the world.That these characters have a life going on.

Witcher has meditation(wait) or fireplaces in the case of the first game.

I really liked the convenience of Xenoblade's system.

This NPC only shows up at 6-9am at this part of Colony 9? No problem! Just pull up the clock anytime you want and skip straight to sunrise. Easy.

Monsters at night kicking your arse? Switch to the day instantly.

Zafir

I am gonna sound like such a douche right now but I don't like Skyrim either. The feature you posted is exactly one of the reasons why I don't like it. :/
Each to their own I guess. I'm not a big fan of Skyrim either, but that's for other reasons. I just like it because it makes the world feel more alive if people actually seem like they have their own lives, and aren't just stood in the same spot doing nothing all day every day. I guess I can thank playing Shenmue when it came out for it, although due to no wait feature it could be rather annoying, I just loved how immersive the world felt for it's time.
Edit:
I really liked the convenience of Xenoblade's system.

This NPC only shows up at 6-9am at this part of Colony 9? No problem! Just pull up the clock anytime you want and skip straight to sunrise. Easy.

Monsters at night kicking your arse? Switch to the day instantly.
Yeah, exactly. It can be done in a way that isn't restrictive at all.

Each to their own I guess. I'm not a big fan of Skyrim either, but that's for other reasons. I just like it because it makes the world feel more alive if people actually seem like they have their own lives, and aren't just stood in the same spot doing nothing all day every day. I guess I can thank playing Shenmue when it came out for it, although due to no wait feature it could be rather annoying, I just loved how immersive the world felt for it's time.

Oh no. That's not the only reason I disliked Skyrim. It was one of the reasons but there were so many other reasons that I won't divulge here because it is not the right place to do so. Sorry to derail.

If it's done like Xenoblade where you just pass the time to get to a specific point without consequence then I won't mind.

HeelPower

I am gonna sound like such a douche right now but I don't like Skyrim either. The feature you posted is exactly one of the reasons why I don't like that game. :/

Could you give a good reason why you dislike the wait feature?

Its a very simple adjustment you have to make from a menu.I don't see how its worthy of dislike.

Like Zafir said it adds livelihood and realism to the game's world.Imagine roaming the empty streets of Lucis at night only to find them empty.Everyone is at home/asleep with only the drunkards out at night. ;P

Beyond the cosmetic aspect of Day/Night is varying events and opportunities to discover at different times of the day.

If it's done like Xenoblade where you just pass the time to get to a specific point without consequence then I won't mind.

yeah it should be like that in FFXV.That's the best way to do it.

Go_Ly_Dow

Finally finished Yuusnan and Luxerion... Only 5 days left tho so no idea how I am for time

Which quest is easier Dead Dunes or Wild Lands?

Zafir

Finally finished Yuusnan and Luxerion... Only 5 days left tho so no idea how I am for time

Wildlands is mostly a walk in the park. 3-1/3-2 are very easy, and chapter 5 just revolves around getting fragments from other maps.

Nohar

Any chance they can patch the Xbox 360 version of the game in the future? The framerate makes the game barely enjoyable in some aeras (especially the Wildlands where the framerate drops like crazy in some places).

neoism

Wouldn't have been so bad if doing battles had more meaning, aka leveling through them... but no.

WTF really :( Wow that is stupid... I wasn't considering this til a drop this summer or something but a JRPG where battles don't matter... smh square

HeelPower

I recommend dead dunes.

Don't know if its easier but it has a very well designed and interesting dungeon.

Dead Dunes is my favorite part of the game so far (out of luxerion , yusnaan and dead dunes)

Yusnaan is leaving a much better impression on me than Luxerion. I think finding those numbers was just a bad design decision, whereas Luxerion's main quest is so much more interesting and clear. Also I'll be damned if Lightning isn't finally warming up to me as a character. They give her and Hope some legitimately hilarious moments in Yusnaan and her stoic nature has become incredibly self-aware.

I think my biggest problem with the game is actually the nature of the sidequests. While I'm not minding all the sidequests now, they're not something I look forward to on replays. That's one aspect that I think should carry over if you fail; having your stats and whatnot transfer is one thing, but the idea of having to do those quests again bugs the shit out of me.

Really good game though so far.

WTF really :( Wow that is stupid... I wasn't considering this til a drop this summer or something but a JRPG where battles don't matter... smh square

Not true at all. You get money from them, and while you don't get EXP, you do ironically get experience-- the more battles you do, the better at guarding/blocking and understanding all the mechanics and switching between schemata you become. You also gain abilities from enemies and defeating certain enemies are tied to sidequests. They're certainly not pointless.

Terra_Ex

And yet oddly enough it feels like a Tri-Ace Prototype that was taken and painted over with Lightning and pals with a time limit thrown in for the heck of it.
It's hardly thrown in for the heck of it, it is basically Lighting, placed into a VP game framework, with the various myths and terminology adapted for the FF13 world. I thought duckroll was trolling a few months back but clearly not.

You are the Valkyrie/Saviour, you must descend from Valhalla/The Ark to save worthy souls/souls. You only have X days because Ragnarok/world is ending. You have a limited amount of turns/time to act. You report to and work for Odin/God. Your friend Freya/Hope helps you out and lets you know how you're doing. You have special powers, a cold demeanour and feel beyond reproach of the worlds populace.

And yet, despite the fact the game takes itself too seriously, it is actually enjoyable for what it is, having Lighting decked out in a purple suit and shades preaching about her holy mission has kept me entertained for hours so far.

Zafir

I think my biggest problem with the game is actually the nature of the sidequests. While I'm not minding all the sidequests now, they're not something I look forward to on replays. That's one aspect that I think should carry over if you fail; having your stats and whatnot transfer is one thing, but the idea of having to do those quests again bugs the shit out of me.

Really good game though so far.
Admittedly, I'm not sure if I'll be going for the plat for this very reason. The thought of having to do all the side quests again on a second playthrough puts me off it.

Go_Ly_Dow

anyone know the name of the track that plays during the morning in Yuusnan and Luxerion?

don't want to blind search in case I encounter spoils!

thanks

Admittedly, I'm not sure if I'll be going for the plat for this very reason. The thought of having to do all the side quests again on a second playthrough puts me off it.

Yep. Again it would have been one thing if your completed quests carried over into your next attempt; in fact it would have made things dramatically better. I actually really like the main quests so far aside from the numbers bullshit, so if I didn't have to bother with the sidequests ever again I would feel so much better about future playthroughs or getting them all finished.

I guess another fact is that certain sidequests can only be done if others are failed, in some situations, so I guess it would be impossible to do them all. I wonder if you would still get the trophy/trophies for completing all sidequests as long as you actually finish all of them at some point on the same file. If that were the case, since stats and shit carry over, you could literally just play the main quest and only initiate and fail quests that lead to the ones you need.

Adaren

Not experiencing this at all. Battles give gil, EP, and drops. All of these are important, especially EP in the short term. Besides, the battle system is so fun that I want to fight every battle. The fact that battles don't give XP mainly serves to deter objectiveless grinding, imo.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just thought of an alternative thread title: Motomu's Mask. Get it? Get it?

JerkShep

Any tips for beating
Caius
?
Haven't had much difficulty up until this point.

Yep the jump in difficulty with that boss is kinda big.

Go full defense and debuff with one garb. You should have found in the dungeon an accessory that protects you from all the elements (33%), it can be useful. Raw strenght and magic for the other two garbs. If you have done one of the subquests in Jagq Village you may want to use Soldier of Peace, it has a very strong physical attack. Try to stagger him but above all cause costant damage and debuff him. You can easily parry most of his attacks in Commando version, when he's in Ravanger I've found it's a bit more difficult to get perfect parry but you should try nonetheless. Use Esuna(aga?), the EP ability, if you're inflicted with status aliments. And try to have a lot of items at your disposal, he can do a lot of damage unfortunately.

Good luck, it's definitely the hardest boss of the five main quests.

Adaren

What are y'all's impressions of the Area Sweep ability? The knockup is cool, but the damage is so low that I'm struggling to find a situation where I actually want to use it.

neoism

Not experiencing this at all. Battles give gil, EP, and drops. All of these are important, especially EP in the short term. Besides, the battle system is so fun that I want to fight every battle. The fact that battles don't give XP mainly serves to deter objectiveless grinding, imo.

Well that does sound alot better but I do love grinding....:p

Top Bottom