• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia/Werewolf Recruitment Thread | Go on the Internet and Tell Lies.

MattyG

Banned
For main season, we do a new recruitment thread before the season starts and as people sign up (both old and new), they vote for the game(s) they want to be in. Votes choose games

For mid season, it just seems like an announce when your game is ready and you think there are enough non-playing players to fill it.

Edit: And I mean, otherwise, you just need to announce intent anywhere I think. Retro will make you a little secret board on OG if you want so any collaborators can be invited to talk it out with you.

YESSIR

it was my maiden voyage with gafia and it was the one that bit me with the curse and now forever i will blame you for getting me addicted to the game

IT IS ALL MATTYG'S FAULT

as for next season, please submit game ideas to me (either here or through pm) ! i am keeping a list for now but as for which one will run and whatnot, it will be discussed openly once S4 wraps up :D

you dont need to make a board in Outer Gafia, but it helps with setting things up if you need someone else to look at your set-up and what not~

also, what sorian said ^
Okay, sounds good! I'm going to start working on a setup for my Fallout game then!

And yessssss, that's what I thought. I got you addicted and now this is your life

giphy.gif

Ourobolus

Banned
Okay, sounds good! I'm going to start working on a setup for my Fallout game then!

And yessssss, that's what I thought. I got you addicted and now this is your life

giphy.gif
I know I'm reviewing a ton of games, but this is definitely one I want to play.

UltraJay

Wait, is that right? 1pm PST is 7.30 am where you are?

And yesss Droplet join us! Are you doing exams? This will be a great break, that's important while studying.

That's what happens when you live on the other side of the planet. GMT+9:30. For reference, I hail from Texas which is GMT-6.

I'm up for any game where lag doesn't affect anything. Starbound is impossible for me to play with you guys.

Gorlak

Banned
So are we going to change the "first come, first serve" mechanics for the mid season games?

We could keep the ranking list for the players up-to-date, but that'd be a lot of effort. I'm certain we will face a situation when more players want to join than possible and we need a solution for that!

Also have we established the code of honour to not join a midseason game, while you are still involved in the main season? Because several HP players want to join FF and I can totally understand them, I'd like to as well, but I don't want our game to be affected by it.

nin1000

Banned
So are we going to change the "first come, first serve" mechanics for the mid season games?

We could keep the ranking list for the players up-to-date, but that'd be a lot of effort. I'm certain we will face a situation when more players want to join than possible and we need a solution for that!

Also have we established the code of honour to not join a midseason game, while you are still involved in the main season? Because several HP players want to join FF and I can totally understand them, I'd like to as well, but I don't want our game to be affected by it.

General consensus is that you only play in one game at a time. I think that still stands.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I'm strongly in favour of banning people from joining the mid-season games if they are in the season games. The mid-season games are less important to our community, I don't mind if people play in multiple mid-season games because if some fail that's fine, but season games are the point of contact for new players and determine our retention rate. If any mid-season moderators notice that one of their players is still active in a live season game, just politely informing they'll have to sit this one out would be great.

as for everything else, I think we'll just have to accept the horse has bolted what with FF up and going already. When we do the seasonal review thread, we'll talk about these things with more purpose.

I think the current mode is that the game runners just fill the lists and if more people want to sign up kick players that are in others games and then veterans one by one.

its still first come, first serve, gorlakie!

for mine, im restricting the ones that are still playing in another game to play in Heist

other game runners may have different policy.

also i manage a priority weighting for each gafia player, so that's no problem :) the sign up for my game is listed based on the ranking : D

Ourobolus

Banned
Did you read the books or just guessing
I looked closely at it and realized it was a +0, +1, +2 cipher, then set up a spreadsheet with all of the possible combinations (3^14), then I meticulously scoured the list removing weird combinations, like the first word not having any vowels. Then I used an algorithm I designed in Python to parse through the csv file to determine commonly used words, but since I wasn't sure what the rationale was for each letter and how far each one was off, I had to modify the algorithm with some complicated phase shifts and quantum mathematics. After a couple hours of running, I came up with two options - "go fuck yourself," and "ho fuck yourself." I assumed you didn't think any of us a ho, so I went with the much more jovial phrase.

I guessed. Made sense to me the moment I looked at it.

Kawl_USC

Also for the record, Yenny, I'm currently alive in HP but I have a hard departure date. If the vanilla game is starting sooner than that I can bow out if that's an issue.

Hi everyone! I'm brand new; I've read several of the Mafia threads with great enjoyment and have been waiting patiently for my account to be approved so I can join in.

Is it too early to sign up for Season 5? If so, could somebody let me know how I'll be able to know when signups open? Don't want to miss it! Thanks.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Hi everyone! I'm brand new; I've read several of the Mafia threads with great enjoyment and have been waiting patiently for my account to be approved so I can join in.

Is it too early to sign up for Season 5? If so, could somebody let me know how I'll be able to know when signups open? Don't want to miss it! Thanks.

it's never too early, but you could just jump into the mid-season games if you wanted. :p less of a wait.

Gorlak

Banned

Hello my new friend and a warm welcome to Gafia! I'm very glad you found us and sure hope you'll enjoy your time with us. If you want to start as early as possible you can just join the Final Fantasy or Heist mid-season game (read: shorter games with about 16 players). Both of those games will start soon.

One word of advice though: don't listen to Crab he's insane and can't handle vowels properly. Otherwise you are good to go :)

Writing role PMs

is just

the worst

I dunno, I think it's pretty fun. Once you get a template done writing the flavour is a blast.

You could sign up for the Final Fantasy game I'm working on right now! I was gonna delay it until the other games finish up but if we can get enough signups who aren't currently playing games we can start soonee!

Have you guys ever thought of asking the Mods for help with stuff like sending PMs out i.e. temporarily disabling the 60 second wait between PMs?

MattyG

Banned
I'm sure it's fine if you enjoy writing, but to me that's the least interesting part.

For future games I'd probably co-mod/beg someone else to do the flavour for me.
OH, I'd be willing to pitch in flavor for anyone who doesn't like doing it. I'm a writing/English major and pretty much all my courses right now are writing based so, no surprise, that's my favorite part of setting games up.

Ourobolus

Banned
OH, I'd be willing to pitch in flavor for anyone who doesn't like doing it. I'm a writing/English major and pretty much all my courses right now are writing based so, no surprise, that's my favorite part of setting games up.
Yeah, I'm a computer science/mathematics major, so I don't mind helping either.

I really am interested in the idea of designing games, but the GAFIA ending should've demonstrated clearly enough that I'm crap at writing flavor

I cringe every single time thinking about it now

roytheone

None of you get to write any of my batman flavor. Some of the flavor in the role pm's make no sense and is completely random, just the way I like them :)

Top Bottom