• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII |OT| Toriyama's Bizarre Adventure

I just want to play the game and relax and I feel the timer takes away from that tremendously. It looked like everything was going to be alright there for awhile, but it caught up with me and I just don't have the time to explore, complete quests and mess around like I love to do in games like this. I know what they were going for, I just think it works against having the freedom to enjoy a game the way you want. Especially since it's an RPG with more of an open world. I'm having a great time otherwise, though.

Instantly regretted my decision to buy this as soon as I saw the time limit. I had managed to avoid any coverage - as I do with all RPGs. But boy do I wish I had followed news on this game now.

Same as you, I like freedom to explore and just mess around doing side quests etc. I never play games through a second time unless they are exceptional. But that is rare.

I'll probably have to read a lot of spoilers now just to see how it plays out and if I'll manage to get the chance to really do what I want in the game. But at the moment £35 down the drain as far as I'm concerned.

I've been putting a lot of time into this game over the last few days. It's much, much better than what I was expecting. The combat is extremely satisfying, and the dialog/story doesn't seem as bad when using the Japanese audio DLC. Lightning as a character is much more likeable than the previous games, and some of her one-liners are genuinely funny such as
the "I'm only here for the steak" line on her date with Lennet sidequest
. The only major negative so far for me is how bad some of the art assets in this game are. Some areas are beautiful, but some assets look like they are straight out of N64 era.

I know the reviews are bad, but I'm actually enjoying this one more than FF13 and FF13-2 so far.

i just read that side quests dont carry on over if my time runs out..
is that true? do they still count as clear but appear again? or i have to actually do all of them in 1 playthrough to get the trophies?

Shinta

Banned
i just read that side quests dont carry on over if my time runs out..
is that true? do they still count as clear but appear again? or i have to actually do all of them in 1 playthrough to get the trophies?

In one playthrough I think, not only for trophies but to unlock the 13th and 14th days. Basically the only thing that doesn't carry over is quests, and key items. Everything else does, so yes you will be redoing many quests.

In one playthrough I think, not only for trophies but to unlock the 13th and 14th days. Basically the only thing that doesn't carry over is quests, and key items. Everything else does, so yes you will be redoing many quests.

ugh..
i'm playing as the saviour and i'm doing the most mundane tasks, such as getting a little boy's rubber ball down from a roof.
ugh.
lol
oh well, its a good game.

I found a first edition FFXIII with holographic cover for $7.99 at Half Price Books today with a terrible case (easily replaced). I guess my fiancee and I will start it soon!

MilkBeard

Exactly my thoughts.

The game has astounding amounts of detail with NPCs, game systems and quests.A lot more than you would expect on a game with such a strict release schedule.

This is definitely bigger and more detailed than XIII-2(outside of graphics)

This can only mean that given FFXV's time and budget, SE can deliver truly something amazing.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty surprised by this game. I've actually had more fun with Lightning Returns than I had with XIII and XIII-2, despite the janky design that shows the game was put together really fast.

In some ways, this game also has some elements that those others did not, in terms of Lightning's interaction, and even having a sense of humor. There was a little humor in XIII if I remember, but it mostly had to do with making Sazh the comic relief, which was unfortunate because later on he proved to be one of the better characters in the game.

One thing that made me realize this, was when I got to the
moogle village
. The interaction between
Mog
and Lightning was hilarious and unexpected. It kind of reminded me of how a lot of the older Final Fantasy titles had little bits of humor like that sprinkled throughout. It's like, it's a serious game, but it is necessary for the game to make fun of things sometimes and have a bit of humor.

Anyway, this game is interesting, and it gives me some hope that SE's troubles are behind them and they can focus on good game design. With XV looming on the horizon, I hope they put this experience to good use and give us a really well made game.

Reveirg

That's the thing. You have this large world filled with quests that encourage you to explore and discover, humorous characters and hidden items to find, etc. But I am being punished if I take too long to try and enjoy all of that. The game is fun as hell, but I don't really want to have to start a 30 hour RPG over because I run out of fucking time. I know it's designed that way, but it's bullshit all the same.

I've been careful with my time management without actually being in any hurry (I've stopped to look at environments and listen to musical easter eggs countless times). I now have finished 90% of sidequests, every main quest and I have 5 days left.

It's really not an issue as long as you fight enough battles. That shouldn't be an issue since they're so fun. The Last Ones are nice incentives too.

MilkBeard

I've been careful with my time management without actually being in any hurry (I've stopped to look at environments and listen to musical easter eggs countless times). I now have finished 90% of sidequests, every main quest and I have 5 days left.

It's really not an issue as long as you fight enough battles. That shouldn't be an issue since they're so fun. The Last Ones are nice incentives too.

Yeah, it's really not that big a deal, as long as you complete the main quests while you are doing your other bits of exploring, just to help keep the days extended. The game is made so that you can do side quests and main quests together, at the same time. And personally, I think this design is a breath of fresh air, which fixes one of the downsides of having an open world: sluggish pacing.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I just finished the Luxerion quest. Story is SO good. Finally the writing got better too compared to XIII-2, at least here. If only there was more of it during the long moments between big events. Ali Hillis also does a great job at giving subtle emotions to a character that is not meant to show anything.

Adaren

Instantly regretted my decision to buy this as soon as I saw the time limit. I had managed to avoid any coverage - as I do with all RPGs. But boy do I wish I had followed news on this game now.

Same as you, I like freedom to explore and just mess around doing side quests etc. I never play games through a second time unless they are exceptional. But that is rare.

I'll probably have to read a lot of spoilers now just to see how it plays out and if I'll manage to get the chance to really do what I want in the game. But at the moment £35 down the drain as far as I'm concerned.

Some people are having trouble with the time limits, but I think most of us are finding that the time limit is really lenient. I'm not using guides and I'm not rushing through everything I do. I'm just moving intelligently and engaging every monster that gets in my path (which gets you points to freeze time). After 3 days of in-game time, I had finished approximately half of the main questlines. I don't think I could possibly be rushed at this point.

I just finished the Luxerion quest. Story is SO good. Finally the writing got better too compared to XIII-2, at least here. If only there was more of it during the long moments between big events.

Yeah, totally not seeing where all the reviews bashing on the story/writing are coming from. Not every line is perfectly delivered, but I'd hardly consider the game weak in either category. I keep waiting for the story to dive off the deep end, but each new character is as sympathetic, well-motivated, and interesting as the last.

No matter how disastrous the ending supposedly is, I don't think it could possibly make me think the writing/story is actually bad. We'll see, though!

MilkBeard

BglYFUdCcAA2QxU.jpg

Digging this particular outfit. It's the Primavera outfit, and the Il Nome Della Rosa shield with the Shadow Hunter javelin. Also decided to put on a Moonlight Mask to complete the outfit.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Can you really not upgrade weapons and accessories until New Game plus? I'm thirty hours in and I'm feeling really underequipped at this point. :(

Adaren

Digging this particular outfit. It's the Primavera outfit, and the Il Nome Della Rosa shield with the Shadow Hunter javelin. Also decided to put on a Moonlight Mask to complete the outfit.

I love the Primavera outfit. It's the main reason I asked about Area Sweep a couple pages back...I'm going to keep using Primavera, but it's not because of Area Sweep. :| Can't find a good use for it.

Also, my setup for it is the XIII-2 weapon/shield + Pure Earrings.

So I just finished Day 4. Beat
Snow
, and I also
got all of the soul fragments for Sazh
… I'm probably going to hit the Dead Dunes next. I already ventured in far enough to
kill the Cactair
, but that was about it. Between
Caius
and
Noel
, which is easier to beat? I'm trying to decide which one to take out next.

MilkBeard

I love the Primavera outfit. It's the main reason I asked about Area Sweep a couple pages back...I'm going to keep using Primavera, but it's not because of Area Sweep. :| Can't find a good use for it.

Also, my setup for it is the XIII-2 weapon/shield + Pure Earrings.

Apparently Area Sweep works well at extending stagger time, if you can remember to use it. It's kind of limited though, because you have to be right next to the enemy for it to connect. She won't run up to it. But I think it also works at hitting multiple enemies if they are surrounding you. I haven't found much use for the technique yet but it's a strong outfit nonetheless.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I just finished Day 4. Beat
Snow
, and I also
got all of the soul fragments for Sazh
… I'm probably going to hit the Dead Dunes next. I already ventured in far enough to
kill the Cactair
, but that was about it. Between
Caius
and
Noel
, which is easier to beat? I'm trying to decide which one to take out next.
The latter is way easier.

The latter is way easier.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Are there any garbs that are particularly helpful for either boss? At this point, my old standby of Passion Rouge / SOLDIER / Electronica has served me well so far. Occasionally I'll swap out Passion Rouge for Midnight Mauve. But other than that I don't change much of my loadout aside from some equipment and abilities here and there.

Falk

that puzzling face
Seriously refreshing to me that this game is so self-aware. It seems to strike a good balance between ham-fisted drama but also being very aware that it is ham-fisted drama.

*huge amounts of drama*
*Snow redeemed after looking like he died*
*lots of poignant dialogue, what Serah would want*
Lightning: btw your hair is total shit

Again, I'm going to reiterate you haven't experienced the sheer absurdity of what this game can be until you do this cutscene wearing a pink-recolored Mermaid garb with the Moogle pom pom accessory

Sioen

Gah my game is late it was supposed to be here on friday, but still haven't seen it. Good thing there's a beta of tf now.

SirNinja

Damn, Chronostasis is abusable as hell. It's day 2 and I've arrived in the Wildlands (for the first time) at around 7 AM. I've completely nursed the white chocobo back to health, and the clock is only at 8:32 AM (briefly ran out of EP in the forest while looking for mushrooms; otherwise, Chronostasis was active pretty much the entire time).

Can I buy Ethers somewhere? :( Had to use one on Yusnaan Boss, unfortunately.

I have no idea whether any merchants stock them. Outerworld NPCs have them if you're semi-lucky.

Anyone else finding this game really stressful to play with the time limit?

The concept itself isn't terrible but I hate how almost every side quest is only active at a certain time and then some other ones have to be revisited multiple days. It's starting to feel like I have to plan a damn itinerary to complete most of the content in the game. Not something I'm finding appealing so far.

As of right now I've done the main quest lines for Luxerion and Yusnaan with 7 side quests left to complete between the two. Haven't touched Wildlands or Dead Dunes yet though. No idea if I'm on a good pace or not as I just started day 5. I'm just hopeful I end up with enough spare time to do everything the game has to offer.

Outside of that though I'm having a good time with the game. It's fun to play and I'm honestly getting some enjoyment out of the story (although I freaking can't stand Lumina). Hopefully as I continue to knock out the side quests it'll feel a little less stressful.

The Quest continues
BgaOMJACMAAGvKp.jpg

Bge6XG1CcAAki5w.jpg

BgfAXmsCUAI05Hh.jpg

Some Mythology art
BgfMorWCIAA4Cpf.jpg

BggEEcfCIAAPdse.jpg

BgkeVJhCEAMMoe1.jpg

an injury from the last boss (it's just an accessory)
Bgkew0lCQAAwxHu.jpg

Bgkfq4CCYAAM-Je.jpg

BgknfM6CQAA96vj.jpg

the last turtle (because we killed them all hunting trapz)
BgkufaSCQAAszSQ.jpg

arrived at Yusann
BglF4_ACQAEnzJw.jpg

BglOlD1CcAALQZR.jpg

Xevren

Not going to lie, if I couldn't put a top hat on Lightning I probably wouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am. Still kind of mixed on it overall. I don't mind the time limit so much though.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah, totally not seeing where all the reviews bashing on the story/writing are coming from. Not every line is perfectly delivered, but I'd hardly consider the game weak in either category. I keep waiting for the story to dive off the deep end, but each new character is as sympathetic, well-motivated, and interesting as the last.

And let's not forget that finally they made the DATALOG useless. All the story events are talked in the game, even background stuff. I'm surprised how much of the infos are finally told through ingame events. That's good. This could been the best written in the trilogy. The review-moaning against it is totally superficial when most of the jRPGs that came out are even written worse than this yet never pointed it out in their reviews. So lol.

HeelPower

The Quest continues

gorgeous screens.

And let's not forget that finally they made the DATALOG useless. All the story events are talked in the game, even background stuff. I'm surprised how much of the infos are finally told through ingame events. That's good. This could been the best written in the trilogy. The review-moaning against it is totally superficial when most of the jRPGs that came out are even written worse than this yet never pointed it out in their reviews. So lol.

The datalog is actually very concise ,easy to follow and well made this time.

But I get what you mean.

MilkBeard

Blasted f
uckball

Ha ha. Didn't know that
Sazh's
event was a main quest, I thought it was a sidequest. Well, then that means the temple I went to was really the extra dungeon. Makes sense, because the first time I went in there I got my ass handed to me by regular enemies.

I've completed the main quests now, and now it's at the point where I'm gonna go through that dungeon and finish up other quests before the end. I'm at about 28 hours by the way.

KeRaSh

Started playing this game last night. I love FFXIII. It's one of my all time favorite FF games (deal with it).
Lightning Returns however is really not my cup of tea. I dislike the battle system a lot, the graphics are a huge step down and the time limit is annoying. I want to play games at my own pace and see everything.
Now I feel like I have to constantly look at a guide to finish all the quests as fast as possible so I don't miss anything...
I actually restarted the game on Easy because I realized that I want to get through this as fast and frictionless as possible...

Zafir

Started playing this game last night. I love FFXIII. It's one of my all time favorite FF games (deal with it).
Lightning Returns however is really not my cup of tea. I dislike the battle system a lot, the graphics are a huge step down and the time limit is annoying. I want to play games at my own pace and see everything.
Now I feel like I have to constantly look at a guide to finish all the quests as fast as possible so I don't miss anything...
I actually restarted the game on Easy because I realized that I want to get through this as fast and frictionless as possible...
Were you using chronostasis a lot?

After the first day, you can find plenty of mobs to fill your EP back up making time pretty much infinite.
Blasted f
uckball

Ha ha. Didn't know that
Sazh's
event was a main quest, I thought it was a sidequest. Well, then that means the temple I went to was really the extra dungeon. Makes sense, because the first time I went in there I got my ass handed to me by regular enemies.

I've completed the main quests now, and now it's at the point where I'm gonna go through that dungeon and finish up other quests before the end. I'm at about 28 hours by the way.
The temple in wildlands is 3-3, not optional, I thought?

MilkBeard

Were you using chronostasis a lot?

After the first day, you can find plenty of mobs to fill your EP back up making time pretty much infinite.

The temple in wildlands is 3-3, not optional, I thought?

I just assumed that was the extra dungeon people were talking about, because I was mistaken, I thought there were only 4 main quests, but there are actually five. But I just looked it up, and yeah, the extra dungeon happens on the 'extra day.'

Hope you enjoyed the dead dunes.

What's the outfit in the second to last screen btw ?

I did, especially because of Fang. I still need to finish quests there, but decided to go to Yusnan .

the outfit is the Seigfried one.

the game is challenging. the desert earth eaters and the boss haha

Neolith

Oh yeah and I uploaded my battle score with zaltys during the demo and never got the Siegfried garb. Do I need upload to Facebook or something?

Zafir

I just assumed that was the extra dungeon people were talking about, because I was mistaken, I thought there were only 4 main quests, but there are actually five. But I just looked it up, and yeah, the extra dungeon happens on the 'extra day.'
There is a dungeon on the extra day yeah, you unlock it by doing 50 side quests. However, the temple in the wildlands isn't that.

HeelPower

I did, especially because of Fang. I still need to finish quests there, but decided to go to Yusnan .

the outfit is the Seigfried one.

the game is challenging. the desert earth eaters and the boss haha

yeah the dungeon was really great.

Idk how do I get this outfit ? That's the one from the demo right ? I posted my resuts via outerworld before so it should be in reward barter ?

Oh yeah and I uploaded my battle score with zaltys during the demo and never got the Siegfried garb. Do I need upload to Facebook or something?

well i uploaded it to twitter, but I've read that you don't need to have those accounts, did you check the rewards thing in the menu?

Koozek

Hmmm, I might run out of time if I keep doing sidequests so much.
Do I have to save one day for the last dungeon or are there enough battles to chronostasis your way through? Just don't want to reach the time limit when I'm in middle of the last dungeon or so :/
Well, on the other hand: No risk, no fun :D

Top Bottom