• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: FINAL FANTASY XIII PC |OT| Light Eternal

You got to do sidequests to level up stats. The bosses were really hard. Probably the hardest main-story bosses in any FF.

OK ya I'm just curious about how many sidequests one can do if I'm following how the system works...says 4 days left already. I'm in the area to fight
Noel
and the gates are locked to access the rest of the level until midnight lol...not digging some of these design choices in this game.

Thoraxes

OK ya I'm just curious about how many sidequests one can do if I'm following how the system works...says 4 days left already. I'm in the area to fight
Noel
and the gates are locked to access the rest of the level until midnight lol...not digging some of these design choices in this game.

Basically the flow is like this:

Chronostasis > do side-quests > fight enemies along the way to replenish your EP to use chronostasis again > repeat

The key is min-maxing that flow and getting the balance right between when you need to fight, explore, use chronostasis, and quest.

It's harder in Luxerion and Yusnaan, but in the other zones there are plenty of enemies that will give you a full EP just from battling them. If there was an area that was gated off to me because of the time stuff, i'd usually go to another area, quest and let time pass there till it was time to go back.

Really, just make sure you're using your EP. There aren't many benefits to just trying to save it all the time, and it helps keep you focused on going to and completing your objectives because of chronostasis' time-limit per use.

The more side-quests you do, the more days you add to Yggdrasil from the Eradia earned, which can extend your playtime up to day 13 (14) if you do enough.

Thoraxes

What happens if the time runs out and you not even close to the end if the game?

The apocalypse happens and then you go to a NG+ (or you can just start over if you want)

Your stats, garbs, abilities, etc. carry over.

Kinda like Majora in a way, lol

Yeah so I'm guessing steam is going to default my game version to the Japanese one since I live here.... so much for being able to play this.

Any way to trade or contact steam directly on this?

The apocalypse happens and then you go to a NG+ (or you can just start over if you want)

Your stats, garbs, abilities, etc. carry over.

Kinda like Majora in a way, lol

It's real time that the game uses, right?

So, if I start the game, and leave it running until it ends, and a NG+ start, can I choose Hard then?

Or do I need to beat the game on Normal to unlock it?

Thoraxes

It's real time that the game uses, right?

So, if I start the game, and leave it running until it ends, and a NG+ start, can I choose Hard then?

Or do I need to beat the game on Normal to unlock it?

The game has its own clock, and you would have to go back down to the surface each day.

However, I think you need to defeat the final boss once in order to get hard mode. On PC though, this should be easy to do because there are probably saves out there you can just download and get started on now if you really wanted to just start there.

The game has its own clock, and you would have to go back down to the surface each day.

However, I think you need to defeat the final boss once in order to get hard mode. On PC though, this should be easy to do because there are probably saves out there you can just download and get started on now if you really wanted to just start there.

Oh >.>, that sucks.

And doesn't the game use only the cloud for saves? I haven't started yet, so I don't have the files to go through and see myself =X

But if I can, I might wait for a save to pop up somewhere. Thanks!

Still like game. Get the occasional frame drops on a 980 though.

Beat Snow. Now onto the Wildlands. I pretty much know what to do all everything; I got like all the achievements of 360.

Zafir

Yeah so I'm guessing steam is going to default my game version to the Japanese one since I live here.... so much for being able to play this.

Any way to trade or contact steam directly on this?
Can you not just right click the game in steam -> properties -> language tab and then choose English?

It defaulted me to Japanese voices for some reason, you can change that on the settings at the main menu.

Zafir

Yeah I played through on normal back on the PS3 and I wouldn't say it's impossible. I just recommend you go to Wildlands and start doing side quests there instead of continuing Luxerion's main story at the start of Day 2.

The thing is with Luxerion's main story, while you can find the numbers straight away on Day 2, you can't get any further than that until midnight. So you may as well do some Wildlands quests which are easily doable at the start, get some stats and then head to Luxerion at around 10PM or something to find the numbers and then finish off the Luxerion main line.

Course you could also wait a bit to finish Luxerions mainline, as the boss at the end can be pretty brutal if you aren't prepared.

As Corpekata said, the start is pretty tough, but once you've got past the initial hump it's not too bad at all really. I think the main mistake a lot of people make is they do the main story and their respective areas in number order, which isn't necessarily the right way to do it.
Can I change it at any time at least?
From what I remember, you can't.

Can you not just right click the game in steam -> properties -> language tab and then choose English?

It defaulted me to Japanese voices for some reason, you can change that on the settings at the main menu.

Tried that, still starts completely in Japanese, no options to switch.

Zafir

I guess the language must be locked at a regional copy level in that case. Wouldn't surprise me, Japan always has seperate editions on steam.

I'd maybe just request a refund from Steam, they should accept it since you most likely haven't played more than two hours. Then possibly try obtaining a EU West/US copy of the game. EU West/US copies tend to be region free.

Edit: Although this would only work if you got it on Steam. If you didn't get it on Steam, you'll just have to try your luck with Support.

Parsnip

Yeah, it sounds like you got the Japanese only version. If your install size (not download size) is about 10 gigs, then that's definitely the case. The version with both languages is about 20 gigs.

Syder

The knowledge isn't completely necessary but it helps in making sense of the storyline. AS others have said, SE released a few cute little story catch-up videos that may help ease that. You'll probably enjoy this if you enjoy JRPGs since it's very... JRPG-y but set in an (relatively small) open world. The game is good, not the GOAT, but good.

Now that I think about it your lack of knowledge regarding the trilogy may result confusing at first, but it may also actually make the characters less annoying.
Do saves or anything carry over between the games in the trilogy or can I just watch the said videos?

Zafir

Do saves or anything carry over between the games in the trilogy or can I just watch the said videos?

Square Enix said you get the rewards from the previous games regardless of whether there is a save on your PC system, and outside of that there wasn't any carry over.

Exentryk

As a tip:
Get Imperil ability from Sahagins in Dead Dunes as soon as possible. It's very useful. Also find Deprotect and Deshell.

HeelPower

g0uzUfd_mCeeiPGUB1A3Maml1mhkv2yKMvMfMHRSIIo%2Cuq57VVciF_WfNOZonY-bScImgUd5bNaSCgrcJW_s0DQ

Wait does this confirm LR has superior lighting to its predecessors ? I don't think XIII or XIII-2 has lighting as good as this.

And Dang@Ground Zeroes lens flare lol

fwnm9Up9vZYK.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Khal_B

Only 3 hours in but I'm really liking the game so far.

One thing that is bugging me though is the darkness in some areas of the town, almost as if the blacks are being crushed. Anyone encounter similar problems or is that just how the game is?

HTupolev

Wait does this confirm LR has superior lighting to its predecessors ?
That's always been clear. It's set up for variable time-of-day, it's got big light sources scattered through the environments which feature full specular reflections (which look pretty good), specular roughness isn't BS'd by just juicing up the cubemaps, there's much heavier use of normal maps, characters have a sort of AO-ish blob shadow in shadowed areas...

Similarly, both FFXIII-2 and LR tend to have WAAAAAAAY higher general scene complexity than FFXIII.

There are reasons that the games that run worse run worse.

HeelPower

That's always been clear. It's set up for variable time-of-day, it's got big light sources scattered through the environments which feature full specular reflections (which look pretty good), specular roughness isn't BS'd by just juicing up the cubemaps, there's much heavier use of normal maps, characters have a sort of AO-ish blob shadow in shadowed areas...

Oh yeah that clearly settles it.

Honestly,how bad of an engine was crystal tools ? They managed to get two major features ,mainly realtime day/night cycle and streaming large open areas,to work in essentially under two years.

I mean this wasn't a 300 man,4-5 years dev time kind of game ,and they still managed to cobble so much together in record time.

Its actually rather impressive.

theofficefan99

This game was just... so... so disappointing. They put literally no effort into the writing, every line of dialogue was complete garbage. All the sidequests were uninspired. The final dungeon was a joke, it reused generic underground temple assets and the one unique area took literally 5 seconds to run through, and Bhunivelze takes a few seconds to load up. What a joke.

Having stat boosts tied to equipment and sidequests was a horrible idea, too.

Battle system was great, as was the music, but the rest was terrible. 5/10. I'll replay the final boss once in a while because it's really fun, plus the ending CGI was beautiful (though the writing was, as usual with Toriyama, insulting garbage), but that's it.

HeeHo

I really enjoyed Sazh's quest in this game. Maybe the writing is corny for the NPCs but a lot of the main characters came across a lot less cheesy than normal.

I enjoyed almost the entire game but stopped right near the end, came back and hoo boy, the last boss is HARD.

Vex_

Banned
Played 3 hours earlier today... And uhhhh somethings I've noticed.

+Valkyrie Profile Lenneth. Going around to "save" corrupted souls before Armageddon. Sounds familiar?

+Persona 3 velvet room music in the ARK (similar?)

+Combat system has no right being this fun. I though ff13 sucked? What the fuck?

+The game overall... Is.... Good? What is happening to me? I couldn't even get past the intro in the 1st one, and the demo of the 2nd one made me stop playing after 5 minutes. This game is much better probably due to full on arpgs being my weakness. I'm a sucker for them.

+playing with Japanese on. This helps. A LOT. Holy shit I never complain but damn. Solid.

-frame rate seems to be 30ish everywhere for me? (980 + i5 4690 ? Not good on nvidia's this time around?)

-Image quality is all over the place. Sometimes it looks blurry as hell. Other times it could pass for some new shit (ff15 or new dissidia).

-textures are also ass. Not all the time, but a majority of the environments are ass.

-character models are solid, but I have to wonder how much Light's head weighs. That shit is huge.

-Light has no thighs whatsoever. She looks like a boy with pink hair... Not that I'm creeping on her or anything.

***story is silly. But it is hard to tell so early on.

Zafir

I really enjoyed Sazh's quest in this game. Maybe the writing is corny for the NPCs but a lot of the main characters came across a lot less cheesy than normal.

I enjoyed almost the entire game but stopped right near the end, came back and hoo boy, the last boss is HARD.

I dunno. I found that Sazh's quest extremely cheesy as well. :p

Perfect Attacks
The "Perfect" Attack window is 1/10 of a second for normal attacks. It's tight. You won't do it consistently without lots of practice. I'm pretty sure the rhythm is the same for the common attack animations though (I was able to pick up the controller yesterday and do a 4-in-a-row without having played the game in 1.5 years, which was pretty surprising considering how much I used to suck at them!).

Don't get frustrated if it takes you a while to get it, though! It's only a +20% damage boost for most attacks, so it really is more of a small bonus than a necessity. The input is right when Lightning can start her next attack; you can use her attack sounds to find the right rhythm, though you obviously can't rely on that entirely because of Lightning's attack lag as you mentioned.

---

Finishers
The "time wasting" finishers do have a noticeably longer animation than your average attack. However, they also do significantly more damage and cause much more Stagger/Stagger Time. Additionally, they cost the same amount of ATB as a normal attack.

If you're going for pure damage, then cancelling the animations with Schemata/ability changes can be a slight gain (particularly in Overclock). However, if you're either A. trying to Stagger the enemy or B. limited by ATB, then doing the Finishers is better than cancelling.

Thanks for the advice!

Exentryk

Another tip:

You can gain 100% resistance to physical/magical attacks on a schemata. Since you can have more than one schemata in battle, you can have both 100% magical and 100% physical resistance in battle.

Golnei

-Light has no thighs whatsoever. She looks like a boy with pink hair... Not that I'm creeping on her or anything.

I wouldn't say a boy specifically, but she does look completely emaciated - combined with the huge head, this is the most off-model she's looked. Even the fetish doll heading up The 3rd Birthday looked more human.

KingBroly

Banned

Yeah, it's kinda weird but I figured something was off. It moved to a smooth 60fps no problem whatsoever. It runs really smooth on my i5-4590 stock, MSI GTX 970 build with no Control Panel tweaking.

In regards to no fullscreen, while it's certainly not ideal, the solution here is a step above 13/13-2 with its' launcher menu. I hate that shit. Ideally, you'd want it inside the options menu somewhere so you're not backing out all of the time. But at least they allow you to reset the game for language settings.

What sucks about the CG cutscenes is that you can tell it's a step below what's in-game. Even though the game isn't that old, they're starting to age which sucks.

This game is bananas.

Everything is going on all the time. It's like Dead Rising all over again, except turned to 11. Stuff starts happening without warning. Solving a murder, walking a wimpy guy 800 ft to his manager, exploring. Boom, Assassins Creed time... from like 800 feet away. Not even Assasin's Creed NPCs are this eagle eyed.

Welp, you're locked out. Explore or wait for the world to end. Running around town, doin' some shit. Suddenly, Blue Conch Cat outta nowhere. Boom, fight. About to pwn em', Stagger ends. Boom, he one shots me with ice magic. Next thing, it's 6:00 am bitches, curfew time.

Talk to Hope. Clocks, missing hours n shit.
Way too thick, SE. Even if I hadn't already been spoiled, I probably would've guessed what they were going for there.

Then crazy story shit starts happening. "Yo, my name's Lumina, sup. B T Dubs, we're in your head. Check that shit out. Wanna see some freaky shit?" "Sure. Wow. Freaky. K, see ya."

Question: "Where do I go now?" Answer: Beats me, dickhead. Here's a huge ass open environment to explore with like a billion side quests to do... one of, 4 apparently. Everything is on a schedule. Be on time or be left behind. You have 5 five days left. Good job dicking away 3 hours trying to fight a Blue Cat in a Conch. Clocks ticking, get busy.

Dude. FFXIII was like...a setpiece rollercoster. XIII-2 was more like a tour, with some interesting alt stops along the way. Even the time travel story was straightforward compared to this.

This is like waking up everyday, going to work for 9 hours, and then having only 4 hours to do whatever before you have to go to bed. Every fricking day is orientation + OtJT, you're constantly learning new shit all the time. Statis is like bizzaro land PTO. You're training coordinator is a Fashonista sporting cat ears, a tail, and a pair of Ray Bans. Your only co-worker is someone you knew from highschool who joined the peace core straight out core, went away for a few years, and showed up again a completely different person... and a Doctor Who fan. He calls your phone while you're out on the floor trying to get work done. You're not supposed to have your cell phone on the floor. You better put it away, or you'll get in trouble with management.

8/10 so far, compelling as hell. I want to play more. But I have to finish XIII-2 first, way more slower paced and relaxing. Here's to hoping the resolution problems get fixed for real.

artsi

Oh yeah that clearly settles it.

Honestly,how bad of an engine was crystal tools ? They managed to get two major features ,mainly realtime day/night cycle and streaming large open areas,to work in essentially under two years.

I mean this wasn't a 300 man,4-5 years dev time kind of game ,and they still managed to cobble so much together in record time.

Its actually rather impressive.

So far I've heard only from GAF that Crystal Tools or Luminous must be bad for some reason. No idea why, but if anyone could provide some actual sources (from people who have used them) it would be nice.

Exentryk

A trainer is out that lets you do the following:

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII V1.00 Trainer +7

Options:
Inf.Health
Fast Kill
Inf.ATB
Inf.Gill
Inf.EP
Freeze Timer
Set Selected Item Quantity

Notice
To get Gill effect open inventory
For Items set quantity cheat to work you should click on an item and once the hand cursor is over the item set the quantity

Haven't tried myself, but the freeze timer sounds great.

Looks like there is another trainer that does similar things - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=08168428026766360552

HeelPower

So far I've heard only from GAF that Crystal Tools or Luminous must be bad for some reason. No idea why, but if anyone could provide some actual sources (from people who have used them) it would be nice.

FFXIII's development was held up for a long time because of white engine which later became crystal tools.

And Luminous has been in development since I dunno late 2010 or 2011.

Both engines didn't have it easy and didn't go on to become unreal engines ,but I think the end results are satisfying.

Top Bottom