• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 3 |OT| "Family isn't who you're born with, it's who you die for"

vypek

I think I'm nearing the end. I gave up this morning, though, after the FOURTH crash. I'd only had it crash twice on me before, during about 10-13 hours of gameplay, but it crashed four times this morning.

I have some questions, though:

1) When it says you've earned 50,000/70,000 (example), do you have to manually pick that up from a racket?

2) Where the Hell are the garbage barges? I can't find anything. That's the last thing I need for the one racket group.

3) How many missions are involved with the upper tier?

Only one I know for sure is the answer to question 1. 50K/70K is how much of the full potential that underboss is earning. It will go up with side missions. That isn't your share of the money. You can pick up your money from their desk or have the
consigliere get it if you have that ability.

There is a small notice that will let you know when your share of the money is available

Only one I know for sure is the answer to question 1. 50K/70K is how much of the full potential that underboss is earning. It will go up with side missions. That isn't your share of the money. You can pick up your money from their desk or have the
consigliere get it if you have that ability.

There is a small notice that will let you know when your share of the money is available

Oh, okay. I wondered. Thanks.

I've been doing what you said, so I guess that's all I can do. I'd been hoping to get a large lump sum to hit the $150,000 plateau or whatever it is.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
WTF?

Those are the most redundant spoiler tags ever.

Thanks for ruining it. You should have tagged from "when" onwards.

It isn't a spoiler.

as later on Vito says he isn't even sure what happened to Joe.

Either way, I apologise.

vypek

Oh, okay. I wondered. Thanks.

I've been doing what you said, so I guess that's all I can do. I'd been hoping to get a large lump sum to hit the $150,000 plateau or whatever it is.

I don't know if that is the plateau or not but it is when a trophy/achievement will pop up at least. I think its just a benchmark. Over the course of the game you should be able to reach that easily if you make sure to grab money from places you are attacking. Just make sure you store money in your safe as you go along so you don't risk losing it.

Thanks

I wonder how much I have left (I have two more underbosses, two family members/capos and the big bad left.) I hope the game will end soon, because I'm getting bored.

Rellik

It isn't a spoiler.

as later on Vito says he isn't even sure what happened to Joe.

Either way, I apologise.

The end of Vito side mission spoilers:
I thought he said Joe escaped the ending part of Mafia II by punching the guy in the face and escaped to Chicago to lay low, but later down the road the guys you take out on Vito's hit list kidnapped him, chopped his hands off and killed him

I wouldn't be surprised if Mafia IV had you go and grab him in
Chicago
kinda like the way Mafia II linked up with the original Mafia with that one mission.

heringer

To have the option to spare the boss of a racket, do I have to wiretap all of the district or just the spot closer to the racket?

Nyx

Garbage barges are inside a building, they are not boats... (Spent looking for a boat myself)

Had to drive around the district and an objective marker would appear if I was near it.

vypek

To have the option to spare the boss of a racket, do I have to wiretap all of the district or just the spot closer to the racket?

Just the spot where the racket boss has his mission. So once you see that star icon where the boss is, make sure you wiretap that segment of the district

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
HLTB says it takes 17h to complete, is that true ? I'm 10h in and I've basically just killed 2 "Big Guys"

I finished last night with 35 hours on the clock. I did do every single wiretap though and more racket objectives than I actually needed to as well as as many of the side objectives/missions that I could.

Nyx

Think I clocked in 25 hours to see the end credits and I did no sidemissions at all.

I'm usually quite slow though.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think I'm nearing the end. I gave up this morning, though, after the FOURTH crash. I'd only had it crash twice on me before, during about 10-13 hours of gameplay, but it crashed four times this morning.

I have some questions, though:

1) When it says you've earned 50,000/70,000 (example), do you have to manually pick that up from a racket?

2) Where the Hell are the garbage barges? I can't find anything. That's the last thing I need for the one racket group.

3) How many missions are involved with the upper tier?

After repeating the same missions more than 50 times, a few crashes is nothing, trust me.

Can I still do the side missions after I completed the story?

Ladekabel

So is there any substance to Burke's side stories? I tried the second one where
I had to sneak into a place with a few police men. Got shot immediatly.

hbkdx12

So is there any substance to Burke's side stories? I tried the second one where
I had to sneak into a place with a few police men. Got shot immediatly.

Each favor for each underboss is tied to an unlock and some backstory to help flesh out their character as well as (mild spoiler)
increases their loyalty

Aside from the unlocks tied to them i didn't find any of them to be all that amazing. I believe completing burke's give you access to the best machine gun in the game

Ladekabel

Each favor for each underboss is tied to an unlock and some backstory to help flesh out their character as well as (mild spoiler)
increases their loyalty

Aside from the unlocks tied to them i didn't find any of them to be all that amazing. I believe completing burke's give you access to the best machine gun in the game

Yeah then I'll probably don't bother with that. Only using Silenced Pistols and Shotguns. Want to do Vito's missions though. Need to know what they did with Joe.

Is there any way to force this game to save, or do you just have to wait several minutes until it autosaves? I'm always paranoid about quitting because I don't want to lose my progress.

Lashley

Is there any way to force this game to save, or do you just have to wait several minutes until it autosaves? I'm always paranoid about quitting because I don't want to lose my progress.

I always go to settings, display settings and back out and it auto saves for me

SliChillax

Donovan is a crazy son of a bitch, loved him.
Does the mid credits scene mean that Mafia IV will have Donovan as a lead protagonist?

Bluecondor

I will try and not spoil anything specific, but there is an early story mission that is set at the amusement park that is really immersive and makes you think about the representation of race in pop culture/entertainment. The overt racist statements made crudely state ideas/views that are still more subtly made in pop culture today.

For me, moments like this are when the game really stands out. I'll be going along the rather repetitive racket/underboss gameplay loop, when the game will suddenly present an interesting portrayal of racial issues that directly relates to the task-at-hand.

dreamfall

I think it's time for a harder look at the open world genre. Mafia III is definitely getting criticized for its structure (and rightfully so), much like Assassin's Creeed, inFamous, Just Cause, etc. A lot of people are saying that the open world is detracting from the story pacing and progression, and this is absolutely true. I think most players wanted quality set pieces like that of the district takeover missions throughout the entire game, and this calls into question why it was a fully open world game to begin with instead of a shorter, more tightly focused linear TPS game.

I think the visual presentation also leaves a lot to be desired, and so the gameplay flaws seem even more evident. In the Mafia 2 comparison video, features like eating, turning on light switches, getting shoes polished, are also welcome additions that add a bit to the immersion but have no gameplay significance(outside of health regen). I like these little details, there's a real attention to detail that seems neat. I don't mind that missing in Mafia III - and I hope they put out the vehicle and clothing customization soon.

As for the structure, it definitely seems off. It's kind of mind boggling to me how testers, designers and even writers felt like this pacing was appropriate. Now, keep in mind I love the shooting and driving and so getting to utilize those gameplay mechanics in little pockets to clear out rackets doesn't bother me. Even the side mission givers have wonderful dialogue in between the most mundane interrogation or enforcer assassination. But you've got to wonder why someone on Team Lead thought completing a Truck or Boat stealing mission more than a handful of times to strengthen earnings of rackets could be justified. Who felt like it was a good idea to use a single mission to build loyalty? It makes narrative sense in a lot of ways but the mission itself is not creative.

Speaking of shooting, I think it's important to address the fact that the core gunplay mechanics are just as strong, if not stronger, than the best TPS open world games. I'm seeing a ton of complaints about simple A.I., how stealth and whistling makes no sense(and leaves for some hilarious clipping issues), and how the gun play isn't as smart as Mafia 2. Outside of police attempting to apprehend you, I don't see this as a huge step out of line. People praising the Mafia 2 system must have some heavy nostalgia because here, A.I. will chase you down, walk up stairs to search for you, take cover, etc. - the exact same principles built on in that game. I would argue that it's better in combat because these open spaces you're fighting in have different layouts to take cover and stalk. This combat is as good, if not better than Mafia 2. And on PC, with interiors at a solid 60fps with Kb/m, shooting feels sublime.

I think New Bordeaux is a wonderfully crafted city. Each district does feel unique, even with the repetition of doing the same handful of tasks to take a piece of it over. But I will say this, the dynamic street fights in the game really suggest that there are some great systems at work. Getting chased by police, calling back up, getting flagged by a Sentry who runs to call for reinforcements - there are some great combat opportunities.

I like the game a lot, but open world tedium doesn't fatigue me. I've been taking the game slow, piece by piece, and this isn't a game that will hold a lot of gamers' attentions when the mission structure is exposed. I figure maybe more cinematic flair with the side characters would've helped - meeting Alma and Emmanuel for the first time led to some great scenes. But the follow ups of just standing robotically in front of them as they smoke and tell you little tidbits based on you pressing a button to interact takes something away from it, even if the writing is great.

Does this game ever take off the "training wheels," or is that just how it's structured?

To elaborate: I just finished the mission where
you go into the abandoned theme park and kill Ritchie
. Steam shows I've played for 8 hours now, yet I still feel like almost everything is being spoon-fed to me, and that the game is playing out in an uncomfortably linear fashion.

What I had envisioned when I bought this game was a large, open city in which I could tackle the districts/rackets in any order I wanted, go after whichever underbosses I wanted (in any order), so on and so forth. In other words, I expected a true sandbox Mafia-themed game with complete freedom of choice.

Does the game eventually open up to where that's how it plays out, or is it just the "choose from a couple missions, repeat until you've reached the end of the game" formula from start to finish? I sure hope it isn't the latter, because if so I'm going to be super disappointed. I'm just surprised that I've played for this many hours and still feel shackled.

Does this game ever take off the "training wheels," or is that just how it's structured?

To elaborate: I just finished the mission where
you go into the abandoned theme park and kill Ritchie
. Steam shows I've played for 8 hours now, yet I still feel like almost everything is being spoon-fed to me, and that the game is playing out in an uncomfortably linear fashion.

What I had envisioned when I bought this game was a large, open city in which I could tackle the districts/rackets in any order I wanted, go after whichever underbosses I wanted (in any order), so on and so forth. I basically expected a true sandbox Mafia game with complete freedom of choice.

Does the game eventually open up to where that's how it plays out, or is it just the "choose from a couple missions, repeat until you've reached the end of the game" formula from start to finish? I sure hope it isn't the latter, because if so I'm going to be super disappointed. I'm just surprised that I've played for this many hours and still feel shackled.
You've basically finished the most "linear" portion of the game. At this point it will open up with side stuff and you'll get the option of two more Underboss characters to work with in separate districts

It's the same gameplay loop but you have more choices

jrcbandit

I'm also shocked that the incredibly boring go to BFE and pick up a truck/boat and deliver it somewhere got past play testing. Are those side missions necessary to unlock all the perks/upgrades? I only care about being able to purchase all the weapon/car/character upgrades. One of those missions even disappeared for me, the 2nd Cassandra marijuana collection mission.

The end of Vito side mission spoilers:
I thought he said Joe escaped the ending part of Mafia II by punching the guy in the face and escaped to Chicago to lay low, but later down the road the guys you take out on Vito's hit list kidnapped him, chopped his hands off and killed him

I wouldn't be surprised if Mafia IV had you go and grab him in
Chicago
kinda like the way Mafia II linked up with the original Mafia with that one mission.

Yeah but then he says that he's not sure. if you've finished the game, check my quote below.

SPOILER ALERT!

Was that Joe with Leo Galante??

EDIT: Proof! (Spoiler)
Look at the scar on his chin
http://i.imgur.com/6EDnjQt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6I79imk.jpg

If Mafia 3 has taught me anything, it's that I should give more games a chance with subpar metascores. Still having fun and really into the story.

That's why I don't care when some games get 6s or 7s. Those games sometime are more fun than most games that receive an 9 or 10. I'm not expecting Witcher 3 level of polish (it took them two games to get to that level) but I'm expecting it to just be fun to pick up and play. I know that's it's not a popular standpoint but I don't always feel the need to beat every game. I just play until I want to stop and sometime come back to it.

At the end of the day, to each their own with each game and it's always best to try for yourself.

I'm also shocked that the incredibly boring go to BFE and pick up a truck/boat and deliver it somewhere got past play testing. Are those side missions necessary to unlock all the perks/upgrades? I only care about being able to purchase all the weapon/car/character upgrades. One of those missions even disappeared for me, the 2nd Cassandra marijuana collection mission.
Honestly if the driving wasn't so much fun i wouldn't even bother with them

Lashley

Just got Tommy to go after now, assume I'll be finished tomorrow. Have the day off work for my birthday so I'll play this.

22 hours played so far, so fair to say I've had my moneys worth, even if the game itself is repetitive.

dreamfall

Honestly if the driving wasn't so much fun i wouldn't even bother with them

The driving in this game of the sim setting is really ace. I spent so much time just aimlessly wandering and listening to the radio in Empire Bay, and the city here will lend itself to just some amazing driving sessions. I really love Los Santos and all the loving detail Rockstar put into their worlds. I think Hangar 13 did a beautiful job with New Bordeaux also, I'm going to collect everything and just enjoy walking and driving around in it.

Tainted

Garbage barges are inside a building, they are not boats... (Spent looking for a boat myself)

Had to drive around the district and an objective marker would appear if I was near it.

In my game the barges were in the water, I guess it is random for each player though

DukeBobby

Okay, I've taken over all the districts and I think I'm about to start the last mission.

I must say, the last few story missions have been great. In fact, most of them have been great. It's just a shame you have to go through so much tedious shit to get to them.

If the racket takeovers were side content, this would be a pretty good game. Not a great one, but a good one.

Lashley

Okay, I've taken over all the districts and I think I'm about to start the last mission.

I must say, the last few story missions have been great. In fact, most of them have been great. It's just a shame you have to go through so much tedious shit to get to them.

If the racket takeovers were side content, this would be a pretty good game. Not a great one, but a good one.

Yeah, the later story missions are fun. Basically the same formula, but funner locations and some have variety like Olivia's one

DukeBobby

Yeah, the later story missions are fun. Basically the same formula, but funner locations and some have variety like Olivia's one

Yeah, that mission in particular was a definite highlight. I also liked the mission before it, mainly because it was satisfying killing
Remy Duvall AKA racist Nolan North

Rellik

Yeah but then he says that he's not sure. if you've finished the game, check my quote below.

I've not finished yet so it looks like I'm missing something. I'm not too far from the end anyway.

I'll check your quote when I'm done.

That reminds me I want to try and get that trophy that comes from speeding.

I got it immediately after upgrading my car. I think it's 120mph for 20 seconds.

heringer

Gotta say, in terms of minute to minute gameplay and 3rd person shooter feel, this game only loses to MGSV in my opinion. Feels so good to play.

Catdaddy

Tried the watchdogs trick of driving into the water to evade the police. Worked for a minute then sent a boat after me. Luckily got away and no gators. Nice to see that

Braag

Donovan is a crazy son of a bitch, loved him

Haven't finished the game yet (got one district left) but so far I think he's my favorite character in the game. Dude has balls and during the interviews he says it like it is.
Gotta say Lincoln also turned out to be a much more interesting character than what I imagined him to be at the beginning of the game.

Overall the story has been great from the start, the story missions at the end of taking over a district are a lot of fun as well. If the game wasn't so repetitive and concentrated in giving the player more interesting missions instead of dozens upon dozens of recycled ones, this game could've been really amazing.

vypek

I've not finished yet so it looks like I'm missing something. I'm not too far from the end anyway.

I'll check your quote when I'm done.

I got it immediately after upgrading my car. I think it's 120mph for 20 seconds.

Any specific car to use? I need to get the car upgrades that are shown in the arms dealer as a favor to Burke?

Rellik

Any specific car to use? I need to get the car upgrades that are shown in the arms dealer as a favor to Burke?

I used the middle red car that you can have delivered to you. I upgraded it myself with my banked cash at the weapon dealer van.

I don't remember what unlocked that car or the ability to upgrade them though.

Quick question: Do the restaurants, bars, etc. on the map eventually serve some sort of purpose, or do they just exist for you to occasionally rob (or explore)?

I was hoping I could eventually take them over for myself or one of my lieutenants as an extra form of cash, but I'm now ~12 hours into the game and there don't seem to be any signs that functionality coming into the picture. It seems like a missed opportunity if they really do just exist for looks and random robberies.

jmizzal

I see they patched in where we can get our preorder weapons

Are you able to get your preorder weapons free every time you call for the arms dealer or do you only get it free once?

Nyx

In my game the barges were in the water, I guess it is random for each player though

Ah! I had to Google search it first as English is not my native language and saw they are boats. So I spent quite some time in the water around Barclay Mills but did not find any.

In the end it was just a pile of garbage inside a building full of enemies.

Top Bottom