• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponti

Subliminal said:
I'm looking forward to the commons debate on thursday. I forsee the government in denial that this is almost entirely their fault.
Can't wait for a bunch of old men pointing fingers at each other while the city burns around them.

stufte

Lakitu said:
I'm not believing the authenticity of this.

Honestly, who the fuck is that stupid as to admit something like that on Twitter? Looks like she is just trying to provoke a reaction. Hence the retweeting.

Same. There are quite a few 4chan style themes in her tweets....

"I'm behind 7 proxies", etc.

Bumhead

Banned
There's enough people being interviewed defending all this "no opportunities, repressed by society" bollocks with nice gear and iPhones on.

God knows how people coped before youth centres and PlayStations.

bobs99 ... said:
Damn the newsagents a few houses away from me just got attacked. Police where on the scene in force though, looked like a good 10 police offices just for one small newsagents lol. Looked like they shoved a few people into a police van. My house is away from shops and generally most places mobs would want to attack so im suprised the newsagents even got hit. Glad the scum got arrested, the guy who owns the place is a good guy.
Which city?

neutralgamer02 said:
Edit: Not defending them, but just saying. When you feel people don't care about you, it is a natural feeling that you would give a shit about them. Maybe this riot can be a chance to highlight the plight of these youth. Calling them scum from your computer screen really doesn't do much but make the problem worse.

There is no plight! These little fucks drop out of school, sign on to the dole and refuse to look for work, they don't want to earn a living, they are parasites and so nobody respects them. All of this shit is mindless violence because they've figured out that rioting and looting in large numbers means the police have less control.

Shiloa

neutralgamer02 said:
Probably because nobody gives a fuck about them.

My mother lived in London in the 80s before coming to the US, and I have been talking to her about the riots. She said she isn't surprised it is happening since many of those type of kids are basically forgetten by society with little employment opportunities. They bottle up their angry and sooner or later lash out.

Edit: Not defending them, but just saying. When you feel people don't care about you, it is a natural feeling that you would give a shit about them. Maybe this riot can be a chance to highlight the plight of these youth. Calling them scum from your computer screen really doesn't do much but make the problem worse.
80s was a different age and since then Britain has had a more and more generous and forgiving benefit system to help those out of work, and there's so many opportunities in education and apprenticeships for anyone of any age who wants to actually do something with themselves. I come from a poor background, but I've never felt impeded by government - it's the people like these that impede those who want to get on.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ponti said:
Because they are hateful people born into a hateful existence.
People aren't born hateful. And hateful people don't always riot. This will happen again if the root causes aren't addressed.

Good bloody question mate. Good question

He explained if they're complaining about being deprived, then why do societies that are far less privileged than they are behave without resorting to thuggery and looting of local towns? There are people with far less than these kids who behave with far more dignity

fenners

jakonovski said:
What is it about England that makes it produce so many mindless thugs? Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have no rioting youth problem.

Ever been in Glasgow on the day of an Old Firm game? :-/

Omikaru

jakonovski said:
What is it about England that makes it produce so many mindless thugs? Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have no rioting youth problem.
Let's not get started on Northern Ireland. Scotland suffers from sectarian violence, and coming from Wales myself, I can tell you that the valleys are a big problem for the people of Cardiff at night.

Get off the train into Pontypridd and you'll be greeted by one of the most horrible sights ever. It's Chavscum central, and the town is so bad they have a giant towering police station in the middle of town, and these really tall black poles with cameras and speakers on top, reminding you not to drop litter and remain orderly. It really is an Orwellian nightmare.

I'd loathe to think what would happen if that place kicked off. Cardiff is only 20-30 minutes on the train, if that.

Meus Renaissance said:
#londonriots stabbing that cop was the best thing that's ever happened to me. I'm keeping my bloody hoodie as a souvenir lol

http://twitter.com/#!/Hey__SoulSister
I think that's a pretty obvious troll. A stupid one, since whoever made that Twitter is going to be arrested, whether they did it or not, but I don't even think chavscum are stupid to admit they attempted murder.

ColR100

Lakitu said:
I'm not believing the authenticity of this.

Honestly, who the fuck is that stupid as to admit something like that on Twitter? Looks like she is just trying to provoke a reaction. Hence the retweeting.
Saying her favourite band is Train under her profile name is enough to suggest she's trolling.

Imagine someone stabbing someone, and then going home to listen to that band.

She got people hook, line and sinker.

Manik said:
Sangat TV just pulled over in their car to give a police officer a lift on the way to catch a fleeing looter.

Haha! A real 'follow that man!' moment.

Last night it was all about Mark Stone, tonight it's all about Sangat TV

quality

caramac

cameron-as-hoodie.jpg

BlazingDarkness said:
There is no plight! These little fucks drop out of school, sign on to the dole and refuse to look for work, they don't want to earn a living, they are parasites and so nobody respects them. All of this shit is mindless violence because they've figured out that rioting and looting in large numbers means the police have less control.

Just saw a computer shop owner being interviewed.

He was absolutely right.

They aren't hungry, they didn't look poor.

Just coming in and destroying people's businesses, burning houses and businesses. These guys did nothing to deserve the treatment they're getting.

What you guys outside of the UK need to understand is that, as cliched as it sounds, they just want to watch the world burn. That is their thrill, their idea of fun. I absolutely do not agree with someone from a deprived area not being able to get a job because I fucking did. I wanted something out of life, and I worked hard for it.

This country does not make it impossible to make something out of yourself.

mokeyjoe

fenners said:
Ever been in Glasgow on the day of an Old Firm game? :-/

That and Northern Ireland had youth riots last year (year before?). Which leaves Wales, with 2 small cities and a lot of sheep.

AngryMoth said:
I really don't think labelling these people as 'scum', 'yobs', etc is going to do any good. They're clearly anger and disillusioned and we can only hope to increase these feelings if we continue to alienate them further from society. Yes, they're actions are deplorable and we need to put a stop to it as soon as possible, but the government needs realise that this a problem with society, not with the individuals.
This touchy feely, sociological naval gazing is the reason we have these problems. We look at criminals and go out of our way to see victims and sad stories. These kids are cycling around in £60 hoodies, £100 trainers and organising their mayhem with £200 smartphones. Later tonight they'll go home to their playstations. They deflect all criticism and any encouragement to reflect on what they do because bleeding heart hippies keep dreaming up these hard-life narratives to excuse and exhonorate them. They have first world problems. Their parents generation and the generation before them had it much worse, they didn't live in this wonderful technological age of plenty, they lived through deeper, harder recessions and wars and national disasters and they never resorted to this scale of anarchism.

Don't give them the benefit and comfort of your liberally minded defenses. They ARE just scum, and rejection and isolation on a social level is exactly what they need and deserve!

Furret

Banned
mokeyjoe said:
That and Northern Ireland had youth riots last year (year before?). Which leaves Wales, with 2 small cities and a lot of sheep.

Northern Ireland has a 'riot season', why do you think they're the only place in the UK with watercannons?

Any major Welsh town is in a perpetual state of riot after about 9pm.

chunk3rvd

Liverpool is in absolute chaos. I've been reading the fire calls as they come into the system for the last hour and it's just insane. Stuff going off everywhere!

Kids near to mine have smashed in a post office with a jcb:

mh94eb.jpg

ghst

thanks for the laugh
neutralgamer02 said:
Not defending them, but just saying. When you feel people don't care about you, it is a natural feeling that you would give a shit about them. Maybe this riot can be a chance to highlight the plight of these youth. Calling them scum from your computer screen really doesn't do much but make the problem worse.
i'm going to answer this with a video i'm sure you've already seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsRwwQJdKjE

scum isn't the four letter word that immediately comes to mind. this isn't disenfranchised youth lashing out at society, this is a mob exploiting someone in their most desperate moment to fulfil their own petty greed.

people keep drawing on parallels between these people and those short selling our livelihoods in the city and wall street by means of defence, i draw on it by means of damnation. in my big society they'd be going top n' tails in the same cell bunk.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
BBC Reporter confirms for the moment it is a group of people deffending to community ATM (i am aware of the rascist undertones) but for now it's people defending Eltham...

no riots or looting

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
anyone got any good links to a working Manchester or Liverpool police scanner ?

I wanna here this shit first hand

chunk3rvd said:
Liverpool is in absolute chaos. I've been reading the fire calls as they come into the system for the last hour and it's just insane. Stuff going off everywhere!

Kids near to mine have smashed in a post office with a jcb:
Couldn't help but laugh. What the fuck is going on!?

Shiloa said:
80s was a different age and since then Britain has had a more and more generous and forgiving benefit system to help those out of work, and there's so many opportunities in education and apprenticeships for anyone of any age who wants to actually do something with themselves. I come from a poor background, but I've never felt impeded by government - it's the people like these that impede those who want to get on.

I see, but didn't these riots start in Tottenham? Why is it that such a place is still so rundown compared to other places in London? My mother said she avoided that place due to little job opportunities. Reading this thread, it doesn't seem it has changed with people calling it the anus of London.

Ponti said:
Yeah and you want to know why no one gives a fuck about them?

Turn on your TV.

Well, of course now, but why did nobody give a shit about them before? Were you referring to them as scum before this happened? Again, I am trying to figure out why this happened.

Bleepey

mblitek said:
I would go vigilante. I have no time or reasoning for these low lifes. I'm disgusted with these people but have sympathy for the good Londoners. I feel as if London has lost their identity with all of the immigrants not assimilating (within reason) and trying to change England to their own country. That's why I like Australia & New Zealand. I live outside Toronto and there are malls where I've been told to get out of, I'm caucasian. What would happen if I said that to an immigrant? It also happened to me in Vancouver & Richmond where Caucasians are the visible minority. Sorry about my rant. I hate seeing people lose their homes & businesses they've worked for while the leeches loot.

Are you kidding me? What race were these people who told you to leave?

Kentpaul said:
anyone got any good links to a working Manchester or Liverpool police scanner ?

I wanna here this shit first hand

It would be pretty damn interesting, but somehow I doubt they give that stuff up?

Melchiah

radioheadrule83 said:
This touchy feely, sociological naval gazing is the reason we have these problems. We look at criminals and go out of our way to see victims and sad stories. These kids are cycling around in £60 hoodies, £100 trainers and organising their mayhem with £200 smartphones. Later tonight they'll go home to their playstations. They deflect all criticism and any encouragement to reflect on what they do because bleeding heart hippies keep dreaming up these hard-life narratives to excuse and exhonorate them. They have first world problems. Their parents generation and the generation before them had it much worse, they didn't live in this wonderful technological age of plenty, they lived through deeper, harder recessions and wars and national disasters and they never resorted to this scale of anarchism.

Don't give them the benefit and comfort of your liberally minded defenses. They ARE just scum, and rejection and isolation on a social level is exactly what they need and deserve!

Totally agree with this.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bet this will all end with an apology of the police about having shot that criminal dude.

jdforge

Banned
mokeyjoe said:
We riot in NI on a weekly basis. There is a demonstration planned this weekend to commemorate the hunger strikers. It's almost certain something will kick off.

But the PSNI take no shit and will deploy the water cannon, fire plastic bullets and make arrests etc

The riot police over on mainland UK look ill equipped and out of their depth. Almost as if they've no control...

Furret

Banned
neutralgamer02 said:
I see, but didn't these riots start in Tottenham? Why is it that such a place is still so rundown compared to other places in London? My mother said she avoided that place due to little job opportunities. Reading this thread, it doesn't seem it has changed with people calling it the anus of London.

Well, of course now, but why did nobody give a shit about them before? Were you referring to them as scum before this happened? Again, I am trying to figure out why this happened.

Read radioheadrule83's post.

Go_Ly_Dow

radioheadrule83 said:

Exactly.

Why work? The government will provide you with all the free health care, housing, food and money that you will ever need!

These people will never contribute to society and they have no intention of doing so either.

They will just slowly suck away like leeches.

neutralgamer02 said:
What should we do? Hold their hand through all their live? They can get an education, they can apply for a job, they have the right to vote. Society has gone out of their way to help these people by giving them money for housing, food, clothes and more. How many help programs have been tried? How many more do you want?

Hell, I'm here in a neighbourhood with a bad name (not in the UK). I get weekly offers for language courses and schooling in my mailbox and people are still complaining they have it hard and are feeling ignored. Get of your lazy ass, get an education, apply for a job, put on some proper clothes and make something of your life yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom